Quick Case Study: Adrienne Smith

The Adrienne Smithfifth edition in a series of posts that highlight one Expert Author who has achieved success by doing just one thing exceptionally well.

By her own admission, Adrienne Smith was a “horrible student and barely made it through high school” and even as an adult has “difficultly comprehending the written word.” But instead of running away from all things literary, Adrienne chose instead to embrace those challenges and help others. “Writing articles is not difficult, she says. “Most people that I speak with are afraid to undertake this because they don’t see themselves as a writer. I didn’t consider myself a writer either but my passion is helping others. If I can explain something in an article, then I have done what I set out to do.”

According to Adrienne, “The secret to writing a good article is to write as if you were talking to a good friend – your articles will comes across much more personable and real this way. People try to make things more difficult than they really are. When people are searching for a particular topic and run across my article, they find that it’s simple, to the point and easy to understand.”

Keeping her motivation level high is key to her success. “I don’t put pressure on myself that I have to write an article each and every day,” she says. “Some days I may write several and other days I may write none at all. I only write when I have something to write about so I don’t pressure myself into just adding to my collection. That way I believe that my articles are worth sharing.”

Despite her challenges, finding topics to write about is fairly easy for Adrienne. “I keep a pad of paper on my desk,” she says, “and when I run across a topic that I think will be interesting, I write it down. I also listen to what other people are saying. People are always searching for some type of answers to the problems they are having so I try to give them as much information as possible that will help them locate their solution. If you take the time to learn how to write a good article on the topic your target audience is searching for, you can receive a lot of free traffic to your site which also leads to sales.”

“You will get a lot of mixed reviews about article writing,” she tells us, “but I have found it to be very rewarding. It’s a great way to get started and it doesn’t cost you anything but your time. Article marketing has been a huge reason for my success so far online.”

For Adrienne, keeping it simple, working to her strengths and writing for her target audience are the attributes that make her a successful Expert Author and Article Marketer. Take a lesson from Adrienne, because these same attributes can work equally well for you!

Leave a comment below for Adrienne. I’m sure she’d be glad to hear from you.

shekhar writes:

I really gained a lot from your inspirational words, earlier I was only a lawyer but now I am a lawyer cum author and working on three books, one has already been published, I am also writing articles for various law magazines in India. Hope u keep inspiring us, I owe my success to you to a great extent.

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Adrienne writes:

Wow Shekhar, I’m so very touched. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that I have inspired you in some small way. Keep up the great work my friend and I hope to be reading some of your books soon.

Nicholas Wind writes:

That’s a great story Adrienne.
I’ll be carefull how I word this but
I don’t think you are one of those 20-35 year olds born with a computer in your hands…
so to speak.
I’m not either.
At 54 now I’m reinventing myself totally for the last few years and things are going well.
One of the reasons for that is I have 2 blogs and have or still am learning to become a better writer of blog posts and articles.
I always have been a voracious reader since being a kid so I think that really helped me in my writing.
From reading your story above it seems you were not a reader so kudos to you for moving forward and being an inspiration for those who are afraid ..I guess to start.
The link goes to an article I wrote.
If you have time maybe you can let me know what you think of it.

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Adrienne writes:

Thank you Nicholas and you are definitely correct. I’m no young lady born with a computer in my hand. I remember working on my first computer and having to learn DOS… Does that bring back memories???

I also enjoy reading but haven’t had a lot of time to read for pleasure. It’s mostly been to learn.

I’m happy to hear that you have a couple of blogs out there and I have no doubt that you are already an inspiration for others. I read your post and I think it’s good. You speak from the heart which I believe is what counts.

Thanks so much for commenting.

chris swain writes:

great news good stuff From reading your story above it seems you were not a reader so kudos to you for moving forward and being an inspiration for those who are afraid

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Adrienne writes:

Thanks Chris, I appreciate your comment. I didn’t grow up enjoying reading but took it up later in life. Just haven’t had a lot of time lately. I’m happy to hear that I have been an inspiration to others. That is so touching and I’m so appreciative.

I love your two key points about writing as if you were talking to a good friend and writing on days that you feel up to it. I can see where your articles reflect both those things. Great job Adrienne and thanks for your very worthwhile input!

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Adrienne writes:

Thank you so much Larry for taking the time to comment. It’s very much appreciated.

Janet McGuire writes:

Adrienne, Thank you for this article. I like the idea of writing as though you are talking to someone. That appeals to me because it is easier for me to talk than write.

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Adrienne writes:

I’m glad that was able to help you Janet. People will connect with you so much more if they feel you are talking directly to just them. I’m sure you’ve had some of those moments yourself. That’s how I try to help others who are just starting out. Glad to hear that has helped you as well.

Hi every one

Is thanks enough, or say great thanks.
Appreciate, your unique innovative idea.
Big friendship, big play
Big play, love forever.

Adrienne, wonderful job done and excellent move with motivation step to improve own self, free.

A-APPROACH
D-DIRECTION
R-RESPONSIBLE
I-INNOVATIVE
E-ENERGIZE
N-NOBLE
N-NUMBER
E-EARNING

LOVE SAYS GREAT ARTICLE FOREVER.

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Adrienne writes:

Thank you, thank you, thank you… Love the abbreviations there. Might have to steal that from you. Now why didn’t I think of that??? :-)

Benita Tyler writes:

You made a great point and reminder that is easily overlooked by beginner writers. Keeping the target audience in mind helps create content that’s interesting and informative. Great post, Adrienne!

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Adrienne writes:

Thank you Benita and that is definitely a key point when writing. Your target audience is the reason you are writing the article.

Hiram "Mayor" Evans writes:

Great job Adrienne on your success and your suggestions and approach to writing. Likewise, I see that you have given thought to, and are sharing, how you’ve discovered that your primary life’s joy is in helping others. But I really like that it is noted that whereas you might not have been the top student in high school, you did not give up and have found that you have a purpose in life and that it is communicated to others through the writen word.
Continue on and do well.

I think that it is a wonderful piece.

Hiram “Mayor” Evans

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Adrienne writes:

Thank you so much Hiram for your lovely comment. I’m living proof that you don’t have to be the smartest kid in school in order to excel in life. I use to think I was horrible in English and spelling until I started working in the corporate world and found how easily it all came. I had to scratch my head and wonder where that came from. But I’m just grateful that it did and now I’m able to inspire others to do the same.

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Truly there are generational eye openers, men and women with special abilities to make people see what they need to see so they could go forward.I believe you’re one of them. Every business has what is called “trade secrets”. Discovering these secrets is the high way to success. Thanks for the insight, am truly on my way to success.

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Adrienne writes:

Thank you so much for your comment Sharon. I am so deeply touched by all the wonderful comments I am receiving from this post. I am honored that I am able to help anyone even if in just some small way. Here’s to your success.

Hi Adrienne,

I found your comment very helpful and inspiring. Growing up I love to read and said that one day I would become an author of a book and I feel that I will very soon. I enjoy reading stories such as yours because it truly motivates me. I love to help people as well and it has been to my advantage so I’m grateful to find a kindred spirit such as you. I also look for things that inspire me to write which makes it easier and have been trying to find out what people are talking about. My suggestion to find out what people are talking about is to go to Google trends.

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Adrienne writes:

I can relate to you as well Christine. I would love to write a book some day and continue to tell myself that I will accomplish it. Maybe we can motivate each other to achieve this goal. I appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much.

Cheryl writes:

Good job Adrienne! I enjoyed reading your article and congrats on the success! You deserve it!

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Adrienne writes:

Thanks Cheryl, I appreciate that.

Brenda Thomas writes:

Adrienne,
You mention that you look to people to let you know what interests them. How do you find out what people want to know?

Thanks,
Brenda

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Adrienne writes:

I listen to what people tell me. Whether it’s in a comment from a post, an article, a video message I created, chatting on social networks or they call me on the phone and relay to me the problems they are having. You can also go to places such as Yahoo Answers, Google groups or any forums regarding the topics you are interested in. People share their problems, concerns and are looking for some type of answer. Those are good places to start.

mikevideo writes:

Yes, I agree with you. To do everything, passion is the most important.

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Absolutely Mike.

Sonny Dinger writes:

Thank you for being so helpful, Adrieanne, that is the kind of reading I always liked, very inspirational,
Sonny

Comment provided June 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Adrienne writes:

You are so welcome Sonny. Glad to know I was of some help.

Matthew Eigbe writes:

I have always feared writing articles maybe because I have heard and read many times that you have to be specially talented. Even though I’m stepping into this area now, the fear is still there. But your story has done a lot to kill it.

Thank you very much and more success, Adrienne.

Comment provided June 3, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Adrienne writes:

I had a fear myself in the beginning Matthew. Venturing into unknown territory and thinking people were going to laugh at me. But you get past the fear and just keep going and it gets easier and easier. I have no doubt that you will be a wonderful writer because I can sense that about you. My favorite saying is “you don’t have to get it right you just have to get it going.” Good luck to you.

Vuhelp writes:

Good job.

Comment provided June 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM

kara writes:

Way to go Aunt A!!! So proud of you!!!

Comment provided June 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Adrienne writes:

Ah thanks so much Kara… That means the world to me. Love you!

Connie Rose writes:

This is FANTASTIC Adrienne! You are always an inspiration to me. Your enthusiasm for life is infectious and I’m glad I caught that bug! :) Keep up the GREAT work!

Continued blessings to you,
Connie

Comment provided June 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Adrienne writes:

Ah thank you SO much Connie for your kind and generous words. I really appreciate it. I’m so touched.

Ingrid Camacho writes:

Thanks Adrienne for making me less afraid to write a blog post. I like your simplistic approach.

Ingrid Camacho

Comment provided June 3, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Adrienne writes:

Glad I could help Ingrid. Just jump in there and start writing. It will become second nature before you know it.

Maricica Balint writes:

Congratulations, Adrienne! You’re a fighter and also a winner! I guess I should take example from you and his fear was that when I want to write an article.
Thank you very much for this information!

Comment provided June 4, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Adrienne writes:

Thank you Maricica. By the way, what a lovely name!!! Definitely, the fear will always be there until to walk through it. We are all afraid of things we aren’t comfortable with but once you jump in and just do it, the rest just falls into place. The bottom line is that if I can do it, anyone can. To your success!

Debra J. Mosely writes:

Adrienne,

I’m so happy that I found your article. I am inspired and encouraged by your words to create the vision in people’s minds when they read my future articles.

I will follow your stories from now on. Knowledge is power, and you are like the electric company’s power plant!

Keep up the great work.

Debra J. Mosely
Author, The Cake & Cookie Closet: All Dolled Up in Sugar
thecakeandcookiecloset.com

Comment provided June 4, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Adrienne writes:

Thank you Debra for your wonderful comment. You definitely put a smile on my face. I will look forward to reading some of your future articles.

Larry Icabandi Nabiong writes:

Wow! Adriene, you really are one best article writer. What with your desire to influence others through your writing you really deserve an applause. Yes, we need writers like you to let others see the light and make them forget that they have been in the darkness of ignorance. Through effective article writing strategies, others might be enlightened and who knows might realize the beauty of living, learning and loving in this chaotic universe. Keep up the good work and good words would come…as naturally and as easily you write your great articles.

Comment provided June 5, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Adrienne writes:

Ah thank you Larry… You don’t know how much I appreciate that. I really do enjoy helping others with whatever obstacles they seem to have problems with overcoming. The written word has helped a lot of people understand certain issues and I enjoy inspiring others to do the same.

Shirley Hoke writes:

I have been trying to get my blog together for quite a while. This evening I decided to go to EzineArticles for some ideas and inspiration.

What a wonderful surprise to see your picture and then to read your article, which I loved! I am so happy for you. I sure found the inspiration I needed. Thanks Adrienne. You’ve always been an inspiration for me.
Shirley

`

Comment provided June 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Adrienne Smith writes:

Thank you Shirley for your wonderful comment. You need inspiration!!! You are an inspiration to me and I know to others.

I hope you found what you were searching for here at EzineArticles. There is so much wonderful, helpful, useful and great information here that others have provided on so many different topics.

I’m still always just a phone call away if you need me.

sriramraj writes:

Now i understand why EzineArticles is hub of experienced article writers. I was really impressed with this case study. I like the way you love to write articles

Comment provided June 20, 2010 at 2:50 AM

Adrienne Smith writes:

EzineArticles is a wonderful place to display your articles. You don’t have to be an experienced writer to be a part of this community. Like me, I just enjoyed writing and by continuing to write more articles, I continued to improve. I just want to thank you for your wonderful comment.