Make Your Writing New Again

A trio of cures for that feeling of article deja vous

Article writing can be tough. Sometimes it feels like the words just won’t come – or like you’ve written on your topic a hundred times before.

Before you write an article that’s just a rehash of something you submitted last week… or is just plain bad, stop writing for a moment (but just a moment) and consider these (3) tips for making your old topic new again:

1. Face Your Topic with Fresh Eyes – Try and think of yourself as a new reader looking for first time information on your topic of expertise. What have you not covered in your articles yet? Is there a question or issue on which you could write more specifically?
  2. What Don’t You Know About Your Niche Yet? – Is there a piece of your pie that you aren’t as sure of yet? Or perhaps an area you’ve been avoiding because you’ve been busy writing on the other ones? Take this time to research a new area better – and become an expert there too – and then tell us all about it!
  3. Write About Something Else – Anything else. EzineArticles has a lot of niche categories. Take a break from your usual area. If you usually write about real estate, but you are also a championship dog trainer (and have a separate dog trainer website/business/personal focus) – write about dog training for a while. Expand your portfolio a bit – even if it’s just to stretch your writing legs. And who knows, some of the best businesses derived from passionate hobbies.

Keep your writing consistent by writing a lot, but also editing. Ask yourself if your article is the kind of article you would read on your topic before submitting it. Building a reputation as an Expert Author is about quality and quantity. Keeping your standards high will keep your visitors coming back for more.

Put these tips to good use today and then leave a comment to let us know how it worked for you.

These are very good, and you should perhaps also take a gander at what other folks are writing in your category, this way you can differentiate yourself, and keep it unique in your niche.

Speaking of which, with the number of authors we have here, boy I’d sure like to see the categories expand to the top 15 instead of the top 10. Because, as an article reader, I sure like to find out about some of the new authors in the various niches, sometimes it takes way to long for them to get to the top ten, and that means it takes me a lot longer to discover them.

Why not help everyone out here? Why not expand the categories here to the top 15?

Oh, great tele-seminar by the way!

Comment provided July 2, 2009 at 8:39 AM

It’s difficult to come up with a fresh idea when you have written about the same thing over and over again.

One tip that helps is to subscribe to Google Alerts for free and just watch the news that come in on your favorite topic. This is an endless stream of stories – and ideas!

Comment provided July 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Geoff writes:

Sometimes something comes up in the news, which can prompt me to write an article, perhaps about the economy for example.

As I have a number of sites and blogs I tend to write about quite a few different subjects anyway.

Comment provided July 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Staysure writes:

Regarding point number 2 – What don’t you know about your niche yet, you could try getting extremely specific about something as well. Try to see how detailed you can get about something in your niche that you did or didn’t already know about. It’s a good excercise in itself and will keep you interested and who knows, you mayalso be the first to write about a particular topic.

Comment provided July 2, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Patti McMann writes:

Great tips! I write about many different things so that I don’t get bored. I enjoy different subjects. I get ideas for articles by looking around me, watching what’s going on, and talking to people. Some of my articles are the experiences of others that have a lot of value for my readers.

Comment provided July 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Willox Perez writes:

Awesome tips! definitely it does get to the point that you are saying the same thing. But in all honesty there is always another angle of approach to the same concept :)

The key is to let go and empty your mind, be formless like water and just let the writing flow!

thanks again guys awesome tele-seminar !

Comment provided July 4, 2009 at 1:49 AM

The Top authors by article quantity have been expanded from top 10 to top 15:

Comment provided July 7, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Wow, thank you, this makes it so much easier for me to find all the great new authors in specific niches. It sure helps me learn more perspectives and information. I really appreciate it and I bet those authors that are in the top 15 but not the top ten, will now find renewed interest and reason to move up the list.

Comment provided July 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Sonny Dinger writes:

HI Chris,
ya know, I’m just realizing EzineArticles are not just advertising,
thank you guys for all those helpful comments, I guess I’m
sounding very green and such a novis, well I am, but I love to
read and I love to write,and it seems it is just hard to get
started until I actually start, well, this week , Chris , I will
write some articles and post in EzineArticles, thanks again,
I am enjoying this more as I’m learning more, and thanks for the
change for the 10 to 15 authors,also

Comment provided July 14, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Eddy writes:

husft…those are great tips, but to tell you the truth that I absolutely don’t have much time to relax while i’m stuck in ideas, I only have a few times after I done my daily work at office at 5 o’clock. I’ve beaten up when I’m starting to write new article. I think to write one in a tired conditioin isn’t evective resulting a good one. So do you have any tips for someone like me who done two jobs at once in a day?

Comment provided November 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I’d recommend trying to do your writing BEFORE your two jobs begin and not after.

You’ve already identified that writing when you’re exhausted is probably not a good thing and I’d agree. :)