Controversial Opinion Article Template

This article template has Handle With Care stamped all over it.

A little controversy is good, but too much can kill your credibility with readers and publishers alike.

On the other hand, an article stating a controversial opinion can attract interest and readers if it is written well, based on facts and avoids inflammatory statements or personal judgments. Although “controversial” implies disagreement, you don’t have to use words that intentionally create divisions among readers and set one group of readers against the other.

Your goal should be to tell the truth, even if it’s uncomfortable or challenges common assumptions. Make controversy a side effect of your article rather than its goal.

Anatomy of an Effective Controversial Opinion Article

1. State Your Case – In your opening paragraphs, present your viewpoint and explain why it’s controversial for readers who don’t know the subject as well as you do.

2. Present Your Facts – Once you establish your opening statement, outline the facts or statements that back up your opinion. Use bullet points or give each fact statement its own paragraph to make your points stand out and make them easier to read.

3. List Opposing Arguments – You need not go into great detail to outline the case for the other side or your own responses. You just want to present as balanced a view of the issues involved as you can. Once you state the opposing viewpoint, repeat your main points to defend your position.

4. Conclude with a Call to Action – Recap your viewpoint in the conclusion and encourage those who either agree or disagree to comment. A statement like “Do you agree or disagree with me? I welcome your comments” invites readers either to comment in the forum where your article is published, which can build traffic for your publisher, or to contact you at the location you list in your resource box.

Now let’s hear your opinion!

For your next article, take a stand on a topic in your article niche. Don’t stir up controversy for its own sake, but feel free to experiment. Then, come and tell about your experience, or ask questions if you’re unsure how to proceed, in the comments box below.

Jose Alves writes:

VERY INTERESTING SUMMARY !
IT HAS ALL INGRIDIENTS OF A.I.D.A .
JOSE ALVES

Comment provided April 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM

This seems like a good way to draw attention to my articles but I am not sure if I can do it properly. Maybe I will just watch for a while. Thanks for the idea.

Comment provided April 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Fran Aslam writes:

I am surprised at myself. I have seen article template, so many times, and in my mind I felt it is not easy to use.

Today, when I looked at it deeply, I said to myself this is what I needed all along. Why? Because when I write articles I get so involved in the topic that I alwasy write more than required.

I only want to write solid, short, to the point, as everyone wants to skip and skim the most relevant
out of an article.

The use of tamplate will help me do that.

As always thanks EzineArticle and Chris

Comment provided April 23, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Fran Aslam writes:

Getting excited about the template, I missed writing
about the blog post. Good and some new information about article writing and I am going to use it in future. This is one of the best ways to bring variety in my writing styles.

Comment provided April 23, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Useful–a nice template. I actually see two articles from this already…

Comment provided April 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Sherwood Lummus writes:

I usually stay away from templates but this is more than a template, it is a lesson in writing a good article. Thanks, I can use this information to write several articles and several types of articles.

Comment provided April 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Leon Noone writes:

G’Day Christopher,
I’ve always found your templates broadly useful. But this one’s a ripper. My 30+ years in business has been predicated on the idea that most conventional wisdoms about managing people are ineffective.

I’ve done the odd bit of “challenging” in my time. This template serves as a great reminder.

Thanks

Leonarticle agent

Comment provided April 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

That’s a good way of approaching article content. Thanks.

Comment provided April 23, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Raghuveeran writes:

A template can be useful in many ways ,like creating a website.But it can be useful for writing and submitting articles to various directories.It would contain all the spaces required for the title , description, body ,resource box and the key words on the same sheet. After login and going to the Submit page of any directory,, you can cut and paste one by one all the parts of the article. After a lot of trial and error Ihave bveen using the email message form in Outlook express. The title is typed into the subject field and the rest of the article can be typed individually on 4 note pads , one each for the title,description, body, resources and the keywords and included as attachments. The form can be saved as a draft with OLexpress and also be saved in folders that can be easily located on your PC.
On nthe main text of the MSg ,you can type in the URLs of the directories and the login info. So you can login into the directories one by one and submit the article from the attachments.
This is the most inexpensive type of an article submitter template . Considering the fact that the article submitters on the net are no better when it comes to logins and the need to login into the directories one after another ,this home made submitter isa the best one can have .
Of course ,the template can be also made with MS Word where you can create the form for containing the various parts of an article as a template.
Pl let me know if any improvement is needed .

Comment provided April 24, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Jordan writes:

Good areticle. Great information. I for one love a good controversal article.

Comment provided April 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Marcus Baker writes:

This is a great template. No matter what nice you may write for there will always be opposing opinions about something. What the template does is provide a way to express this and provide one’s own take on the issue. I think it’s a good idea to stay from absolutes. Using words like, “I think”, “In my opinion”, “Apparently…”, “Some say…” can help here. Thanks for a useful post.

Marcus Baker

Comment provided April 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM

jon bone writes:

Nice template.Controversial equates interest. I think it good to write both sides to balance it out

Comment provided October 20, 2010 at 6:33 AM

Dan DeRoeck writes:

This is an excellent tool for writing.

I think many writers have trouble coming up with ideas to write about. This tool covers a lot of bases and will aid in the “quick” articles so desperately needed in today’s world!

Dan

Comment provided January 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Alysha writes:

What a great resource for every kind of writer–professional or DIY. Thanks so much for providing it.

I’ve also really enjoyed your e-course mail outs. Your commitment to adding value in every message makes your marketing strategy valuable for both your brand and the customer. Your team is doing a great job!

Alysha

Comment provided February 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Bhooma Kumari writes:

useful article template.great!i have never thought about the psychology of the reader while attempting to forcefully exhibit my ideas.

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM