Article Marketing Interview with Cathy Stucker

An enhanced audio-only interview recorded at the Affiliate Summit West (#ASW10) in Las Vegas.

This year’s Affiliate Summit West was packed full of great information, insightful presentations and some of the top experts from the world of Internet marketing. One of those experts in attendance was Cathy Stucker from IdeaLady.com. As an EzineArticles Expert Author, Cathy’s distinction lies in her uncanny ability to produce articles that average over 3,600 views each!

Cathy took a few moments from the fast-paced #ASW10 Conference to talk to EzineArticles CEO and Publisher, Chris Knight, about her methods of overcoming writing obstacles and tips for successful article marketing.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

If you’re more of a reader than a listener/viewer, you can download this outline [PDF 96K] of Cathy’s interview.

The techniques that Cathy uses have proven successful for many Expert Authors. Integrate some of them in to your Article Marketing process today. Then stop back here and leave a comment to let us know how well they worked for you.

Ed Winslow writes:

I’ve been using EzineArticles with great results. Thanks

Comment provided January 29, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Paul Dazzler writes:

Wrote 1st article today. Found tips to be very useful. Thanks, Pdazzler

Comment provided January 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Janice Lawrence writes:

This is a great summary. I have been a professional writer all my life, but am new to Internet publishing and blogging. Your presentation confirms what I have learned so far.
Thanks

Comment provided January 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Great ideas on ‘how to make articles work’ from, well, the IdeaLady. Thanks for the EzineArticles team to pick the best resources from experts such as Cathy and bring the same in front of the budding authors!

Comment provided January 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Reginald Hollie writes:

Great information and very helpful. I’m kind of stuck on 10 articles completed right now. Now I will follow your advice and that is; just keep starting another article. I do have a lot to write about, I just need to write. Thanks Cathy, you’re wonderful. Blessings…

Comment provided January 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Avril Harper writes:

Thank you so much for the pdf option. I am so used these days to getting visual or audio presentation which I hate with a vengeance. Long live pdf files!

Many thanks indeed, now I can go and enjoy the interview.

Comment provided January 30, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Phil Johncock writes:

I loved the number of questions answered in a short period of time and helpful suggestions. I appreciate Cathy’s level of expertise and the visual to go with the audio! Thanks!

~Phil

Comment provided January 30, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Gordon writes:

Excellent interview, brief, informative, to the point and very helpful indeed.

Comment provided January 30, 2010 at 4:21 AM

blacksmith writes:

I appreciate Cathy’s level of expertise and the visual to go with the audio!

Comment provided January 30, 2010 at 4:59 AM

Katrina Oakley writes:

Great tips! I am just starting my freelance career! Very helpful advise! I will be following and reading more of your content!

Thanks so much!
Kat

Comment provided January 30, 2010 at 8:44 AM

R.E. Walker writes:

Thanks Cathy, I learned a lot from your audio lecture. I love it when I get the bottom line of things. Congratulations on your success. I hope to hear you in person at the next convention.
Rick Walker

Comment provided January 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Cathy, thanks for the suggestions! I’ve already used a couple of them. It’s exciting you were able to attend the Affiliate Summit West. I’ll bet you had a great time and will be writing about it. Fun! Thanks again.

Comment provided January 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Thank you, Cathy!

Ive also discovered a way to write more articles, and faster, since their quantity is so important…

My advice for new authors:

First of all look for the keywords about your topic that most people care about using free tools like Googles and Wordtracker.

Write the best title you can with these keywords, having in mind that you have to attract your readers, so your title has to incite their curiosity.

Make a summary and decide what you are going to write in this article, without writing everything, only the most important points that you will develop later.

Now, think about something else in your topic that you could write about. If you have no ideas, go to EzineArticles.com and read the most viewed and the most published articles in your field. Write about the same things the other authors wrote about, but giving your personal advice, using your knowledge, your experiences, etc. Do more research if you dont know what to write about. After reading what other people said, youll certainly start having your own ideas about this matter.

Find the keywords for a new article, make a summary, and prepare around 5 new articles this way, which you will develop later.

Once you have prepared around 5 new articles, giving them the best title you could, and making a summary about what you intend to write there, youll easily finish all them, simply completing the already determined way you want to write each one. Of course, you may change your mind and modify many things at the end, but at least you have a guide, what will also help you keep your articles around 500 words, which is the ideal size online. Youll have a map of what youll show in each article, so youll be able to calculate its size much easier.

The other advantage youll have if you prepare your articles this way is that youll have time to think and organize your points of view. Since you know that you have to develop these 5 articles, youll be all the time thinking about how you could that, what means that youll have the chance to prepare in your mind what youll actually write, before sitting down and doing so. Youll make your summary at morning for ex. and write your articles only at night, or in the next day… so you have enough time to think about them.

Write well, give real information or guidance, so that your readers may believe that you are really going to help them.

This way well help EzineArticles be always at the top, and our articles too.

My articles are the most important traffic generating method for me. They can be the same for you too, if youll take it seriously.

Comment provided January 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Jennifer writes:

Great information from an expert in the field. I remember when I broke 1,000 views on all of my articles and here is somebody who gets 3x that many views from a single article! Hope I can achieve her success some day.

Comment provided January 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Great advice Cathy. I especially like the point regarding not having to be perfect! This tended to be a roadblock I encountered when I first started out writing articles. It is far more productive and satisfying creating many good articles than stewing over one “perfect” (whatever that is) article.

I look forward to more of your tips and guidance on how to excel at article writing.

Comment provided January 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Besides the articlesquantity that is very important according to your guidance (which agrees with Chrisand his teams guidance), I think that another very interesting point you have mentioned is that we have to use different keywords.

Sometimes we stick with the same keywords, while different people use different terms, so we have to vary.

I use dictionary.com in order to find synonyms for many keywords, when I cannot think of any.

We have to be very careful with the keywords though, because all them have specific meanings online, and if well use certain keyword in a metaphoric way, we are not going to attract the readers we need.

Another mistake with the keywords is trying to attract readers “by chance”, only because well use the keywords they do when they look for other things, hoping that they will find our article by chance due to the keywords we have used. They may find our article this way, but if they are not looking for the information we are giving, they wont care about reading it, and even if they do, they wont visit our website, because they are not looking for that kind of information.

So, our keywords have to be specifically related to what we are talking about in our articles.

Comment provided February 1, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Anita writes:

Your Views are very refreshing and practical. Thank you!!

Comment provided February 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Cathy,

The joy in your voice was enough to keep me listening!

Thank you for your suggestions about perfectionism. It’s a good reminder of balance to make our articles great but not to obsess about perfect or we won’t get onto our next great piece!

Lastly, please help me to understand key words better. As a psychotherapist and author I write primarily on finding hope after loss. I want my articles to help and inspire but not bog down the reader more when they are already suffering.

Thank you so much.

Mary Jane Hurley Brant

Comment provided February 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Dear Cathy, thanks for taking time to share your proven ideas on article writing success. As a result of the tips you shared, I am energized and ready to create more informative and liberating articles to share with the world!

Best Regards.

Comment provided February 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

sasikrishna writes:

Useful advice…thanks…

Comment provided February 16, 2010 at 9:50 PM

richard swings writes:

I read your pdf-file and agree with other commentators that we should be careful about the use of keywords. I’m even convinced that one has to use a resource-box spinner so that different variations of (long tail) keywords are spread throughout the internet and so multiplying the possibility that customers, leads, buyers, … will find your webpage (which is after all the purpose of article writing and marketing). Last but not least to mention the possible banning from the Google engine because of abundant reuse of the same (long tail or short tail) keyword(s).

Comment provided July 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Agree, Cathy … better to just get an article out there rather than worry about ‘perfection’. Good enough is good enough. It’s more important to be consistent in your article marketing, so you get in the habit of writing articles.

Good tip is to have a ‘capture system’ to get the ideas that come to you when you least expect it (eg. in the supermarket) … once you get used to writing articles, you’ll get these frequently, and need a notebook or some other system to capture your ideas. A good one is to simply phone home and leave a message on your voicemail.

Comment provided August 16, 2010 at 11:05 AM