Traffic Search Terms Tool How-To

Discover the power of this easy-to-use tool!

Last week, Chris Knight shared a video called “Your Keyword Leverage Strategy” that explained how to use keywords and keyphrases to dramatically increase the performance of your articles. In this video, he talked about the EzineArticles “Traffic Search Terms Tool” and the value it brings to your article marketing efforts.

Since then, we have received many requests for more specific information on how to use this tool. It really isn’t complicated, but like anything else it can be a bit mysterious until you learn just how simple it really is.

So we put this video together to demystify the “Traffic Search Terms Tool”. It’s only 3 minutes long and will give you a clear path to making the most of this great member perk.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

If you’re more of a reader than a watcher, here’s the video in a nutshell:

• Definition of “Traffic Search Terms”: Keywords and keyphrases used by people to find your articles in the search engines.
  • Step-by-Step Instructions:
    1. Log in to your EzineArticles Member Account
    2. Click on the “Author Tools” drop-down menu and select “View my Article Reports”
    3. Click on one of your author names.
    4. This brings up a list of articles for that particular author name. Sort most views to least views by clicking “Views”
    5. Click on the number of views for one of your top-performing articles in that list
    6. Click on “Traffic Search Terms”
    7. This will bring up a list of the top keywords and keyphrases used by readers to find that article (30 for Premium Members, 5 for non-Premium Members)
    8. Note the top keyphrases and keywords used to find that particular article
    9. Click on “Download CSV” to export the list to a data file that can be used in your word processing or spreadsheet software.

• Integrate those words and phrases into the title and/or content of your next set of original high-quality articles.
  • Submit your articles.

We intend to do more quick videos like this in the future for select training needs. Leave a comment to let us know how you like the style and if there’s anything we can do to improve upon it.

Then put the wisdom you’ve gained in this video to good use today by researching, writing and submitting a great set of fresh, original articles built around your top performing keywords and keyphrases!

Abseaz writes:

I think the videos and the text summary alongside is a great way to get important information like this topic out. It provides flexibility to the viewers while also providing high-quality content. Looking forward for the next video!

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Gary Huynh writes:

I found this great feature a while ago and use it often to find those great long tail keywords.

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Adriel Yapana writes:

I definitely enjoyed watching as it breaks down what seem to be difficult tasks and makes it seem manageable when it comes to organizing keyword and keyword phrase rich articles. Excellent tip!

Adriel Yapana

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Russ writes:

Man written directions are so ambiguous it is pure Hell trying to figure them out. Video takes out ANY and ALL ambiguity. Damn you just kick yourself for not thinking of this before.

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Shawn writes:

Awesome, this newbie is very thankful for the helpful video!

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Great quick tip. I would add on thing. Sometimes we think that lower search keywords aren’t worth targeting. However, targeting a number of low search keywords funneling traffic to your website can be a great thing.

Also, some of the high search keywords will have a significant amount of traffic. It is often easier to find many keywords with lower short values and send targeted traffic to your site/service. This can result in a significant amount of traffic.

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Ralph writes:

Video only loaded until 1.45m for some reason

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Ralph,

We tried to recreate that problem on our end but everything works fine. Your comment is the only one we’ve gotten thus far about this problem, so I believe it may be on your end of the pipeline.

Try downloading the latest version of Flash or using one of the downloadable versions of the video instead.

Good luck! =)

Utibe writes:

The information is a fantastic one. This package is a must read for articles writers especially the newbies writers.
Thanks so much

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Henri writes:

This is exciting. However, I am not seeing any keywords in my account. I have tried this for old and new articles. All I get is the demo picture that wants me to become a premium member.

Comment provided November 24, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Henri,

That is very strange. I consulted with our technicians and they think it may be an issue with your browser. You may want to try logging into your account via a different browser and/or a different computer.

If that doesn’t work, please contact us back via the “Contact” link in the upper right corner of your Member interface.

Henri,

That was the old way and your browser may have cached it. We had an issue that was corrected last Friday.

Press & hold SHIFT while reloading the page (this will force your browser to load the page rather than load the cached version) and you should see the top 5 keywords/key phrases instead of the Premium paywall screen.

If that doesn’t work, do what Marc suggested: Try a different browser such as FireFox, IE, Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc.

Henri writes:

Thanks. It worked when I switched over to Internet Explorer (I use FireFox). This is good stuff and might make me buy a premium membership just to get access to this stuff. Hopefully I’ll win one through the HAHD challenge!

Yoli Team writes:

The video is good for learning purpose. Thanks for posting it.

Comment provided November 24, 2009 at 5:38 AM

It’s really very impressive information on your blog that keywords is very important to increase traffic dramatically day-by-day marketing performance…it is attracts more and more customer towards your articles in the search engines.
… Thanks for your Information…

Comment provided December 2, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Peg Kelley writes:

I get no search terms earlier than January 2010. I usually use Firefox on my Mac so when that did not work, I switched to Safari. Same results.

I do not have Internet Explorer.

Thanks for any help. Sounds like a useful tool.

Comment provided January 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Peg,

For which article?

It usually takes 30-90 days before this feature becomes valuable.

The article you submitted on Monday the 11th of January probably won’t have good data for at least 2 months, but it’s already showing 2 traffic search terms.

Your most popular article only had heavy traffic March, April and May of 2009… and if you drill into those months via the Traffic Search Terms area, you’ll be able to find the top 5 terms for each month…

I know, it’s not super intuitive yet and this is something that we expect will get a process improvement in 2010.

Peg Kelley writes:

Gotcha. I was looking in months that had no views…did not go to the monthly stats first to direct my check of the search keywords.

Thanks.

Elizabeth writes:

Thanks for all the help you provide. I really appreciate the “reading” rather the viewing. I’m on the computer after my husband has gone to bed. B

Comment provided January 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM

comprehensive and useful once again

Comment provided May 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM

SUZY writes:

Great article, but I am unable to find “Click on
Traffic Search Terms,” which would be Very useful.

Apparently you have all found this. Can someone help me out. I did find until I got to #6.

Comment provided June 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Are you doing Step 5 – Click on the number of views for one of your top-performing articles in that list?

After doing this, you will see a blue button near the top center of the page labeled “Traffic Search Terms”