Jump start your writing and keep your readers “in the know” by identifying and writing about trends in your niche.
So, you feel like you’ve written everything there is to write on your niche? Let’s say you’re an expert on cars. You know everything there is to know about every car from the Model T to the Toyota Prius. You can tell anyone what is wrong with their car, just from listening to it.
But you want to expand your writing repertoire beyond just writing about repairs. This is where finding and writing about industry trends comes in.
In order to identify trends in your niche, you can’t just write what you know – you have to find out what other people know. What are other blogs and online magazines writing about? What’s popular in your industry? Going green? Families? Has a big automaker just come out with a new fuel cell car? If you write about travel, are there new ecologically-sound vacations families can take?
An Industry Trend Article in (9) Easy Steps:
- Do a search for news in your niche. Find out who the breaking news leaders are for your area and start bookmarking them and checking them daily.
- Identify the trends in your niche through the news and any other sources (associations and the like) that are pertinent.
- Write about the trend, starting with a great headline. “Are Rodent-Powered Cars the Wave of the Future?”
- In your introductory paragraph, you should describe the trend briefly, including from where you got your information: “A study reported in Science News Daily found that rodent droppings are high in hydrogen-sulfides, a potential source of the raw hydrogen required in fuel cells.”
- Provide examples of the trend for your reader to draw on.
- If the trend is for something the reader can take advantage of, like travel or food, give resources as to how the reader can participate. A list of appropriate web sites, books or other sources is a great way to do this concisely.
- Analyze the trend for your reader. One of the best ways to develop your readership and solidify your reputation as an expert is to expertly analyze the information you have found. Give your readers not just the information, but help them use it. Don’t just write about why the fuel-cell-powered car is great – tell them how many kids they can get into it, how long a ride they will get out of it and whether or not you think it’s a good deal for the money.
- Your conclusion should include a quick summary of the trend and a clue as to where you think this trend is going.
- That’s not the end of it. Keep up on the trend you just wrote about. Write follow-up articles.
By using this template, you should be able to write at least one traffic-generating article per week on trends in your niche. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to find and create these articles once you get the hang of identifying and analyzing trends.
Now put it to good use by making a trend article part of the next set you submit. Then leave us a comment to let us know how it worked out for you!