Meet The Developers

Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at the Developers who work to make the EzineArticles Platform the best:

[Their ThinkGeek shirts actually show how strong the WiFi signal is. Pretty nerdy, eh?]

You may already know that two human Editors review every article that is submitted (1st editorial review and a Quality Control 2nd review), but what you may not know is how many additional people are involved behind-the-scenes in touching every single article submission to ensure the success of each member, user and internal user of our platform.

As many as 15-17 people are involved in every single article submission transaction!

Example activities include:

• Ensuring the servers are operating efficiently to all of the error/handling
  • Link-quality checking
  • Author/member history profiles
  • Social media distribution systems
  • Statistics and reporting
  • Site security
  • Site/article “discoverability”
  • Email servers for messaging/email alerts/newsletters/sequenced and segmented mailings
  • RSS/XML feeds/widgets
  • Usability and tracking member analytics and feedback
  • API’s to all of our internal systems that ensure the continuity/accuracy of our databases

Most of our software platform development philosophies are kept fairly confidential because this is our “secret sauce” for how we deliver a delightful experience to our users, members, partners, employees and everyone involved in EzineArticles System.

Four things to share about our Development Team:

1. Speed Rules – Everything revolves around benchmarking, delivering speed, tweaking code to improve performance, and using analytics and various other tools to measure our performance so that we can continually improve how fast we deliver all of our services externally and internally.
  2. Think in Scale – Everything we create must be able to handle massive future scaling requirements.
  3. Constant Innovation is What Makes Us Tick – Members, users and our internal team provide constant feedback combined with our own analytics data as the basis for our priorities and all yet-to-be-released features.
  4. Build Trust – Trust is built on database integrity, consistency of performance, uptime and speed of accessibility.

Most of our developers are working on multiple projects at once from a list of at least 100 different feature requests or process improvements. I’m proud of our team – their efforts form the foundation of our platform and cement our ability to execute our business strategy and to deliver on every single expectation of the million+ daily visitors to the site!

I often get the credit here in the Blog when new features roll out, but it’s our team of Developers who deserve the credit. They are the “secret sauce!” :-)

Lisa writes:

haha awesome and I love the shirts!

Thanks for all your hard work everyone. :) It is much appreciated.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Mike writes:

Thanks for everything you do I’ve benefitted from the work you put out on a daily basis! :)

Keep it going!

(Does anyone want to work with me…?)

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Alejandro Guevara Onofre writes:

Without a doubt, they are an “All Star Team!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Laura writes:

Only one woman? Come on, we can be geeks too!!! :)

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM

You are absolutely correct. However, until more women decide to be geeks the picture will continue to look like that. When I was taking classes for my Masters in CS, I was often the only female in the class. I was the only female from the US in my program. No one tried to discourage me from taking CS. In fact, they wanted me in the program for “diversity.” So, it boils down to the choices women make. By the way, I was also an “old woman” – most of the students were my kids age!

In any case, Go Team! Your software is very robust! Or, at least it is from the front end! I know what the backend can look like!

Andrea Monk writes:

Thank you guys. I LOVE writing articles for EzineArticles. It always feel professional and “proper”.

I love the fact that they are all read and accepted or rejected. it keeps the standard good for the Author and the Reader.

Many thanks and keep up the great work.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Loretta writes:

You all are great! thanks for helping keep us published, online and getting that audience.
How do i get a great tee like that?

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM

You can get it from

Leon M. Cautillo writes:

It is obvious to me that the combined efforts are preceded by the intent of each member to advance the capacity of the human species to communicate ideas to the whole. That you are enabling people of like interests to find like ideas. You are possibility enablers and you open the space for those who are looking for specific answers to their dreams and to attract them. The rippling effects of your efforts are only beginning. To the team of leading edge spirits, I salute you all.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Will Nelson writes:

Your staff’s efforts are matched by Leon’s vision of what is possible. I wonder what he does – you might hire him! It made me think about the vision of my company. WOW – thanks to the whole group.

James W. Chase writes:

You guys are great!!! It is good to see a face behind the Computer. Love the te shirts

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Wayne writes:

I just want to say that team does a great job.
The Tee Shirts are the bomb.
Keep up the good work!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Frank writes:

well, so much for racial/cultural/age diversity! A strikingly unbalanced-looking team in those terms…

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I’d agree with you IF our team composition was radically different than the census data for our geographic area.

Silicon Cheese Valley “Green Bay” isn’t exactly the mecca of cosmopolitan population of people. We can only do the best with the applicants who apply.

And, hopefully, you get to choose the best person for the job – no matter the color, religion or gender! If I ever get hired because I’m female, instead of a worthy developer – that’s a job I quit!

It is great to see who is behind all the work. Thanks for everything. I really like to write articles for EzineArticles because I feel like I have done something when they are approved here.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I don’t think some truly realize the amount of time and energy put into this site. I am not an “expert” in the field of website development and just the little I do is crazy confusing, so to have a great team as you all work so hard at keeping this place running smooth, YEAH to you! You guys rock, thanks for all you do!!

I so want one of those T-shirts, that is so cool!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Your group is why your site is so efficient and amazing. I am glad you recognized the behind the scenes people because far too often, they never get the recognition.

I’d like to echo Laura’s comment about only 1 woman, and the guys look all fairly white to me! Considering today is MLK day: diversity, diversity, diversity… or is that just standard fare in geekdom?

Great job to all the team at EzineArticles. You are all really awesome! Candace

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM

It’s a reflection of who applies for jobs here in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

We’re an equal opportunity employer with women and minorities encouraged to apply.

Lisa writes:

I was going to blame it on the weather and ask you all to show off your “snow-tans”. :p

Laura writes:

I hope you guys know I was just poking fun about there being just one woman! As for minorities, I live four hours north of Green Bay and there isn’t any cultural diversity here either. :)

Joe writes:

I think some of you are focusing on inter-group diversity (diversity within the group), but what about intra-group group
(diversity amongst the groups)?

Why does every group have to be internally diverse? I never really understood that. Sometimes you want everything to be the same color, don’t you? Ironically, if EVERY group was internally diverse in color, then all the groups would be the same, thereby succeeding in doing the exact opposite of what you intended.

If you really wanted to have diversity you would have to have some groups that are all black, some that are all white and some that have all the other various combinations. True diversity, then would have to have every mathematically possible combination of all the races, which would include groups of 1 color, 2 colors 3 colors etc. etc. Not even to mention, gender, nationality, etc etc., boy it gets complicated.

I think the diversity experts recommend, for best business practice, that you represent your community (customers). So, if your customers are half black and half white, then your staff should be too ( I don’t personally agree, but that’s what I heard). If you guys wanted to do this, I guess you would have to recruit people from outside your geographic area.

I think you guys are the best article bank on the internet. I see you guys really dominating even more so in the future, probably taking over the other article directories.

I guess I should have just made this an article. Thanks for everything, Good Job!

Now for the software plan to make EzineArticles staff racially balanced to their customer base:

User Requirements Update:
1) A user will be forced to indicate their diversity configuration before they receive an account.
2) To be sure the user isn’t lying, the account will not be activated until DNA proofs of diversity factors are produced.
3) Users will be assured that their diversity pool will be equally represented in staff by a capture algorithm. That is, once the new diversity factor Y is determined at X period (or should this be real time?) EzineArticles Search and Capture team will scour the international pool of programmers for new programmers to meet Y diversity factor, capture the required number of programmers and import them to Green Bay, WI. Should it be determined that the current situation (at any time point X) is over populated with diversity factor Y, those current team members will be fired with a suggestion that they be sent to replace the new member and thereby increasing the diversity factor of that location.

Further Study Needed the author understands that some areas of Brazil and China have excellent programmers, and these areas are not balanced to Caucasian males of European descent.

Conclusion and Recommendation:
We feel that this plan will actually meet the additional goal of balancing the diversity factor of other geographic locations. Therefore we recommend that the Search and Capture team be funded by grants.

Joe writes:

Nora, I really like the way you think and write. You had me literally cracking up 4 times while I read your comment.

Thanks! It was a fun thought – now, if I just would have proofed it for typos, it would have been perfect!

J Epperson writes:

Thank you all very much.

I appreciate all of the hard work that you are providing to allow me a medium to express myself. Because of you, I have been able to unlock a hidden dream.

Many years ago, I dreamed of becoming a writer. Because of your work, I am able to fulfill that dream, to some extent.

Whether I get read or not, I am having a blast!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Eva Pasco writes:

My sincere thanks to the team for putting my words out there!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM

signe nichols writes:

hi lady and gentlemen!

good work. I know it’s a lot of mental work doing programming and computer work.

you all need some more women on the team!

we (my business partner and I) LOVE EzineArticles and suggest it to all our clients and EVERYONE we know!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Scott Moir writes:

Your operation and it’s responsibilities reminds me a little of a smaller scale Google. Kind of aligned with the with the forward looking Google Caffeine implementation.

I admire your quality assurance measures and constant innovation. And yes, I agree Mr. Knight receives way too much credit (j/k).

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Douglas Doe writes:

You guys do a great job. As a web developer myself, I can appreciate the enormous work and dedication it takes to maintain an online system like

Keep it going and know that you work keeps millions of people going. Thanks

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Gail Olson writes:

Hi everyone, Thanks for all of your hard work. I also want to thank you for all the tips on how to write an article, I need them. Gail

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Clara Rose writes:

As a professional I track all of my efforts… as do most business owners, to make sure my time is being well spent.

During the third qtr of 2009, my articles on EzineArticles drove 3 times the traffic that my other online endeavors did. Good to know for the coming months!

Keep up the good work. BTW, it wouldn’t hurt your efforts to get a couple more ladies on the team :)

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM

One way we can get more women on our programming team is IF THEY APPLY. :-)

We have many new developer openings… so if you like coding in PHP and live in the Green Bay, Wisconsin area, be sure to apply.

You guys rock. You have kept me on the path to better articles and away from the sleaziness of info ads. Keep up the momentum.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Darwin writes:

Thank you very much for the great work that you do to provide a great user experience. I know that the technical challenges that you deal with every day are very trying to say the least! Keep up the good work.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM

thanks for all you do so that we just have to think about our articles. It’s so much easier working with your platform that quite a few others. Here I am, and here I stay! And the ideas and the execution are what keep me not only writing, but enjoying being part of the family of writers. thanks so much!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM

oh, but that little feature where i just put my forehead to my laptop screen and you suck out the articles? when’s that rolling out?

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 2:27 PM

John Luthy writes:

I have written several time to suggest that EzineArticles add a government or public sector category; there is nothing remotely related to what I prefer to write about – public management, public leadership, and preparing communities for a challenging future. Your editors are super … but please add some categories dealing with government

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM

We are not ignoring you :)

We did add the following categories to the table for review and consideration:

Government: Public Leadership
Government: Public Management
Government: Public Sector

Continue to watch the blog for any updates on category/sub-category additions in the near future.

Rosalie Garde writes:

I just received a package in the mail that was such a surprise. It was a gift from EzineArticles for my reaching Platinum. How exciting to have some tangible connection to your team. Thank you so much.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Congratulations for your organization!

Thank you for all your efforts, and constant improvements!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Elizabeth writes:

EzineArticles is great, the team (and t-shirts) are great, but… it would be GREAT if they had more women working there.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Ron Brantley writes:

The “Dream Team” of Article directories…..
…..thanks guys and gal for all your hard work.

I look forward to continuing to work with you in
the future.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Darwin writes:

Thanks for the excellent user experience. I know that it must be very challenging behind the scenes to make that possible. Keep up the good work!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Jeff Herring writes:

Dear “Secret Sauce Team”

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU from me and all my students and members…

You make this a great experience!

Ann Keeler Evans – and just what would you call the “place forehead on screen and suck and article out of my brain” software anyway? huh? HUH?

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Do I have to tell you EVERYTHING? Gentle Article Sensing Program: GASP! It’s all right there for you!

There. you have the title, they’ll make the program and you will market it.

Lisa Mason writes:

The slogan could be “You think it; we write it”

now, hmmm…. we have write it, otherwise they’re the expert authors not us (and WE have the mugs to prove it) hmmm… how about “you conceive it; we’ll manifest it”

so, chris? developers? we’ve conceived it, you manifest it!

ah, lisa, i’m seeing joint products in our future! (conceptual) :)

Lisa writes:

*pressing forehead to monitor*

Did you get my reply? :p

duh! :D

Shirley Bass writes:

Thank you all for making my life easier. I’m grateful you enjoy technology.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Nancy writes:

Thank you very much for your prompt help –
I see there is only one woman on your team … hmmmmm
lucky girl !

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Dr. Prahallad Panda writes:

It is always that, even for a small thing to take shape, there is a lot of behind scene activity; and it is the politeness of the master to share the credit with those actually work. See for an example, in a drama how many are involved in the behind scene activity. Thanks, the Developers.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Richard Kleiner writes:

I saw “Green Bay” in the fine print somewhere before I even started with you guys, and I knew you were great! Grew-up in Madison and always have been a Badger, thanks for being better than I expected. I think most of you were involved in getting my first article on board… Thanks!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Joe Kosterich writes:

Great work team.Thanks for all you do.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Nilofer writes:

Thank You Guys n Gals. You all are doing an awesome job.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I LOVE EzineArticles and have learned so much from reading articles and writing them. Thanks so much for all the hard work. It is good that SOMEBODY knows how to make things work LOL. Thanks again.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Mads Lykke writes:

Thanks for your great works. by the way, I saw the only girl in the team. She is pretty!

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Jim C writes:

Nice work developers. Keep up the good work. The WIFI shirts are actually kind of cool.

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Dose your team realy want their brains fried by that constant WiFi signal?

Comment provided January 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Sean Teer writes:

It is great to see real people behind the service, although the tee shirt emblem looks more like new age electronic butterflies!! I am proud to get my stuff published. Keep up the great work !

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Henry Kunz writes:

Nice to see the team in the “flesh” and nice to know that they get recognition. Keep up the good work!

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Larry Icabandi Nabiong writes:

Well, if Chris Knight is Everbody’s Angel, you, great people, the wind beneath his wings…

And I do appreciate all your efforts making soaring high.

Keep up the good work.

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 3:44 AM

Mahendra Sharma writes:

You guys are great. Without development team the EzineArticles couldn’t be imagined.

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 3:59 AM

Marc writes:

Hello, I am a new member here, so i have only one comment, it looks as if there’s only one female in the whole office, boy she must be a riot around the water cooler :)

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 4:33 AM

Susan Luke writes:

Thank you, team! You are all amazingly wonderful!

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 4:58 AM

Shraddha Naik writes:

It is obvious that there is lot of back-end work required to make things go smoothly and lively. All of you are doing great jobs and the fruits are there for every-one to see. Appreciate the co-ordination and the team-work. Keep it up.

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Christa writes:

The people behind the curtain are usually not thanked, though without them nothing would work.
Thank you programmers for outstanding work.

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM

OK about the women on the team. We know Chris is open and ready to hire women. So maybe the question we have here is why aren’t women in tech moving to this area? and why aren’t more training in this area… this is an opportunity! Go Chris! and thanks developers!

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Most excellent question Ann! I saw several women quit the CS undergrad program because it was “too hard” – math and logic. Another question is, “Why don’t more girls tinker with programming at home as teenagers?” I found that a lot of the young men in the undergrad CS classes were already fairly competent programmers by the seat of their pants learning as teens (bad programming form, little knowledge of programming theory, etc, but they could write code that works). So, the women students (such as myself) actually start the program behind. My own daughter opted for Psychology. I bet if you walked into a Psychology class, you would find mostly women – why is that?

Lisa writes:

Love these threads! They always inspire article ideas. I believe much of this has to do with how we are raised as children. I encourage all four of my children (2 boys, 2 girls) to explore any interests they have, regardless of whether society deems it more appropriate for a male or female. I hope this helps them grow up without the binds of sexual stigma so they can be anything they want to be.

Maybe one of my girls will join Chris’ team in a few years. *wink*

You are so right! And, while I would like my daughter to study some sort of engineering or science based field, it’s her choice to study psychology (grumble, grumble). And, while she could earn a lot more in engineering, she has chosen psychology (grumble, grumble). And, while I find software engineering to be infinitely more interesting than psychology, she doesn’t (OK, mom is staying mum about it.)

Dorothee writes:

Your doing really great work, everybody! Keep it up, we thank you for it.

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM

This is a kick! You do us the favor of showing us your team and 8 people comment on the lack of diversity. My husband is Panamanian. Do you have any Panamanians on your team?

Great work guys and gal – or we could just say, “Great work yous guys.” I understand that “yous guys” is gender non-specific!

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Lisa writes:

In the South, we just say, “ya’ll”

It’s all encompassing :p

Mindy writes:

Keep up the good work. : )

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Brian Campbell writes:

You do such a great job. I’m impressed with EzineArticles ranking and the large scale of your operation. I also like how you are forward thinking, adding more reasons to write on EzineArticles.
Those T-shirts are C O O L !

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Have we failed to thank the wonderful team who makes our lives and businesses great? Without these great people who work for EzineArticles, no matter their color or sex, we would not be where we are today.

I for one am so very grateful for EzineArticles and consider Chis and everyone who works at EzineArticles, as a team when I think of them. After all this is about saying thank you and admiring the talents that these young people offer us.

Have a great day!

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Hear! Hear!!!

Roberta writes:

Thanks to one and all ~ great site! I didn’t know about you until recently.

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 2:27 PM

You speak of accessibility. I am fairly new, and have written a few articles, which have been put in the PET category. Why, with so many articles, do you not organize them, so that one can find an article? They are all over the place. Unless you know the actual title, you cannot find an article. They are endless. Is there no SORT on your computers? Or do you not consider it important? It is somewhat demeaning to be lumped in a bunch, do you not think?

Comment provided January 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Perhaps I do not understand, but I type in my author name if I want to see all of my articles in one spot. You can give your readers your EzineArticle’s address and they can access them from there.

90% of our users land directly on an article of which 50% come from search engines and the other 40% come from a combination of in-house permission-based email alerts, RSS feeds, widgets and direct type in traffic.

That means about 10% of our users come here looking for a specific/type of article and most of them use our advanced search option:

If giving a lot of attention to massive sub-categorization would increase traffic; we’d have done that years ago. I’m not convinced it will increase traffic anywhere near the proportionate amount of effort required to deliver high-speed sorting.

Venkatesh writes:

I was fairly sure that an extraordinary team had to be behind an extraordinary service. Nice to see their faces. I plan to use EzineArticles a lot in the days to come, and while it is always nice to relate to people personally, their faces on photographs are an acceptable substitute. I had only seen photographs of Christopher Knight earlier!

You guys rock – all of you.

Comment provided January 20, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Simon Bunker writes:

Nice post and good to see that you are promoting the team behind the site. Having worked in the tech business for too many years in behind the scenes roles it can be a little demoralizing when you never get any exposure.

Great work and keep it going!!

Comment provided January 20, 2010 at 8:23 AM

blacksmith writes:

Awesome and I love the shirts!!

Comment provided January 20, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Tom Neher writes:

All of you are extemely helpful and professional. It has been an excellent learning experience working with the “team”. Thank you for helping me get it right! And I like the shirts!

Comment provided January 20, 2010 at 10:55 PM

15-17 people involved in every single article submission transaction – that’s awesome guys! Really commendable! You are the secret ingredients in this recipe!

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Geoff writes:

It`s always nice to see the faces behind the scenes. Good job guys (and gal).

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Cyra writes:

Thanks Guys for all your hard work!!!

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Alfonso Carreón-Rodríguez writes:

I want to say thank you very much all of you guys, because I’m pretty new as member of EzineArticles and make a lot of errors additionally because english is not my native language (spanish is). So I think means double o even triple effort to review every single article, that people like me sent you. Nevertheless I appreciate all your dedication including the very tiny details, even when sometimes has represented to me a rejection to publish an article by problem resolution issue. Far for give up for that, I am encouraged to improve my skills as writer every day and get first platinum status and then accomplish the goal of 3rd #HADH. By the way thank you also for all the valuable training information. Keep the great work.

Comment provided February 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM