Solidify Your Brand with Alternate Author Names

Discover the value of using pen names to manage your multiple brands.

At EzineArticles we call them alternate author names. You’ve probably heard them referred to as pen names, allonyms, nom de plumes or pseudonyms. Whatever you call them, they’re essentially the different unique names that authors use as bylines for their written materials. Each name is used in association with a particular writing style, genre, audience or niche, depending on the needs of the author.

In this video, I’ll help you understand the primary reasons why you might want to consider using alternate author names in your article marketing plan: To maintain your brand integrity, build your Expert Author credibility and foster brand loyalty.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Key Points in this Video:

• Each niche you write about is basically a different brand.
  • If you write in multiple niches, you’re managing multiple brands.
  • Good branding increases your credibility and the readers’ brand loyalty.
  • Confusing your brands can hurt your credibility as an Expert Author.
  • Create alternate author names, each branded to a niche you write in.
  • Use variations of your real name as your alternate author names.
  • Have only one topic or brand associate with one name.

How to Create an Alternate Author Name:

1. Log in to your EzineArticles member account
  2. Select “Edit Author Names” from the “Profile Manager” drop-down menu
  3. Scroll down the page to “Add an Alternate Author Name”
  4. Click on the “Alternate Author Name Terms of Service” text link to review the TOS
  5. Click on the “I agree to the Alternate Author Name Terms of Service” check box
  6. Type your alternate author name in the field labeled “Name to Add”
  7. Click

For more information on creating and using effective pen names, plus a fun cartoon, check out this Blog post.

If creating alternate author names will help you better manage your brand, then by all means use them! Just make sure that you continue to build each of your individual brands by writing more high-quality, original articles under each of those pen names.

Any questions? If so, leave a comment!

Enamudu writes:

It’s just that I don’t know how to copy and paste your graphics/banner to my website.

I need your assistance.

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Dan Toombs writes:

Thank you very much for the post Marc! Is it possible to go back to previously published articles and give them an alternate author name? I think that would be a good ideas for a few of my hobby articles.

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM

No, it is not possible for you to go back and make these changes. If they needed to be changed, we would need to change them for you.

Great Advice Marc Thanks, I was thinking that if you only have very few random articles to begin with, splitting them up like that might diminish your appearance? This sounds like something you would want to do when you have 10 or more articles. Secondly, if I go into edit the author name on one of my existing articles, will I see the change right away? You had also mentioned about branding your author names. To me this translates to fashioning your resource box to describe your business and brand. So each author would essentially be associated with their respective resource box. Other than the name and resource box area, where can we brand? Should the photos for each author be different?

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 1:29 PM

The more articles you have in your niche, the more credibility you have as an expert in your niche.

Some authors use one name and that’s it. This is OK too. Some use simple variations of their formal name and use this name to write “less formal” articles or more personal ones.

If you want to change any existing author name on an already published article, we would need to make that change for you.

And yes, you are on target with your resource box and brand explanation.

GimmeADream writes:

Thanks for the tip. I do write about multiple subjects in multiple niches. What can I say…, I have a lot of interests as varied as the weather and all are under the GimmeADream brand. Up until this post, I thought that was a good idea but now I’ll have to rethink my strategy.

Wynn Currie

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Doug Orchard writes:

Am I right in figuring that I can easily assign a seperate name to each article without having to change the
author profile each time?
Or, Does each pen name get an appropriate author profile?
(the video did not load for me so if you answered these questions I did not hear it)

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM

You are such a clear presenter. Thank you. I smiled with this one given that I’m a psychotherapist and because I thought of Carl Jung who wrote about “all the little people of the psyche.” He would clearly get your message.

I wonder how many names Leonardo da Vinci would require in 2010! And let us never forget Shakespeare, “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet”….

Kind regards,

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Brian Foley writes:

Great advice. But I’m still not clear if each alternate name can have it’s own profile, or at least it’s own photo.

Any advice?

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Kris Beus writes:

This may be very helpful to me since I write on two diffrent niches. I can brand diffrent pen names to diffrent article categories. Good post.

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 11:06 PM

How many alternate author names are we allowed to have? I had previously thought we could only have one other one, but I need like, 5 in all :P lol

Comment provided February 24, 2010 at 7:18 AM

FDL, ;-)

You’ll have no problem, then. We allow a maximum of 50 alternate author names.

Brian writes:

OK so you realise you should have created alternate author names but you have already written a bunch of articles on different topics, quite legitimately by the way.

Now you would like to create the alternative author for each subject and move existing articles to the appropriate alternative.

Is that possible?

Comment provided February 24, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Brian writes:

Sorry I should have noticed that you already say moving articles to an alternate is possible but that you need to do it.

So my question is now, how exactly is that arranged?

You can write in to our Member Support Team and they will assist you.

naijajob writes:

It is a welcome development.
Sometime I am confuse whether to create another account for different niche, but with the alternate author name, this problem has been solved.

Thanks so much

Comment provided February 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Yvonne F Brown writes:

I have multiple niches as well and so would like to know if I would need to create a new writeup for the author profile box at the bottom of each article.

Additonally, do I have the option of adding a different picture, or do you use the current one?

Comment provided February 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Thanks for this new development. That has been the main area where I had had problems with approving my articles because my names were kind of reversed on my profile and resource box thereby making it look as though they were two different authors. Now that we can have alternate names without problems I think this problem is now permanently solved. I believe there are still some areas where we can improve to make this platform better.

Comment provided February 25, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Rinaldi Syahran writes:

A good article and makes people get new information and also useful.

Comment provided February 25, 2010 at 6:12 AM

Stephen Gruber writes:

Could you please clarify if it is possible to have different profiles associated with various pen names.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Stephen – If by “profile” you mean Author Bio, then the answer is yes, each Pen name can have it’s own unique bio.

Wolfgang writes:

This is more a question than a comment, if I am doing some work for a client, and I need to write some articles for him, is it possible to write using his or her name under my own account?

Comment provided August 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I think you can use their name as your alternate name.

You have put a brilliant topic, never thought of using alternate names. Really glad to know using alternate names can boost your credibility. Cool

Comment provided September 6, 2011 at 6:11 AM

webby writes:

That was a surprise for me, what I thought was to use a name and for ever. Your blog was really brilliant explaining about the positive side of using alternate names. Good info for beginners like me. Thank you very much.

Comment provided September 6, 2011 at 6:33 AM

thank you. author name is always a problem

Comment provided October 31, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Diane Ziomek writes:

I have wondered what it meant by alternate author names; now I know. I write about homemaking and writing; the two occasionally merge. Is it advisable to have separate author names or is my name alone okay? Both of my blogs are under the same name and have reference to each other.

Thank you for clarifying what was meant by “alternate author”.

Comment provided January 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Diane –

In your circumstances, I would recommend sticking with one author name since there’s a lot of cross-over and your blogs are already established in the same author name. To change author names now would confuse your readers and create an unnecessary workload for you.

– Marc

Don writes:

Am not an author yet on EzineArticles but contemplating it.
IMHO, while the alternate name solves some issues under certain circumstances, it also has its disadvantage. The author loses credit and recognition for his work that now goes to a fictional name.

Comment provided May 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM