#HAHD 4 Video Swag Review

Swag -noun: A slang term for free promotional items … often pronounced or spelled shwag or schwag. (Wikipedia.com)

Let’s face it, we love to give stuff away. We’re especially well-known for our highly coveted mugs, which are treated more as trophies than beverage receptacles. First-timers are often amazed at how much effort top authors will invest merely to lay claim to an EzineArticles mug.

In the last year, our Hundred Articles in a Hundred Days Marathon Challenge (#HAHD) has clearly become the poster child for our obsession with shwag (our preferred spelling). As a reward for writing and submitting 100 articles in 100 days, we send each qualifying member an assortment of cool promotional items.

We just passed the 3-week mark in #HAHD 4. This is the point in the challenge where we typically start to see a separation between the truly dedicated Expert Authors and the author wannabes. So we figured it was time to remind you of what you’re working toward … or could be working toward … if you were to enroll in the #HAHD 4 Marathon Challenge.

With that thought in mind, we put together this 2-minute video to highlight the selection of fine promotional items (aka: shwag, booty, goodies, prizes, etc.) that are being offered up for #HAHD 4.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

So why do we do it?

Why do we give thousands of shwag items away to Expert Authors who are already getting tons of value out of every article they write? Here’s why:

• Motivation – We know it’s tough to stay motivated day after day to write and submit articles. Having something to work towards, no matter the monetary value, makes forging ahead just a little bit easier.

• Recognition – Not everybody is a star performer. Those who are deserve to be rewarded in some way for their hard work and dedication.

• Reminders – We try to focus on promo items that you’ll use. Items that will be in front of you all the time, remind you that today is the perfect day to submit your next set of high-quality, original articles.

• Gratitude – We think you’ve made a wise decision to use article writing and marketing to promote your business, your passion, your organization or yourself. None-the-less, we also realize that your efforts are the foundation of our success, so we just want to make sure we say thank you. :-)

• Affirmation – One of our primary goals is to increase your credibility as an expert in your niche. Being in possession of these awards says to the world, “I’m a published author with EzineArticles.com!”

• Competition – Many of our members thrive on competition. Promotional items serve as trophies to be lauded before their competitive peers.

• Happiness – Giving stuff away is a source of great joy for us. Receiving free stuff makes you and other members happy. We’re happy; you’re happy. Happy people don’t fight, do they? So think of EzineArticles shwag as our little contribution to world peace. ;-)

• Promotion – When you use an EzineArticles promotional item, people are bound to take notice. When they do, questions get asked and testimonials are given. That leads to new members. New Members = Growth = Success for Everybody.

What motivates you? Leave a comment and share it with the rest of the EzineArticles Community.

Henrik Blunck writes:

It’s a nice competition, and the first 100 articles have been submitted. I would have liked a progression bar for the 200 – but guess I will just have to set the personal goal at 200 to get that one rolling… :-)

Keep up the good work. Nice videos.

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Blaine Moore writes:

Henrik – I’ve got a 200 article progression bar in my members area, as well as my personal goal progress bar.

I hit the 100 article mark last week but then I got busy and haven’t submitted any since…need to get off my butt and get some more in. :)

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Rob Britt writes:

I’m thinking if you do 150 articles you should get a tote to put in the tote bag. Otherwise it’s just an empty bag. Just my two cents…

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Jan writes:

I really have to work harder now to get the next mug because my son likes the first mug I got so much he has seconded it every morning, noon and night! Oh well…back to the keyboard.

BTW, a “swag” in Australia is what a swaggie used to carry. A swaggie was a ‘tramp’ (I believe you call them in the US) who used to walk from town to town during the depression looking for work. On their backs they all carried a swag which consisted of a blanket wrapped around all their worldly possessions, tied up with a piece of string or if they were lucky had a leather belt wrapped around the swag holding everything together. A tin billy can always hung off the bottom of the swag so he could get it easily to “Boil the billy for a cuppa”. This swag was also sometimes called a ‘Bluey’ too if they were a bit more ‘up market’ LOL…just some useless info to interrupt your day with :-)

Also, one of the most famous Australian songs is “Once a jolly swagman, camped by a billabong…”

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Blake Ratcliff writes:

What is the most articles anyone has submitted I wonder?

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Blaine Moore writes:

23,718 Articles according to the top authors report. I’m not sure how many in a specific 100 day challenge, though…I think that for the last one they mentioned somewhere in the mid-700s was the top submitter.

You are correct, Blaine. The top number of submissions for one author in one challenge was 727 in #HAHD 3.

Sam writes:

“We just passed the 3-week mark in #HAHD 4. This is the point in the challenge where we typically start to see a separation between the truly dedicated Expert Authors and the author wannabes.”

Hm, that’s interesting. I’m 25 articles in (aiming for 100), and while I’ve felt enthusiastic until now, just this week I’ve started to have a few thoughts about giving up. In my case I’m doing the HAHD to promote my site & wasn’t sure if this was the best use of my time, but now I’ve got clear about exactly what I hope to gain from it (because for me, just writing for the sake of it isn’t enough), my motivation to finish has returned.

Plus I really want a mug!

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Don’t even think about giving up, Sam! You’re on track right now and if you keep writing one article each day you’ll stay that way.

Hopefully some members will chime in here. Previous qualifiers will tell you that it’s worthwhile to keep forging ahead and it definitely gets easier with each article you write.

Good luck! :)

Sam writes:

Thanks for the encouragement Marc : ) No, I’m definitely not giving up now, and have written another 14 articles. I just had a little temporary lapse in my motivation, & will revisit this post if it happens again!

Lisa writes:

Great stuff! I love it. And tote bags are cool! :) So is that journal. And my office wall has an empty space for that clock. I better keep writing. :P

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Rocky Torres writes:

Nice competition!!!

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I wrote 5 articles in the last couple of days, it was marathon effort for me!

A question to Gary, I mean Marc! If you keep submitting articles every day does this have an adverse effect with Google. I’m not real tech bright so it’s a genuine question!

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Re the last Comment I have delayed submission of those articles for fear of Google slapping me.

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Akm Mustofa writes:

I am newcomer in article world but i was submited one article in digg what i will do?

Comment provided May 28, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Akm,

Can you please be more specific on what you are asking?

Comment provided May 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM

That TOTE BAG is killer, and I get reward miles at the grocery store for using my own bags. You know when they say paper or plastic? I will now be all about saying; “EzineArticle’s Expert Author” tote bag! Yeah! I will load all my favorite and healthy foods inside, especially the proper food items for enhanced cognition; aka brain foods, so I can keep writing more articles.

By offering a tote bag, we can all help the environment by taking these bags to the grocery store when shopping. It’s a great idea.

Comment provided May 31, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Agree with Lance the tote bags are a good thing.

It would be interesting to know how many EzineArticles authors have participated in all four challenges upon completion of this 4th challenge. Of course for new authors, this would not be applicable. Also how many started out in each challenge and how many completed each challenge may also be interesting data.

Having put this goal on my back burner due to a variety of other goals, I am now playing catch up. Submitted over 10 articles in 2 days. I still should finish with a couple of day to spare.

Comment provided July 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Its good initiative by EzineArticles to increase credibility of writers and boost their knowledge in their niche. One of the most thing is reward because it works as catalyst in performance.

Comment provided August 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Loretta writes:

SWAG = Stuff We All Get ;-)

Comment provided September 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM

This what “swag” really means, I thought it is something bad, but it is not. There are indeed many blogging sites who are open to share their promotional items to their readers and this is one way to draw more readers, at the same time give the brand/product extra advertisement.

Comment provided February 15, 2011 at 12:53 AM