Harriet Hodgson – Author Spotlight

Expert Author Harriet Hodgson, BS, MA, is in today’s Author Spotlight.

Harriet is not your typical article marketer. She started out as a teacher and earned a BS with honors from Wheelock College in Boston, MA. She went on to earn an MA in Art Education from the University of Minnesota and did additional graduate work. After spending a dozen years in the classroom, she changed careers and turned to writing.

She’s now been an Independent Journalist for more than 30 years and is the author of 27 published books and hundreds of print and electronic articles. She’s a member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the Association of Health Care Journalists, and the Association for Death Education and Counseling. Amazingly, she is also an active GRG (grandparent raising grandchildren) of teens.

Harriet’s education and life experience give her a unique and wise position from which to write her articles. In many ways she is a model for combining article marketing with passion and expertise to benefit not only herself, but her readers as well.

We asked Harriet to share some of her experience and expertise with the rest of the EzineArticles community.

1. Harriet, you do something very few authors manage to do well – you write on an assortment of different topics effectively. What’s your secret?

It is easy for me to find article ideas because virtually everything I write comes from life experience. When I am temporarily stumped, I just take a closer look at my life, and another idea pops up.

2. Are all of your articles written with the intention of driving traffic back to your site or are many just written as labors of love?

I can’t say that I write every article with the idea of driving traffic to my website. However, I have written many articles about loss and grief and this is driving traffic to my website, which is designed to support my books.

3. You’ve written a steady stream of approximately 100 articles/year for the last 5 years. How do you keep up this level of discipline?

Producing 100 articles a year does not seem like a lot to me. I would write more, but am often pressed for time because I am a GRG — grandparent raising grandchildren. It has been a challenge to raise teenagers and maintain my writing career.

4. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

Article marketing is the key to promoting my work. I recently received an email from a reader in Australia who had visited my website and found it helpful. When I surf the Internet, I see that my articles have been translated into many languages, including Spanish, French, Japanese, German, and Arabic.

5. What’s the one piece of advice you would give newbie article marketers?

I would tell newbie article marketers to strive for quality every time. In other words, try to top yourself. To understand word flow and emphasis, I often read my articles aloud before I submit them.

6. What are your favorite EzineArticles tools and why?

Of course, I love spell check. However, another favorite tool (and it surprises me to say this) is the one that flags excessive use of a word. I didn’t realize I was doing this until I received an email about it.

7. If you could do one thing differently in regard to article marketing, what would it be?

I wish there was a way to know which publications or individuals are using my articles. So I Google myself. While this sounds egocentric, it always yields new information.

8. What kind of results have you gotten from your article marketing efforts?

I am astonished by the effectiveness of article marketing. As soon as I reached 100 articles, the number of hits increased markedly. Thanks to EzineArticles my name is all over the Internet. I have received emails from readers and inquiries from newspapers and magazines.

9. Anything else you care to share?

The beautiful thing about EzineArticles is that I can write as much as I want to, about anything I want to, as long as my mind is working. I’m just hitting my stride!

You may not have the benefits of Harriet’s education and expertise (few of us do!), but that doesn’t mean you can’t experience comparable success with your article marketing.

Here are 5 lessons from Harriet that you can put into practice today:

1. Write about what you know and are passionate about.
  2. Just write! Sometimes opportunities come from unexpected directions.
  3. Don’t make excuses for not writing articles. Everybody has demands on their time, energy and concentration.
  4. Strive for quality and read your articles aloud before you submit them.
  5. Enter your author name in search engines and use what you find to gain new information.

Now put these lessons to good use by writing a whole new crop of fresh, high-quality articles. Speaking of crops, don’t forget to make hay while the sun shines! Article review times are still less than 24 business hours, so now’s the time to get that backlog of articles written and submitted.

And leave a comment for Harriet. I’m sure she’d love to hear from you. :)

Lisa writes:

Fantastic writing advice! SO glad to see this interview today. Congrats to you Harriet for being a GRG and still finding time to write. I was raised by one of my grandmothers who inspired me to write (starting as early as my first memory) and passed away when I was young. The other grandmother also took care of me for a few years in my teens and helped me become the woman I am now. Without them, I might not be a writer today.

I especially love the answer to question 1 and your bullet list.

Great stuff!
:) Lisa

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reading the spotlight piece and for your comments. Your comment about the influence of your grandmothers touched my heart. My twin grandchildren will not understand how we have helped them survive crisis until they have teenagers of their own.

Dina writes:

Great advice. I started trying to write more quantity than quality and got a lot of articles kicked back. This was the information I needed to slow down so that I can give more quality than quantity!

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 2:30 PM

James W. Chase writes:

Good advice! Thank you for sharing.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Nickcole Byrd writes:

Harriet! This was very useful information. I agree with you about writing about life experiences. It is to me the best way to create your writing Art through life experiences.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM

What an inspiration you are! Thank you so much for sharing with us. I just began writing articles and blogs for my websites: alterrawellness.com and beahuemann.blogspot.com

Any feedback you can provide me would be most appreciated.

I also read my articles out loud and have family members read them before posting…but, alas, I still pick up an error or two days after they are out on the net. Practice makes perfect.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Hi Barb,

Thanks for reading the author spotlight and for your comment. I also pick up on errors after I have submitted an article. It is hard to see errors (a missing apostrophe, etc.) on the net. Anyway, I hope you keep writing.

Dylan Purdy writes:

Thank you for sharing Harriet, and we are all looking for the next 100 of course :)

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Dave writes:

Thanks Harriet and EzineArticles. This is a very inspirational article. GRG? I haven’t heard of that until now. Seems like a great idea to have a goup for that. Today, with our hectic schedules, grand parents and mostly grandmothers are overloaded with responsibilities beyond what is fair. Kudos

As for reading my articles before submitting them, I use this incredible technology called TTS, Text To Speech Software. You can even have several voices male and female, american and British depending on your article’s target. I even use a couple of Spanish voices. It is very useful to learn the exact phonetics when learning foreign languages.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:35 PM

brian writes:

Thank you for the inspiring article sounds like just getting down and doing it is the best way…

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Mildred writes:

Thanks, for the good advice.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Thank you so much Harriet. I loved your interview. Some wonderful advice. I feel like such a pup, posting only my fourth article later today. Really appreciate what you said about writing on any topic that you want to. That certainly opens up all kinds of doors doesn’t it?
Why do I get the feeling you’re the coolest grandma in your town? Keep up the great work. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom with all of us. Very much appreciated.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reading the spotlight piece and for your comment. I don’t know about being the coolest grandma in town, but I certainly try hard.

Peter Brissette writes:

Great story!! Very inspirational! I am looking forward to writing many more articles! Thank you!

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Gail Manishor writes:

Harriett, I too am a grandmother and actually am a great grandmother now of 2 baby boys and one more is on the way. I don’t have all your credentials and found I could write after I retired. However, I am going full steam ahead now and have written a book and am working on another while writing articles. I am no where near 100 articles yet but am starting to make an effort to write more and more. I am loving it. Thank you for your ideas and encouragement. You are my new hero.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Hi Gail,

Thank you for reading the author spotlight and for your comment. As someone who has been in the book business for decades, I can tell you persistence counts. So keep those articles coming.

Sylvia Dickens writes:

We enjoy a similar life path. I began as a clerk-typist back in the ’60s. With only a Grade 10 education, I realized I’d need to take more courses if I expected to move up. In 1984, I graduated Journalism with honors and suddenly, my life changed drastically. I became the media liaison for the Canadian Mental Health Association and then began writing in the mental health field.

Despite my 26 years’ experience as a journalist and editor, I’m shamed that as an online writer I am pitifully less productive than you.

Congrats on your success, and thank you for providing some valuable tips to your readers.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for reading the author spotlight and for your comment. Congratulations on your journalism degree and wrk for the Canadian Mental Health Association. Mental health often falls by the wayside and I think we need more articles about it.

Congratulations, Harriet! Your articles are fascinating!

I agree with you about writing. Even when we have no inspiration, no ideas and no disposition, when we start writing and writing, at a certain point, something substantial appears in the screen. Then we can select what is interesting, deleting what is not, and improve our new article. Article writing becomes very easy this way.

I also agree about reading what you have written and checking if the word flow and emphasis are adequate. I always do that, not aloud, because I can “listen” my voice reading without any sound.

I would add something else to this advice: read what your are writing from the beginning when you will give another information to your readers, to see if the way you are continuing your article fits with its first sentences. Never write something from the beginning to the end without reading what you are writing, otherwise you may forget your main purpose, or confuse your readers with a disorganized sequence.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Hi Christina,

Thank you for reading the author spotlight and for your comment. Reading an article all the way through several times is good advice. I often put an article away for a few days and then read it again. I always find ways to improve it. Good luck with your writing.

Janis Ihrig writes:

Very inspiring. Thanks for all the good information.

Janis Ihrig

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Lynn writes:

Hi Harriet,
You are an inspiration. Would like to know more about your website, please send me the link. I am about to submit my first article to EzineArticles – I’m excited.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for reading the author spotlight. My website is http://www.harriethodgson.com and I update it every six months. I had the website professionally designed to support my latest book, Writing to Recover: The Journey from Loss and Grief to a New Life. Once you start submitting articles, you will be hooked on http://www.EzineArticles.com

David Stewart writes:

You are a real inspiration. I would love to make a career out of writing articles and books.

I would ask for your advice, but I’m not sure what to ask!

I wish you all the best.
Dave Stewart

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Jim Hall writes:

As a part-time GRG, working 10 hour shifts during the week and doing internet work in between, as well as putting on sustainable farming conferences for Maui Aloha Aina Association, in fact I fly to the Big Island of Hawaii having just finished Maui’s conference. Writing articles about life around me living in Hawaii is my motivation. Getting them online is another thing altogether.
Your an inspiration!

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Hi Jim,

Thank you for reading the author spotlight. I was glad to hear from another GRG. Kudos to you for raising your grandchildren and planning conferences.

Rick Gregory writes:

Hi Harriet,

Fantastic advice from a fantastic woman. I especially enjoy hearing good writers promote quality writing despite the constraints on time and the rush to publish on the Internet.

And to be so productive while raising grandchildren gives me no excuse whatsoever to not to be writing more.

All the best to you.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Congratulations Harriet! I’m impressed that you are raising your grandchildren and find the the time to write so many articles.

Warm Regards,

Kathy Slattengren

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Tom Cincurak writes:

Thanks for the advice Harriet you are an inspiration to us all I like that tid bit always try to top yourself.
Wishing you all the Best
Tom Cincurak

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM

You are a true inspiration. Congratulations on all of the difficult work you have accomplished.

I am just getting started. I have a new blog at: sleeplessandtired.com I have published several articles on EzineArticles.com , and I will have my first book out soon.

I am filing your article in a permanent folder as inspiration during those frequent brain dead moments we all experience.

Thanks again for your inspiration,

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Harriet, you are an inspiration! As a woman (and grandmother) who is changing careers at 55 and finally deciding to give myself permission to be a writer, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your interview. I publish an online magazine called The Writer’s Eye (thewriterseye.com), in which I usually feature an article or two from EzineArticles.com on the topics of writing, art, and marketing. I’ll be sure to be following your articles for information that will be of interest to my readers. Thank you!

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Hi Amber,

Thanks for reading the author spotlight and for your comments. Congratulations on finding the gumption to change careers.

I have written several articles about writing. EzineArticles just published an article about the writer’s Platform. I’m working on a second article now and hope to submit it tomorrow. Both may be a good for for The Writer’s Eye.

I love your whole presence and what your doing to make article writing more accessible and easy for others to attempt to do the same for their businesses.

Would be interested in doing an interview for my readers and subscribers? I usually do interview via skype or phone. Please think it over and let me know if you’re interested.

best regards,

Michael Harris

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Hi Michael,

I would love to do an interview. Since I don’t have Skype yet (I may get it) phone would be the best. What date and time are you thinking of?

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your prompt reply as well. I live in Rochester, Minnesota and am on Central Time. My phone number is 507-252-5939.

Darwin writes:

Thank you so much Harriet for sharing your wisdom. I will be putting some of the lessons into practice.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Fantastic tips! Thanks so much. I help people to follow their passions and agree whole heartedly with your advice:
“Write about what you know and are passionate about.”

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Thank you, Harriet, for your advice. Actually, most of it confirmed what I already knew; but it’s good to hear a successful writer like yourself say the same thing. Also, kudos to you for accomplishing so much writing while raising grandchildren. I truly admire you.

Sandra L. Lerner

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM

denny hagel writes:

Hello Harriet,
Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I am also a grandmother raising my 2 grandchildren, ages 11 & 12 and I am also homeschooling them. I was especially struck by your statement about not making excuses! I really love writing and yet feel a shortage of time quite often…you have inspired me to let go of my excuses and just do it!
Be Blessed,
denny hagel

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Aneeta Narayan writes:

Thank you so much Harriet for inspiring many others like me and I must thank EzineArticles for introducing such a wonderful world of writers. Thanks for discussing about the tools in question number three. I too have more than fifty articles published on other sites including Ezineartilces but I still have to learn the way to make a living out of it. Thanks once again for this interview.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Dear Harriet, Congratulations on being featured in today’s Author Spotlight.
I too was raised by my grandparents to whom I will be forever grateful.
It is caring people like yourself that make this a better world.

Comment provided January 21, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Hi Kitty,

Thanks for reading the author spotlight and for your comment about being grateful for your grandparents. Our twin grandchildren will understand what we have done for them when they have teenagers of their own.

G.Thomas writes:

Thanks for the very useful reminders. I just started back into my writing activities after taking so much time away throughout the holiday season. Now I am aware of how much I always miss writing when I stop for awhile. Yes there are always so many topics at hand. When I do not have something of my own I find it useful to use some pertinent articles from the directories so that my site is at least functioning somewhat to the overall theme of self-betterment. I will look forward to reading and perhaps even publishing articles by yourself. I notice that at times last year I was diverted by the attractionl of gaining more traffic but alas quality is what means more to me anyway.

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Deborah Beecham writes:

Thank you Harriet for sharing your knowledge with us all.
I dont know where you find the time, with all that you have going on in your life, very interesting and sound advice.

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Hi Harriet,
Thank You very much for the inspiration and information! Your one piece of gold among many, for me was “Strive for quality content.”
Best Wishes,

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 4:18 AM

Samantha Leah writes:

I loved reading your interview. It was so inspiring. I get so focused on the marketing that at times I forget about the passion! Thank you for reminding me.
Best wishes,

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 5:18 AM

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for reading the author spotlight. I think all writing comes from passion and if you don’t hae it, you won’t sell it. Keep writing.

Marilyn Muir writes:

Thanks Harriet and EzineArticles for the interview and information. I read all the blogs as well. I am a GRG and have only 47 articles up so far but I’m working on it. Your accomplishments are inspiring and poked me into doing more, #48 goes up in a moment. Your sharing and your story are marvelous. My best wishes to you.

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Mark Jim O. Borbon writes:

Hi Harriet!

I am so inspired by what you do in life and as an accomplished writer. I hope God will bless me just like the way He blessed you in the field of writing.

I am excited to pursue my writing career as a freelance. I hope one day I can join any writing club or company in the U.S. or anywhere in the world.

mark jim

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 5:41 AM

Edoardo Rospo writes:

English is not my mother language, my first is Italian. I speak French, Russian and some German.
My intention is to improve my English and writing interesting articles. I understand that readers can realize that my English needs being improved.
However I believe that if we do not try continuously, there’s no chance to increase article quality.
My best regards
Edoardo Rospo

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Hi Edoardo,

Thank you for reading the author spotlight. Simple words, in any language, are the best. I encourage you to write articles in English and keep submitting them to the website.

Shirley Bass writes:

Congratulations! You are an inspiration.

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Jim writes:

Hi Harriet, WOW!! what a great article!! It has really inspired me. I opened an EzineArticles account about 3 weeks ago and I haven’t starting using it yet…do you know what never occurred to me before? that I could use another name! how stupid am I? anyway I just registered another name and from next week on I will be having the ideas and he will be doing the writing !!! at last I have got someone to work with! and it’s all because of you! thanks Harriet, regards Jim T.

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Cyra writes:

Hi Harriet,

I am inspired while reading your interview.. thank you and I hope I’ll be more productive too..

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I already have an interview scheduled on Thursday next week
Perhaps next Saturday by telephone and I could record it, if you are available
My telephone number is
If you send me your number I could call Tuesday and setup the outline for your interview
I would like to make sure that all the things you want to mention are included that way. Just let me know what is best for you, I’m pretty flexible I work from home.

Best regards,

Comment provided January 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Rosie Goodman writes:

Dear Harriet:
I just read a page “about you” on EzineArticles and was
so impressed. I truly liked your recommendations
about writing daily. Especially, “just write” So this
prompted my question.
We are all busy people & I don’t know how you
keep up with everything.

I’m an RN who has a Voice Over
web site for producers that need a Voice Talent that
understands medical terminology. Problem is, trying
to direct traffic there. Last time I attempted to do a
blog I never received any feedback & grew frustrated. My goal is to help the “patient” understand
medical terminology from a layman’s point of view.
I would welcome any suggestions from you, a woman of experience. Look forward to hearing from you, when you have one of
those “free moments”
A new friend in
Rosie g.

Comment provided January 26, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Hi Rosie,

Writing more articles will drive people to your website. If tne newspaper or local television station interviews you, give your website address. I’m speaking to a Kiwanis club in a few weeks and I put my website address on the handout. It is in a prominent place, just under the title of my talk.
Hope this helps.

Jim Hall writes:

Tomorrow everyone parts their ways to head home after a successful two week two island Body & Soil Farm Health conference.
When it comes to writing and being busy, I find my BlackBerry to be invaluable for writing on multiple subjects at once. Note books are good too, but the ability to write, save, cut, copy and paste, as well as, just emailing to yourself can really be useful to build a source of article that you ban pull together, edit and publish when the time and place is apprpriate.

Comment provided January 27, 2010 at 1:22 AM

K.Nelson writes:

Harriets advice is outstanding.

Comment provided January 28, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Nicole McGill writes:

Thank you for your informative wisdom…. Your an Angel.

Comment provided January 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Bob Taylor writes:

Wow! Thank you Harriet for inspiring me and the others who have been blessed by your life. You have served your fellow man professionally, your family lovingly and the internet writers with much encouragement.

I too am an educator, with 7 G-kids who are fortunately being rasied by their parents. We are blessed in that they all live near, and we have our special family dinner together every month. For the fun of it,
I enjoy writing about events which involve me and my G-kids. But for business I am focusing on college credit-by-examination to promote mydegreefast.com, with a plan to help people finish college fast.

So, I’ll take up the inspiration I got from you and “write on”

By the way, that is a great picture of you.

Keep up the inspiration.
Bob Taylor

Comment provided January 29, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Rosie Goodman writes:

Hello again Harriet:
You inspire me to write & inspire me to write
“you” again. You said write about what you know.
I know medicine! If I kept a blog, does one have
to write a lot each time & how many times a week?
I have trouble keeping up web sites & recording
my voice-overs each day. I wonder how I would
do the blog justice. However, you inspired me to
ask anyway, you “busy soul you”!
THANKS for inspiring us Harriet.
Rosie Goodman R.N.

Comment provided January 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Hi Rosie,

You would write blogs regularl, such as once a week. Your entries could be short, one paragraph tips if you are pressed for time.

Jose Jacobs writes:

as new to article writing you have good advise
which will take on board

Comment provided January 31, 2010 at 6:37 AM

Ella writes:

You are indeed an inspiration to all of us, Harriet! I feel privileged to know you and am so delighted that you were picked for an author spotlight.

Comment provided January 31, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Ira Mency writes:

You are a true inspiration to me.

Comment provided February 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM

jacquelyn dunn writes:

Harriet, I loved the inspiration that I got from reading your story. I try to write about things I am passionate about because it makes writing easier. Good luck to you in the future.

Comment provided February 23, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Evelyn writes:

Harriet, I absolutely love this interview. It gave me so many insights. I, too, am retired from teaching, early retirement due to health. I DO NOT like it, but am more excited now to just pursue my writing.

Thanks again. I love the interview.

Comment provided November 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Harriet Hodgson writes:

Thanks Evelyn. When you think about it, teaching gave us many skills that apply to writing. We know how to organize information, plan learning modules (now called chapters) review points, and make learning fun. I wish you all the best in your new career.

Comment provided November 9, 2010 at 8:43 AM