Why Accounts Get Suspended

Make sure this doesn’t happen to your account:

We would love to think that every single one of our Expert Authors has only the best of intentions when using our services. Unfortunately, with over (175,000) members there is a statistical certainty that at least a few will have less-than-honorable intentions.

In that spirit, I’d like to share with you the Top (10) Reasons Why Accounts Get Suspended:

1. An author continually resubmits rejected articles with few or no changes made to them. Better to ask if you don’t understand why an article is not being accepted.

2. The author’s articles contain more negative or hate-related content than we will accept.
  3. If we feel the member is trying to game our systems or using EzineArticles as a vehicle to scam others.
  4. The member has an invalid author name. The author name must comply with our author name guidelines which are posted in our Editorial Guidelines (Section 1.c)
  5. If we suspect you submitted articles that you do not own 100% of the exclusive rights to. We also do not accept PLR (Private Label Rights) articles, derivative or rewritten/rehashed works of others.
  6. If the articles or URL’s don’t provide any value to the reader and over-promote. Articles need to be of quality that others will benefit from.
  7. A member abuses our article review process by submitting content that is against our Editorial Guidelines or Author TOS (Terms of Service).
  8. Email bouncing. If the member’s email is invalid and consistently bounces back as undeliverable.
  9. If a member has more than one account. Only one account per human is allowed. We consider members who have multiple accounts to be potentially trying to game the system in an attempt to stop us from creating a history profile on their account actions.
  10. Public or private enemy behavior: If you publicly or privately are rude, violent, threatening or generally make it clear that you are not friendly with your actions… we may suspend, terminate or ban your account. Better to be professional with us, even if we made a mistake because we will research it and we do care about making problems right. Unfortunately, there are times when we can’t please everyone…no matter what we do.

Of course we’d prefer to never have to suspend an account… especially yours. Understanding and avoiding the (10) reasons above can help prevent you from having your account suspended.

If it does happen, don’t panic. Most problems can be easily resolved through Member Support and your account may be reinstated once that process is complete.

We are flooded daily with hundreds (sometimes more than 1000 incoming emails to our Member Support team) and it may take us 3-10 days to respond (even though our internal response targets are next business day). If you are good intentioned, there’s a very high chance that we’re not ignoring you and are just backed up. Give the process some time to work itself out.

One complaint we hear is that our newly suspended members wished that we’d notify them when their account is suspended. Unfortunately, most do not handle rejection very well and go immediately public with their unhappiness with us… while those who don’t have good intentions are usually not surprised when their account becomes suspended/terminated or banned.

Zack Lim writes:

Hi Penny,

Thank you for sharing this list.

I have printed it and put it besides my computer.

It will always serves as a good reminder the 10 things that all authors should not do :)

Zack

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I am seeing a ton of what I believe to be Artificially Intelligent derivative work of the same author’s work. Are you allowing this? The articles look very much re-written, re-arranged over and over again. Some of those I expect doing this are also selling software to help others do it.

I am personally contacted at least once per month to buy such software, so I know others actually are and using it here.

I have noted that a rejected article “question” takes sometimes a week to get and answer, and the answers are vague as well, making it difficult to know how to change the article. And it seems a second review of a re-submitted/rejected article is scrutinized even more closely than the first time, evne when the proper changes were made, another requirement (rejection reason) pops up, that was not originally stated.

All this makes it really difficult to figure out, along with the arbitrariness of the rejections.

It seems that there are thousands of accounts here with author’s who do not actually exist as a “real person” and yes, I am certain they are gaming the system. Further, I wonder if you should not make it a requirement of the platinum authors to include a picture. Not just a name, you have no way to prove it. And anyone can get 5-free email accounts at hotmail, yahoo, gmail under any silly anonymity name they can think up.

Those are my original thoughts on this topic, I have quite a few more, but really would like to here what everyone else says.

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Bob Winter writes:

For those new to this service, if your account is suspended, be patient. There is a learning curve. These guys are fair and will get back with you in time. They are backlogged and is why you may think they are ignoring you. They are not. Learn and follow the guidelines and you will be fine. The fact they vet all articles for originality is comforting to authentic authors.

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Penny, this is great information. EzineArticles is such a respected source of info on the web – it would pay all prospective authors to follow these simple guidelines.

I use other authors work on some of my sites, and it’s great to know that MOST of your content is NOT rehashed junk.

Thank you for maintaining such high standards!

Ken

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Dr.Phil Speer writes:

As an “expert author,” was this reminder referencing Expert Authors sent to remind us of possible suspension because of something of which we are not aware?

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM

This is very helpful and confirms the integrity of EzineArticles.

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 10:24 AM

One thing everyone should be aware of is if any social online network deletes someone or a blog company deletes an account, the individuals go berserk, and they want revenge, and they will do whatever it takes for as long as it takes to get that revenge. I read an interesting research paper on this subject.

So, this is one of the pitfalls of leadership online, and the damage one person can do to a company online in a year or two is unbelievable. I’ve seen it and even experienced it when discharging problematic folks from our groups, forums, think tank, (very small) social blog network. The amount of trash talk and condemnation gives too much power to the individual in that case.

It happens to countries too that try to censorship bloggers. Large corporations that do billions of dollars have watched years of brand name building and value, be degraded in short periods of time.

Bob is write to advise people to hold off on their attacks if their account is suspended, but “someone who has been disrespected” or feels they have most often seeks revenge. It is a real issue. Even if an author is at fault. It’s most likely best to go heavy handed on new accounts, than to delete substantial accounts from long-standing authors, because they will feel that they have lost more (time and effort). Many blogging networks where a blogger had 100 plus posts, but was for some reason deleted, due to error or a mistake in the TOC of the network, would certainly be upset and would act like a virtual unibomber, going around the internet writing all sorts of mean-spirited attacks.

And you might think you are taking the high road here at EzineArticles and be willing to take the brand name hit, but it really hurts us authors when someone goes around trashing EzineArticles, so we too have a lot at stake, so when you delete someone’s account, I sure hope you will do it correctly, with warnings and such. this is the first thing they teach Human Resource professionals, because it really helps prevent workplace violence when someone is laid off or fired for cause, no one wants them to come back and end up on the news. There is a human toll and there is a loss of respect for authors when EZ articles is trashed online. We all lose too. Please consider all this, we are talking about human behavior online, which is already problematic.

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM

On the idea that Platinum authors should be required to have a photo or image… It’s a great idea; yet we know there are some high quality authors who either feel ugly inside or they don’t want to lead their brand with their own photo…whatever their reason; We’ve come to respect an authors decision to not include their photo.

In other areas of our services however, where we required a photo in their Twitter account before we’ll tweet on their behalves… or on our home page, only members with a photo uploaded ever get to appear on the home page in the author spotlight.

We do recognize the suspend vs. termination vs. ban decision is greatly different with a newbie member vs. an existing member who has significant time invested.

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Chris,

Wow, I feel kind of stupid with regards to the high-quality, high-output platinum authors who feel that their pictures is inadequate, they are un-photogenic, or depressed about their human looks. I had not considered that. Good point.

Oh, so you do have a:

Suspended
Terminated
Completely Banned During this Lifetime

That makes sense too! It seems if someone had done something pretty unexcusable, that you have no choice. Suspended accounts, such as “no more posting” seems not as bad, but stops abuse in it’s tracks without having the author go postal on the brand name.

There is no easy way to solve this problem, but letting people know as you have here of what’s expected goes a long way to prevention in the first place, thus your team and Penny should be commended. The reality is that no matter what you do, there will be hurt feelings. I’ve sure seen some very mean spirited things happen online over terminations, and on the other side with dictatorship blog networks and forums.

Someone famous once said; “Can’t we just all get along?”

Sometimes I wonder if the answer is “No” because humans like all the sound and fury, it often seems to be innate. Of course, once everyone understands that, at least we can all laugh about it and smile. Then cut ties and/or move on if need be. I can tell you this, I do not envy your job or Penny’s mission with 175,000 authors, each with that creative mindset, it’s a lot of work, and if I may say, actually amazing what you have accomplished here in the last 5-years, it’s truly been like a rocket ship, I am so happy to be a part of it.

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Donna writes:

Thank you for sending me the 10 reasons accounts get suspended. I am currently in violation of reason # 9 (If a member has more than one account). I have two accounts because last year I hired someone to handle my P.R. efforts which included submitting articles on my behalf. She set up my account with my name (with my permission), username and password. However, she will not tell me what the password is, so I would have to submit future articles through her at a cost. That is why I set up a second account. I did not know that doing so would be violating one of your regulations. Please tell me what to do to correct this situation. Thank you.

Donna

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 12:10 PM

EyeSpyPro writes:

I remember all my first articles not getting published after repeated corrections. I now have no problems getting published after I learned to give & not just take…

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I am very new to the Internet and to writing articles. And to typing!) I wonder if a warning is given prior to suspension. It seems harsh just to suspend without giving the author a chance to make corrections before being suspended. Also, how does an author find out that he/she is suspended?

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Brad writes:

Penny,

Great list and I must say that your support people are great. I’ve made this mistake before and had my account suspended for a day or so. However, usually your people are nice, cordial, and understanding and just want explanation.

However, my concern with the idea that you don’t automatically send a suspended email. I think this would be easy to program and makes people aware. I remember when my account was suspended for a while and I didn’t know it for 3 weeks! I just didn’t have anything to write about.

Just a friendly reminder that as important as this site is to the internet, we are generating the content.

Johnson and Johnson is famous for putting employees (expert authors in this analogy) before everyone else.

The logic is simple. Employees take care of customers, and customers take care of shareholders.

Just my opinion but this should definitely be EZA’s creed. Mostly it is but there are areas of potential improvement.

Cheers,

Brad Spencer

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Chris Lauzon writes:

Hello,
I love the concept of Ezine. However, so far I have not been able to get any of my articles approved. I have made corrections based
on the feedback from support and still no approval.

Could this be a revenue opportunity for Ezine? As a very part time writer, I would be willing
to pay a fee to talk to a live person and figure
out how to post correctly.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Gisele writes:

I recently made some changes to my Resource Box. The article was rejected when I tried to submit it, so my Web person and I went back and corrected what we assumed from what we read to be the problem. It was rejected again. Not understanding what the issue was, I e-mailed back to problem resolution asking. I got know response. So I made another change and resubmitted the article, and got the same result. Bottom line is I have emailed 3 times now to ask what the problem is and have yet to receive a response, but the article is still being rejected. Under point #1 in this newsletter artilce you state that it’s better to ask why you article is being rejected if you don’t know. I’m asking what’s the point of asking if you don’t get a response?

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Mark writes:

Is my account suspended or in danger of being suspended?

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM

george iskander writes:

I have recently submitted a new article, “Synthetic drugs, uses and disatvandages”‘for reveiw along the guidelines which are herewith proposed , but I hav,nt had any response on it yet.
It would be reasonable to re-consider your decision as to the new article and contact me at your earliest convenience.

thanks

george

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Peter Mitchell writes:

Hi
As a newbie article writer and submitter of four articles to date, I was recently suspended for submitting an article that was not completely original. A genuine mistake and I was grateful for the opportunity to correct my mistake. Thank you for keeping high standards

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 9:42 PM

All,

If you’re asking public questions about your account; know that we can’t give you a public answer. Best to email us privately via the CONTACT US link within your membership account.

Barbara: How do you find out if your account is suspended? If it’s suspended, you’ll know when you try to log in or when you’re logged in [depending on the suspension type].

In a few types of suspension, we’ll even tell you why specifically your account is suspended… but in some cases, we ask you to contact us to find out the specific reason.

ChrisL: We do have a Premium membership option that gives you priority email response (within hours during the business day and never more than the end of the next business day for a response.). Unfortunately, we don’t have a telephone option.

One note: Premium membership does not grant editorial bias; just faster communication, priority article review and a host of other extended features.

Comment provided June 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Julia Andersson writes:

Hi Chris

Got a question for you regarding the latest mailout on this topic… affiliate links.

In terms of what links are allowed/not allowed. What happens when a person has purchased master resale rights to a product that is usually an affiliate product?

I’ve done this a couple of times and have pages attached to websites for these products (eg. auto blog feeder)

From that mailout I understand that I am NOT permitted to include those page links in my resource box even though the link is not an affiliate link and I own resale rights. That at all times such pages must be on their own domain. Is this correct? Or would I be permitted because I own the resale rights?

Of course, even if you did permit it, it would probably be better to have it on it’s own domain simply to avoid misunderstandings. :)

Comment provided June 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

alex_cavira writes:

Thank to share it,, i ll keep it always with me it can be very useful
thanks again

Comment provided June 13, 2009 at 2:35 AM

Julia,

Master resale rights is code for “non-exclusive rights” as far as we’re concerned…. but:

We don’t care if you own master resale rights or not in terms of what you have on your website.

Comment provided June 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Marilynn Syrett writes:

Thanks for the list! :) I guess a lot of people skip reading the guidelines before posting on websites and portals and then fret about failure of acceptance.

Comment provided June 17, 2009 at 4:58 AM

Roger writes:

As requested an example for the Cartoon:-
“Eeeezines ART!!!! (Alien Relations Tested)-over.”
“Thought you copied “Captain Related?!!”
“come back”
“what a World!!!”

Comment provided June 23, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Debra Keirce writes:

Okay, well I won’t go public with my unhappiness, but I was shocked to go to my account and see that it was suspended, because I do not believe I did anything listed in those 10 rules, or violated the intent of EzineArticles in any way. So imagine my surprise when the very first draft I sent to ezine was unceremoniously kept in draft form. Then, when I tried to check on it to see why it had not been published, I got a notice that my account has been suspended. Naturally, my first reaction is to be angry that I was shut out without any explanation. What makes it more frustrating, is I have enjoyed many EzineArticles over the years, and finally got to a place where I felt I had something to share with your readers. You have lost a fan, EzineArticles.

Comment provided November 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Hi Debra,

We apologize for the frustration. Accounts are suspended if there is a question on the exclusive rights to any material that is found. Once we are able to clear this up with the author we are then able to reinstate the account. This is a temporary hold so as to gain further information. We will be contacting you privately regarding the article in question.

~Vanessa