Overcoming Blatant Sales & Promotion

Join Gary for episode #3 of the “Top 10 Reasons for Article Rejection” series.

In this video, Gary explains the third most common article rejection reason – blatant sales and promotion.

Gary understands that you’re writing articles so you can tell the world about you or your company, which is great, but he says you must also provide value to the reader! Without value, you and your article lose credibility… and no credibility means no traffic to your site.

Watch this video to discover how you can easily recognize and avoid this common article writing pitfall.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Bottom Line: Less Salesmanship = Better Articles = More Traffic

Do you have other ways to promote your company while still providing value to your reader? Leave a comment and share your advice with the rest of the EzineArticles Expert Author community!

To see all the videos in the “Top 10 Reasons for Article Rejection” series, surf over to our video archive page.

Wonderful video collaboration, Gary and EzineArticles! Simple, effective and humourous use of sticky notes, movement, lists, etc to get point across.

Comment provided June 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Rachel Agheyisi writes:

I like, I like, I like!
Well done, Gary Stickman.

You’d think that by now all marketers know that the “bullhorn” approach is a turn-off.

So let us, the “expert” Ezine article writers, show them how it’s done — with value and soft-sell approach. The results may not always be instantaneous, but it’s a more gratifying path.

Comment provided June 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Not only is this the model for articles, it’s also the model for ezines, newsletters, etc. I always include a full article in my newsletter. They get the value first, and then … I ask for what I want.

If more people did this, they would experience the results they are looking for.

Comment provided June 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Brilliant Gary Brilliant! But Gary you seem to haev a porblem spelilng. Go check yor notes!

Comment provided June 2, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Marilynn Syrett writes:

Superb video!!

N thanks for sharing this wonderful information. I agree unless you offer something valuable to your audiences, there is no way they would handle ur self promotion.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 5:46 AM

Zack Lim writes:

Well Done, Gary! I really like your videos as you have convey the message in a humorous way.

I agree with you that we should always give value to the customers first before we ask for anything back in return.

Thanks for the video and I am looking forward to your next series of videos.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 6:06 AM

gdi writes:

nice and simple article Gary , thank you

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Geoff writes:

I like the practical side in which Gary shows writers what can make good quality content.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Brenda writes:

This short video was very informative to me, being that I’m a newbie to this ariticle writing. I will be sure to follow the protocol. Thanks Brenda.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Jason Booth writes:

Great Job! Very Classy! Professionalism at its finest! Most importantly Great Advice! Thanks for the video’s.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Marc writes:

Spelling error? What spelling error? ;-)

All joking aside, thanks for pointing it out. You’ll note it’s been fixed.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Ron Thompson writes:

Great Video
It’s like going back to school.
It gets the point across. I think by the end of this it will make much better article writer out of all of us. This will benefit all the readers and keep Ezine at the top for great info and high quality articles .
Ron T

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Gaynor writes:

Brilliant video guys.
Clear, to the point, entertaining without a lot of fast flashing movement, creative, not loaded with a lot of tricks that detract from your message and very helpful…..well done

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Ocassionally, I’ll get a rejection on this point of contention; “Blatant Promotion or Advertising” and it quite frankly irks the heck out of me. You see, I am retired, and I am not advertising or blantantly promoting a G-darn thing. Sometimes the arbitrary-ness of the editors or artificial intelligence software that picks these things up makes a mistake.

Of course, you cannot argue with a computer or an EZ editor, so, it essentially causes a reduction of creative articles, quelling of speech, and increases the anxiety of the article author.

Now there are articles that people submit that are indeed, outrageously “press release” related and do not belong here. But I am tired of the 1:400 articles I submit that is rejected based on this rule. I respectfully request to have this rule by-passed on my account, because, I’ve never abused it and the articles that have been rejected based on it, were fine, and non-promotional.

I felt by modifying them, I did a disservice to my reader and to the Internet. So, this rule needs fixing and by-passing for authors who have no ill-intent on promoting anything.

There are simply too many rules for rejections at EZ and it is hurting the system and upsetting writers. That’s my belief. Based on the 16,300 articles I have manually submitted here, so do not discount my comments due to your need to make rules and rule.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM

John Chablo writes:

Nice idea with post it notes! That has certainly set me thinking about how I produce my next video, much more fun than just sitting there in front of the camera. Well done!

Comment provided June 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM

fauzi writes:

Great idea, I’d like to write articles in non sales and promotion content.

Comment provided September 26, 2011 at 7:57 PM