Achieve Massive Article Distribution

5 Tips for getting your articles picked up by ezines, newsletters, blogs, magazines and newspapers.

One of the key components of successful article marketing is maximizing the number of people who read your articles. When more people read your articles, you get more clicks. When you get more clicks, you get more conversions; and conversions equal success. That’s really all there is to it.

There are many ways you can improve your readership, but one of the best (and easiest) ways is to have your article(s) “picked up” and published in another publication. This can be online, like in ezines and on blogs, or in hard-copy, like newspapers and magazines.

In this video, I’m going to give you 5 tips to increasing your articles’ chances of being picked up by another publication. These tips are less about attracting publishers to your articles and more about maximizing your chances of having your article published once they find it.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Just in case you missed one, here are those tips again:

1. No Self-Serving Links in the Article Body – Ezine and other online publishers want content and information, not links. Syndicators want a unique perspective on the subject.
  2. No More than 2 Self-Serving Links in Your Resource Box – For the best chances of massive distribution, limit yourself to only 1 link.
  3. Keep Your Articles Between 400 and 800 Words – Too short and you won’t be able to convey your information. Too long and the reader may bail on it.
  4. Make Sure Your Articles are 100% Original – That means you wrote it and own the rights to it. Also, make sure that it’s easy to read.
  5. Become the Expert in Your Niche – Publishers want to use articles that make them look good.

Got any other tips for getting your articles published? Leave a comment – we’d love to hear them.

Now put these tips to good use and write and submit another set of articles right now, because you never know when one will catch the eye of a publisher and suddenly give you all the benefits of massive distribution!

This is VERY good advice, and thanks for sharing this video. I immediately retweeted your announcement to share this video.

I couldn’t have said it any better, so thumbs up.

Keep up the good work. We love sharing articles on EzineArticles because you take us writers seriously.

Thanks. :-)

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Zack Lim writes:

Excellent advice :)

Love reading the EzineArticles blog and watching the video as it always contain top notch information.

I still can’t believe that your team is providing us with so much information and it is like forcing us to succeed if all the writers follow the guides.

I will be retweeting this to my followers too :)

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

The best thing for everybody is for us to create a win-win-win-win scenario between us, our members (you), your readers and our advertisers.

THE best way to do that is to give our Members like you the tools you need to succeed. From there, everything else should fall into place.

None-the-less, we’re glad you appreciate the effort. :)

Mike Klassen writes:

Good stuff. I just started using EzineArticles, so tips like this are helpful

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Davis writes:

Thanks for the tips and all the useful information you keep on sharing to help us all succeed. This short video was great. Keep up the good work.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Dave Cleinman writes:

Thanks for this excellent information, Marc. I just sent in my tenth article and am waiting for an upgrade so I can submit more. Knowing this information really helps me plan for my new articles.

Since I signed up for the HAHD, I’ll have a hundred articles before the middle of August!

Thanks again,

Dave Cleinman

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Dear Marc,

You are the best presenter. Really enjoy your enthusiastic, direct and clear approach to assist our writing and publishing efforts.

I’m a long way from 100 articles but it’s a goal for me now.

Thanks for helping us out here at EzineArticles.

Kind regards,
Mary Jane Hurley Brant

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

You are very kind. Thank you for the compliments. I can honestly say that I love what I do – that’s the key to everything – and I’m glad it comes through. :)

Steve Duval writes:

Hi Marc

I just viewed your video on 5 tips to writing articles, I must say it was a fantastic video to watch, straight to the point and best of all you looked like you enjoyed making it.

Keep up the good work Marc, Well done.

Steve Duval

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Tip number 3 seems pretty elementary. Tip 1 and 2 I thought were in your guidelines, so the article should not even be approved let alone picked up for massive publication. Tip 4, I think was also in the guidelines and would otherwise be plagiarism. Tip 5 is really where all the meat is. I guess you have to really delve into the intricacies of a subject broad enough to fill 100 articles with enough substance , yet not so broad that your out of your league.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Rob Metras writes:

Clear, Concise and to the point Marc. I like the videos you are doing Thanks

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Cathy Chapman writes:

Now someone can take each tip and write a 400+ word article.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Teresa Jackson writes:

How would you know if an article has been published? It is so difficult to know what works and what does not!

I have been putting my web site and my blog addresses in my resource box. I guess I think about only putting my web site?

Thanks for great suggestions.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I think you can track some of where your traffic is coming from in Google analytics. Also you can do Google searches for your own articles to see where they are showing up.

Teresa Jackson writes:

Thanks Joseph for the advice. I did Google some of my articles and found they were coming up pretty quick in Google. Gives me the incentive to keep on writing.

I did not see that they were published anywhere else but I can hope and keep looking!

It’s actually pretty simple. Log in to your Member account. Click on Author Tools -> View My Article Reports. Look for the column in the chart that says “EzinePublisher” – that number is the number of times each particular article has been published.

Jan writes:

Hi Marc & Teresa,
Another way I check to see where my articles are showing up is to copy a paragraph from one of my articles (usually somewhere from within the first 1-3 paragraphs) and paste it into google search.

The bolded words will tell you where (if anywhere) your article has been found/published. What you will often find is a mish-mashed version.

But sometimes you find really nice ezine publishers who have kept everything intact. I like to write a brief ‘thank you’ note to acknowledge their honesty.

But it’s an interesting way to check and please don’t be like me and ‘get your knickers in a knot’ over what you will find sometimes. Remember the law of Karma :-)

Regards to all,

Gaurav Barot writes:

Heard the rocket-science theory of “getting your articles picked up by ezines and so on” with the awe of a rabbit in the beam of oncoming headlights.

Spectacularly elementary! Surprisingly no-brow!

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Donna Patterson writes:

Excellent video. I’ve written 45 articles. Then couple weeks ago I submitted one that I didn’t think was not quite up to par, but it would do.

NOT SO. EzineArticles refused it. I was thrilled. They actually do watch for content! That along with this 5-step advice for getting published has really fired me up.

Way to go EzineArticles!

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Congratulations! I think that is the first time a member has ever THANKED us for not approving their article! I hope it’s not the last …

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight with everybody. :)

Rob Britt writes:

good stuff here, like always. I never miss your blog posts because there is always take-aways.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Teresa Jackson writes:

I appreciate the help in seeing if any of my articles have been published. I was not sure what “EzinePublisher” meant!

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Ted Brian writes:

This is a good reminder from when I first read all the Editorial Guidelines posted at EzineAriticles. I would recommend anyone to take another look for additional guidelines and tips when writing and submitting their articles.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Russell Speed writes:

Great stuff Marc.

It is great to have a nice short and sweet review!
I too take comfort in the fact that you guys will reject an article as it helps somewhat to keep me putting out good content.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Kym Mulcahy writes:

Thanks Marc. Great advice about self-serving links and the resource box. A reminder that we should always be thinking of improving the article for our audience and their needs.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

John Miller writes:

Thanks for the very timely advice and so succinctly written and spoken.

A question. How do you make such a presentation – with the ‘backgroundless’ video of you talking and the text being imposed beside you? It’s very cool and I’d like to do it on my website(s).

Regards and thanks for the encouragement.

John Miller

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Hi John,

Glad you like it!

Before attempting this yourself, however, you may want to consider this: Prior to shifting into online Marketing, I was a video production pro for 25+ years. Jason, our video coordinator, has also been a video professional for several years. So what you’re seeing is not only the result of hardware and software, it’s also a product of knowledge and experience.

With that said, here’s how we do it: We shoot my segment against a seamless white background using a professional grade camera and cinematic lighting techniques to keep me lit properly while also keeping the background lit evenly.

This footage is then brought into Apple’s Final Cut Pro where the background is luma keyed out and replaced with a pure white background. The text is added during editing and timed to my delivery and placed “between” the layer I’m on and the background layer. Then it’s all rendered out as a finished video.

That’s it in a nutshell.

Marc, this is a great article. I have seen blogs and sites that have discussed similar advice, but your mix of content delivery is more engaging and concise than what others have provided. Also, I believe that you have to write for your buyer persona segmentation.

Thanks for the tips and for keeping it real with the advice about 100 articles to be seen as credible.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Raj writes:

Great advice.

I would like to add my 2 cents here.

1. As far as possible, present the article with sub-titles and bulleted points and bold them.

Visitors prefer to read an article presented this way.

2. Place in Quote one short sentence which is the most important message / information that you would like to convey through this article.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM

vicky writes:

Hi Marc

Thanks for your helpful guidance information. I believe as a newbie members starter in this article writing industry it may not easy and may not too difficult too. Once have a guideline to follow, that already starting a little small step of action to achieve to success.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Budi Waluyo writes:

Thank you for the clear guidelines. It’ kind you involved resources box in the dashboard. The link in it actually the original sources of the the precious idea include in the article. Thank you.

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Great pointers, and they came on a good day for me.
Can you answer one question on links – if an article has a link to a resource place (ie I say that a certain website has more information and add a link) – and it is NOT my own website, or affiliate or anything like that – is that allowed or not in the body of the article?

Comment provided May 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM

It is allowed (that’s called a non-self-serving link). However, if you’re looking to have your article “picked up” by a publisher, it’s not recommended for 2 reasons:

1. Some publishers will shy away from any article that has links in the body – especially print publishers.

2. Your link may get “stripped” from your article. If it’s vital to the content, that may be a problem.

Thanks Marc,

Appreciate your taking the time to answer. It was not really vital, more as a support. I can work without them.

Mahendra Sharma writes:

I appreciate the persistence of the author, He provides such an important tips weekly and sometimes daily. Originality in Articles does pay off, I am saying it based on my experience on EzineArticles.

Comment provided May 4, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Hi Marc,

Baby Boomer, cyber-dyslexic and having a ball with this medium, I have to say that I am thrilled to have found a professional and Client focused business such as

Marc your videos are so easy to follow, easy to understand and easy to implement (and fun to watch).

I am also a long way from 100 articles but having found that I really enjoy writing them, I think that that goal will easily be achieved in the not too distant future.

To you and the crew, I say thank you ever so much for the training and support and I am looking forward to being recognized one day as an Expert in my Niche/Niches.

Marylyn (SuperNan/Nannie CanDo)

Comment provided May 4, 2010 at 5:59 AM

I will be writing many Articles for the internet :

I am a little confused, as how to set everything up, but thanks to your training, I am starting to gain confidence.

Cheers !! Ray.

Google >> Joyce and Ray Lavin :

Comment provided May 4, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Rena writes:

Great article! Great tips! Another thing to avoid doing is talking down or “writing” down to the reader. While we are experts in our fields, the reader does not want to feel like a their being scolded or condescended to. There is a delicate balance between writing from a point of knowledge but not coming off as a know it all.

Comment provided May 4, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Ricardo Shaffer writes:

Local Marketing- This is a very great article and should help out to increase traffic

Comment provided May 4, 2010 at 11:31 AM

John Treby writes:

Thank you for advice-I was at a point of writing longer articles to a point over 800 words-your tip has made me realize length of article does not compete with content-Great advice

Comment provided May 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM

jack writes:

Thanks for sharing such a nice information.Specially the video is very impressive and helpful.Great work.Keep it up.

Comment provided May 5, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Thanks for the great tips.
I’ve started writing several articles a week for the past few weeks and have seen an increase in visitors to my site.
Now I’m doing the HAHD, so I’m really excited about all the new visitors and exposure to my site.

Comment provided May 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Balu writes:

All tips are great. All the information is very useful to everybody.

Comment provided May 14, 2010 at 4:46 AM

Pete Miller writes:

Hi Marc

I am a speakers coach & train exec’s on camera technique.

You are a star my friend! You really understand the medium; if you are being coached, then give them a raise or a big tip!

I have sent your video to a client so he can see how relaxed you are & how much you ae able to enjoy the process

Good stuff from Pete Miller

Comment provided May 18, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Thanks for the kudos, Pete! I’ll make sure my boss sees this! ;-)

Seriously, I’ve only been coached by my own experience. I was a media producer/director for over 25 years, so I told a lot of people how to behave on camera and in front of an audience. Maybe a little of it sunk into me along the way.

More than anything, though, is that I sincerely enjoy it. I’m having a lot of fun the whole time and I’m sure some of that shines through. My only fear is that my outtakes will go public … sometimes I have a little too much fun.

John Miller writes:

Love your style and the format. Appreciate the advice.

Regards and best wishes

Comment provided May 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Sonia writes:

Thanks for these great 5 tips. I’m going to put these tips to good use.

Comment provided May 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Denise Martin writes:

Thanks! I wasn’t sure what the best length for articles is. I know that personally, I am more apt to read a short article with bullet points than a long article – unless the information I’m loooking for is there. Many articles seem to be low on actual substance. I hope I can write valuable articles for your readers.

Comment provided May 19, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Thanks Marc. Great advice about self-serving links and the resource box.

Comment provided May 21, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Comment provided May 25, 2010 at 8:55 PM

These are great tips for everyone. I was writing articles that were less than 400 words. Now I know better. And I have a lot more articles to write to be recognized as an expert.

Comment provided August 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM

jon bone writes:

Thumbs up for this one. Very helpful again EzineArticles!

Comment provided October 20, 2010 at 6:26 AM