“Nothing is ever as easy as it first appears.” -Murphy
Last week we introduced our new approach to broken link detection and began notifying members if we found broken links in any of your existing articles.
The response from our members was huge… and much greater than we had anticipated. Since then we have been working diligently to address this overwhelming response.
I’d like to share some of the challenges that have been created and help you better understand what will be happening in the next few days.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly…
- The email we sent to members stated that we would be unlinking your links in 48 hours if no action was taken. This is incorrect and we apologize for the error. We will recheck and then unlink your dead link in 35 days (but would like you to fix it within the next 48 hours).
- In the past 48 hours we have received over 10,000 article re-submissions with your corrections. Wow! We had no idea our members were that fast!
- We’ve received over 2,000 emails to our Member Support Team providing us with a heads up. This is great! It shows that a good user experience is important to all of us!
- When you fix a dead link by editing your article…your article will be re-reviewed with today’s standard of article review and not the standard that was used on the original date your article was first accepted. Sorry, we don’t grandfather any article which means any article edited must pass today’s standards (that are always just a slight bit higher than previous years standards).
- When you delete an article you will notice that your links will still show as being invalid in your Article Diagnostic Center. We are aware of this and are working on a resolution.
- We sent out 2 emails to every member with a confirmed dead link – one went to your email address on file and the other was sent to your EzineArticles Member’s Inbox. These emails were identical. You can disregard one email if you have already addressed the broken link(s).
- If your Article Diagnostic Center shows no links to be invalid, you can trust that this is correct!
In addition, we’ve had to create a series of new internal tools to help our team support you.
All of this has, unfortunately, put us into a backlog both in Member Support and article approvals. We will be working on this diligently and our editors are dedicated to investing the overtime necessary to get us back to normal approval times.
Our goals are to make the invalid URL/link Article Diagnostic System:
- More user-friendly & predictable
- Bullet-proof accurate (that a dead link is in fact dead/invalid)
- Increased speed on the review process
- Increased member support response speed & accuracy
We appreciate your patience, feedback and attention.