Things I’ve Learned Article Template

This simple and elegant article template takes advantage of something we all have … experience.

Often, when we look back on our career, we don’t think of ourselves as knowing nearly as much as we do. If we sit back and really reflect on the years we have taken to get where we are now, we are surprised to see just how much we have been through, how many mistakes we have recovered from and just how much we know now that we didn’t know way back then.

We know ourselves to be experts in our field, but how did we get there? How long did it take to accomplish what we have in our niche?

This reflection begins a perfect article for your readers.

1. Illustrate your own path to expertise in your introduction. Include a humorous story of a mistake you made (that you found out later a lot of people in your field make) or show a turning point that helped motivate you and get you on your way.

2. Make a list. Type up a list (just for yourself to start) of all the things that you’ve learned through the years in your niche. Any axioms or truisms you can share? How about ways you’ve found to deal with challenging clients or get to the heart of a bureaucratic issue?

3. Cull the list down to the top 5 or 10 things you’ve learned.

4. Give a quick personal explanation for each one of the items on your list. You should share an anecdote or make up an example situation to better illustrate your point. Tell us how you learned this lesson…and what could have happened if you hadn’t learned it.

5. Conclude on an upbeat note. Tell your readers how much time and energy you would have saved had you known these things beforehand. Let them know how much faster they’ll get ahead if they listen to you.

You’ve learned a lot on your road to becoming an expert. Share it by putting this template to good use! Having made mistakes is never a bad thing if you’ve learned from them – and you can help someone else avoid them, prosper and continue to look to you for guidance.

Leave a comment and tell us about the experience you bring to your niche articles.

Ardell Nagle writes:

Since joining I have experience some highs and lows since writing. The low was getting a email saying my article has a problem. The highs were when it was an easy fix. Also my next high was getting noticed. Seeing how many times your articles are read. For any author who writes an article this is the ultimate high. So I have learned I am going to make a mistake or two but to keep a positive attitude and keep writing articles. Every article you write you become a better author.

Comment provided August 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Marc writes:

Ardell,

I think our most successful authors would agree that the observations you make here are the keys to their success. You’re fortunate in your early revelation; even many veteran article marketers have yet to discover this simple truth.

ntathu allen writes:

I have learnt I am as good as I believe and know myself to be – and most important of all, is to trust and be gentle with myself. As a yoga teacher I often get asked how “do you manage to be calm all the time….” Believe you me, I have three highly energetic teenage daughters – they can tell you how “uncalm” I am:) 80% of success is showing up and doing the work. Stay focused. Ntathu

Comment provided August 28, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Tanai writes:

That really helped me, thank you for taking the time to contribute.

william doyle from ireland writes:

You look great! I thought you were only a teenager yourself! Some articles never get published due to something as simple as bad grammar and spelling – just keep learning.

Take Care,
Willie

Comment provided August 28, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Smart Dad writes:

So much I could reel off about what I have learnt along the way about writing for EzineArticles one thing is that they don’t like the word “learnt” which is crazy …lol

But to be serious the disciplines in forming articles and understanding the need of the readers and relevancy between keywords and title is a great start. Then you at least start to grab a little traffic…

Comment provided August 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I love this kind of stuff, the learning process never ends, its inspiring

Comment provided August 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM

wayne curate writes:

I have learned a lot about internet business. When I started out, about six months ago, I never know how to begin. I was a total internet “fool” and now, I am writing informative contents and trying to stare others in the right marketing direction. I have learned too, that you must try to understand some of the technical stuff. For example, you should try knowing what is html. If you can make changes to a website, you can easily upload some of your own articles to your site, without the cost. The simple html coding is sufficient, title, Meta tag and headline. i learn to never give up on achieving your goal. if you find a favourable niche, you should rumble it out to the end, especially if it it aligns your ideas or passion. the internet is a good platform to outlay your ideas even if you had no ideas.

Comment provided August 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Jose Bulao writes:

Thanks for this template. Now we know better what to write and how to write it.

Comment provided August 29, 2009 at 1:49 AM

I’d agree that there is both an art and a science to writing. We may receive an idea and the inspiration, but in order for this to be conveyed in a powerful way, it needs a structure. In order for the reader to be taken on a journey it must flow forwards, rather than to be a rambling monologue.

Comment provided August 29, 2009 at 3:01 AM

ksrpaniraj writes:

I have learned a lot with EzineArticles. thanks a lot

Comment provided August 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM

Dixie Blakely writes:

I am new and know nothing about writing articles! The very thought scares me to death. However, I am going to stick it out and pray I can learn how to be a good article writer. My cup is over flowing with “how to”. If I can just learn one thing that works for me I will be singing glory glory!

Comment provided August 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Marc writes:

Dixie,

The best advice I can give a new author is simply to write for the sake of building your article inventory, your confidence and your skill set. The easiest way to start is to use article templates like this: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/category/article-templates

Lalitha Brahma writes:

Excellent article! A very good strategy for someone with writers block to write original articles without any apprehension. Thanks

Comment provided August 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Mary Morris writes:

One thing that works for me is a fabulous title [followed by an article that meets the readers expectations]. One article I wrote has received over 7,200 views in less than 6 months. So, first off, come up with a title that intrigues your readers. I love EzineArticles.com

Comment provided August 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Len Foster writes:

I believe it pays to have knowledge of the subject you are writing about in the first place otherwise you won’t use the language that people recognise. Once you do you become “one of us” so to speak.

Having worked in construction management and with property developers for over 30 years I have a wealth of experience of the time management difficulties people in those industries experience which hopefully I can convey in my articles

Comment provided August 31, 2009 at 6:47 AM

Gerry Faehrmann writes:

Happy Fathers Day (at least is in Aussie land) to all the Dads out there!!

Comment provided September 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM

James writes:

I like this post. It provides the perfect template with good suggestions on sharing your experiences with the “world”.

Comment provided September 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Jeffrey Martin writes:

Thanks Christopher for such a well written article. I am very new to Article marketing and Article writing. This has been very informative.
I will immediately begin to write a few articles using your advice.
Thank you so much!
Jeffrey Martin

Comment provided September 15, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Jared P Little writes:

Format and structor is always good. Tips like this are real time savers. I like this format a lot. Thankyou.

Comment provided September 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM

That really helped me, thank you for taking the time to contribute

Comment provided May 10, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Kelly Frank writes:

I have not written my first article and I guess it is fear. Your article had some really good information that I hope will get me on the track of where to begin. I know I can do it but I needed some guidance and you gave me that. Now I need to try it. Thanks for taking out some of the fear factor.

Comment provided July 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM

ntathu writes:

Bless you Kelly…its great you can acknowledge your fear….you will find that the more you write, the easier it becomes to face your fear….writer’s block is the “blessing” all authors have to overcome. A tip that works for me is to spend the first few minutes of writing time, just making marks/doddling on a piece of paper and then slowly allowing myself to write a few words on my topic….Please let me know when you write you first article..I look fwd to reading it.

Comment provided July 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM

rüya tabirleri writes:

Comment provided July 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Zack writes:

What I have found is that I write about what I like or am interested in. It flows from there. I put it in the proper format, and then it just happens. Its an organic process that is always changing.

Comment provided May 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM