Articles Targeting Localized Search

Most Localized Niche Articlesarticles submitted to us with the intent of being indexed by search engines for localized-search (location specific) results end up getting rejected.

Why do they get rejected? For failing to deliver on the promise made in the article title.

For Example: “Morocco Body Painting Supplies”

What does this title really promise?

It’s clear to us that this author is targeting local search. They most likely have have no intention of delivering the benefit promised in the title of their article. In most cases, this type of author won’t even mention “MOROCCO” in their article body, but they will most likely include it in their anchored text link in their Resource Box. If they did mention “MOROCCO” in the body of the article, it’ll most likely contain excessive keyword repetition (a secondary reason we wouldn’t accept it).

This indicates to us that perhaps they don’t care about their end reader and only want their articles to show up in the local search results for their targeted keywords. Because this provides our users with a bad experience, we won’t accept this type of article.

If this author were to write about what’s unique about “Morocco Body Painting Supplies,” and the information supplied can’t be applied to any other locale, then we may be able to accept it.

The Acid Test: If we put in any other location name in the article title, does the article body still work? If so, then the article body is not unique to the title.

Example: “Wisconsin Body Painting Supplies” or “Key West Body Painting Supplies” or “New Orleans Body Painting Supplies” … See what I mean? If the article body remains the same but the location changes, then the information is most likely NOT unique to the location being targeted and thus can’t be accepted.

What about your locale makes it unique to your article? As a reader, when I read a locale-targeted article, I want specifics on the location and how it’s relevant to the market. Simply telling me that Morocco has body painting supplies provides me no more value than telling me that Wisconsin has them too. I want to know why Morocco is unique to this article and why it’s relevant to body painting supplies.

Lastly, we have a Sr. Editor (Derek) who sends internal whiteboard bulletins throughout the week to help keep all of our Editors on the same page. Here’s one of his notes from last month that is relevant to this discussion. Keep in mind, it’s written for giving internal guidance to our Editors.

Editor Q&A – What Constitutes a Localized Niche Article?

Localized Niche articles are written about a particular place or locale and services or amenities in that locale. This is primarily based off of the title against the content of the article.

If the article can be replaced with any other locale and it still makes sense, this is to be rejected for Localized Niche (Title Violation: Does Not Relate to the Article Body).

For Example: The title of an article is, ‘Florida Destination Tips’ and the only mention of anything related to Florida is that it’s the “Sunshine State”, that really wouldn’t be enough. However, if the article had 1 or 2 very specific mentions of a place(s) in Florida, or state-specific statistics, that may be enough to gain approval; provided the rest of the article has relevant/quality content.

For more information, watch this video on localized niche articles from Gary’s “Top 10 Reasons for Article Rejection” series.

Any questions?

Writing for the Examiner, this practice always must be adhered to, albeit, it is abused quite often.
Good post, worthy subject, thank you.

Comment provided May 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM

James Cerebe writes:

Thanks for all the info. You have been a big help in my effort to market my site. Your recent blog campaign is so rightr on time as everything you do seems to be. Thanks. James

Comment provided May 11, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Nicholas Wind writes:

That’s a great point and I’ve learned something here today.
I think I need to put an article in with you folks soon.
I’ve not done this yet but I post on my blog often.
I’ve been told you folks are tough to get an article accepted so I’ve practised for a year or so.
So we’ll see.

Comment provided May 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Donald E Yerke writes:

Chris: Your new communication postings & submission clarification videos eliminate article rejections. EzineArticles is intentionally moving in a distinct area.
I have submitted hundreds of articles under my name or the individual accounts of clients I help “ghostwrite” for. Having paid editors checking the mass of content is expensive for EzineArticles. Earn their respect & it is paid back with fast issue & readers.

They are not a dumping ground for PLR, software altered, or bought articles. Original fresh content wins as rehashed garbage is rejected.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Nicholas,

You must give EzineArticles a try … it is fun. Read my post to find out more – Why Write EzineArticles? – gg.thisshouldhelp.net/?p=1451

I was kind of scared at first, but once you sign in and submit your first article, it’s a pretty exciting adventure.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I think I have been guilty of this in the past, but once you explain the rules they are not hard to abide by.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Geoff writes:

If the reader doesn’t get what he visited the site for then he just feels cheated and that’s a bad experience. Articles like you describe should be rejected.

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 4:44 AM

Ron Hirsu writes:

thanks for the info. Learned something new here. I guess those interested in only getting backlinks through article writing will not reap the benefit in the long run.

Write articles that will help others…

Comment provided May 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Tyler writes:

Nice… I and my partner on working a business that’s releated to do it/ It makes things easier for us. I thought EzineArticles doesn’t approve any city specific articles/..

the captcha tells u’m user obsessed – does that mean i’m obsessed with EzineArticles?

Comment provided May 15, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Michael writes:

Well this has thought me how to go about writing an article about a specific locale or area.
This is a very valuable information.
Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided June 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Thank you so much for the clarification!

I have been hitting my head wondering what was wrong with one of my articles. I had location specific details (at least I thought so), but I guess I will start naming names and try to be more detailed.

I have to give you guys credit, you are doing it right.

Thanks again for the help!!

Comment provided August 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Jim Kreisman writes:

Great post! The information is very helpful for us niche location writers. It makes complete sense to give the reader a great Title that is supported by specific local information.

Thanks again for a great site and resources to help us writers deliver the amazing articles to our readers.

Comment provided September 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Erica writes:

Thanks this helps answer some questions I have had concerning my most recent article.

Comment provided November 12, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Keith writes:

Thanks for the article! It is a great help in understanding how to properly do this.

Comment provided December 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM