Write More Articles in Less Time with Article Sets

Discover how to use “The Zone” to leverage your time and significantly increase your return on investment.

Almost all writers, at one time or another, experience something I like to call “The Zone”. It’s that state of mind where you and your subject become one and the words just seem to flow from your mind to the keyboard.

Anytime you’re in “The Zone” you have the perfect opportunity to use that focus and energy to write several more related articles in a very short amount of time. When you write 2 or more related articles at a sitting, you create what Chris Knight refers to as an article set.

In this video, I’ll show you 5 different types of article sets and how to use them. Plus, as a bonus feature, I’ll demonstrate how to properly pronounce “The Zone” and correctly perform the accompanying hand gestures.

WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

5 Types of Article Sets:

1. Article Sets by Topic or Sub-Topic – Use if you need several articles all on the same topic or niche.
  2. Article Sets by Style of Writing – For example: Question and answer, debate, bullet point, etc.
  3. Article Sets Based on Customer Questions or FAQ’s – Probably the quickest and easiest article set to write since you already know the answers. Use each question and answer as the basis for a separate article.
  4. Article Sets by Keyword or Keyphrase – Most common article set. Scale up your efforts to write 3 or more articles per keyword or keyphrase.
  5. Accidental Article Set – Created by turning one long article into several shorter articles and giving each a different title.

Writing article sets, whether on purpose or not, is a great way to drive traffic to your website or blog. So if you’re in “The Zone” don’t stop at one article – keep writing! Then come back here and tell us all about it.

Surferz World writes:

Useful info, Yes, content is a “king”, the way we present articles will drive traffic to our site. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Cathy Chapman writes:

Sometimes we need some help with “insights into the obvious.” Great info. Thank you.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Mark writes:

Great video. This is a good way to organize your article writing. I will think of this the next time I am in “the zone”.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

These are very powerful ideas, especially 3 and 4. Thanks for posting this video.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Debi Davis writes:

Thanks Marc. Great words for new article writers.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Thanks man excellent info! Im starting on my first set right now!

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM

This is a good idea!

Another way to prepare a set of articles is by writing a summary of what you intend to develop later. This helps you finish writing your articles faster, because you have time to think about how to develop them, after defining what exactly you are going to talk about. You are also able to easier calculate their word count.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM

David writes:

This is good timing as I just wrote a 7 article set and have been “meaning” to submit them to EzineArticles.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Lisa writes:

Great advice, as usual. I LOVE writing article sets and do it on a regular basis. It’s so easy once you’re in “The Zone”.

My friends and family all know once I am in “The Zone” to steer clear. :p

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Number 4 is great, it allows you to further analyze your keyphrases down into smaller parts or take them back to their philosophical roots.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM

That create zone feels good doesn’t it, when you get into article set, my most productive time, I can crank out 3 – 5 articles nonstop until my hands get tired…lol but good tips and video.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Chuck writes:

Thanks Marc for really breaking down the process of creating several types of articles. I can’t wait to get in “The Zone”.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Very useful information.

Thanks for the article Marc!

Robert J. Parker, Sr.
Pageland, South Carolina

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Bradley Davis writes:

I think I need your monitor Marc! Thanks for the info, very helpful as always!

Your “The Zone” voice sounds like you are in the Dodgeball. hehe

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Rob Wagner writes:

This is great for new writers like myself. The hardest part is finding the time, writing 4 or 5 articles all at the same time may be a more productive way of getting your writing goals accomplished. thanks for the tips will be using them.

BTW how do I get one of those cool EzineArticles shirts?

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Byron Smith writes:

Awesome article tips, I can’t wait to start writing again.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

HOW TZE writes:

I strongly agree on this : “Article Sets by Topic or Sub-Topic” as this is important in creating an authority site.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Doug Orchard writes:

engaging film thanks for your ideas and insights
encourages me to go write.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM

The video gets stuck at #4 on my machine. I enjoyed it up until then. ‘The Zone’ is the muse. You can call the muse. You can dream the muse.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Since your report about the video is the only one we’ve received, I can only assume the problem is on your end. You may want to confirm that you have the most recent Flash plug-in for your browser. You could also download one of the alternative versions instead.

I like the muse analogy – now I just have to figure out the appropriate voice and hand gestures to accompany it! ;-)

DoYouKnow.IN writes:

Its really very great.. Thanks for the great Tips

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Denise Allen writes:

Thank you for posting that video blog. It was very, very helpful. I’m going to use the keyword technique for my next set of articles.

Comment provided February 18, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Marcus Baker writes:

Excellent advice for all article writers. Thank you.

Comment provided February 19, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Scott Kelley writes:

Thanks for the tip. I find myself in the zone when I am writing most the time and Started doing what you are talking with sub headers realizing it was an article in its own. Now I know what I was doing and will capatalize on it more. Thanks I open all the emails from you guys because i learn something or am reminded to share. Have a wonderful day and thanks again.
Scott Kelley

Comment provided February 19, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Cathy Chapman writes:

Since I’ve been thumping myself on the head and thinking, “Why didn’t I think of that” you have stimulated my creative juices. Thank you sooo much.

Since last night I now have 5 new articles in the draft section for my final review and three more titles ready to attend to when I get back from my exercising date … all done more quickly than most of my other articles

Comment provided February 19, 2010 at 8:44 AM

That’s great to hear – thanks for the feedback. I’m glad we could help!

This really does work, I have used these techniques. Another helpful piece is to have a running list of ideas to write about with any initial thoughts you have at the time. When not in the zone the hardest part is usually the idea and general theme.

Comment provided February 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Truly, after reading this blog yesterday, I had one of these moment. I love it when that happens.

Comment provided February 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I am working on a set of ten articles to promote my new Teaching with Fables demonstration, and this advice is useful.

I am extending this concept of an article set into a teaching set (about 25 strategies for using a single fable).

The results are the same; i.e., a lot more ideas and a lot more content in less time…and deeper exploration of the content.

Use my teaching site as a model for how to expand your writing in many other ways…

Comment provided February 21, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Steve M Nash writes:

This is a great idea, so thanks for sharing. I particularly like the idea of article sets a) that focus on one keyword and b) that are accidental; i.e. you split a long article into sevearl shorter articles.

Many thanks. Will get onto this (soon)!

Comment provided February 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM

jade marse writes:

I am new to article writing and I’m just start to write my first article and this in information helps me.

This is totally great for feasibility study of article writing strategy.

Comment provided March 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM

CD Rates Blog writes:

Question, I pounced upon a set by accident, but wanted to link them. It seems that the link policy hinders inter-linking of sets. I have a Part I,II,III, and probably a IV. Can I use one of the non self serving links to at least link I to II, II to III, and III to IV and IV back to I?

cd :O)

Comment provided March 16, 2010 at 4:18 PM

You can link to an article in sets. It will be counted as a self-serving link. You will want to be sure that each article stands alone.

CD Rates Blog writes:

I guess part of the problem is you can’t add the links until all of the articles are approved, although you can somewhat guess about the URL. And in order to add the link you have to take the article out of approved status and resubmit it.

Secondly, the link is both self serving and EzineArticles serving. It does point the article to another article on EzineArticles, thus keeping them there longer.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I guess I’ll give it a try and see how it goes.

Keep in mind that our new review process keeps your old version of the article live while you are making modifications and we are reviewing it. After our review is complete and the modifications have been approved, it will simply replace the old live version.

Note: We are not article part friendly. I would not recommend linking to another article in a series. This makes syndication of those articles near impossible or less likely to occur.

Take a look at this for more tips:

Marc Gaensslen writes:

That is a fantastic video! Unfortunately I’m not a native but after I watched it the 3rd time I kept many information AND could use them! Thanks :-)

Comment provided March 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Khalid Osman writes:

Both of the article and the video are helpful, indeed. Thanks Marc. However, the fourth point about writing several articles (seeding) the articles from one keyword, brings my attention to the following question: how to avoid duplicate content while we were in this “Dzone” ;-)

Could that be possible by checking keyword phrases in that one article and using the common for a new page? I think this way somebody could build many pages with different but relevant keywords. How do search engines treat this?

I always find seeds of keywords that found my pages!

Comment provided March 24, 2010 at 2:56 PM

UZOMA writes:

I think that article marketing will succeed as a great means of traffic to your site if and only if you create quality content. Teach others. There are many people ou there that are seeking for quality information like a tutorial or step-by-step guide. help hem to get what they want and you will get what you want

Comment provided April 19, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Chin M C writes:

GREAT Stuff – I have heard of Articles set a while back – I have made it a point of using it to improve my writing ..many thanks

Comment provided April 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Nate Ouderkirk writes:

Thanks for the advice on article sets–but I have a question as to how to handle titles. I’m breaking up an article that was originally titled, Finding a Professional Sharpening Service into three separate articles and it’s working great. But I’d like to have some connection between them, plus I’d like to start dominating the key words “professional sharpening”.

Currently I’m using a structure where the first half of the title stays the same, while the second half changes. LIke this: 1) Finding a Professional Sharpening Service—Always Do Your Homework; 2) Finding a Professional Sharpening Service—First, Know Thy Knife; 3) Finding a Professional Sharpening Service—Equipment Is Something, But Not the Main Thing. But I realize that this might be ridiculously repetitive and cumbersome. Do you have any suggestions as to the best way to proceed?
thanks much, nate

Comment provided July 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Nate –

In my opinion, you’re definitely on the right track with your article titles. Your titles contain the keywords you’re trying to target and they have a connection to each other that readers will appreciate.

The one suggestion I might make is to try to include keywords on both “sides” of your title. For example, this one is great: “Finding a Professional Sharpening Service—First, Know Thy Knife” since it contains both your primary keywords AND the secondary keyword “knife” on the other side. This one: “Finding a Professional Sharpening Service—Equipment Is Something, But Not the Main Thing,” however, could be dialed in a little. Perhaps “Finding a Professional Sharpening Service—Knife Sharpening Equipment Is Something, But Not the Main Thing” or something like that would be even more effective.

Here are two blog posts that might help you out a bit: http://Blog.EzineArticles.com/2011/08/getting-the-best-out-of-a-title-writing-power-hour.html and http://Blog.EzineArticles.com/2011/05/driving-traffic-with-titles.html

– Marc