How to Select the Perfect Article Category

CategoriesBelieve it or not, choosing the right category is vital to the success of your article.

There’s an old saying, “A place for everything and everything in its place.”

Surprisingly, putting your articles into the correct categories and sub-categories is a critical stage in the article writing process. In fact, selecting a category is the first thing you should do each time you start writing a new article. Then bear that category in mind as your article develops.

Today, we’ll take a quick look at why category selection is so important and then guide you through selecting the perfect category for your article.

Why It’s Important:

1. Many Readers Search by Category – Many readers search by category for the information they’re seeking. Ensuring your article is in the correct category significantly increases the chances that it will be discovered by those readers.

2. It Creates a Positive User Experience – This is especially true for first time visitors to our site who may be confused by a miscategorized article.

3. E-Mail Alerts are Sent Out by Category – Every day, we send out E-Mails to readers notifying them of new articles published in their categories of interest. This is also how publishers find out about new articles. If your articles are in the wrong category, you’re missing out on thousands of reads (and clicks)!

With over 600 categories and subcategories to choose from, sometimes it can be tough to find the perfect one. If you’re having problems, here are a few tips to aid you.

Choosing the Perfect Category:

• Match the Main Theme of Your Article – It’s really that simple. Match the category to the main focus of your article and don’t worry about anything else.

• Look at the 30 Main Categories First – If you can find the right main category, chances are the subcategory will be a lot easier to locate within the category.

• Only Look at the Article Body – Don’t consider your resource box when selecting a category. This ensures that the category matches the content rather than the link.

• Some Topics are Quite Specific – Certain categories (Network Marketing, Currency Trading, etc.) are very clear cut, so you want to make sure all articles of those types go into their appropriate place. If you have similar articles routinely being recategorized to the same common category, this may be the reason.

• Categories Get Changed – Having your category changed by one of our editors is nothing to worry about. We don’t expect you to have an intimate knowledge of all 600+ categories. Our Editorial Staff is instructed to respect the category you choose, and should only move your article to a new category if it’s a better fit there. If you don’t agree, contact Member Support to address the issue.

Bottom Line: First review all of the categories that may fit your article. Then try to place your article in the one that best matches its main focus. And remember: There’s a place for every article, and every article is in its place!

What’s your secret to choosing the perfect category for your articles? Leave a comment and share it with the rest of the EzineArticles Community.

Jack writes:

Fish

only 5% of the water holds fish.

Just like customers

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Category is of course the key to let your readers find your article

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 4:49 PM

kenic writes:

Category is of course the key to let your readers find your article

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Makes sense to me.

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Dani Price writes:

Very nice addition for those topics that were a bit more targeted. This definitely helps those of us writing in mroe to one general market but on very specialized topics.

Thanks much.

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Joanna writes:

We’ve been writing for EzineArticles for awhile and have stopped as there doesn’t seem to be a category for politics…am I missing it. Will you add a political category … thanks

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Marilyn Harris writes:

where can I find what your 30 categories are?

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Right on our home page. :)

Cathy Chapman writes:

I sent in a suggestion for a new category a while back.
I write in the area of spirituality … metaphysical or New Age spirituality to be exact.

This area is very different than Christian spirituality… which I also write in. In fact, a great number of Christians have a big problem with metaphysical or New Age calling it evil or of the devil.

I would suggest making subcategories for those two … and other who write in this realm might have other ideas.

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Eamon Greville writes:

Thanks for this – its obvious I suppose, but in our haste we often overlook the most obvious factors!

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Sharyn writes:

Sometimes I notice that an article really does fall into two categories. Then, I put two different articles with the same theme into each of the categories. Whichever one gets more views is the one I stick with moving forward.

-Sharyn

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Brilliant! :)

Cathy Chapman writes:

Great tip!

Hi,
That makes sense to me also but I wonder where to include articles on morphopsychology.
I thought of personal development or psychology but I cannot find the category that fits my need.

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 11:51 AM

David writes:

This sound like a common sense that is not common. When I got this point right my blog stats increased tremendously: completeinternetbiz.com

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM

If only it were easy enough to just write a good article, video, blog, etc., without having to worry about titles, tags or descriptive keywords. However, once you get into doing it, it’s kind of fun.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Frankly, there isn’t really a need to “worry” about those items. The bulk of your success will be gained by high-quality original articles that are written with your expertise and the needs of the reader top-of-mind. All those other things only serve to incrementally increase the performance of already great articles.

Conversely, you can have all of those items perfect and yet a poorly written article will generate a CTR near zero and an equally bad conversion rate.

Bottom line: Get the article part right first, then worry about the other things as your experience and success grows. :)

David writes:

I think the experience one brought on board will take care of this issue for every writter, where there is any challenges, it will get cleared up with time: emploiurself.com completeinternetbiz.com

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Joanna writes:

Thanks Marc, for your insightful comment. I would really like to know (aside fromt the usual Political Blogs that already have a stable of bloggers) where does one go when one’s articles don’t fit either political framework.

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 4:50 PM

kenic writes:

Comment provided May 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

When I write in sets on a particular topic, sometimes I’ll use many different sub-categories for each article, and by spreading around the articles where they best fit in this case, I am finding more readers.

Comment provided May 31, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Cheap Chanel writes:

I really appreciate your help, it is very useful for me,you will get good grades!

Comment provided June 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM