How-To Article Template

Use this simple, yet powerful and flexible template to create your next set of high-quality articles.

Writing a how-to article seems like an easy task, but forget one step and your “Simple Guide to Installing a Toilet” could end up as a simple guide to disaster! Spend a little time analyzing your subject matter, however, and the outcome will be valuable content your readers will love.

A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Great How-To Article:

1. Pick a Topic in Your Niche – Think about things that you have done that require a specific set of steps, like how to install a toilet, build a bookshelf or make a 3-bean salad.

2. Lead with a Great Title – What is the top benefit of your informative article? Use that as your title. Try this template: “How to [get/save/become] and [insert big reward here].” In his book, Advertising Headlines That Make You Rich, copywriter David Garfinkel gives these examples:
    • How to Save Time and Get Things Done (Time Management Coach)
    • How to Get a Better Job and Make More Money (Recruiter)
    • How to Save Money and Retire Rich (Financial Planner)

You don’t have to use the words “How To.” You could just say “Install a Toilet Yourself and Save a Pile of Money” – or whatever.

3. Begin with a Simple Introduction – Maybe relating a personal experience as to how you came to know about the topic the hard way – or, conversely, how simple it was to learn.

4. Include a List of Supplies, Tools and/or Resources – If your reader is going to need something besides their wits to accomplish the task, tell them upfront so they can prepare everything in advance.

5. Write Instructions in Chronological Order – Don’t make your instructions convoluted or confusing – keep it short and simple (KISS) and don’t include more than one thought per step.

6. Create Mental Images – Since your article can’t include photos or illustrations, use words to paint a picture instead. Clearly describe what your reader will experience to avoid confusion … and a loss of credibility for you!

7. Conclude with Cautions, Tips and Advice – This is a great place to add some goodwill and wrap things up on a positive note. It’s also a wonderful way to lead readers into your Resource Box.

Using this incredibly flexible and powerful template, you’ll be able to create article after article that will not only benefit your readers, but you as well with increased traffic, credibility and exposure.

Now put this free template to good use writing your next set of high-quality, original How-To articles. Then stop back here with a link to your article so that everyone can take a look.

Want more? You have so much knowledge and many experiences to share with the world! Make ten times easier with EzineArticles’ Article Templates. Get the original 52 Article Templates or pick your own Article Template Packages.

This post was updated on Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM CST.

Scott Orcutt writes:

I am now inspired to write a how-to article. I’d been thinking about it but now I will.

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM

pink pig writes:

Great template, and starting point for someone just starting out (me!)

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Karen Hutton writes:

Great template….just wrote an article using it and it was way easier than my previous attempts. Brilliant.

Karen

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Thank you for your template, Chris!

“How to” articles are very powerful online!

Another alternative is to indicate an action already started, and instead of writing “How to build your personality” for ex., write “Buiding your personality”.

This is also a very powerful title, according to what headline experts affirm.

Of course, we can merely write “Build your personality” without the “how to”, but this is not a good idea, as I have observed after a few tests.

Whenever we can give a “how to” title to our articles, this is what we should do, because they mean guidance, lessons, step by step directions, etc., and this is what most readers are looking for.

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Sunganani writes:

Again, you overdeliver! I like it and am learning it. It is working wonders for my businesses, online and off.

what I like about EzineArticles is the training and high standards. In other words you give the high standards and then give the training for it.

Thanks you guys

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Pastor Bobby writes:

Excellent lesson in article writing. Even the most prolific article writer needs to consider the basic structure of an article.

Thanks

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Georgio Sasso writes:

Now I can write how to articles in a way which is easy for the reader to follow. I really thougth your template was useful for the type of writing I do.

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Robyn Beazley writes:

Fantastic information! Thanks

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Lisa writes:

Great template. I have some of these on my blog and people love them!

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM

James writes:

Wow!! This stuff really excite me and I am learning also, plus I have started to listen to the buzz in the industry as I think of the next topic top write about.
This “How To” is a great article building tip.
Thanks Chris

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM

After having been reading your advice, I have a better understanding of how to write “How-to” article. Thank you very much for your valuable helps.

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Jakob writes:

Well I have to say you got it almost right with this article. Analyses have shown that most internet readers are skimming the text of an article, so a short description and the conclusion should be in TOP of the article, and contain bulleted lists or anything that attracts the eye.

At least thats my opinion.

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Anita writes:

Now I am going to write “How to..” articles for my baby website YAY!!!

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Great Template, I can’t wait to try it. It’s well organized to hit the high points of your article so the reader can get right to your message.

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM

baby writes:

good info for newbie..

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Michelle writes:

Thanks so much for this template! It will definitely come in handy….

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Olivia writes:

Thanks for the template. Here is a link
to one of my “how to” articles.

How to Clear Wrinkles – Four Important Tips That Are Often Overlooked

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Olivia,

Thanks for the link. Your article is a great example of a “Things to Do/Avoid” article like you’d get using this template:

The “How-To” template works best for a straightforward, step-by-step how-to article.

Elisha Hong writes:

It made more sense to me when I noticed how the article was outlined using a picture of it. Great template and guideline and I love the “How To” headline, it really works!

Thanks!

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Roger C. Parker writes:

Dear Chris, and everyone at EzineArticles:
This article writing template is a great service to offer authors and subject area experts.

The 7 steps you offer demystifies article marketing and the inevitable frustration and stress created by “aimless writing.”

Great job, as usual.

Roger

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Rhonda Daniels writes:

It’s so nice to see helpful information offered to make things simple for customers.

Your templates, accompanying photos, and instructions for using them do just that!

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Where do I go to either get this template or download it so I can use it??? thanks from Heather (HD WAM)

Comment provided February 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Heather,

The templates we offer aren’t really “templates” in the truest sense of the word. You can’t just fill in the blanks and hit Submit.

A better name for them would be “recipes” because they’re basically a step-by-step plan with the ingredients for a great article in a specific style.

So, the template you’re looking for is right in this Blog post – it’s the 7-step process titled “A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Great How-To Article.”

Paula writes:

I was very hesitated to write “how to” articles as I didn’t know where to start. This “how to” guide really motivates me to start writing my articles. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided February 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM

dennie writes:

Solid and sensible advice… wish I worked with more folks who “get” writing. Got more from your blog than the recent Ragan newsletters!

thanks

Comment provided February 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Sheryl James writes:

Nice tips are mentioned here, I will take the advices and start a fresh one today, lets see where I land.

Comment provided February 4, 2010 at 6:15 AM

rosis writes:

Great template,though I have not use it ,I think it will useful to me in one day of my writing life.

Comment provided February 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Deena writes:

Great article – almost fill-in-the blanks easy. I’m ready to go!

Comment provided February 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the article template, it looks like it would be easy to use.

You make article writing easy, thanks for all of your tips on article writing.

Jeanette

Comment provided February 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Great stuff Christopher! Teaches me (step-by-step) how to write a how-to article! Yay!

Comment provided February 9, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Wanita Busch writes:

I’ve had a hard time understanding what the importance of article writing is. Lately I’m beginning to understand.
Thanks for the advice on how to get started. How to

Comment provided February 14, 2010 at 8:03 AM

DanielB writes:

The title (#2) should be catchy but not overly creative. I try to use my top keywords. Leave the creative farther down. Nice post, all the same

Daniel
CopyStratic.com

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Jessica writes:

I actually have a request. First of all, I love these templates. They are so helpful.

Here is my request. Would it be possible for you to show us a book review template? I read a lot and would like to submit book reviews. I think a lot of people would benefit from this.

Thank you!

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Jessica,

Read this blog post, by the part that begins “Specifically”:

Jessica writes:

Hi Christopher,

Thank you so much for the information. This will be very helpful!

Jessica

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Wanita Busch writes:

I wrote one article already and it was accepted. Thank you for all the information about articles. It has helped me understand better about how to go about it.

Comment provided February 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM

John Mans writes:

This is the most straight to the point guide in writing how to article, easy to understand and precised. thanks. as a new member here, it really gives me some insights.

Comment provided March 10, 2010 at 5:41 PM

John Scaparo writes:

I’m new to EzineArticles.com and this will give me a fast start. Looking forward to getting started. Thanks

Comment provided March 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Ellie writes:

Great How to template now we have to just get some time to create some great How to’s on lingerie related subjects.

Comment provided March 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Bob Crawford writes:

There is something very zen-like about writing an article about how to write a how to article. Great stuff as always!

Peace,
Bob

Comment provided April 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I like your comment Bob…’something very zen-like about writing an article’.

Peace!

Great template. I plan to do lots of these so I created a true template. Here it is for anyone who wants to use it. Short and simple and goes along with what the article says to do.

Keyword-rich Title – Example: How To _________ In ____ Easy Steps

Introduction

Supplies, Tools and/or Resources needed

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Conclusion with Tips and Advice – lead into resource box at end

Comment provided February 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Avner BEN writes:

I love to write “How To” articles about various subjects. At a glance, this template will add a degree of added simplicity to help my efforts to write more articles of this type. Thank you Ezines for enabling me to indulge my passion for writing “How To” articles with more ease.

Best regards,

Avner Ben

Comment provided April 29, 2011 at 4:49 AM

This template really help me a lot. But I don’t know if this template can solve instruction that not straight forward, for example instruction 1 and 3 have branch instruction that have other condition and other supply needed for it to work. Anyhow i love this template, like other said, it’s great stuff.

Comment provided October 4, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Holly writes:

This would be great to use with my students! Are printable templates available?

Comment provided October 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Holly –

Yes, 52 of the templates are available in a printable, interactive PDF version based on our “Article Templates Deck of Cards” product. They’re available for $37 here:

Just select the radio button labeled “52 Interactive Article Templates on PDF” and click the “Buy Now” button.

– Marc

Joseph J writes:

When I came across this article, I knew that this template and guidelines were going to be the starting point of my “How To” articles.

I will also be checking out your other templates and articles as well.

Thanks for making this available Christopher,

Joseph J

Comment provided November 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Dev writes:

I have read this article carefully and get more tips and guidelines for How-To article. It was inspired me and i would like to give thankful to EzineArticles.

Thanks
Dev

Comment provided December 29, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Hemant Makwana writes:

It’s very useful article and helped me to write article. thank for sharing such great information.

Comment provided March 30, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Jhon Lembo writes:

Very…very simple way.. I never think about this before. Thanks Christopher.
You help me to write my own “how to” articles

Comment provided July 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Creating a mental image is probably one of the most important tips in this article. It’s so vital to pull your readers in to what is being written. Creating an image builds a fast connection between you and your client. Great article.

Comment provided July 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Kevin Timothy writes:

This is yet another great tip from the genius minds at EzineArticles. You can bet on me bookmarking and adding this to Pinterest.

Comment provided August 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

ThomasA writes:

I have never mind about this. I’m usually hire people to write article for my site, I will try this easy guide

Comment provided August 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Sana Khatri writes:

In the last post I was preaching to you about how important it is to NOT try to sell anything in your articles, but to rather discreetly, indirectly, subtly engage your readers through your article content.

Comment provided September 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Sasangka writes:

Your posting gives me a clear guidance to write articles better. Thanks.

Comment provided September 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Daniel Kowalsky writes:

Great template. I hope people do not get bored by seeing this used over and over again

Comment provided September 28, 2012 at 7:01 AM

thnank you for this article help

Comment provided September 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Raquel Honrado writes:

It’s a helpful tip especially for a beginner like me to write a very good and concise article. Thanks EzineArticles!

Comment provided September 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Angelica Young writes:

Simple and straight to the point. You have broken it down so well it makes a daunting task seem easy. Thanks!

Comment provided October 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

James King II writes:

There is nothing like a basic list to get me to stop procrastinating, and get started writing more articles.

Comment provided October 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Napoleon writes:

Thanks a lot for a very useful article. For a newbie like me, this is somenthing i need to understand in writing articles for my blog! I will definetely follow this post!

Comment provided October 18, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Faisal writes:

Using this template, anybody can write a quality how-to article

Comment provided October 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Lonnie Kenfield writes:

Thanks for this template. I wanted to write a “How To” article for do-it-yourself carpet cleaning. Now I’m more confident about how to structure it.

Comment provided November 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Veronique writes:

Excellent stuff! I can already think of several ideas I could use this template for!

Comment provided January 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Vera writes:

Great post. Thanks Chris for the info. As a newbie,very scared of how to go about writing an article,but your info has given me a great insight and now i am relieved and is convinced i can make it writing an article.

Comment provided June 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Hi Vera,

Welcome to EzineArticles! If you have any questions along your article writing journey please don’t hesitate to ask our Support Team by using the Contact Us button within your My.EzineArticles account. We look forward to your contributions!

~Vanessa

Myhox writes:

It is the pragmatic way to write high quality content within limited time-frame. This article templates helpful to those beginner who are searching the easy way to write good stuffs for their readers.
Thank you for this nice piece.

Comment provided September 24, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Dave Careaga writes:

One of my 4th grade students said, “It’s a how-to article about how to write a how-to article!” That’s so meta it blew my mind.

Comment provided December 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Joe Pantel writes:

Hello, this article was extremely interesting, especially because I
was looking for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

Comment provided September 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM