Titles – The Key to Your Articles’ Success

This post was updated on May 9, 2012 at 2:11 P.M.

Discover one of the best ways to quickly and easily improve the overall performance of your articles.

Your article’s title can have a significant impact on the success of that article. The first 3-5 words of your title can dramatically increase how much traffic your article will generate back to your website. You could have the world’s best article, but if you have a poor title you’d only see a fraction of the potential traffic a great title would bring.

Ensuring that your titles are keyword rich and benefit-oriented will help your articles achieve maximum readership and exposure.

So how do you create article titles that will drive massive traffic back to your site? Well that’s what this 5-minute video is all about. In it, I’ll give you some valuable tips for finding and formulating titles that not only describe your articles’ contents, but also attract readers and push your articles toward the top of the search engine results.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     m4v Format     MP3 Format

Video Recap:

• Use the EzineArticles Title Suggestions Tool – This tool gives you effective, hand-crafted, keyword rich, data-backed titles that you can use for your articles. Every title is created in house by the EzineArticles team and is free for everyone!

1. Log into your My.EzineArticles.com member interface

2. Select the “Write & Edit” tab and then select “Title Suggestions
  • Writing Your Own Article Titles – You want to have keyword rich and benefit-oriented article titles that clearly indicate what the article is about.

• Use keyword research tools such as Google Insight, Google Suggest, WordTracker.com, KeywordDiscovery.com and GoodKeywords.com.

• Find words or phrases that have a high search volume and include those words or phrases in your article title.

• Focus on the middle-to-long tail of the market by using long-tail keywords.

• Use benefit-oriented keywords.

• Think of your target audience when trying to use positive connotative type words.

• Don’t use special characters in your title (We highly recommend not using anything other than letters).

• Don’t keyword stuff.

• Have article title writing sessions.

• Write titles first (your mind will subconsciously pre-write parts of the article for you).

As you begin writing your next set of high-quality, original articles, spend a few minutes writing the titles first. Follow the guidelines above and make sure the first 3 to 5 words of your title are going to help drive more traffic back to your website or blog.

What strategies do you have for writing effective titles? Leave a comment and share them with the rest of the EzineArticles community!

Betting System writes:

Great advice and really helpful video :) I will think about this the next time I submit an article to EzineArticles.com. Thanks !

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Davis writes:

Thanks for the continuing support and ideas. This was a helpful session for me.

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Gongyi writes:

Thanks alot! EzineArticles Title Suggestions Tool is really helpful for me.

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Donna Patterson writes:

I’ve written 50 articles and just now paid attention to the title tutorial. (duh)

I’ve been working harder; not smarter.

And thanks also for the suggestion of just sitting 20-30 minutes to write titles. I’m sure that will help a lot.

kudos

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM

George Webster writes:

I have just barely begun to use EzineArticles and I am sure glad I found this nice little video before beginning.

This will be really beneficial so that I can drive more traffic to my websites.

I like the strategy of focusing on middle to long-tailed keywords instead of the more competitive terms.

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM

It seems like the principals of the “title” follows you everywhere. You hear it with your blog titles, page titles and even eBay titles. FYI, I learned the hard way; on my Facebook Fan page, I naively named it by my company name (only two words, “Amazing Animation”).

This would have been great if I had a well known name like “Dell” or “Coca-Cola”, because I later found out (after accumulating a bit of a following) that your page name should be treated like a title, for search engine purposes! Plus, they give you quite a few character spaces to put a lot of phrases.
Facebook pages, I heard were ranking well in the search engines lately,

Too bad though, once you commit to one name, it can’t be changed.

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Mike writes:

Thank you for sharing. There is a lot to learn out there and avoiding pitfalls is helpful. What would you have done differently?

Bob Weinstein writes:

Excellent insight on title selection. Thank you for the great work.

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Raymond writes:

Thanks for the Post: it seems so obvious YET the most forgotten.
I spend so many times trying to get the “perfect” title it ends up being “imperfect”
Cool! some of those keyword tools I haven’t used before.
So my watch out for my next killer title article

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 4:06 PM

FrugalXpat writes:

This is very useful.. thanks for sharing such great idea…

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Love the shirt!

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Hi Marc,

The Title Suggestions Tool is fantastic.

Some of the benefits I have discovered with using it are…

# You guys have done the research, the hard stuff…now all I need to do is write the article

# Great ideas are generated from the suggestions that are offered

# I have a deadline to use what I choose, this keeps me focused

Thanks once again for the video, you really do explain things well.

Regards,
Marylyn(SuperNan/Nannie CanDo)

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Jennifer Slater writes:

Your emails are always right on the mark and your suggestion about setting a timer was exactly what I needed. You can do anything for just 10 minutes, and chances are once I get started I will continue until I’m finished. Thank you again.

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 7:15 PM

thanks for read article and your share info sir

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 8:03 PM

nuala writes:

I am finding all the information you so generously impart to us, of great value. Many thanks .
Nuala.

Comment provided May 22, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Sandy Halliday writes:

I think I took notice of your writing titles guide quite early on when I started to submit articles. It certainly made a difference getting the keywords in the first few words.

Comment provided May 22, 2010 at 12:53 AM

It would be helpful if you put the most popular tag words or key words on your front page, or at least somewhere on your website that members can access them and find out what are the best tag or key words to use.
If you already have a place where you do have tag or key words a member can access, please advise.
Sandra L. Lerner

Comment provided May 22, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Every article is different and you want to choose the keywords that best describe your article. Using the most popular keywords may not be the best solution either, since you really want to aim for the long-tail.

These posts might help clarify:

Keith writes:

I agree totally – one of my articles written in HAHD3 has been getting 50+ article views per day, just because I picked a title from your suggestion tool that really did the business!

And a nicely timed comment – I switched the computer on to do some research on the Google keyword tool for article title ideas!

Comment provided May 22, 2010 at 4:37 AM

Sourav Dasgupta writes:

It is often said that “Morning shows the day” – it is more realistic than optimistic to find our article read by a many as we come up with a targeted title for our articles

Thanks Marc

Comment provided May 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Bryan Wong YH writes:

I think what you’ve mentioned is spot on with regards to writing good titles for your articles.

Finding words or phrases which generates high search volumes does create more article views from your viewers.

Comment provided May 23, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Chuck writes:

Thanks Marc for the helpful video to get great keyword titles. Can’t wait to try it. I’m going to check it out now.

Comment provided May 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Martin Security writes:

I have a question about the Title Suggestions Tool.

Are the titles suggested many times? Or are they suggested only until someone submits an article with that title?

Great tool whatever the answer.

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Once a suggested title is used it’s removed from the pool of potential titles.

Martin Security writes:

Ahh, that’s what I was hoping.

Thanks Marc.

Emily writes:

very good tips :)

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Marc, I get it!

You’re the Voice of GARY!!

Is it True??????????

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I can neither confirm nor deny that rumor. ;-)

nuala writes:

I submitted an article yesterday, using the Title Suggestion tool. I really think it is terrific, just waiting for article to be approved.Hopefully I shall notice a difference from other articles I’ve written. Thanks for all the information.

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Marc, I won’t say anything if you don’t!

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 5:18 AM

steven brown writes:

Your advice is priceless,there so many Gurus out there peddling advice that only a rocket scientist can understand.
Your advice is very simple.My motto is kiss.keep it simple stupid(smile)

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Pascal writes:

How could I be so stupid not to pay attention to my titles the way you explain it. Great info!! Thanks!!

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 7:30 AM

I remember changing one of my article’s title (or perhaps it was a blog post or video), and remembering a dramatic change in traffic. Title suggestions work so well, as does the free keyword tools available on the net (mainly Google).

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM

This is the first video of yours I’ve watched, as I’d so much rather read than watch a vid – but it was great, so I will watch again. Best thing was it was nice and short, but packed full of good info, which I will now use! Thanks.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Glad you liked it! We really do try to keep things short, sweet and to-the-point.

If you’d like to see more, you can see our whole video collection here:

Or on our YouTube Channel:

David writes:

“Don’t use special characters in your title (We highly recommend not using anything other than letters).” I have just discovered this tip and will use it heneforth at my Blogs: completeinternetbiz.com and emploiurself.com

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM

steven brown writes:

When submit my articles I have to rewrite them in order to comply with the 2 percent rule. I have to leave out certain keywords.But now I will add those keywords into the title.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM

steven brown writes:

I need my reading glasses on when I write,I don’t want to seem illiterate.When I submit my articles I have to be conscious of the 2 percent rule,other wise I have to spend time rewriting my articles.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM

rose writes:

——————
rose

Comment provided May 28, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Forex Training writes:

Besides making sure an article is not too “hyped-up,” i.e. when I write about forex training, in my honest opinion, the title is the most important factor in determining whether or not your article will gain the credibility that you intended.

When I write about forex courses, forex training, and forex training programs, the key is to make sure I can draw them in with a good title. Then, once my mindset is correct, I can write a better body of my article as well.

Comment provided June 10, 2010 at 3:45 PM

John writes:

Excellent points! I’m a deconstructive writer, so the title is the last thing I write. Your angle gives me even more inspiration to make my content richer, by making the title richer as well. Keep the good advice coming!

Comment provided June 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM

your tips and advice so worthy to improve my article in my website
thanks a lot again

Comment provided June 23, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Gamers Online writes:

Good tip on hgow to give an article a impactful title. when you consider how the new Visibli toolbar offering presents your RSS feeds titles, also emphasizes how important the 1st 3 words in the title are to the reader.

Comment provided August 25, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Patrick Moore writes:

Nice Video but it needed an explanation of WHAT exactly is a long tail key word – and some examples

Comment provided October 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Patrick, this Blog post and video should answer all your questions: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2010/02/demystifying-the-long-tail.html

jon bone writes:

Titles can make a difference. I think it is good if you can make it a headline

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM