Article Marketing Reality Check

In the solitude of the marketing trenches it’s sometimes easy to forget WHY we do what we do. This is especially true of our Expert Authors who may occasionally need a gentle reminder of the key reasons for writing and submitting a constant steam of fresh high-quality unique articles.

With that thought in mind, I’d like to share some impressive stats:

• In April, EzineArticles.com logged over 30 million visitors of which 15+ million were unique.
    • Hint hint: You want your articles in front of this traffic!

• Last month, we delivered 5,406,167 clicks to our members’ website(s).
  • Yesterday alone, we delivered 213,025 total clicks to our members’ websites.
    • That’s 18.2% GREATER than our average for April.

• The average EzineArticles member experiences a 2-12% CTR. (Click Through Rate)

Despite those impressive numbers, there is one reality that, just like our members, we are not impervious to:

Each year, it takes more high quality articles to attract the same traffic level that fewer articles attracted just a few years ago. Most likely this has to do with an increasing content supply in the marketplace while the growth rate for the number of humans going online is slowing. The only way for any of us to stay ahead of this trend is to constantly increase your article inventory.

It’s our goal to be your highest non-search engine referrer of traffic. You can expect us to continue to deliver solid traffic in exchange for your best unique/original article submissions — but we can’t do it without you!

Want a Bigger Traffic Reward? Invest in writing, repackaging and submitting as many high-quality articles as your time, talent and energy will allow. Every article you submit increases your percentage of the take from those 5.4 million+ monthly clicks (and growing monthly).

To put it another way:
More Articles = More Clicks = More Click Throughs = More Website Traffic = More Sales For You

Natalie Dee writes:

Brilliant Christopher!

This is one of the best, and most convincing, emails I’ve had from EzineArticles!

Everything you say here is very inspiring, very practical and very true.

Thanks!

Natalie

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 2:58 PM

SearchData writes:

Article marketing remains as important to us today as ever. My writing team continues to grow to fuel or content needs. My SEO team recognise EzineArticles as an important and authoritative step in the link-building & content syndication process. Keep up the good work! And keep the spam out!

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Ramon Greenwood writes:

It would be very interesting and helpful to know the average stats on other key factors: views, ezine publishers and e-mailed.

Can you provide this info?

I appreciate your good surface.

Ramon Greenwood

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Gerry Faehrmann writes:

You guys are doing a great job!

What you say is what we get! We are getting a CTR of around a whopping 8-9%.

Love your work!

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Ramon Greenwood writes:

service that is…Now I’ll wipe the egg off my face.

Ramon Greenwood

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Compost Pail writes:

Yes, I’ve heard the phrase content is kind many a time. However, is the revenue generated enough to cover the resources and costs it takes to sustain all of this content?

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Bruce Butch Mackay writes:

Hi I still believe in Ezine Great blurb Chris

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Tim writes:

Even though the rate at which people are getting online is slowing,we’ve so far to go. You guys do a terrific job, and we appreciate your service.

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Very good reality check there Chris. Many ‘other’ article sites may not want to admit but your site faces the truth and provides a real and honest solution to this very real problem faced by us all.

QUALITY content will always beat ‘run-of-the-mill-fodder-filler’ content that we tend to see everywhere as people become lazier and lazier.

When the internet has its next ‘shake’ up I am sure we will see the afore mentioned lower quality content cleared away.

And it can’t come a moment too soon.

Regards,

Michael Sherriff

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Allan Russell writes:

Having recently received the “Expert” status from eZine, I am quite elated. I worked very hard at producing these articles. Based on this thought, I believe dZine will reach its goal to be the most visted site that is not a search engine

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM

storymaster writes:

I am new to ezines but the information that is every is amazing. If you have any guides or MUST read articles I would love to read them. Thank you for the article.

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 4:17 PM

The statistics you posted are amazing and validate the need for well written, focused, and timely articles. It’s always a pleasure doing business with the EzineArticles organization!

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Beatrix Potts writes:

Mr. Knight,

I continue to hear from other people that their experience with EzineArticles.com was stellar. Many of them have said that they owe much of the traffic to their website to a series of articles they wrote and were published here. Bravo, sir. To you I say, Thank you for a wonderful effort.
All my best,
Beatrix Potts

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Great idea. You have convinced me to write more articles this month! ;-)

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 5:12 PM

David Carpenter writes:

Thanks Christopher – Just getting started all tips help and are appreciated!!! .DRC

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Karen Chaffee writes:

Kudos on the stats, and thank you for the tips : )

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Wayne Holloway writes:

Great information, Chris.

Having only recently becoming familiar with EzineArticles, I am quickly developing a comfort level as I increase my articles.

I’m looking forward to more and more traffic as a result of high-quality useful content in my articles.

Thanks, for all the tips.

Wayne Holloway

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I enjoyed the way you were able to brag about how great EzineArticles is, and then turn that around as to how this helps the article writers that provide this content. In fact, this is a very wise PR move on your part, and something that the marketing books in the digital age recommend. That is to say, don’t tell us how great you are without telling us all the great things you are doing for us. Kudos are your excellent blog marketing. I should write an article using this as an example of how to market to an online community.

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Wow.. I mean an almost uncontrollable laughing.. WOW

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Hashem Shemshadi writes:

Mr Knight,
You have provided a niche for so many people to write,read,enjoy and of course get prosperous with such a high great articles links to their different businesses.
Thanks for your talently mixed efforts.
Regards,
Hashem Shemshadi

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Olan Pays writes:

Dear Mr. Knight,
I’ve got your email and really thank for what you’ve shared with me. You have convinced me to write more articles. Thanks!

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Russ writes:

I liked it it was enlightening and also motivating; to get me writing. Not sure what you mean by repackaging. I could look it up but I don’t think it will help.

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Marc writes:

Russ,

“Repackaging” or “Repurposing” simply means using written material you may already have to create new, original articles.

Here are two recent blog posts that explain the concept in more depth:

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Russ writes:

Mark,
Wow thanks for that. I couldn’t believe that’s what it meant for some reason I thought that was frowned on very glad to know it’s kosher makes life easier. I like easier. Will check your links thanks.

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Great points Chris a lot of people really miss the power of articles. I’m glad to be a a part of EzineArticles and love your continued support.

Cheers,

Charlotte

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM

marneta viegas writes:

Thanks so much for giving writers such a powerful marketing tool. I didnt realise it was so effective. There have been more hits on my website as a hit and Im sure our sales have gone up as a result. Thanks! Great service!

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Balachandran RV writes:

I can contribute articles about motivation to you. Tell me how to drive traffic.

viswaram.blogspot.com

Comment provided May 6, 2009 at 11:49 PM

doctor imran writes:

Great stats. You are doing really well. That is why every body likes to post the articles on ezines.

Comment provided May 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Wow – Very Impressive Stats Guys!
I’ll be interested to see if you are able to reach that goal of being the biggest referrer of traffic outside of the SE’s.. OK, it’s time to go & get some more articles written by the sounds of things.
Thanks :o)

Comment provided May 7, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Submitting articles to EzineArticles has absolutely built my business.

There are not enough good things to say about this company, its crew and the quality authors who helped it grow.

I, for one, will be forever grateful for the return of good things that have happened, since I began submitting articles to EzineArticles one year ago.

I went from zero profits, as a new business, to bringing in profits on a daily basis.

I am so pleased that EzineArticles was recommended, as one of the top publishers to submit articles to on the net.

Thanks once again for working so hard to get EzineArticles on the map.

Comment provided May 7, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Ohh my gosh Shirley that is fantastic! It is encouraging ya know, to hear actual results from others. Yay! I confess that once I got past my 50 articles toward my 100 commitment, I’ve been in a slight writing slump. I sit before my computer and go “Daaa…” BUT, you know what? Good news from others gets the old creative juices brewing again. Thanks for sharing Shirley! Congrats!

Comment provided May 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Kathy, you funny bunny. Fifty articles, one a day! Congrats to you!!!

You should be juiced up and roaring to go. I admire anyone who can do what you have done.

Have a creative one and thanks. Kudos to you Kathy

Comment provided May 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I was just looking at my monthly performance summary that came via email, again. Ya know… that is just so cool! OK.. I have direction for today and ready for lift off. Ten, nine, eight…

Comment provided May 7, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

You’re so funny Kathy and creative. You have a nice way of looking at things.

And you are an inspiration to me. I’ll lift off today too and get an article ready for submission.

Comment provided May 7, 2009 at 10:46 AM

comisan writes:

I’m very new and happened to sign on without knowing what the basic focus or goal of the site was. My first article was on the chocolate of Italy and the fact that my company, Caffe D’Amore Inc. was either the first or one of the first american companies to create hot, iced, and ice-blended cocoas. I subsequently received a notice that the article was accepted and I allegedly had been elevated to Expert. However, my home page still lists me as a Basic author. I have submitted a second article entitled: A Combat Veteran Discourse on the Contentious Issue of Torture.
It is being evaluated. I am preparing a third article on the debate about Global Warming and the related issue of Over Population. Paul Comi (Comisan)

Comment provided May 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM

This is no surprise to me.

My EzineArticles continue to impress Google which impresses me!

Keep up the great work!

Paul
“The Mad Webmaster”

Comment provided May 8, 2009 at 1:05 AM

P. Baker writes:

This blog is so helpful to me. That’s why I felt the need to mention it in my last YouTube video on Article Marketing. Quality Content and Keyword research is critical for 1) providing content that people are hungry for and 2) making users want to clickthrough or perhaps follow your work via RSS feed. I say more articles in niche categories and my video shows how to do that.

Comment provided May 8, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Paul,

I wanted you to know that I enjoyed your website.
I also liked the way you summed up your post. Both it and your website impressed me.

Comment provided May 8, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Marc writes:

Paul (Comisan),

EzineArticles is designed for niche authors, therefore all of our authors are called “Expert Authors” because they personally feel qualified to submit articles on topics in their chosen niche.

The “Basic” level of membership is a different designation and is best explained by these two blog posts:

1) http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2009/03/learn-the-secrets-of-membership-levels.html

2) http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2009/03/roadmap-to-platinum.html

Comment provided May 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Interesting article.

I’m relatively new to article marketing – and have just had my 10th article approved (but that number is set to rocket as I’m taking on the write a 100 articles challenge).

I’ve heard it said that you don’t really start experiencing major traffic from your articles until you’ve passed 20 or so….can anyone confirm or deny?

Comment provided May 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM