If you want to be successful in Article Marketing, says Expert Author Leanne Hoagland-Smith, you have to be “Captain Focus” – someone who can create, follow and measure a marketing strategy – not “Captain Wing It.”
“In marketing, you must attract positive attention and then look to build a relationship with your potential customers,” she says. Understanding the goal of marketing keeps me focused on writing quality articles.”
An executive coach, consultant and published author (Be the Red Jacket in a Sea of Gray Suits), Leanne has submitted articles successfully to EzineArticles since 2005 in business categories ranging from sales to marketing to social media.
Leanne recently shared her tactics for a successful Article Marketing strategy with us:
- Create a marketing plan. “[This plan is] supported by written goals and reinforced with an executive marketing strategy,” she says, “Understand where article marketing fits in that marketing plan, and know how to use keyword research to stay on top of market trends in their areas.”
“Since my marketing plan incorporates an education-based marketing approach, article marketing is one of my primary strategies,” she says.
- Keep your eyes on the numbers. “I establish benchmarks using authors who write in similar topics and who are ahead of me [in author rankings]. When I catch up with one, I set another goal,” Leanne says. “Additionally, I monitor sign-ups on my various lists. I know that a certain level of views generates a specific number, and from that, I receive a percentage of passive income.”
She also tracks her EzineArticles statistics closely. “Each morning I invest 20 minutes in tracking views, click rates, etc. Through the various tools found within the author’s area, anyone can quickly make course changes based upon keywords, click through rates and author rankings.”
- Write articles with content that potential readers or customers will find easily. – “Remember to follow your passion, what do you really care about and let your readers experience those feelings,” she advises. “However, do not forget to link that passion to specific keywords, because that is how you are found.”
- Set and keep article-production goals. Leanne’s goal is to write one article a day. “The more you write, the better you think, and the better you think, the more you write. This belief keeps the quality coming along with quantity,” she says.
Need some inspiration to get your Article Writing and Marketing program in gear?
Leanne offers these 5 tips:
- Focus on one or two topic areas – Write as many articles as you can to secure a Top 10 author ranking.
- Research “long tail” keywords – These might have fewer searches but could deliver potentially more qualified potential customers.
- Monitor your EzineArticles statistics – If you don’t measure your marketing activities, you cannot manage them.
- Keep on the lookout for fresh content – Surveys or research reports, for example, have statistics that can add value to articles and reinforce your status as an expert
- Use all the EzineArticles author tools – Improve article quality and your Web traffic.
Did Leanne’s advice help motivate you to reach the next level in your Article Marketing program? Leave a comment and let her know!