Author TOS Updated

The EzineArticles Author Terms of Service (TOS) has been updated with the addition of one item:

10. You agree to not purchase or utilize PPC (PayPerClick), PPV (PayPerView) traffic, safelists, or traffic exchanges to artificially inflate your EzineArticles traffic stats. Doing so may result in your account being terminated.

This was a gray area that we wanted to clarify. Any attempt to send incentivized traffic to your articles may be perceived by us as an attempt to game our systems for the purposes of boosting your article traffic views in order to reach our most viewed article status that rotates every 90 days.

[Related, see: How Can I Get My Article In The Most Viewed?]

We are happy with members who use the EzineArticles widgets on their websites & blog, their expert author RSS feed [Example of one kind of implementation] to help expose their web readership with their EzineArticles.

Conclusion: We’re highly efficient at converting your expert article content into huge loads of traffic back to your website. Leave the traffic attraction strategies up to us and invest your time writing & submitting more articles for best results.

tyler writes:

Hi Chris –

Although I can understand the spirit of this, I liked to send paid traffic to my article to test a new niche for a fast and easy feedback test. I can see how it can inflate traffic stats though.

How about sending subscribers of my list to my articles? Will that set of red flags?

Thanks,

Tyler

Comment provided June 1, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Tyler,

While we appreciate your traffic, we’d prefer that you didn’t.

Best to use your house email list to promote your content on your own website.

Assuming you already have high ethical standards when it comes to double-opt in (also known as “Confirm Opt-In”) in terms of permission-based email marketing, not everyone adheres to the same high standards…therefore we’d prefer that all members didn’t send any email-based traffic to your EzineArticles.

You may already know this, but we already send millions of permission-based emails monthly on behalf of our members via the 604 niche daily email alerts plus we also send new article alerts when our users subscribe to your new article alerts.

Comment provided June 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM

tyler writes:

Thanks Chris for your feedback — I got it. :)

Comment provided June 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Thaddeus writes:

Interesting, I really need to do some more research on SEO as my brain just can’t come up with a reason as to how paying to send traffic to someone elses website would be more beneficial than sending it to my own. Not that it matters but what made you guys decide to change it up I would think you would like for people to send you free paid traffic

Comment provided June 1, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Thaddeus writes:

Reread it and saw “traffic exchanges” and safelists I now know why you put this in the terms of service. Wish I would have know about this trick before it was banned $2 dollars of worthless traffic from a traffic exchange could translate to a lot of money and quality hits from Ezine and the most viewed list

Comment provided June 1, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Thanks again for clarification.

Comment provided June 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

This has got to be because of that Warrior Forum thread I was reading. That person was really upset because someone was trying to do what you so aptly described in your blog post.

It’s funny how some marketers will do anything to get more traffic.

Comment provided June 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Sounds like someone got very creative there. It was an interesting concept. Interesting indeed. I bet a lot of people have done this to bulk up their blogs, and content, I am somewhat surprised someone would do it here, I wonder if it worked?

Comment provided June 2, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Jen writes:

Hi Chris,

One concern, a major one at that. What happens when a competitor sends traffic that violates EZA’s TOS to one of my articles? Let’s be honest, this entire situation is a can of worms waiting to explode. I really worry that someones hard work can be ruined in a flash by those who are looking for a quick and easy way to rid EzineArticles of a competitor. May I humbly suggest doing away with the most-viewed article list? You’re going to find it very hard to control how people promote their articles.

Jen

Comment provided June 2, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Geoff writes:

I have to say I`d never even thought about using safelists and so on to send traffic to my articles. As for actually paying to do it, I just can`t see how that could be cost-effective anyway.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Kay writes:

I’d be concerned about sabotage also.

Comment provided June 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM