Quick Case Study: Leanne Hoagland Smith

The third in a series of posts that highlight one Expert Author who has achieved success by doing just one thing exceptionally well.

If you want to be successful in Article Marketing, says Expert Author Leanne Hoagland-Smith, you have to be “Captain Focus” – someone who can create, follow and measure a marketing strategy – not “Captain Wing It.”

“In marketing, you must attract positive attention and then look to build a relationship with your potential customers,” she says. Understanding the goal of marketing keeps me focused on writing quality articles.”

An executive coach, consultant and published author (Be the Red Jacket in a Sea of Gray Suits), Leanne has submitted articles successfully to EzineArticles since 2005 in business categories ranging from sales to marketing to social media.

Leanne recently shared her tactics for a successful Article Marketing strategy with us:

• Create a marketing plan. “[This plan is] supported by written goals and reinforced with an executive marketing strategy,” she says, “Understand where article marketing fits in that marketing plan, and know how to use keyword research to stay on top of market trends in their areas.”

“Since my marketing plan incorporates an education-based marketing approach, article marketing is one of my primary strategies,” she says.

• Keep your eyes on the numbers. “I establish benchmarks using authors who write in similar topics and who are ahead of me [in author rankings]. When I catch up with one, I set another goal,” Leanne says. “Additionally, I monitor sign-ups on my various lists. I know that a certain level of views generates a specific number, and from that, I receive a percentage of passive income.”

She also tracks her EzineArticles statistics closely. “Each morning I invest 20 minutes in tracking views, click rates, etc. Through the various tools found within the author’s area, anyone can quickly make course changes based upon keywords, click through rates and author rankings.”

• Write articles with content that potential readers or customers will find easily. – “Remember to follow your passion, what do you really care about and let your readers experience those feelings,” she advises. “However, do not forget to link that passion to specific keywords, because that is how you are found.”
  • Set and keep article-production goals. Leanne’s goal is to write one article a day. “The more you write, the better you think, and the better you think, the more you write. This belief keeps the quality coming along with quantity,” she says.

Need some inspiration to get your Article Writing and Marketing program in gear?

Leanne offers these 5 tips:

1. Focus on one or two topic areas – Write as many articles as you can to secure a Top 10 author ranking.

2. Research “long tail” keywords – These might have fewer searches but could deliver potentially more qualified potential customers.

3. Monitor your EzineArticles statistics – If you don’t measure your marketing activities, you cannot manage them.

4. Keep on the lookout for fresh content – Surveys or research reports, for example, have statistics that can add value to articles and reinforce your status as an expert

5. Use all the EzineArticles author tools – Improve article quality and your Web traffic.

Did Leanne’s advice help motivate you to reach the next level in your Article Marketing program? Leave a comment and let her know!

Rob Britt writes:

Thanks for these “pieces of the puzzle.” I think focus is the most important part of success. And I’ve said many times you’d rather have 10 people view an article and take action, than 1000 people who don’t. Long tails attract the target market

Comment provided May 7, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Hi Leanne

Thank you for all your personal insight into how you do the deed.

Just started to write articles, enjoying the process, now trying to find the way to get “found” with what I am writing about.

This obviously takes a bit of time. So with head down and all the expert advice to follow I am expecting great things in the not too distant future.

Point 5 resonates well with me…I love to learn.

Regards,
Marylyn(SuperNan/Nannie CanDo)

Comment provided May 7, 2010 at 9:19 AM

She has great articles, and I’ve taken her online newsletter for well over a year now. I think anyone who is serious about business should. Her insight it great, and I read her book which I highly recommend, it’s awesome. I very much like Leanne, I think she is consistent, accurate, and a great writer, she is one of the best Business Writers that EzineArticles has, I truly mean that. I have a lot of respect for her. She is a much better writer than I am, if you don’t believe me, read her latest book, take her newsletter, you’ll see.

Comment provided May 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Mike Klassen writes:

Thanks for the advice, Leanne.

While I’ve written many articles, I’m new to EzineArticles. So I’m getting “re-educated” in taking the overall process of article writing and management more seriously.

Comment provided May 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM

susan huang writes:

Thank you for your information. I do agree with you !

Comment provided May 7, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Just checked email this am (7:00am) and read all these kind words. Thanks so much and a special thank you to Lance Winslow. His articles (which far outnumber mine) are also well written, informative and very eclectic. Any novice or seasoned writer can learn from him as well.

Also a special thank you to EzineArticles for this opportunity. With this being my 5th year at this great site, this author highlight means a lot.

Comment provided May 8, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Leanne,

Glad you could be part of our case study for this week to share your insights for all of our members to learn from.

-Chris

ps: Here’s a link for anyone else who’s interested in finding out more about Leanne on twitter:

MarVeena writes:

Thanks Leeanne for all the ideas! I didn’t realize I should be checking article stats every day. But it makes sense!
Blessings!
MarVeeva

Comment provided May 8, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Paula writes:

Thanks Leanne. I think focus is very important in being successful in anything that you do. Your article reminds me that I need to write more articles. I like your goal of one article per day.

Comment provided May 8, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Thank you Leanne, as a struggling new writer I am still leaning the ropes. Your advice makes a lot of sense.

Comment provided May 8, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Nicholas Wind writes:

Captain focus or I call it laser focus but whatever we call it most folks don’t have it in their online businesses or in most places in their lives.
Focusing really does take discipline …in anything we want to become very good at.
As a person who loves fitness and exercise that focus comes easily to me doing fitness and exercise but not nearly as easily with article writing.
So this is a new ongoing challenge for me at 54 years young.
I’m thankful that there are top notch places like this to learn from pros like Leanne.

Comment provided May 9, 2010 at 12:01 PM

william writes:

Thank you for the insight and direction. Your points were right inline with the S.M.A.R.T marketing concept I am using in my offline business and I think will work very well for the online one as well. I look forward to future arcticles and have bookmarked your URL.

Best
William

Comment provided May 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Just started to write articles, enjoying the process, now trying to find the way to get “found” with what I am writing about thanks

Comment provided May 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM

susan huang writes:

thank you for your information.

Comment provided May 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Carla Gardiner writes:

Great tips, strategies and guidance. I’m new to writing, learning and gathering information to assist my efforts. I’m glad I found this article, it will save me time and effort when doing it right the first time.

Comment provided May 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Glad to read that my suggestions will help both novice and seasoned writers. As I share – Good Reading, Good Selling, Good Living!

Comment provided May 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Lanette Higham writes:

You hit the nail on the head. I guess we had all better just keep writing.

Comment provided May 11, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Geoff writes:

Some very good tips, though writing one article every day is still one goal I doubt I’ll ever achieve, partly because of time constraints.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 4:57 AM

If you think you can or you think you cannot, either way you are right. This thought courtesy of Henry Ford.

I remember Chris Knight talking to me during my first few months at EzineArticles and telling me I needed to write at least a hundred articles. My thought was “Are you Nuts?” I hardly have time to write an article a week. Now 5 years later, with practice, I can write an article in about 15 minutes.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 6:59 AM