Creating titles for a series of related articles is easy – provided you follow 3 simple guidelines.
We often refer to the concept of “article sets” – articles that are related, yet stand-alone. If you write article sets for any length of time, you’ll inevitably create a few in which the articles are so interrelated that they fundamentally form a sequential series – one where each article flows naturally into the next.
Trouble is, EzineArticles by its very nature is not conducive to a sequential series of articles. Readers tend to find your articles as single links in the chain rather than the entire chain … and most will not be inclined to search for those missing links in your article series. So using common literary title additions like Part 1, Part 2, etc. isn’t recommended.
The key to solving this dilemma lies in creating titles that are optimized for the unique nature of articles in a series. Understanding WHY proper titles are so important will help you discover HOW to create the perfect titles for your next series.
3 Vital Considerations for Titles in an Article Series:
- Articles Need to Deliver on the Promises of the Title – If your title reads “10 Tips to Regrow Your Hair” but only one tip is given, the article has not delivered on the promise made in the title! If you tell your reader that something’s going to be there and it’s not, you’ve just created a negative user experience and severely reduced your credibility as an author.
- Articles Need to Stand Alone – Ask yourself, “Does the reader have to look at my other articles in this series to get the benefit?” If the answer is no, then the article stands alone. Articles that stand alone amplify the power of your series articles by providing so much benefit that the reader seeks out more articles written by you.
- Articles Need to be Optimized for Distribution – Remember, the traffic your article receives on our site is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to potential exposure. The problem is that series articles rarely get picked up and distributed. Publishers are looking for specific content – so not everything in your series will be applicable to them.
So how do you write series article titles that are distributor friendly? That’s easy – just remove the numbers!
Instead of using phrases like “Part 1 of 3” to identify your articles in a series (boring and SEO unfriendly), use a phrase with applicable keywords (interesting and very SEO friendly)!
- “5 Ways to Produce the Perfect Video – Hiring Qualified Talent” – BAD – This article doesn’t deliver because it only talks about one issue, not five like the title promises.
- “Producing the Perfect Video – Hiring Qualified Talent” – PERFECT – This title is specific, still in a series and optimized for success – exactly what readers and publishers are looking for!
In the end, everybody benefits when your series articles’ titles are optimized. Your readers have a positive user experience. Our Editors get the pleasure of approving your article quickly. Distributors and publishers quickly find the information they’re seeking. And best of all, you’ll increase your potential of getting more readers, additional website traffic, increased exposure and enhanced credibility as an author!!
Leave a comment to share how you’ve achieved success with series articles.