Expert Author Case Study: Steve Shaw

Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to British Expert Author Steve Shaw, a self-proclaimed article marketing expert and founder of the popular article distribution service

Steve Shaw

Status: Platinum
Member Since: Mar 3, 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Active Articles: 148
Article Views: 12,468

Reading Steve’s advice on article writing and marketing is like reading something written by EzineArticles. Much of what he believes and promotes is identical to what we do here. The big difference, however, lies in the fact that Steve isn’t just an Expert Author. He’s also a self-appointed agent for EzineArticles and a host of other article marketing sites and publishing venues.

Steve’s site,, serves as a liaison for author’s looking for additional assistance in their article writing and marketing efforts. This role gives him a unique, yet oddly familiar, perspective on what it takes to be a successful Expert Author.

As part of our ongoing Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Steve to share his thoughts on article writing and marketing. His responses may sound like much of what you’ve read here before, but they’re true value lies in their repetition and validation of tried and true methods of achieving success.

• Steve, what sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

I am an article marketing expert, and tend to always write about article marketing tips and strategies. Through the service I set up some years ago now, I’ve helped thousands of clients achieve their own article marketing successes.

• What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

Two things – consistency, and effective keyword research. In terms of consistency, it’s important for ongoing success to write articles on a regular, ongoing basis, rather than just write a batch of articles at one time, get them out there and then stop. Effective keyword research means you’re not just targeting your articles on topics that likely prospects are actively searching for online, you’re also creating links back to your site in the most effective way possible, i.e. through appropriate use of anchor text.

• How do you stay motivated to write articles?

Once you get into the habit, it becomes just that, a regular habit, and the ideas on what to write about just keep on leaping out at you. I don’t find motivation an issue.

• How do you decide what to write about?

Often it’s queries and questions from customers – this may be either directly to our customer support, or via comments on our blog. They may highlight something they want to know about, and that can then form the basis of a great article. It’s also led by keyword research, so looking for long-tail keywords within my niche with low competition, which would form the basis of an article – ‘how to’ type keyword phrases are ideal, often that gives you the title there and then.

• How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

Quality and consistency are more important than quantity. The better links, and therefore the greater results, will come through the use of higher-quality articles, especially as nowadays publishers are becoming far more discerning. One high quality article is worth far more long-term than ten low quality articles that no one’s going to publish.

• How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

We get traffic from a wide variety of sources, but we’ve had thousands of hits from EzineArticles over the past few months.

• How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

It’s absolutely central – content is king on the internet, and not only is article marketing powerful in itself, but the content that you create in the process can be used and further adapted for a wide variety of purposes.

• If you had to start over again, what would you change?

Nothing. I’ve had successes and failures like everyone else, but each experience has been a valuable learning one that I’m glad to have had.

• What advice would you give newbie article marketers?

Do some decent keyword research, and get a list of keywords that you can use as a reference going forward for creating numerous articles – then at least you’re not starting with a blank page each time and wondering what to write about. Keep an eye on what comes in from customers and prospects, as their questions can form the basis of really great articles within your niche and focus on exactly the sort of information your potential customer base is looking for. And keep going! Don’t just give up after a couple of articles.

• Anything else you’d like to share?

There’s a world out there that exists beyond the online world, which is easy to forget when you spend a lot of time online. So don’t be so blinkered on succeeding online that you forget what exists around you when you’re offline – turn the computer off and the whole online world disappears in the blink of an eye. Spend at least a day, preferably two, a week, where you don’t go near a computer, and reconnect with reality – balance in all things is so important.

Steve’s Advice in a Nutshell:

1. Write articles on a regular, ongoing basis.
  2. Practice effective keyword research. Search for, and use, long-tail keywords within your niche.
  3. Get into the habit of writing and the ideas will just keep leaping out at you.
  4. Use questions from readers and customers as a source of ideas.
  5. Use “how to” type keyphrases to boost effectiveness.
  6. Remember: 1 high quality article is usually worth far more than 10 low quality articles that no-one’s going to publish.
  7. Article marketing is powerful in itself, but the content that you create in the process can be further adapted for a wide variety of purposes.
  8. Embrace failure; each experience is a valuable learning tool.
  9. Keep going! Don’t just give up after a couple of articles.
  10. Spend at least a day, preferably two, each week, where you don’t go near a computer, and reconnect with reality.

What Steve shows us with his advice is that article writing and marketing really isn’t rocket science. Most, if not all, of the factors that contribute to success are common sense practices that almost anybody can understand and utilize.

So why not take some of Steve’s advice and put it to good use today. And, as always, leave a comment for Steve. I’m sure he’d love to hear from you!

Walki Arisme writes:

Steve thank you for that great advice. The only thing that confuses me, and that I keep reading about is the key words. How does that come into play when trying to promote a cause? Can you give me a very small example from your writings as to how you use the keywords?
Walki Arisme (can you tell I am new tothis?)

Comment provided June 24, 2010 at 6:22 PM

sreekumar writes:

A long tail keyword with nothing substantial in the head, is it that way the Article writing should go?

Comment provided June 24, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Kelly Frank writes:

You are right about stepping back away from your computer for a few days because a little reality can revive your articles and give you a whole new perspective. Getting that far off computer gaze as my husband calls it makes you look like you are in another world. It also takes away the reasons you are doing article marketing and that is to have more time to live and have fun writing.

Comment provided June 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Jon writes:

Your Bio as it were; Stirs my need to keep writing so that I can endorse what you have said. My hidden fear is Spelling, thank god for spell-check! Thanks for the encouragement in writing this bit of information.

Comment provided June 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM

nfl jerseys writes:

This article is so interesting, I like it, thanks

Comment provided June 25, 2010 at 5:09 AM

Gail Hess writes:

Thanks for an interesting and informative article.

I especially like the advice of getting off of the computer a day or two a week. Sometimes I get in a “writing frenzy” and bury my head in the computer for way too long. I am going to make a conscious effort to “come up for air” more often!

Comment provided June 25, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Andy Weil writes:

You have a very easy and natural writing style. Just finished reading your case study. I have started to write recently and so am really new at this. I will try to follow your articles among others to learn more and hopefully become a sought after writer myself.
Your New Friend,
Andy Weil

Comment provided June 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Herman writes:

Dittos on making writing a habit and publishing articles consistently. I’ve got into the habit of writing for 30 minutes in the morning before checking email, etc. If the article is not finished within 30 min I complete it the next day. This enables me to feed my blog 3x a week with new content.

Your article reminded me to get back to submitting articles to EzineArticles on a consistent basis.

Comment provided June 27, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Eamon Greville writes:

Good article

Always useful to remember to target quality over quantity.

Also to take breaks – too much activity can be counter productive!

Comment provided June 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Steve, Thanks for all the tips.

However, I could not but notice that you have been submitting 148 articles for 5-6 years with only around 12 and a half thousand views. Bit ordinary for an article marketing expert is it not?

I am not trying to be facetious – over to you guys for your thoughts!

Comment provided June 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Steve Shaw writes:

Walki Arisme – you might like to check out a couple of posts on our blog for more help with keywords (click my name on this comment to go through) – don’t want to put the link in directly, but look for the posts ‘Marketing With Articles: Are Keywords Really That Important?’ and ‘SEO Article Writing: Using Different Types of Keywords in Articles and Resource Boxes’ in particular

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Steve Shaw writes:

sreekumar – no, you can focus on the long-tail keyword, but you’ve got to obviously ensure you’re providing value to the reader

Kelly, Gail & Eamon – absolutely!
Jon & nfl jerseys – you’re welcome
Andy – thanks and good luck
Herman – first thing in the morning when the mind is still fresh is the best time (you might be interested in the ‘How To Create The Perfect Writing Routine’ over at our blog)

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM

sreekumar writes:

thank you for the reply. I shall endeavor to follow your guidance.

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Steve Shaw writes:

Gerry – good observation, though you’re assuming:

(a) I’ve been submitting articles here consistently for all the years since I first signed up, in fact the majority are within the past couple years

(b) view count on a single article directory is somehow a measure of expertise (really?) and more important than my own experience of 8 or so years of article marketing on one level or another, and advising and otherwise sharing the experience of thousands of clients doing article marketing – in fact in terms of view count alone there are a large number of factors in play which affect view count (eg. article longevity, the niche you’re writing in, other places where the same article might appear and outrank EzineArticles for certain keywords, and so on)

(c) view count in a single article directory is an important determinant of whether an article marketing campaign can be deemed a ‘success’ or not – in fact, article ‘views’ and from there a certain percentage of actual click-throughs to your site is the ‘icing on the cake’, the real results come longer term from SEO ranking improvements, and short term traffic spikes from publication of articles in ezines with significant subscriber bases.

If view count is what you want to look at, in fact I usually get far higher view counts for the same article published in my own article directory than at EzineArticles (as do my clients), and for the 174 articles I have there at present, the combined view count is over 355,000, with some articles exceeding 30,000 views, one over 40,000 and one over 60,000. Not all SE-driven in terms of traffic, but interesting and significant none-the-less.

In terms of client articles showing the same effect, here are a couple picked at random where I could find the same article published on EzineArticles, all published a week or so ago with similar results:

“Put Your Skills to the Test with a Web Design Work at Home Job” 1 view (probably me) at EzineArticles vs. 109 views in our own article directory

“Work Injuries Require an Expert Worker’s Compensation Lawyer” 1 view again at EzineArticles vs. 92 in our own.

Interesting stuff, and hopefully some more useful info for people reading this … almost an article in itself, now there’s an idea ;)

Comment provided June 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Lanette writes:

Giving the reader a quality article is always the goal. A quality article will inspire and this one did just that!

Comment provided July 1, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Fran Civile writes:

I really enjoyed reading this case study – I am very
familiar with Steve’s writing style because I suscribe to
his Submit Your Article newsletter.

Although I constantly try to follow his advice about successful article writing. I still found the above exchange of comments and responses by Steve instructive …

Congratulations on your success Steve,

Comment provided July 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Dita writes:

Thanks for this wonderful article, all the comments and Steve your answers to them too. Writing consistently is such an important thing. I’ll try to implement it in my life.

Comment provided July 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM

ian amor writes:

Most experts suggest using keywords which relate to the theme of your website? I do the reverse, I find keywords which are most searched for on Google trends, then write an article about the keyword.
It does require you have a certain business model to take advantage of this strategy but it works …

I am getting around 450 opt-ins a month at nil cost and about 30 mins work per week … I have not launched the site yet so don’t know how much increase marketing would bring …

It might be a strategy some readers might try ?

Comment provided July 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM

edwin writes:

How do i find out about how clicks and views certain authors received in in the most viewed articels section?

Comment provided October 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM