Scaling Article Marketing For Affiliates

EzineArticles Expert Author Dan Ho approached me to do an interview. I get asked to do a lot of interviews and just can’t say yes to all of them; but I said yes to Dan because of four reasons:

1. He thinks in scale.
  2. His EzineArticles have over 2.5 million views and over 300,000+ clicks (proven ability to convert traffic into clicks) that he’s converted into sales (according to him).
  3. He’s an affiliate marketer who agrees with me that PLR (Private Label Rights) are dumb.
  4. Our members who aspire to think in scale could benefit this interview.

If you are an Affiliate Marketer or you’re an Internet merchant who is looking to help your affiliates grow their sales, this hour-long interview can provide you some key insights into how to navigate & leverage article writing & marketing to help build your business.

[Download the MP3] (58 minutes / 13.2MB)

Sorry, no transcript is available for this interview.

Some key talking points from the interview:

• Put your DNA into your articles. Without that, you’re not producing unique enough content.
  • Once you find a strategy that works, why wouldn’t you want to full exploit that and scale it until results level off.
  • If you’re an Internet merchant who has affiliates, consider writing smart article titles for your affiliates to write articles about.
  • The big money/traffic is in the Mid-Tail I think instead of the long tail of your niche.
  • Don’t write 1000 to 1500 word articles when you could split them in half to create (2) 500 to 750 word articles that will attract more traffic vs. one large article.
  • Before you write & submit one brand new article, review your archives to make sure you repurpose & repackage existing unique content that is exclusive to your name. Editing is cheaper than writing.
  • If existing articles of yours on your own website or blog has flattened out in terms of traffic attraction, consider submitting it to EzineArticles for a boost. It’s not new to you, but it’s new to our 30+ million monthly visitors who get to discover it.
  • Affiliate marketing is not a 30 or 60 day game; but rather a long-term business.
  • To get access to the massive outbound traffic pie (5+ million per month) that we send our members, to get in the top 100 members list, you’d have to submit 970 articles. They did, so you can too!
  • In the start, you have to reach escape velocity where you invest an enormous amount of time to build your article inventory before you begin profiting from the effort. 250-500 articles is a good starting point to shoot for before to begin realizing a good enough return to justify continuing this strategy.
  • You don’t just advertise once or twice or ten times in your business life, right? Why would you only write one or two or ten articles then? Instead, write & submit every day.
  • Invest more time writing new articles instead of obsessing on optimizing existing articles. This is often a waste of time after a certain point.
  • Ghostwriters tip: NEVER blindly trust any ghostwriter, ever. Get a work for hire contract that specifically gives you exclusive rights to the content purchased AND always double/triple check each piece of content before using it. Copyscape is not enough. Use GYM (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft (Bing)) to do random complex exact match sentence searches.
  • “To think in scale, you’ve got to think transactional leverage. Optimize daily transactions without adding massive human labor.”

What did you learn/discover from this interview that you can apply to your article writing & marketing strategy?

Dan Ho writes:

Hi Chris,

I hope anyone who listens to the interview (especially affiliate marketers) get something beneficial out of it.

Best regards,
Dan Ho

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Steve writes:

I have had over 1100 articles published on EzineArticles and it certainly does help in a big way.

Patience is the key as nowadays you need to write ten articles to gain the same benefits as what just one article would have provided only a few years ago. This is due to the explosion in popularity of article marketing.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Very Excellent interview, all Ezine Article Authors should hear this.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 7:47 AM

Dan Ho writes:

Hi Chris,

Lance, I appreciate the kind comments on the interview. I come across your articles all of the time and enjoy them very much.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Karl Hall writes:

Great interview.

I especially liked the strategies reading Affiliate Marketing.

As a new person to this business, I found it invaluable.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Max Alter writes:

Great post! Looking forward to listening to the full interview. First tip I got out of the summary: re-purpose – I am now reorganising a report I am offering for free into several summary articles.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM

As writers we should be always striving to improve ourselves and our work so we can help others more and more with our writing. Thank you to the whole for your continued help in this mission. You are appreciated.

Darrell Z. DiZoglio

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Joseph Ratliff writes:

Sounds like a bit of interesting info…I look forward to the pdf transcript of this.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 8:40 AM

tyler writes:

Chris thanks for doing this interview. You guys at Ezine deliver so much free knowledge and it’s really appreciated.

Dan is a class act and has been a huge catalyst in growing my internet earnings.

Last July 2008 I joined his membership and attribute it directly to my growth. In fact, of the numerous memberships I have tried his is the only one I have stuck with.

Dan I hope you read this and if so — thanks for your instruction, honesty and guidance. I owe you. :)

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Louise writes:

Thanks for this interview, there’s some really good information here and nice to get is as an audio so I could just listen to it while working.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Olivia writes:

I’ve been a student of Dan’s for over a year now. What he has taught me about effective article marketing has been invaluable as well as profitable.

Just like Tyler, I too, have tried other marketing memberships, only to be disappointed. This has been the simplest, most effective method that I’ve come across in my 10 years of trying to make money online.

Congratulations, Dan, on some much deservered recognition.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Wayne Lindgren writes:

Great interview. Thank you

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 10:26 AM

EyeSpyPro writes:

Hey Christopher, thanks for introducing us to someone who has mastered article writing. Dan provides easy to use tips & techniques that will save me a lot of time.

It’s great that you can bring to us the tools others are doing to succeed, because we all succeed together…

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Dan Ho writes:

Hi Everyone, (and especially Tyler & Olivia)

Thanks for the kind words and being members for the last year.

I am flattered to play a small part in your successes. But, of course, I feel I can’t take the credit entirely.

If any of us are successful it’s because we stand on the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes.

Allan Gardyne was my chief influence when I first started out 8 years ago.

Allan and Ken Evoy were the ones who taught me the philosophy of “paying it forward.”

Along the way, I picked up more mentors, although I don’t know many of them personally.

John Reese’s information was always beneficial to me. Rosalind Gardner is a super hero. I could go on and on.

And, of course, there is Chris Knight. Not to sound like I’m sucking up, but resources like EzineArticles gives us all a tremendous opportunity to “give then take.” Entire businesses have been built around EzineArticles and that says a lot.

I hope Chris doesn’t mind me sharing this, since it wasn’t covered in the recorded interview but in a private email exchange I had with him:

I thought he was the founder of EzineArticles. He wasn’t. He purchased the site, and then in 2004 tore it apart and rebuilt it from the ground up.

What he’s accomplished is only something we can marvel at and shows his entrepreneurial vision and prowess.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I don’t know how to do this . To promote my business or write articule. My english not good.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Repurposing my articles – I haven ‘t thought of that strategy.
Thinking in terms of 970 articles. I am proud of having written 88 articles so far, but I see that is a small amount compared to what will become profitable.
I have not yet ventured into affiliate marketing or joint ventures.
Progress is slow toward my marketing goals.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM

AMP writes:

I’ve admired Dan’s approach for some time. Great stuff. Thanks guys for the audio.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Carlos Perez writes:

I’ve only been in this (affiliate marketing) for about six weeks. I’m a member of Maverick Money Makers and I’m on a steep learning curve. This audio was super informative. What did I learn? i learned from EVERY question that was asked and EVERY answer. Thank you, both. I’m a 66 year old retiree and I want to create a new income stream for my wife and I. But, I’m not going to punch a clock! Work ethic is not a problem – I’m of the old school – I’m just not willing to punch anybody’s clock.

Thanks for all the info. I’m researching “scale” to understand that better.

Again, Thanks. You get 5 stars from me.
Carlos Perez

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Dan’s the Man! Dan Rocks!

Thanks, Dan.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Guennadi M writes:

Thank you – this is a post that I neede to read. I just embarked on the article writing adventure, thank you for your encouragement.

Comment provided June 6, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Janet writes:

Could you please clarify the part about the blog posts

“If existing articles of yours on your own website or blog has flattened out in terms of traffic attraction, consider submitting it to EzineArticles for a boost. It’s not new to you, but it’s new to our 30+ million monthly visitors who get to discover it.”

Are you saying blog posts that I have written can be posted on EzineArticles “as they are” or do they still need to be edited as per the archived articles mentioned

Comment provided June 7, 2009 at 2:26 AM

J writes:

Awesome interview. You have really overdelivered on the content of this one. I know I need to ramp up my article submissions. It’s an area of my marketing that I’ve not been able to get behind the way I would like. This is great motivation!

Comment provided June 7, 2009 at 3:39 AM

Dan Ho writes:

You can take any existing content you have on say, your blog, turn it into an article, and post it “as is.”

As long as you own the rights to it.

So what Chris is saying is, there are additional traffic benefits for you in doing so. For example, your blog-post-turned-article may be picked up by other publishers who may use it on their sites or in their newsletters.

It will also be seen by the significant number of visitors who come to EzineArticles daily, etc.

Of course, you should always keep some unique content on your blog that is different than what you submit to EzineArticles, but you’d get more mileage by taking some of your blog posts and submitting them as articles.

I’ve done the same thing in the past, and, yes, it works.

Comment provided June 7, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Right…Blog posts that meet our Editorial Guidelines can be submitted to us as is.

Your article submissions to us do not have to be exclusive to, but they need to be exclusive to your name. That means, we should not be able to find your articles on the Internet under anyone else’s name or no name.

My current recommendation is that you keep 40-60% of the unique content on your own website, leaving the remaining available for syndication to sites like ours. Like Dan said, you don’t want to syndicate or distribute 100% of your content; only a percentage. Start with 10-20% this year and see how it goes.

Comment provided June 7, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Antionette Tate writes:

Thanks. This was very helpful

Comment provided June 7, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Chris, does what you are saying mean that the word-for-word version submitted to EzineArticles is OK…and if so does this pose a problem in terms of Google seeing Duplicate Content???

Comment provided June 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Carlos Perez writes:

Chris & Dan,

Again, Thank you for a very informative interview. Since the question of multiple submissions has arisen, I pose this: My plan has been to submit my articles to ezine first and then pay an unnamed distributor to submit the same articles (unchanged).
From the interview, I surmised that that idea was not a good one. But, I thought that multiple exposure (aside from keywords, unique content, etc.) was the what mattered, i.e., would generate more traffic.
Can someone expalain? I’m very, very new at this.

Comment provided June 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Georjina writes:

This could not have come at a better time and thank you Dan.

I’m someone who takes quite a bit of time writing my articles and normally they are between 550-750 words but I thought I was doing this wrong because they are all different, same topic maybe but definitely not the same article!

I can’t thank you enough for giving me the extra ‘kick in the pants’ to submit more:)

Comment provided June 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Zack Lim writes:

Hi Chris and Dan,

Thank you for sharing this excellent interviews.

I am very sure that all new authors who follows the guideline will see the growth and progress in their online business :)

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Read this about my thoughts on whether you should submit 1 article to 200 sites or 200 articles to 1 site:

Lawn & Garden,

I don’t intend to answer or acknowledge blog commenters who post with a keyword stuffed name instead of their real name.

There was a time when we rejected those comments all together as not appropriate for a professional forum. Lately I’ve given up some of this standard because I was tired of the fight… but wanted to be fair to you to let you know that I won’t be acknowledging anyone who posts without a human name in their blog comment name that optionally can be linked up to their website.

Please see #5:

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Andrew writes:

Awesome interview. Thanks Dan great work, and Chris for being so direct and answering each question without the usual veiled answers to the big questions that you often hear in interviews.

Great stuff, thanks.

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 8:37 AM

karen davison writes:

great article and it helps us newbies get a perspective on how all this works – guess i better get writing. :)

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Carlos Perez writes:

Thank you very much for referring me to your 1-200 or 200-1 posting. I read all the comments. I am certainly much more enlightened on the subject.
I’m altering my plan. Ezine first followed by 1 or 2 niche zines. One last question: Is there a negative impact in terms of SEO if I use the articles verbatim?

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Gerry Faehrmann writes:

Point taken, Chris. My apologies!

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Ken S writes:

Great post and great info. Gives me motivation to keep writing and push through the eminent writers block we all experience at one point or another.

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 4:39 PM

No problemo. :)

Is there a negative SEO impact? Our position is that we don’t purport to know what any search engine will or won’t do as we’re not in control of them.

I can tell you that we’re very aggressive at making sure we *don’t* host articles that are exact match duplicate of another article on our own site plus we’re highly efficient at identifying & rejecting derivative content with both human and automated systems designed to deliver our users with a positive experience.

Those who live in fear of the SE’s usually produce very little content…making room for competitors who push forward, writing & submitting hundreds, thousands and eventually tens of thousands of unique, high quality original articles designed to be helpful to their target client.

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Ingrid writes:

That was a very informative interview. You never stop learning. I was extremely fortunate when I came across Dan’s service 8 months ago. I never knew anything about article writing until then. I have written several hundred articles in the past 8 months thanks to Dan’s awesome teaching. Thanks also to Ezine article for the great service they provide.

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Kate Rieger writes:

Whoa! My 2 favorite mentors in one session. As a former PLR transgressor I recommend that noobies pay attention to your message. Put your DNA in the article – even if you are learning about a new niche you can always incorporate a bit of your own genes. …As for the hint for at the end of your interview for mentoring a new affiliate team … Well…you just will have to listen to the whole interview for the master TIP at the end… It WORKS. Check it out!

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Carlos Perez writes:

I am awed by your prompt personal responses to our queries. It’s very encouraging to have someone of your experience and responsibility to take the time to respond, especially to us newbies. I should have phrased the question more positively: Is there a benefit to submitting an article verbatim to a niche zine after its been published in EA?

Comment provided June 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Is there a benefit to submitting an article you submitted to EzineArticles to another website?

That’s like asking Coke if it’s ok to drink Pepsi after you just drank a Coke. ;-) Doesn’t matter to us.

Where some members get in trouble: They submit to another website first and they use a different name for their content. They submit to us; we find the other article on another website under a different name and we reject the article or suspend their account because it appears the member is submitting PLR/non-exclusive rights content.

Comment provided June 9, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Carlos Perez writes:

You were working early. Reminds of my corporate days.
I understand. I will not be doing that. I respect and appreciate your sincerity and dedication. (Your similes too), smile.

Comment provided June 9, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Courier writes:

Thank you for the MP3 and audio. Great stuff.
And like any Internet Marketing material coming out these days, th bottom line: JUST DO IT!

We can read, view and listen to a lot of great tactics, but you will never reap any results unless you implement what you have learned.

Comment provided June 15, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Yvonne Finn writes:

Hello Chris and Dan,
You’ve touched on one of my article writing challenges.
I must put more of my “dna” as you call it in my articles.
I was brought up to be very stoic and not show much emotion (me) in anything.
So, this is a learning curve for me.

As well, the caution to double and triple check anything written for me by someone else is a hard lesson that I just recently learned in a very direct way.

Thanks again gentlemen for a very instructive interview.
Yvonne Finn

Comment provided June 16, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Jo de Jong writes:

What is ‘scaling’?

Comment provided June 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Jo de Jong,

“Scaling” is the process of massively expanding your efforts in a focused area.

In terms of article writing, scaling your efforts would mean finding ways to go from producing 1 article a day to producing 2-10 per day or more.

Comment provided June 16, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Jo de Jong writes:

Thank you very much for the explanation, Kind Sir. Now I can reread the article and get some benefit from it.

Comment provided June 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Warren Little writes:

Dan & Chris ,
This is one of the most educational & valuable interviews I’ve ever been exposed to.

Your sharing about reaching a threshhold & scaling up was phenominal.

Warren Little

Comment provided July 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Lisa writes:

Great stuff Dan (and Chris), Great time to resurface it with the HAHD challenge going on as well.

Keep up all of your great work,

Comment provided August 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM