Fitting Article Writing into a Busy Schedule

How to overcome the challenge we all face: Finding the time to simply write.

Most newbie Expert Authors fall into one of three categories:

1. “I love writing and I write all the time.”
  2. “I’m a decent writer. I think I can do this.”
  3. “I am definitely not a writer. Help!”

Even if you love writing and write all the time, the idea of churning out a constant stream of 400+ word articles can be a bit daunting. However, anyone with a good grasp of the English language can be successful in article marketing. You don’t have to be a pro novelist or newspaper feature writer to create brief, informative pieces that will attract readers and drive traffic to your website.

Some writers have the luxury of being full-time writers. Writing articles is just something they fit into their schedule with the other projects that fill the day. For the rest of us, though, it can be a challenge to fit writing into an already busy schedule. Whether you’re a doctor, a lawyer, a realtor, a professional affiliate marketer, or a stay-at-home mom, it can be tough to fit one more thing into your already-packed schedule.

Yet frequency is the key to success in article marketing. So it’s imperative that you find time to write and submit fresh articles every, single day.

7 Tips for Finding Time to Write:

1. Carry a Small Notebook with You – Or use your Smart Phone’s notepad feature. Or keep a word processor document open all day and constantly jot down ideas. Real-life experiences are great fodder for new articles. When you do have time to write, just weed through the list you’ve been accumulating, pick an idea or two and dive in!

2. Set Aside Time daily to Write – It’s harder to ignore writing when it’s written as a regular event in your schedule.
    • Write articles right away when you wake up. What better way to productively enjoy that first cup of coffee than with pen and paper (or keyboard) in front of you?
    • Block a “meeting with yourself” into your day and just sit down and write for a few minutes.
    • Use the first half-an-hour after the kids go to bed to sit down and write.
    • Schedule a full day every month and write 10+ articles that you can publish one at a time over the next couple of weeks.
  3. Use Outlines – Make outlines of each article before you begin to avoid being sidetracked. They’re especially helpful if your writing sessions are frequently interrupted because you can pick up your train of thought quickly after the interruption.

4. Avoid Perfection Paralysis – Write your article. Come back to it later and read it through once or twice. Correct any glaring grammar or punctuation mistakes and make sure it reads naturally. If English isn’t your forte, have a friend edit your article for you. Then just hit submit! Don’t hesitate, and don’t dawdle fixing minuscule issues. Maximize your time by minimizing your need for perfection.

5. Make Writing a Priority – Article marketing works. As with any other endeavor, you simply have to be willing and motivated to make the time for it in order to be successful.

6. Make Writing a Reward – Treat your writing time like a reward for other hard work. Give yourself a quiet place to write, maybe with your favorite music and your favorite beverage (we suggest Author’s Brew, of course!) and relax into the joy of writing. In other words, run to writing, not away from it.

7. Ask Other Authors How They Do It – Or read our blog archives and learn from the successful authors we’ve spotlighted in the past.

What it really comes down to is this: If you want to write articles, you must find time to do it. Everybody is different, so learn to write when you are at your most productive. Make it consistent and get in the habit of writing at a certain time or on a certain day. Then stick with it. Eventually, it will become a habit.

Key Point: Quality is imperative, but quantity is more important than perfection.

If you can make the time to write, you’ll start seeing the returns immediately … not to mention that sense of self-satisfaction that comes from accomplishing your goals and knowing your work is being read by people from all over the world.

Carve out some writing time in your schedule now. Then stick to it! And leave a comment here to let everybody else know what method worked for you.

What an idea!!! I really love the words- “Quality is imperative, but quantity is more important than perfection.” But I am falling in Third Category.

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Dan writes:

I agree that once I get started, I’m pretty good at churning out 3 – 4 articles. My biggest problem has always been scheduling priorities. It seems that the “social network” starts to intrude a little more each day. Things like tweets, Facebook updates, etc. are becoming more important as my business grows (these are not personal social network distractions).

I like the idea of scheduling a block of time in a calendar. I think that could be the best trick for me.

Thanks for the post.

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Janine Libbey writes:

Great advice. “Make writing a reward” is a fantastic idea.

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

jai writes:

Its really helpful for me.Being a new to article marketing as well as English is my second language,but when I went through I get encourage far more.thank you for your awesome informations.

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

daniel writes:

some really really good bits of advice for a new guy like myself, thanks a lot highly recommended!

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Eamon Greville writes:

Thanks Penny

Useful reminder of the need to balance quality and quantity!

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Dini writes:

You always make my mood to write raise up. Thanks’ for a lot of idea that you give to me. I really love EzineArticles

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Sonia writes:

I agree with tip number 4. I usually start writing and then walk away from it for awhile and come back with my mind totally refreshed and ready to edit and submit…works every time!

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Sue writes:

Tend to write first thing in the morning with my first cup of tea. Must write more. Some good tips to follow here

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 1:59 AM

sreekumar writes:

I recently started writing. My subjects were different. Now my doubt is whether I should concentrate on subject people viewed more.

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Gail Manishor writes:

Excellent article. Thank you.
I love writing and I write daily, however, I am having trouble balancing writing my new book with writing articles and blogs and keeping up with my reading.

I think it’s important to read to learn more so my writing becomes better.

I’ve rearranged my office which is making me feel much more productive.

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Janna Chan writes:

Dear Chris,

I’m really benefiting from your postings about writing and perfectionism. In fact, I think you should write an e-book about the subject.

I fit into category 1, and those of who love to write are trained to be very judgmental about our work and the work of others.

However, creating quality content quickly is more important than agonizing over how people will judge us if we make the wrong call about whether or not anal retentive should have a hyphen.

Thanks for creating such a great blog.

Best,

Janna Chan

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Charlene Hall writes:

Awesome highlights here!! Thanks for the tips, sharing this with my team!!

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Shamim writes:

Thanks for the sharing……….

I am a newbie blogger. And u knw, if one wants to survive in the SE then he/she must have to deliver quality articles per day.

This post will help me very much….

Comment provided June 30, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Ben writes:

Hi Penny,

Thanks for the 7 tips! I usually have problems writing articles due to my busy schedules.

A good one to start with is tip no. 2 and also to avoid tip no. 4.

Will start implementing your tips and hopefully to submit more articles.

Comment provided June 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Whooooorrraah! I agree Penny. And I like your list there, as there were two that I hadn’t considered to the full-extent, which may prompt me to write more articles on the topic – thanks!

I would like to add a couple;

1.) Digital Recorders; Digital recorders are very inexpensive, I think you can pick up a really good one for about $30-40 at Walmart even. You’d be amazed when you get a good idea you can merely, talk into it for 2-4 minutes and it is about a page of text, or 500-600 words.

2.) Speech Recognition Software; Hey, it’s a lot cheaper than it used to be Dragon Speak has sales for between $99-199 and Microsoft Vista and the latest operating system has one built in for those with disabilities, it works good too.

3.) Combined Digital Recorder w/Speech Recognition; talk into the digital recorder and then plug it into your speech recognition software. About 98-88% accurate.

Speech recognition will spped you up by 2/3 the time, and editng is mandatory to fix tiny mistakes, but it forces you to really look at the document when editing. Time is always…of the essence! Use it wisely and win. Everyone has the same amount of time, it’s a level playing field starting out, it’s how you choose to use it which will decide if you are going to be going to be in the top 20% or bottom 80%.

Speaking of which your blog post was very timely, as I have been procrastinating and need to get back to my writing, so I better end this post here, and turn it into an article.

Comment provided June 30, 2010 at 11:45 PM

On Lance’s recommendation, I installed a speech-to-text app on my iPhone. I use it constantly for small memos and longer written pieces. It’s a great way for me to ‘write’ blog posts, articles, etc. during my 25-minute commute. I agree with his accuracy estimation, but think of the text that’s created more as a starting point than an end product. I use it to capture ideas and general structure. Then I email that to myself and refine it in my text editing software.

Besides, some of the inherent typos created by the software are hysterical and worth the aggravation of having to do some occasional editing. I sometimes think the incorrect words and phrases are intentionally picked for my amusement. =D

Joan Lynch writes:

Nice ideals. However I still hate writing. I’m a pragmatist and like things short and sweet.

Comment provided July 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Joe Akers writes:

Very good article. I know that I too must surrender to writing articles and I haven’t been looking forward to it.But after reading this article I feel fresh enthusiasm for accomplishing this dreaded task. I like the idea of the digital recorder. Thanks for making this article available.

Comment provided July 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Geoff writes:

I like this one “Carry a Small Notebook with You – Or use your Smart Phone’s notepad feature. Or keep a word processor document open all day and constantly jot down ideas. Real-life experiences are great fodder for new articles. When you do have time to write, just weed through the list you’ve been accumulating, pick an idea or two and dive in!”

I tend to put anything I think I can write about on my ‘notepad’ then come back to it when I have time to write an article.

Comment provided July 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM

Francis Nmeribe writes:

Great strategies which I have practiced and found helpful. Thanks Penny.

Comment provided October 2, 2010 at 5:42 AM

Romana writes:

I have small notebooks in my car, at work and in my purse. When I have “an idea” I make sure to jot it down immediately. This helps me in my newsletter and ezine article ideas.
I look forward to all my EzineArticles emails… Thanks everyone for doing such a great job!

Comment provided October 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM

jon bone writes:

Yes I think practice make perfect, so I thinks its important to make time to write an article

Comment provided October 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM