Invalid URL/Link Detection

Discover how to easily fix your articles’ broken links.

Every article you submit to EzineArticles gets a minimum of 2 human editor reviews. These reviews ensure that your article follows our Editorial Guidelines, offers valuable content and provides a positive user experience.

During these reviews, we also ensure that all links offer that same positive user experience. In other words, we make sure they work!

We know that the Internet is constantly changing. Links that worked when the article was initially approved may become “broken” or no longer lead to a functioning website. So we perform random checks on links and report any invalid links to you.

How does invalid link detection system work? [Download Chart (PDF / 120KB)]

• Day 1: We discover your article’s invalid link and mark it for further testing.
  • Day 3: The link is tested again. If it’s invalid we mark it for another check.
  • Day 5: The link is tested again. If it’s still invalid, we notify you via email using your email address on file.

The next time you login to your EzineArticles account you will be presented with an option to go directly to the Article Diagnostic Center [learn more]. Here you will see a list of the invalid URL(s) by article title. From this list, you’ll be able to edit, remove or re-validate the invalid link(s).

In the Article Diagnostic Center

1. Click on the invalid URL to determine whether or not the link is working properly.
  2. If the link IS working, click “Report as valid”. The text “URL working?” will change to “Reported and in review” until our editors can verify that the link is valid.
  3. If the link is NOT working, click to edit the link directly in the article. Once the link is fixed by you, it will be removed from the invalid link database and no further action is required.

If you choose to ignore any links that generate a 404 (Page not found) or 403 (Forbidden) error code, we will automatically unlink it on Day 35 (30 days from initial notification) and send you an email explaining what we have done.

Creating a positive user experience is vital for the success of your article marketing campaign. Review your links frequently and repair any invalid links immediately to insure that your readers don’t go someplace you don’t want them to go

Please leave a comment if you have any questions.

Denise writes:

[Download Chart (PDF)] is giving me an error message

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Hello,

This is such a wonderful service! Who else would notify an author that a link was broken? Just one more benefit of submitting my articles to you. Thank you so much!

Kathryn Merrow

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Would it be possible if error links could be detected before sumission of articles?

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Donna Watkins writes:

I got an e-mail about broken links but when I went to article diagnostic, there was nothing there. It said I had 0 broken links. I’m a little confused and not sure what to do now. Thanks, Donna Watkins

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I think article evaluation takes faster now here in ezine. I always post timeshare-related posts here.

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Pablo writes:

I’ve got a message of ‘invalid URL/link detection so I went to your Diagnostic Center and here’s what it says:

Summary
We have detected 0 links (0 unique) in 0 articles that may need your attention.

No Problems Found
Your diagnostic center is clear. Return here to check for problems in your articles.

I don’t know what should I do….

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Beate Ortman writes:

I just received mail from you about an invalid link. When I checked it on your article diagnostic page, it showed 0 broken links. Why did I get this mail? What do I need to do?
Beate Ortman

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM

All,

We do checks on every article submitted in our editorial reviews. All articles (and their links) must pass through (2) human editor reviews before they are approved. If your link is not working, your article will not be approved.

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Simmar Kumar writes:

Hi,

I have a very serious issue regarding your new link checker service. Its good to have, but my site link is shown as a broken or dead link. In reality my site is working 24*7. I got my following article approved with dead link to my site:

This article was approved on 3/26/2010 and was showing broken links. How come my website link is shown as an inactive link in my latest article? As per your broken link policy I haven’t received any mail regarding this.

Till now I have updated my site links twice and it get approval with dead links!!!

Please let me know why EzineArticles is finding my website as a dead link?

Regards

Simmar,

I have addressed your issue privately.

Geoff writes:

I think it`s a great part of the service, thanks. It does me no favours to have broken links (fortunately I`ve never had any in my time here), but I`d much rather know about them than not.

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Pablo and Donna Watkins,

I apologize for the confusion here but we have implemented a new accurate system today. If you have received an email in the past few days notifying you that you have invalid links and your Diagnostic Center says that you don’t, you can disregard the email as your Diagnostic Center is accurate.

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Carol Bentley writes:

As broken links can damage your reputation by disappointing the reader I think this is a truly valuable service.

Thanks for helping us to keep our reader’s experience top class.

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Matthew writes:

Great job once again. This is some of the best information I have ever seen on a free article submission site!

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Lizzie writes:

Hello
I have received an invalid url email tonight. I have been to the Diagnostic Centre, says all is ok and no problems, checked link myself – fine – so can only assume I am in the same boat as Pablo and Donna?? Thanks

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Alex writes:

Hi Penny,

What a wonderful service! And, thanks so much for your communications here! FYI: I got an email about an invalid link at 10:54AM today, but the Diagnostic Center says 0 invalid. It is great to know the Diagnostic Center is correct, but thought you might want to to that inaccurate emails are still being sent.

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Alex,

Yes, we are aware. You can disregard that email. This new system started today.

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Ken Wallin writes:

I have closed my website. I want to delete the URL from my authors information. How do I do that without having to remove all my articles from live status?

Thanks. The links will work, but lead to an error page as the website they lead to has been closed down.

Ken

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Brain Injury writes:

i just got this email. really broken link is very important issue . Visitor must be given the genuine refferal . I am happy that yours system is constantly checking broken links

Comment provided July 16, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Great you have human review of the links as well. I thought it is “just” automatic. I guess you are also checking the quality of the landing page?

Gunter

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Thank you. I believe it, but it is difficult to believe how helpful you folks at EzineArticles are. Please keep up the great work.

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 5:13 AM

Ken Wallin,

This cannot be done without removing your articles from live status. Each article will need to be changed. It will be better to do this than to provide the negative experience that your readers are getting with a site that is down.

Gunter Eibl,

Yes we do check landing page quality as part of our article review. Here are some more great tips: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2008/05/landing-page-tips.html

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Sonny Dinger writes:

HI,CHRIS,
I ‘M NEW AT THIS ,BUT I ALWAYS TEST MY LINKS BEFORE
I SEND THEM ON THEIR WAY, TOO MANY THINGS HAPPEN
ONLINE TO DISRUPT THE TRAVEL OF YOUR WORK, IT IS AMAZING
THE SPEED OF THE INTERNET AS IT IS, THANK YOU FOR
LETTING ME STEP IN HERE,
SONNY

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Sounds like a lot of work, but this is a good thing.

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Honey Krumholz writes:

I was informed of some invalid links by email but when i went to the diagnostic center, there were none.

Please review my articles and let me knwo if there are any invalid links.

honey

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Honey Krumholz,

You don’t have any invalid links. You’re good to go :)

All,

If you find that you received an email prior to yesterday that claims you have invalid links and you don’t, disregard the email.

Some changes were made on this yesterday and unfortunately some of the emails that were sent prior to that change, may be inaccurate. You can trust your Article Diagnostic Center to provide accurate results.

Comment provided July 17, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Lydia Chernoff writes:

I received an “Invalid URL/Link Detection” notice on my article. When I checked it in preview mode, I found it works. I believe I followed all the criteria. Please help me understand what my next step is to fix this.

Thanks so much,

Lydia

Comment provided July 19, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Lydia,

There is nothing to do. You did nothing wrong.

All,

Please read/scan this entire thread before posting future comments. Chances are high we’ve already covered the issue you’re commenting about.

Comment provided July 20, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Gunter,

YES, we do both automatic AND human review of EVERY single landing page.

Too many submissions have come from members who just want to SELL SELL SELL before they have EARNED EARNED EARNED the right to have a relationship with their own ideal client.

Comment provided July 20, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Can we have a system in which we can simply check agree, and the dead link will be removed rather that going through the entire editing procedure. With 17,000 articles, I had 26 dead links, and well, that took a while this morning.

Comment provided July 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Lance,

That’s how the new system works… If you ignore all of the automated requests of our system of you to fix them, on day 35…they are unlinked and you’ll no longer get dead link notifications.

In addition to making them inactive links, if they were anchored text links, we insert (http:// ) URL so that our visitors can see which URL was originally linked up when the article was originally accepted

Comment provided July 20, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Ok, then if I understand you correctly, the article will remain, but the links will “unlink” right, did I understand you correctly there? If so, this would save us all time.

Comment provided July 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Lance,

Your understanding is correct.

Comment provided July 20, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Mack writes:

thank you very much! Ms. Penny, Managing Editor

It is very good in EzineArticles, it notify invalid links.

Comment provided July 20, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Jo-Ellen writes:

I received a notice of an invalid URL in an article that I submitted. When I logged it, I never got the interface described above. I did, howerver, go to my article and check the URL, which seemed to work. My going in and editing resulted in a resubmission….am I to assume things are on track? That was on the 16th and I haven’t hear anything one way or another yet, not even that the new submission was received.

Comment provided July 21, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Jo,

Everything is fine.

We had over 7000 members edit and fix their dead links yesterday and over 1500 extra emails in to our member support center. That puts us a full week to 9 days behind.

Comment provided July 21, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Lisa Angelettie writes:

This is a great tool and am personally glad you’ve added it to your system of checks and balances. I changed the link structure of one of my sites and it’s good to know if I missed something when fixing the links in some of my older articles. Keep up the amazing work!

Comment provided July 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Don & Barbara writes:

We are new to this part of the business and we don’t know how to get on to an e zine nor do we know how much it costs to use your service. Could you please email us some detailed instructions? We do have a product recognized by VA and listed in the PDR
Don & Barb

Comment provided August 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Don,

Sign up for a FREE basic level membership and submit your first 10 articles:

Want free training? Sign up for our sequenced email ecourse at: http://EzineArticles.com/training/

Comment provided August 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Alla writes:

I agree and support the way EzineArticles handles broken links by notifying the authors. Great job!

Comment provided August 19, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Outsource SEO writes:

Do redirects count as invalid URL’s?

Comment provided April 5, 2010 at 6:49 AM

A redirect is not an invalid URL unless it does not redirect to a valid web page.

Make sure your redirects or rewrite is a 301 (preferred) or 302.

Eric J Smith writes:

My links are not broken for me.
My links are not broken according to my Website host.
My links work fine according to friends in Malaysia, UK and California.

But, 2 in every 3 of my articles are rejected due to broken links.

As at today, the system won’t let me submit articles stating links are broken.

I appreciate the service and do not want to sound unappreciative but this is getting VERY frustrating.

How do i fix it if there is nothing broken ?

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Chetan Mahore writes:

Is EzineArticles not allow .tv domain extension links in resource. My article is declined saying as ‘Invalid/broken link’ but here the link working fine.

Comment provided October 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Hi Chetan,

I see you have been in contact with our Member Support Team regarding the issue. They will be the best avenue to discuss any issues with your articles or your links.

~Vanessa