Expert Author Case Study: Andy Britnell

Today’s Expert Author Case Study examines how British Expert Author Andy Britnell combines the power of creative story-telling and no-nonsense data analysis to create a winning article writing and marketing strategy.

Andy has worked as a professional musician, a cheesemonger (someone who sells cheese) and in hotels, including Claridges and the Savoy in London. He spent 15 years latterly designing and delivering international management, sales and graduate development programs.

He now lives in Somerset, UK, where he runs a training and coaching practice specializing in sales, customer service and personal development training for the private and public sectors. He is an accredited coach and trainer of the Insights Discovery System which is a model based on the pioneering personality profiling work of Carl Jung.

We recently asked Andy to tell about his path to success. What we discovered is that, once again, no two Expert Authors are alike. Andy brings his specific skills and experiences to the table and combines them to create a strategy that is not only highly effective (he averages 1,600+ views/article), but also uniquely his own.

1. Andy, what sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

I have an ability to make complex or intangible material accessible by using a pertinent story to illustrate the idea and using language patterns to keep the reader’s interest.

2. What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

Using two brains and two personalities. My partner, Judy, is my editor and helps to correct grammar and provide objectivity. I am more creative and subjective. The secret is in the mix.

3. How do you stay motivated to write articles?

I keep an eye on the statistics to see what is working. If people are reading and using my material, that inspires me to write more.

4. How do you decide what to write about?

Very often I’m motivated by something that happens to me – for example: poor customer service, an annoying situation where positive thinking has helped solve the issue, a story I have picked up or a significant event at a workshop I have delivered.

5. How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

I don’t – for me quality is really important. Less is more, both in keeping articles snappy and to the point (no waffling) and in being tough with my material by throwing out my darlings!

6. How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

EzineArticles gives me sustained quality traffic rather than peaks and troughs – it represents about 18% of my total traffic and visitors stay longer and view more pages. That’s because it is targeted traffic made up of people who are interested in what I am talking about.

7. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

Well, if the purpose of your marketing plan is to deliver targeted traffic to your site then it would represent 18% of my marketing time spent on writing articles every week. On average that is a 50-hour week, so that represents 9 hours of time.

I once heard someone say that you should spend 70% of your time marketing yourself which would mean spending about 6 hours a week writing articles. I don’t spend anywhere near that time, so one thing this exercise has taught me is that giving more time to article writing would help me to realize my website objectives more quickly.

8. What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

The reporting tools are great, but the one thing that I look out for is the monthly email with the top performing articles and the keywords used to find them. That helps me to hone my SEO for titles, keywords and descriptions. I also find following EzineArticles Twitter stream useful since it provides useful snappy reminders to keep me on track.

9. If you had to start over again, what would you change?

I’d make more time to do more, sooner.

10. What advice would you give newbie article marketers?

Turn article writing into a good habit that you love to do. Get help from someone who has a different personality than you to give you constructive feedback. Use multi-sensory language so people can see, hear, feel, taste and smell what you are writing about. Use stories to bring your subject alive. When you start to do this it will help you to capture the interest of more people with your writing.

11. Anything else you’d like to share?

That last quote is so good that we’ve decided to turn it into an EzineArticles tweet – thanks, Andy, for that tidbit of wisdom! :-)

It’s clear that Andy has a lot more to offer the EzineArticles community than simply snappy quotes, however. He also has a lot of sage advice to share.

Here’s a recap:

• Use a story to illustrate the idea.
  • Use language patterns to keep the reader’s interest.
  • Have a working partnership with somebody of a different personality type than you.
  • Keep an eye on the statistics to see what is working.
  • Use your own experiences as a source of article ideas.
  • Keep articles snappy and to the point (no waffling).
  • Be tough with your material by throwing out your darlings.
  • Use your article performance reports to hone SEO for titles, keywords and descriptions.
  • Follow the EzineArticles Twitter stream – it provides useful reminders to keep you on track.
  • Make more time to do more, sooner.
  • Turn article writing into a good habit that you love to do.
  • Use multi-sensory language so people can see, hear, feel, taste and smell what you are writing about.

Now figure out what’s unique about you. Then really capitalize on your uniqueness by integrating your skills and experiences with the knowledge you’ve gained from Expert Authors like Andy Britnell. What you’ll create is a style and strategy that is not only highly effective, but also uniquely your own. Sound familiar?

Please leave a comment to let Andy know what you think of his approach and to ask any questions. I’m sure he’d love to hear from you.

David writes:

‘Use your article performance reports to hone SEO for titles, keywords and descriptions.’ That’s a great advice. I will go out to implement it immediately.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Amareal Smith writes:

Hi Andy,I just want to say you are a great writter keep it up.

I am a newbie and i am interested in learning,how can you help me to learn article marketing.

Regards,sweatcuredeck.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Andy Britnell writes:

Hi Amareal

Thanks for your kind feedback. All these great comments have got me thinking. Time to write some articles about how to write a good article. Watch out for more from me on this subject

Best wishes

Andy

Carla Gardiner writes:

Thanks Andy for a great tool to use. I am a novice and quickly had two articles accepted here at EzineArticles.com…then just as quickly my third was never accepted. Try as I might, I just couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it…so my mentor told me to forget it. Move on, write something else, fresh.

I like the bullet points you provided, concise and to the point, this will help as I get back to writing.

Carla J Gardiner

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Thank you for your simple and profound wisdom Andy. Telling stories is such a primal part of our humanity and it connects us together while bridging concepts with emotions. Great insights and I will be following your wisdom in the future. Thanks EzineArticles.com for the expert author case study. Very helpful.
Abundance, Lori

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM

…[Which means] you only need to improve by a few percent in order to get much better results…

Andy that quote just inspired me no end! Thanks for the rest of your interview, too.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Geoff writes:

From a fellow Brit, well done Andy, you’ve made some excellent points. I must keep in mind, no more waffling.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Nice info. Just started submitting two weeks ago.
I’ll have to use the story line concept.
I boil down my stuff to the least words needed instead of being long winded. My present goal is to submit 1 a week. So far two submitted and two accepted. Not a lot of readers yet. Perhaps I’m using the wrong subject.
Thanks for the information. I’ll be looking forwardto the top keyword report coming out. Didn’t know that existed.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Greetings Andy,
Your article provides great insight into the creation of content that is well thought out and evocative of an artist who cares. I especially appreciated the fact of you using language patterns to keep the reader’s interest. Like a great novel or suspense thriller you must use word pictures to engage. Like music it must flow. I look forward to reading more of your articles.

Cheers,

Steven L. Viscuse

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Sean Breslin writes:

Enjoyed that one Andy… The little snippet about Tiger made a valid point… no wonder Ezine want to borrow it from you!

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Joe writes:

as a foriegner its hard to make a pure article.

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Geoff Shilton writes:

Good advice from someone who has “done it” is pricelss. Thanks Andy.

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 4:00 AM

Devid writes:

thanks

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 5:17 AM

brian moore writes:

Thanks Andy I am only on my forth article and a lot to learn, but thanks to you the learning will be much easier.

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 5:42 AM

Marleen writes:

This is excellent advice. I have not been very motivated to write in a long time, and just started writing again. I will try to use your advice in my articles.

Thanks

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Andy, thank you for that great source of information. I’m a blogger and I like to give my viewer information that empower them, the tools you have listed will allow me to communicate information in a more effective way. Your ideas has inspired me to make changes to the way I inform my readers. Keep up the good work!

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 6:43 AM

After seeing this post through email, I too went to go visit your writing Andy. Love it. Some of the concepts I was able to use today!

Def’ love the tips on writing concepts and brainstorming. Thanks for the insight!

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Funom Makama writes:

Wow! I am good at writing stories as well and I seriously thought of integrating stories to my articles, but I felt it wasn’t professional. Now my eyes are really opened to another dimension of adding more spice to my articles. Tnanks so much Andy. I hope one day, newbies like me would be writing feedback to me, just like I am doing right now to you.

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Andy Britnell writes:

Hi Funom

Thanks for your comment. In fact my next article is going to cover this aspect of writing – using a story to put our point across.

keep an eye open for my next submission

Best wishes

Andy

Louise writes:

Your article was timely and inspiritational to a fledgling article writer. I found the idea of using the senses to illustrate was super and I’ll endeavour to do this in my own writing. As a Tarot reader now a writer on Tarot, I can link the senses to the Tarot suites.

Will now buckle down to some better writing.
Thank you for the guidance.
Louise

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Ben Vageline writes:

Hello from Ben…I have an expansion point about your collective personallities in writing and editing. You have a great point–having another person pre-read and offering alternatives. I run into difficulties with this, as nobody in my circle seems interested enough to offer changes or criticism. So I am left on my own. However, I find that if I let a writing sit, be it an hour, or better–days, I am able to see many little changes that can be made. Time makes a difference in moods, and, not to sound unstable, personality. This, in turn, leads to the ability to see things slightly different. “Let it cook for a while.” Just a different option for those of us “on our own” out there.

Thanks for the article,
Ben Vageline

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Donna writes:

Really good advice. I plan to read a few of your articles to see your approach in action.

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM

John writes:

Thanks for the great advice on article marketing. I especially like the tip on telling a story to explain an idea. However, it would be great if you could explain more about using language patterns to keep the readers interest. I was not sure exactly what you meant by that.

Best regards

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Blogger Xstroy writes:

Valuable article. Around the same thing I’m trying to convey his Russian readers. Emotions and feelings through words and pictures.

Comment provided May 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Rex Smith writes:

“Tiger Woods’ average round is only about 3.5% better then the golfer ranked at number 100. He earns millions more by being only a few percent better. [Which means] you only need to improve by a few percent in order to get much better results.”

This is really great… Never had this before in mind… Need more from you… want to retweet this quote of yours in twitter….

Comment provided May 28, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Sam Collett writes:

Great article and advice – I have just started out and this has been most helpful! Thanks for sharing!

Comment provided May 28, 2010 at 4:52 AM

Andy Britnell writes:

Wow – thanks guys for all your responses. I really appreciate your feedback and you have given me lots of encouragement to write some more articles about …. article writing.

So sit back and relax a while whilst I start to wonder about how much I can inspire you to write more effectively. Your stories are important and you don’t know how much wisdom lies hidden within. I will answer various points here too.

Many thanks and if you want to read a great book on writing read Stephen Pressfield’s ‘The War of Art’. What I saw here helped me a lot – main point ‘Just start writing!’

Best wishes

Andy

Comment provided May 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Karen Armitage writes:

hi Andy, thanks for the advice.. i think I have missed out on the monthly article performance reports. I will have to look into that, its a great idea for SEO I have used Joe Vitale’s hypnotic writing skills and that has also helped me along. Now I just need more time! best regards Karen, Sydney, Australia

Comment provided May 31, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Here’s to you, Andy, and to Judy, too. This was the first time I’ve seen an author give some credit for an article’s editing. So nice.

My husband is my first reader always. Having someone edit who is good (he’s very good and for 42 years!) can make all the difference in the world between a great article and an average one.

Thanks for your note on watching the statistics. I have to pay more attention to that one.

Kind regards,
Mary Jane Hurley Brant

Comment provided June 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM

MattocG writes:

Andy I love your direct, to the point approach. Excellent..

Comment provided May 2, 2011 at 5:19 AM