Turn “Someday” Into “Today”

“If writing seems hard, it’s because it is hard. It’s one of the hardest things people do.” –William Zinsser

Are you one of those marketing people who has yet to take the plunge into article marketing? Or were you once an effective article marketer who’s now fallen off the wagon? Do you keep saying you’ll begin writing and submitting articles to EzineArticles.com “someday”, yet someday never comes?

If so, it’s time to face reality. You’re stuck. Fortunately, today’s post is all about giving you that proverbial kick in the shorts you need to get yourself unstuck.

(7) Sure-Fire Ways to Get Unstuck and Turn “Someday” Into “Today”:

1. Have a goal – know what you want to deliver before you write. This will help you organize your thoughts.
  2. Use our article templates to help you begin.
  3. Pre-write a few titles based on ideas you have. This way, you won’t lose your ideas. You can always finish the article another day. This allows you to think about what you want to deliver. You may shock yourself on what you conjure up in that day or two. Remember, you can save your draft articles.
  4. Go with your gut. If you think your market wants to hear about it, then deliver it. You may lose potential opportunities by allowing someone else to nab it first.
  5. Set a timeline for your research and writing. Know when to stop researching and when to start writing. Forcing yourself to develop this habit is essential and will make your writing less of a chore, and more of a routine.
  6. Enjoy what you are writing about. If you don’t, your writing will reflect that.
  7. Lower your standards. (WHAT?!) This means that your article doesn’t have to be a masterpiece! Don’t worry about perfection.

There’s no cure for procrastination. Ultimately, the best thing you can do to turn “someday” into “today” is to find some way to begin writing and do it today!

If you have other ways of getting unstuck, please leave a comment and share your thoughts with the rest of the EzineArticles community.

MaryJo Wagner writes:

Writing is a habit. Write everyday–sales letter, blog post, article, something. When you write everyday, it becomes easier.

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Cathy Stucker writes:

I created a holiday I named “Someday” in honor of all of the things people say they are going to “Someday.” Someday is usually a codeword for never. “Someday I am going to: write a book, start my own business, learn Spanish, clean out the garage, travel to India, start exercising….”

Although the holiday is Sept. 15th, the point is really that Someday can be ANY day.

Just take action. Now is always better than later. This post is a great reminder of that. So get writing!

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I always hated writing before because I did it wrong. Just write what comes into your mind and do not stop for editing or formatting what you wrote. Write the whole article in one shot, don’t even read what you have wrote before. Write like you talk to a person. After you are finished writing, start editing. You will see this way you are much faster and writing becomes much easier.

Gunter

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 9:39 AM

SK WONG writes:

Precisely! For me, it was “may be I should take a rest TODAY and not Someday”. That TODAY turn out to be moredays that I expected

I just come a across a Korean proverb when I decided early this week that I should start writing again. It says.” Put off for one day, and ten days will pass.” It not only ten days, it almost ten months, oh my! :(

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Jeff Herring writes:

I love Cathy Stucker’s “Someday” holiday – nice job Cathy!

Another way to tackle “someday” challenge is to take a look at your calendar – on mine I notice there is Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and then it goes around again.

I also notice there is no Someday…

So do it TODAY!

Jeff

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Dave Kendall writes:

Pick a letter of the alphabet and write down twenty words that start with that letter. If you don’t get any ideas, repeat the process with a different letters. You will
eventually generate ideas.
Then just follow the advice of Gunter Eibl above.

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Zack Lim writes:

Thank you for the kindly reminder.

“Someday” is surely one of the worse day that can happen to people.

Time to take action TODAY :)

Zack

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I’d like to agree with Penny here. I believe article marketers and article authors should set goals. I do.

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Serenity now!

Comment provided July 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Kevin Dervin writes:

Start with brainstorming. Great brainstorming isn’t judging the ideas or trying to figure out what the article will actually say. It’s just cranking out a bunch of possiblities.

* Write down 10 questions you get asked by clients over and over again

* Write down 5 questions you get asked by prospects over and over again

* Write down 3 things you wish every one of your customers would do because it make a difference in their current situation

* Write down 4 books everyone in your industry should know about and read.

The number above aren’t important. It’s just about filling up a sheet of paper with ideas you could write about.

Another idea for just getting started (TODAY). Find a partner who you can just talk through any given idea with and help you take notes. Most of the writing will be done by the time you’re done discussing and writing notes.

I also agreee with MaryJo’s comment above. It’s sort of like working out. Even just a little bit everyday and you’ll get stronger and stronger.

TODAY is the DAY. So go get it!

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Chris writes:

I never thought I could write but I desperately wanted to publish an article on E-Zine. I went to the library for two weeks straight and after several rejections, I got 2 published! You CAN do it!

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Cheltenham writes:

It is hard to know where to start when writing sometimes. I like the idea of sitting down and writing some titles first, then coming back and picking one I fancy writing about.

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Traplift writes:

Correct Grammar writing is always hard for me. hahaha!

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 3:37 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

I believe writing and having articles published has made my business what it is today.

Just do it… It get easier with time.

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 9:25 AM