Expert Author Case Study: Roseanna Leaton

Today’s Expert Author Case Study examines how Expert Author Roseanna Leaton approaches article marketing from a different perspective.

Perhaps it’s her natural habitat — the Isle of Man, lying between the rugged coastlines of Ireland and Scotland — that gives Roseanna Leaton a unique approach to article marketing. Or, it could be her background as a clinical hypnotherapist.

“I’m sure marketing experts would cringe at my approach to article writing and submission, but I do what I know how to do and learn little bits about marketing along the way,” she says.

However different her approach, Roseanna exhibits one of the characteristics that mark a prolific and successful writer: a strong curiosity and a diverse set of interests that inspire her to write and submit an average 3 articles a week in categories as diverse as Self-Improvement, Anger Management and Golf.

Roseanna also has a zeal for the topics she writes about, from helping people free themselves of their fears and phobias to the health benefits of hypnosis and sports mind retraining. This passion is another key characteristic of a successful writer and EzineArticles Expert Author.

Above all, her readers respond enthusiastically to her articles. Since becoming an EzineArticles Expert Author, Roseanna has successfully submitted more than 300 articles, generating more than 30,000 views.

1. Roseanna, what sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

I approach article writing from a different angle. My background is as a therapist, although I have always enjoyed writing. I do not have any trouble finding something to say, as the subject matter in which I am interested is incredibly diverse.

Because of this, I don’t think of my keywords first and then compose an article around those words. I write when I have something to say, and keywords end up in my articles by accident most of the time.

2. What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

I am passionate about the mind-body connection and the importance of hypnosis as a therapeutic tool. If you write from the heart, this will always come through to your readers.

3. How do you stay motivated to write articles?

I’m highly motivated and passionate about the importance of using hypnosis in our daily lives. There are days when you just don’t feel like writing, or you cannot think of much to say. On those days, I don’t write. I play golf instead.

Most days, something happens which sows the seeds for an article. Perhaps it’s a movie I have seen or a news headline that catches my attention. It might be a dream, or a stray comment I overhear that works its way into an article.

4. How do you decide what to write about?

I have never been able to plan or map out an essay or article. I begin to write, and it just happens. I might set out thinking that I will write about one thing, but my article flows in an entirely different direction. I just follow the flow. All I require, therefore, is a starting point. The title or the first line is enough.

5. How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

My articles either flow freely or they do not. I did try for a very short period of time to go for quantity and listed keywords and tried to write one short article every 20 minutes for two hours. I did not like the process or the result!

I quickly reverted to writing articles my way. I feel that unless I have something worthwhile to say (from the heart and not the cash box) nobody will read it.

6. How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

EzineArticles is the article site that sends the most traffic. Every day, my Google stats tell me that I have had quite a few hits referred by EzineArticles. It is my bread and butter and essential to my marketing strategy.

7. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

Through article marketing, I have gained experience in writing and discovering what readers want to read. I have also been able to test my website and its products and gathered sufficient statistics to use as a platform for other types of marketing.

Article marketing will always have a key place in online marketing. I now submit about 3 articles a week, which is sustainable. At one point, I was submitting two every day, and that was too much. I had no time left to do anything else!

8. What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

The keyword-suggestion tool is pretty cool, seeing as I usually have no idea what mine are! The title-suggestion tool will be a great help to me. I do refer to the blog quite a lot when I have marketing questions.

9. If you had to start over again, what would you change?

I would spend more time focused on producing quality articles and less time submitting to myriad sites.

10. What advice would you give newbie article marketers?

Write about what you are passionate about. In this way, you will enjoy what you are doing. Your readers will feel those vibes as well. I would absolutely hate what I do and couldn’t do it if I did not believe in my products.

Roseanna’s method of “going with the flow” when writing articles demonstrates that there is no single path to success in article marketing. Regimentation might help motive some writers, but it can stop the creative process for others.

Roseanna’s outlook demonstrates these best practices for article creation and marketing:

• Write about the topics that you care about most. When you are interested in a topic, you can more convincingly create interest for others.

• If the creative juices aren’t flowing, take a mental-health break. Read a book. Stare out the window. Or, like Roseanna, do something that relaxes you, and then come back with a fresh perspective.

• Establish a realistic timetable for writing and submitting articles. This creates an achievable goal, which will help you build your confidence as a writer.

Now that you’ve read Roseanna’s insights, it’s time to unleash your own creative urges by writing an original, high-quality article on a topic you’re passionate about. Be sure to leave a comment here to let Roseanna know how she has inspired you!

Andrea Amador writes:

Dear Roseanna,

You’ve inspired me to return back to writing articles. I am a coach and master practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming and I specialize in teaching women how to overcome emotional eating by using non diet weight control methods.

My style of writing articles is very much like yours; writing with the flow.

However my challenge with that has always been a question of timing. Being a person who loves to write, I could get lost in the creative process and spend hours working on a single article. It’s so frustrating. I love your idea of taking a mental health break.

As a hypnotherapist, how have you been able to inform people about specific aspects of your products or programs without blatantly promoting them? What are some of the transition phrases or introductory sentences that have worked for you?

Thank you for the inspiration.

Warmest regards,

Andrea

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM

chris swain writes:

i do agree with that What are some of the transition phrases or introductory sentences that have worked for you

I don’t think I can be as prolific as you, but you have shown me that I am going in the right direction with my writing.

My articles go on my self help website selfhope.co.uk as well as to EzineArticles. So I have 2 sets of readers to think about – 1 how will my site visitors enjoy my article and 2 is the article suitable and of the right quality and subject matter to interest those on EzineArticles. If it fits both of these statements then it is included on both sites.

Once again thankyou.

Dale Preece-Kelly

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 11:51 AM

chris swain writes:

article marketing so all tips will help improve my content and overall i do agree with that too.

CD Rates Blog writes:

“Write about what you are passionate about.”

I tell people this all of the time. If aren’t enjoying it, you won’t be able to sustain it.

Great stuff.

cd :O)

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Stan Rosen writes:

Hi Roseanna,

Your article was very inspiring. Although I did my dissertation in psychology, I am a new online writer, starting from scratch. I did find that writing with keywords in mind was inhibiting. So I am glad that you confirmed that for me. It seems like your style is what I would like to copy. Thank you for sharing that with us.

All the best to you,

Stan R

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Holiday Shop writes:

hello,

It’s really good to hear from someone who is based in the UK. I’ve often thought that the site maybe geared to US readers – but this has given me renewed hope of reaching a UK audience. I’ll carry on writing articles.

Thanks
John

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Susan French writes:

Wow. You read my letters out loud. We have similar professional takes on both writing and therapy. It’s always nice to feel another professional has the same feelings and ideas.

Your writing is clear and compelling.

Thanks,

Susan French

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Dear Roseanna, Your advice is invaluable. Thank you so much. I feel creative most of the time, and I want to express myself all of the time, but my internet business blocks me frequently. I am working on getting very organized, and that is helping, but remembering to get some exercise to de-stress so I can write my article is a great reminder. Thanks so much. With love and blessings,
Sandra Dawson, MA
Love and Relationship Coach

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Georgio Sasso writes:

I want to say thank you for your sound advice on writing articles. There have been many times when I let keywords come before writing good content. Like you, when I allow myself to just write first, and then go back and think about key words, my articles read a lot smoother. I hope you post some more tips soon.

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM

John Miller writes:

‘I begin to write, and it just happens.’

It’s that easy.

I once heard that you don’t motivate yourself to do something, you do something and then beome motivated.

I think that’s true.

Thanks Roseanne. I enjoyed your article.

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Very interesting that you don’t tend to plan your article in advance. I will try this method and see where it takes me. I love writing and teaching others to do the same. It is such an important part of marketing on line today.

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Doug Stimson writes:

Roseanna-

I am very glad that your case study came at this time as this has reignited my commitment to make article writing a main focus again. Hearing that your approach has brought you positive results encourages me to just write instead of worrying about whether it sounds perfect or has all the right keywords.

Thanks for the breath of fresh air!

Cheers!
Doug

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Midge writes:

Thanks Roseanna for the great article. It is definitely easy to write an article when you have a love of the subject. If not, one has to research which takes a long time and the flow doesn’t come easily.

Midge

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Roseanna, you have got my creative juices going with that little pep talk/interview.

Thanks, Gerry @ Families4Life

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Thanks Roseanne, I thought it was just me! I do review my articles sometimes to make sure that some key words are in there. For the most part though, I sit to write about something and off it goes wherever it wants it seems. Thanks for making me feel normal at least lol

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Susan Greene writes:

Roseanna, in addition to the articles you place on EzineArticles.com, do you also continually add content to your own website?

I’m torn between where to focus my energy in terms of which will bring me the most benefit — posting articles on my website or posting them here. Your opinion?

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Isha writes:

Roseanna, you have inspired me in a totally new way.

Amongst other things I’m going to pull out some of my best pieces from long before I was on the net and submit them to EzineArticles. They were articles I wrote when I was enjoying what I was doing, just like you.

Great stuff. Thank you!

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Larry Icabandi Nabiong writes:

You have just validated my writing style, Rose. As long as you are prolific writer, however you coax ideas for your article is not important. Just go with the flow and viola, you have a great one.

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Eric writes:

Thanks for the advice Roseanna. I find it tough enough writing a single article each week, so I commend you for writing 3 every single week. So far I have received a good amount of traffic with my EzineArticles, so I probably need to begin cranking out some more each week!

Thanks,

Eric
NaturalEndocrineSolutions.com

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Gerard writes:

Great tips Roseanna thanks for sharing I have just started out with article marketing so all tips will help improve my content and overall success

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Roseanna, I write in exactly the same way … just let it flow!
I hadn’t realised the keyword tool and the title suggestion tool could be used AFTER you have finished writing. I’m really grateful for that piece of information.
I am also a NLP Master practitioner and really enjoy using trance with my clients and in my workshops. As you say, it’s the mind-body connection and it is of the utmost importance.
And I coach voice, style, deportment and all the rest; I mostly work with women between the ages of 45 and 65 and I love it!

Comment provided April 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Jo Parfitt writes:

I am an expert author and features writer and my specialisms are writing, expat life and careers abroad. I am passionate about all three and agree that we must be authentic and write about what turns us on above all. I now teach others to become published (and paid for) journalists/authors and your comments resonate with me. You write 3 articles a week, I blog 3 times a week and write at least 3 articles a month in addition. When articles were my main source of income and I had school fees to pay, I would write 4 a week. If you want to do this seriously you need a ton of new ideas every week and to sit down and write.

Thanks

Jo
Joparfitt.com

Comment provided April 29, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Sean Breslin writes:

Roseanna, I like your approach to article writing… It is one I can relate too!

Comment provided April 29, 2010 at 1:54 AM

4little1s.com writes:

The article has helped me and given me a new lease of inspiration…thanks

Comment provided April 29, 2010 at 3:57 AM

DIM ESTHER writes:

HI ROSEANNA,
I just went through your articles, they are indeed very good, you just motivated me, Iam just a beginner and i love writting but I found it difficult in chosing the keyword.
Thanks

Comment provided April 29, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Bill Bergin writes:

Roseanna, Thanks for the education. Writing what you feel will create a more attractive read. I love your style and I also love the “or just play golf” mentality. Prosperity to you!

Comment provided April 29, 2010 at 6:36 AM

MarVeena writes:

I am passionate about hypnosis too!
Thank you for sharing your process, I too can only write when I feel inspired. Then it flows, if I try to make my self it just doen’t happen.

Comment provided April 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Keith writes:

I am just starting out in blogging, although I had spent years in PR. I appreciate it is different but similar. I found your words reassuring. many thanks Keith

Comment provided May 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM

sitene ekle writes:

your work is awesomely awesome. thanks for sharing :]

Comment provided May 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Keith writes:

Yes write what you are passionate about I picked out for me. Thank you. Good post

Comment provided May 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Gail Manishor writes:

I found Roseanna’s approach to writing so much like mine that I am now going to check out her articles. I just write and when I find out what I’ve written I move it in certain directions and find keywords that work. I am loving doing articles for EzineArticles.com. thank you for the opportunity.

Comment provided June 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Medusa writes:

I have to say, this is some really good advice. The best thing is to just write from the heart, and not try to use tricks when writing articles. It just comes out really naturally and clear that way. Thank you.

Comment provided September 3, 2010 at 12:04 AM