Surround Yourself with Topic Inspiration

Generating fresh article ideas can be as simple as putting yourself into the right environment.

As my family and I were on a outing yesterday, I found myself admiring the interior of the large public building we were in – the beauty of its architecture, the elegance of its decor and the nature of the artwork throughout. In my mind, I started asking questions like:

• What’s the meaning of the scene in that painting?
  • Is there a story behind each of those statues?
  • Where do you BUY statues like that?
  • How did they manage to hide the great sounding audio system?

Then like a bolt from above I realized I had today’s blog topic! To generate fresh ideas, just surround yourself in your niche environment and start asking questions.

Now my niche isn’t classical architecture or interior design, but if it was I would have just discovered (4) or more new article titles by simply looking around!

1. “Discover the Meaning of Iconic Paintings”
  2. “Understanding Public Statuary”
  3. “Finding the Best Deals on Large Indoor Statues”
  4. “Camouflaging Your Building’s Audio System”

Based on this experience, I’d like to make these highly-unscientific suggestions for using this technique to help YOU come up with a plethora of new article ideas:

• Surround yourself with your niche environment.
  • Allow yourself to quietly observe the details.
  • Think like your perfect client and turn those questions into article titles.
  • Research and discover the answers for yourself.
  • Turn those answers into great new articles!

Give this method a try and then leave a comment to let us know how it worked for you.

I totally agree with your comments and finding article topic in the environment and even from conversations you may have been involved in. Readers have endless interests and I personally believe that the more variation in your article choices, the better for the readers.

EzineArticles.com is a marvelous platform which allows Authors to express themselves, within the site guidelines of course, in many ways and in many forms. I think we have to remember that readers see our articles in countries all over the World and not just North America. As such, inspiration for articles that may suit a more multi-cultural audience is always welcome.

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Jonathan Huie writes:

Great suggestions. Getting away from my computer, observing, and asking questions have always been key to my best ideas, but you have taken that farther, and made your approach very comfortable and personal.

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Gabrielle Utz writes:

This is a great input. I will use it in my next article – I already found a subject. To ask How, Why and What is always good, even for people who don’t write.

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Sheila writes:

Thanks for the tips Marc and thanks for correcting your their/there typo! Those drive me crazy!

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Colin Noden writes:

Thanks for the reminder Chris! Yes research is so much more pleasant when done through an active life.

I’d add one suggestion. Bring a small notepad.

Perhaps some are comfortable in remembering these thoughts or recording them on electronic devices; But I find that a small travel journal is a great place to put thoughts and pics and even business cards as I wander. Be it at home or around the world.

Now you’ve awakened my travel lust again.
Colin

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Teresa Slack writes:

Thanks so much for posting. I try too hard to come up with ideas, and consequently come up with nothing. Today I’m on my way to a major airport. Should come up with all sorts of inspiration there.

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Regrow writes:

Great suggestions! Just like museums, I find lots of great ideas walking around Barnes and Noble. If there’s a table with a selection of books on the same topic, there’s a niche. If there’s a book on a particular topic, well worth considering a sub niche. There’s always plenty to write about!

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Dave Robus writes:

Hi and what a great post! To be honest I have dried up somewhat just lately. But as I am on holiday in Spain at the moment and pondering what to do next, this has definitely given me Inspiration.

Tomorrow I am off to an old chocolate factory (over 120 years) for a day out.

I am sure that I will be able to get an article or two at least out of that.

Keep the suggestions coming/ gratefully received.

Dave Robus.

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Good Idea, nust don’t go to the Famous Anthropology Musuem in Mexico City for a while.

Oh, by the way speaking of great career advice, you might want to go become the Greeter at the Mexico City Walmart, but you cannot wear a mask because you have to smile and greet every single person who comes in?

Hey, that reminds me, to write an article on the H1N1 Swine Flu Virus in Mexico City.

You know what I think, I think this blog is amongst the richest environments on the planet for getting great ideas of articles to write!

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Marc writes:

Sheila,

Congratulations on catching my personal writing demon – I’m now one step closer to killing it for good.

Seriously, my brain knows the rule – now I just need to teach my fingers and my eyes! I eliminated my 2 spaces after a period, so I’m confident I can defeat this one as well. Having it called out in public is always a good motivator… ;-)

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM

CMA writes:

Brilliantly put.

Here’s an example of how easy it is to think of a topic.

Swine flu, recently came to the front. We noticed this flu in a few neighbors. Reported it to the media many weeks back. THEY reluctantly wouldn’t announce this and waited until their sources confirmed it. But then it’s to late, It’s already spreading. Thank our wonderful neglecting CBC and CTV for their arrogance of not reporting to the public!

On another note we have been trying to get them to help [CBA and CTV] to help promote our research, They refuse to even give us the time of day!

You know who’s going to be the losers! Check out the link to our website, we speak boldly without holding back, Someone has to start saying it as it is!

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Lalitha Brahma writes:

Great post. This is very helpful for someone like me who gets stuck!

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Paul Marin writes:

Great advice. If you happen to travel a lot, this is a phenomenal way to get articles material, however, every place, not matter how humble and mundane could be just as helpful. For instance:

Drinking a cup of coffee: I wonder where this coffee comes from? Article= Importing The Best Quality Coffee. / What country produces the best coffee?

Working on your computer for hours and experimenting a pain on your neck? Article = Exercises for Neck relaxation. / Office Yoga, The right working posture.

Have a great online session!

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Patrick Zuluaga writes:

Totally agree that immersing yourself in the environment that you would like to write about works! In addition, write down quickly in a simple bullet point format all the things that come to your head on the topic you would like to write about. Almost like a brainstorming session going on inside you.

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Dieter Luske writes:

totally agree, and it doesn’t even stop there. It’s an ongoing process of bringing surroundings into your awareness and extracting questions and writing them down to be processed into article later.
.. cheers .. keep writing… Dieter

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Sonny Dinger writes:

yes, i was just watching bicycling vides of Germany AND FRANCE, I LOVE BICYCLING, AND
AND PLAYING GUITAR i’m a church musician
thank you , so I WRITE ARTICLES ABOUT THEM.,
Sonny

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 8:02 PM

“The way to get good ideas is to get lots of ideas, and throw the bad ones away.”

–Linus Pauling,
American scientist

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Emma Elle writes:

Nice Ideas It is helpful to increase Articles Quality. This help to write good articles thanks…..

Comment provided April 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Katherine Harms writes:

What an eye-opening suggestion. On Sunday morning, I paused as I always do to admire the beautiful stained glass windows in our sanctuary at church. They are works of art. They are techical marvels. They are inspirational for our faith. They are challenges to building maintenance. Now I see that every aspect of the windows is a subject for articles that will enhance anyone’s appreciation of the windows, and the work of researching and writing these piece will undoubtedly inspire still more articles.
Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Comment provided April 28, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Gordon Newman writes:

This concept is fantastic. Have been using something very much like it from the start. My articles come from conversations held / overheard. Also they come from events that happen to and around me in the business world. My thought being that if it had any impact on me then perhaps it will have a similar impact on at least one other person, ergo, write an article.

Thanks for codifying the process for me, now I have an answer for “how did you think to write that?” questions.

Comment provided April 28, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Frank Larrabee writes:

Great post.
I’ve had those moments too, and now make an effort to find something to write about with everyplace I visit, driving, or talking with someone.

Comment provided April 29, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Hanifa K. Cook writes:

I just finished a post based on my experience working with learning of languages online, the virtual environment. Totally agree that in whatever situations we might be in, we ought to take notes of the information and details of the images that come to us. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided April 30, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Irene Jones writes:

I am a beginner and I am finding this to be very educational and inspiring. I never dreamed that I would have anything to write about or know how to write, but reading the different articles, comments and suggestions has inspired me to test the waters.

Thanks

Comment provided April 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

I enjoyed the ideas and questions to ask, as new visions of thought pop into my head, regarding my niche.

Thanks Marc

Comment provided May 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Ernie Boxall writes:

Thanks Marc
Where I live now, on a farm but close to the city, there are so many opportunities for me to write an article.The only thing required now is for me to get off my butt and do it.

Comment provided May 3, 2009 at 3:39 AM

Skpet writes:

Thanks Marc
I enjoy to post my idea and something related to my business here. Have a nice day!

Comment provided May 9, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Rahul writes:

your suggestions are really excellant and already i have started implementing them.i hope to see many more excellent articles…

Comment provided May 10, 2009 at 4:17 AM

Prem Guragain writes:

Great post. I always make note of ideas whenever something comes to my mind.

I love nature and while walking around, driving, just watching the clear sky at night, I get many new ideas.

Since I like to read Positive Mental Attitude books, it is very easy to think about different topics.

I still need to work hard on many techniques.

Once again, thanks a lot for this post. This will help me to be better in my writing hobby.

Comment provided November 4, 2009 at 5:47 PM

matthew writes:

Thanks,

I have been unconsciously surrounding myself with Topic Inspiration, but this blog post has stabilized my feet and elevated my confidence.

Great topic!