Expert Author Case Study: Andrew Gowans

Today’s Expert Author Case Study examines how Expert Author Andrew Gowans brings a true multi-faceted approach to article writing and marketing.

With a background spanning 25+ years in I.T. and H.R senior management, Spanish author Andrew Gowans supports and helps others to write more effectively and efficiently while working at home and building successful internet businesses.

Andrew has designed and delivered workshops and seminars to different international groups in both the public and private sector. He has freelanced for a number of years, enjoying the freedom it brings and has a passion for ‘the little guy’, life-long learning and continuous improvement.

He currently has over 50 clients worldwide for whom he provides writing and ghostwriting services as well as coaching on website design and search engine optimization. Andrew has published a number of e-books and reports as well as having ghostwritten 7 books for his international clients.

As part of our Expert Author Case Study Project, we asked Andrew to share his insights and experience with the rest of the EzineArticles community.

1. What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

My ability to research a subject thoroughly and relatively quickly has been advantageous as much of my income currently comes from writing and ghostwriting for over 50 clients worldwide on a whole host of different subjects from all-terrain vehicles for kids to bad credit loans.

2. What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

I am not the greatest marketer in the world. However, I am successful because I have learned to put both readers and customers first. If I want people to read my articles they have to be of good quality and have something interesting to say that adds value for the reader. The other important factor is to keep learning and staying abreast of what is happening [in the world of article writing and marketing].

3. How do you stay motivated to write articles?

One reason for writing articles would be to generate income – but that is a satisfier not a motivator. I stay motivated because quite simply I love to write and I love the use of language. Moreover, much of my own writing is driven from the desire to help others.

4. How do you decide what to write about?

A number of topics will be decided by clients for whom I can write anywhere between 10 to 50 different articles on a particular topic or niche. Personally I did focus on business and internet marketing related topics, but I have now decided to start a series of tips on writing which will cover general tips as well as article writing and copywriting.

5. How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

My focus is on quality. The length of the articles I write and the number of articles I write on a given topic depends totally on what I wish to say and the logical flow of the content. Often it will make sense to write smaller articles as part of a larger series, making it much easier for the reader to digest (and of course enticing them to come back for more).

6. How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

In the early days of submitting my articles I found little effect on my traffic. However, over time this has much improved. This is primarily due to learning the key components of writing articles that appeal to the reader, the directories and the search engines. Although I may not get a huge number of clicks directly from the article (depending on the subject and the fact that the article is so complete the reader feels that there is no need to find out more), I often feature on page 1 of [top search engines] within a day or two and sometimes within a few hours.

As an example I submitted three articles on outsourcing. The following day after EzineArticles approved all three. Doing a broad search (without quotes) resulted in the following:

– Key phrase A – position 2, page 1 of 11.4 million entries
    – Key phrase B – position 1, page 1 of 29.4 million entries
    – Key phrase C – position 8, page 1 of 28.5 million entries

7. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

Article marketing is key to my marketing strategy. I have had success with PPC but find article marketing to be more effective for me. Others may find different results. I also contribute to certain forums where in a sense I am also writing articles but in shorter form. Apart from my websites I also post regularly to a number of my blogs.

8. What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

I do view my article reports regularly and have published my platinum links to EzineArticles on a number of sites and profiles.

9. If you had to start over again, what would you change?

Learn more first. Learn how to use article marketing more effectively. Focus on one area of expertise and submit articles regularly and continue to do so. I wouldn’t waste time getting deflected by either of the many other directories or the myriad methods that purport to make article submission and article marketing easier before finding out that none of them work.

10. What advice would you give newbie article marketers?

• Learn from experienced writers.

• Study how to write effective sigs and bios.

• The bio should be a seamless continuation from the article body.

• Don’t do yourself a disservice by writing only for backlinks – big, big mistake and a missed opportunity to encourage readers to visit your site or blog.

• Do your keyword research ensuring the primary key phrase is included in the article title as well as the keyword section.

• Include the primary key phrase as part of the contextual link in the bio.

• Make the title as interesting as possible. Catch the readers attention.

• Make full use of the article summary – best chance with the title to make a first impression.

• Read the terms and conditions to avoid articles being bounced (rejected) unnecessarily.

• The one mistake I probably do make is “giving away too much”. However, it is important to balance that with providing quality content. My problem is when I start to write I don’t know when to stop.

• Ignore all the spurious claims about article writing software and automatic submitters – write totally unique content and submit to EzineArticles manually and if possible submit three articles at a time.

Wow! Usually this is where we like to distill the interview into a handful of concise tips for you to take away. In this case, Andrew has already done the work for us – thanks, Andrew! :-)

Now take these tips and put them to good use in writing and submitting your next set of high-quality, original articles. And leave a message for Andrew to let him know which of his tips you found most useful.

Edward Weiss writes:

Good interview. Actually learned something. Thanks!

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Eamon Greville writes:

Andrew – thanks very much.

Informative and useful advice from a seasoned contributor. I will read again, digest and apply!

Eamon

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Donald Yerke writes:

Marc: You have featured various writers before, and different styles. I follow many of the same techniques.
This is BY FAR the best ever. Congratulations Eamon!

A suggestion:
Your forum is good but could be better.

Make Eamon’s comments a permanent ‘sticky’ at the top. Then close the post, so no “non-thinkers” reply.

Eamon: You are motivational and inspiring. *****

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I’m not sure I understand your suggestion. Can you elaborate?

Donald Yerke writes:

Sorry Eamon, I am sure you are super also.

My comments should have been posted about
Andrew Gowans suggestions and help.

It was good enough that I read it twice, than realized my mistake on the name.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

John Corona writes:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the tip regarding the summary. I’ll pay closer attention to it…after all, it’s the next best thing to the headline.

Cheers,

John Corona

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Eric Bakker ND writes:

Hi Andrew,

Your article gave me the hope and encouragement I need to try and succeed with my health articles. I have written a few hundred articles (2000 – 5000 words) and “give too much away” as well. I want to make a good living online with e-books on health, but my friends say “it’s a long shot”. I know it must be possible. I have been a naturopathic doc for twenty years with many success stories in the clinic – now I would like to help more people globally with my experience by way of writing. I just know there must be a way I can succeed, it’s guys like you who shown it is possible.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Andrew Gowans writes:

Eric, I think it is more than possible, I believe there is a bigger need than ever to provide credible factual information and guidance on healthy living especially with the pressures and stresses modern living can put us under.

Regarding giving too much away your articles of 2000 to 5000 words are more like mini reports. Why not think about writing abridged versions of say 500 to 700 words with links in your sig to get the report for free when your readers subscribe thus building a healthy list if you’ll pardon the pun!

This is a great article. I recently registered with EzineArticles and hope to follow the above advice.

Thanks a lot

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM

This is an informative article but is article writing the best way to increase your readership?

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Russ writes:

What is the strategy for “submitting 3 articles at a time” or is this “just a good thing to do.”

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Linda Hughes writes:

I enjoyed reading your article. Learning more about writing, from an expert is important. There are good tips here. I especially think the idea of submitting 3 articles at once is good and I will strive to do that in the future.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Martin Maturine writes:

After reading your interview I immediately felt a connection, especially with item# 9. When I begin writing an article, I usually loose track of time and don’t know when to stop. I fall into an imaginary trance-like state into the topic the way in which I did when I read books as a child. I look forward to reading more of your advice as it is clear you have lived every word.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Andrew Gowans writes:

Gerald thank you for your positive comment. Others may use other techniques but I still find article marketing to be the most effective for me.

Russ it may depend on the niche and how competitive that is. However given the tremendous rate at which articles are submitted to EzineArticles I have found that by submitting 3 articles at a time increases my exposure time at the top of the list (as long as all 3 are approved of course).

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Russ writes:

Got it thanks (I notice Marylin (below) asks the same exact question. I’ll tell her it’s up here)

How would I know what someone down below is saying? I guess I’m a guy that has too much time on his hands haha I wish.

Linda Hughes writes:

It’s great learning from experts. I still have much to learn about article writing, and always find interesting and practical information here.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM

nuala writes:

A great interview. The summary was really good, I’ve saved it, and will ‘digest’ it later.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM

CD Rates Blog writes:

Well he said he often gives away too much so he even did your summary for you.

Andrew, thanks for the good info. I noticed a significant difference in our traffic after I completed the mini-challenge. So fresh content keeps the crawlers and readers happy.

cd :O)

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Shaw Millerman writes:

Wow, great advice. Something for everyone. I continue to be amazed how fast EzineArticles make it to page 1 of Google for the exact keywords in the title.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Andrew, well interviewed.

You spoke about PPC and article marketing and their comparitive effectiveness. I would be interested if PPC might have yielded at some results for you, especially as you seem to target long tail key words.

Your thoughts.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Andrew Gowans writes:

Hi Gerry,

I would have to admit that overall my PPC campaigns ran at a loss. I have also noticed that over 20 plus websites and blogs there has been a downturn in my adsense earnings which suggest there may be some validity in the argument that fewer and fewer people are clicking on the ads.

Regarding the effectiveness of article marketing I should have added in my tips to forget what you think people are looking for. Do your due diligence and find out what people are looking for – what long tail keyword phrases are they searching for.

Andrew G.

Another great success story, always good to hear what successful writers are doing and the results they’re getting.

Keep the great profiles coming, we all learn something new every time!

~Brian

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Donna Patterson writes:

The bio should be a seamless continuation from the article body.

Guess I’m going to have to study up on how to do that.

Any suggestions on where to find outstanding examples?

Donna

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Dan Janal writes:

Thanks for being so generous with your advice!

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Russ writes:

Donna,
Just look up the word seamless: “perfectly smooth continuity” Yur writing an article anyway just add one more sentence but work your links into it or use the last sentence or your article for the bio and work yur links into it or…

Hey look above it’s Brian Edmonson, am I the only one that know this internet guru, I hope not, Hi Brian, I’ve been a student of yours for some time.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Russ writes:

Sorry Brian it’s Edmondson.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Debbie Moore writes:

Fabulous article. The most difficult thing about our particular niche is the yawn factor. Let’s face it, proofreading isn’t exactly zing, zing! However, I’ve found that thinking more broadly about our niche has provided a wealth of topics to write about. I try to add a little humour as well. I really enjoyed it – thanks!

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Brandon Duran writes:

I like how Andrew focuses on writing for the reader, not the search engines. It doesn’t matter if you get a high ranking for a key phrase if you’re article is unintelligible gibberish. The reader will quickly look for something that it actually helpful and click off your article.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Bryan Wong YH writes:

Hi Andrew,

It is nice seeing a seasoned writer giving his opinion on how to write effectively. I’ve been publishing articles on EzineArticles for a few months now. Thanks for sharing your tips to newbies too.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Pete Miller writes:

Thank god I read this in the early stages of my article writing career because i think it has potentially saved me a great amount of time.

i particularly liked the key phrase idea

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM

sanjiv writes:

very nice!!

Thanks

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Ron Hirsu writes:

thanks for the info…i really need to get to writing more articles.

Comment provided May 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for all the great tips.

May I ask 1 question?

You say…

“….and if possible submit three articles at a time”

Why is that?

Regards,
Marylyn(SuperNan/Nannie CanDo)

Comment provided May 13, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Russ writes:

Damn Marylyn great question (I asked the same one ha) he answers it in the 12th post above)
Russ

Thanks Russ for the heads up!

Thanks Andrew for the answer.

For someone new at all this, getting into the habit of writing 1 let alone 3 is the trick.

I may have found a way to discipline myself into “The 3 Article Submission” plan.

I will use the Title Suggestions tool that we have, choose 3 to write up…these are time sensitive…and get them written and submitted all at the same time as you, Andrew, suggest.

I’ll try it out see if it works!

Cheers,
Marylyn(SuperNan/Nannie CanDo)

Russ writes:

Damn girl,
I don’t know. Do you know how to choose good keywords (high traffic low competition, etc)? Yur supposed to use good KWs in your title, I believe Andrew says this in his interview.

I guess you can use the titles they give ya but you should check em out as to whether or not they are good keywords before you spend all the time writing articles around them.

No I think you should get your own KWs for your titles. Anyone else have another opinion feel free to chime in.
Russ

I agree Russ as far as having great keywords in the title!

I was assuming…hmm, that the title suggestions that were being supplied with this little tool had good keywords in it.

Never thought to check them out??????
Marylyn

Elaine Berry writes:

An extremely helpful interview!

Comment provided May 13, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Ignatius writes:

Simply brilliant and rich.
I really appreciate.
And I’ll be your follower.
Cheers!

IG

Comment provided May 13, 2010 at 6:22 AM

I Actually learned something. Thanks! huhu.

Comment provided May 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Elliette writes:

I am new at this and I feel like a dry sponge! I soaked up every word and appreciate how much you shared! Thanks!

Elliette
DivorceEducator.com

Comment provided May 13, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Lynda writes:

What a great article.Made a lot of information crystal clear. Now just do it!

Lynda Christian

Comment provided May 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Sean Breslin writes:

Rock Solid advice Andrew… A straight to the point no fluff article. I give it a thumbs up!

Comment provided May 14, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. It is always better to tune in to the experience and intuition and win the battle of nerves.

Comment provided May 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Geisa writes:

thumbs up! Andrew perfectly smooth i have learned something good from this interview! today. thanks for the 3 tip

Comment provided May 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Edema Ejogbamu writes:

Andrew,

This is very informative and very helpful to newbies like me.

I shall certainly go through it again and again until I become another Andrew.

Thanks and God bless.

Comment provided May 14, 2010 at 7:22 PM

ben hulme writes:

It is hard to find a decent writer these days. I got some stuff written by Andrew on html coding and some other IM articles and was very impressed.
Thanks
Ben

Comment provided May 15, 2010 at 5:48 AM

Thomas Burke writes:

Excellent advice Andrew, expecially for a free report. Thanks very much. This will help me out a lot and I have saved it to my favorites for future reference.

Comment provided May 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Brian Morgan writes:

I’d really like to get into Article Marketing and some of Andrews advice is really solid, and it makes me more determined than ever to have a go!

Thanks for sharing the information with us Andrew, it’s very much appreciated.

Brian

Comment provided May 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Pete Miller writes:

All these comments are making Andrew feel great; but we must give credit to Marc for asking such great questions in the first place!

Ive always believed that the quality of feedback you receive is in direct proportion to the quality of your questions. In this case, Marc extracted information that we – the ezine article writers – needed to hear.

Comment provided May 15, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Jose Lasa writes:

Thanks Marc for bringing this top quality writers, and share with us all this fantastic information.

And for Andrew, thanks again for having answered all those questions Marc made to you.

All I can say is, keep the good work, both, and as always,

God Bless you all.

Jose Joe Lasa

Comment provided May 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your great insight and tips, I’m sure your clients are more than satisfied with the quality of work your provide them with.

Thanks,

Connor

Comment provided May 16, 2010 at 6:18 AM

Rich Cardarelli writes:

Hi Andrew,

Very well written, You explain the important
elements that make a big difference for a person to
succeed in Internet Marketing.

thanks again,
Rich Cardarelli

Comment provided May 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Ivan Josip writes:

I am happy that Andrew is writing for me for almost 2 years. And not just that, after many excellent jobs we did it together we became a friends as well. Good interview Andrew stright to the point…. as you do always!

Comment provided May 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Mark Lyford writes:

Great article, very well written. Very helpful indeed

Comment provided May 17, 2010 at 5:51 AM

David writes:

Hi Andrew,
your article is not only informative but also educative. I learn a lot from your experience, particularly from the 10 points you shared on the insights.
Thanks,
David

Comment provided May 17, 2010 at 5:14 PM

elizabeth writes:

Thanks Andrew, This information may get me writing again.

Comment provided May 17, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Teresa Jackson writes:

I’m with Marylyn, writing one article is difficult. Trying to write 3 at a time would be really a challenge!

Comment provided May 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Pete Miller writes:

Hi Teresa and Marilyn

Re: submitting 3 articles at one time

If you check out Andrews body of articles

you will find that he simply writes one long article and then divides it up into smaller part 1,2 & 3;

thereby giving him 3 articles to submit simultaneously.
Very clever I think.

Bruce Esterman writes:

Hi Andrew,
A really intersting article. I have difficulty in starting to write, worried about wether I am writing the correct info. After reading this I will have more confidence and will start to follow your blogs.
There was a lot of information and pearls of wisdom contained within, so will be rereading and learning what was written.

Comment provided May 20, 2010 at 5:52 AM

Dearly Beloved Andrew Gowans:
Greetings and so lovely and nice to find your interview featured in the newsletter this May 2010.
Was reading and had to just add in that this is simply awesome!
Gained more ideas and kindly keep up the great and good work.
Kindly extend my well wishes to your family and looking forward to seeing you one to one and face to face someday soon!
All the best and remain blessed and a blessing with God speed.
Regards,
Olakunle Solomon Fatoye.

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Deborah Pretty writes:

WOW! Thanks Andrew, you gave a generous amount of valuable info. I’m also a SEO specialist, and agreed to everything that was said about seo. Many people don’t believe that you can write an article, post it and be on the first page of Google in hours, days, etc. Quite frankly I used to be one of those persons… not anymore.

However, I’m always open for more up-to-date info,
so without doubt, I will visit you regularly.
Thanks again!
Deborah Pretty
howtostopsweatingsolutions.com
YourSEODiva.com

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

David writes:

I think your advice to never give away too much should be taken seriously by me henceforth, as I sometimes think whether I am not doing myself a disservive by doing exactly that at my Blog: completeinternetbiz.com

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Sid Kaplan writes:

Having read much of Andrew’s work I was delighted to see you choose him as a case study.

Andrew is very creative and writes in a very compelling style. I was most interested in his comments about giving away too much. Sometimes I think Andrew, and maybe more of us under promise and over deliver, but that is where our passion takes us.

Andrew, I think you are saying “master your craft” and you are a shining example of that.

Comment provided June 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Dean Miles writes:

Wow what an excellent read cannot wait for more!!

Comment provided June 2, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Atheer Fendi writes:

Great interview there Andrew, good info!
I specialy liked your tip: “Don’t do yourself a disservice by writing only for backlinks – big, big mistake and a missed opportunity to encourage readers to visit your site or blog.”

A helpfull post as I am planning on starting with article marketing… :)

Atheer Fendi