EzineArticles Enters Big-Time Racing!

EzineArticles Announces Formation of the EzineArticles Racing Team

With NASCAR’s Samsung 500 at Texas Motor Speedway only four days away, we proudly announced at a press conference yesterday the debut of the newly formed EzineArticles Racing Team into the 2009 national stock car racing line-up.

If the sudden appearance of the EzineArticles Racing Team comes as somewhat of a surprise to you, you’re not alone. News of this event shocked even the most astute racing insiders. Today’s announcement is the culmination of months of planning in an environment of total secrecy.

At the press conference, Christopher Knight, CEO, spoke to a handful of reporters about this unexpected and highly secretive leap into racing’s big league. “I’m sure that this move is going to shock a LOT of people. Even our own employees have been kept in the dark about our plans to sponsor a team. But we felt secrecy was necessary if we were going to truly capitalize on entering the racing world with a bang.”

At the wheel of car #404 is relative newcomer Vince Valance (a pseudonym) of Luxemburg, WI. Although well known in Midwest racing circuits, Valance is making his national racing debut on Sunday in Fort Worth, TX. According to Valance, “Mr. Knight felt it was important that we have a local driver who really understood the Midwestern mindset of the company. He even went so far as to secretly hire me into a temporary position so that I could better understand the inner-workings of EzineArticles.”

The team’s choice of car number 404, a reference to the Internet error code for “Page Not Found,” speaks volumes about EzineArticles’ tongue-in-cheek approach to sponsorship. “We’re a dot-com company,” says Knight, “it’s no secret that we’re geeks. We see a lot of potential for humor in the odd pairing of a company dedicated to armchair jockeys’ with the fast-paced and flashy world of auto racing.” For even more proof of this less-than-serious attitude, one need look no further than the team’s official website.

The big question is whether or not the EzineArticles team can carve a name for itself in the big money, big name world of auto racing. Knight obviously thinks they can. “I’m not one to throw cash at a losing proposition,” he says. “Internet marketing is all about driving traffic to your site. Making a big splash to an audience as big as pro auto racing is a great way to stand out from the crowd and bring people to our site. After that, it’s just money in the bank. Now if you’re asking if we’ll win races well, that remains to be seen.”

To learn more about the team go to the official, and slightly off-beat, EzineArticles Racing website at http://EzineArticlesRacing.com/. On the site, we’ve posted even more pictures of Vince and the car, plus photos and bios of the crew – though we’re thinking some of the material posted here might be a little, um, fictional.

Download a PDF copy of the official press release issued yesterday by EzineArticles. According to team spokespeople, more information about the team will be announced in the days leading up to this weekend’s race at Texas Motor Speedway.

Below are two excerpts from videotaped interviews with CEO Christopher Knight and driver Vince Valance shot immediately following yesterday’s hotel press conference in Green Bay. After the interviews, Knight boarded a jet to Las Vegas to meet with racing officials. In the first clip, Knight shares some of reasons behind his decision to sponsor a team and the need for utmost secrecy.

In the second clip, driver Vince Valance talks about his relative anonymity to national racing fans and the extreme measures taken by EzineArticles to keep his identity secret while exposing him to daily operations at the company.

Looking for something new and sporty for that special racing fan in your life? Then check out our collection of EzineArticles Racing apparel! We have a variety of shirts and hats to suit even hard-core auto racing enthusiasts. Check back often because we’ll be adding more items everyday.

In tomorrow’s blog post, we’ll be revealing even more secrets about Vince Valance, car #404 and the whole EzineArticles racing team. Whether you’re a racing fan or not, it’s a blog post you definitely will not want to miss! =)

We look forward to hearing your comments about this new and exciting chapter in the life of EzineArticles.

Allen Graves writes:

Wow Chris – Congratulations!

This is awesome news, not only for you guys, but for the entire article marketing community.

Now, let’s just hope he wins! :-)

Allen Graves

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:03 AM

misaelrod writes:

nice April Fools

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Carl Glassford writes:

Congratulations Chris, et al,

After the initial shock, my reaction was that this was an April Fool’s Joke. If it’s not, then good for you.

Another lifelong dream achieved by someone who has paid his dues and worked really hard to get to where he is today.

Best wishes on the new ADventure! We’ll see you around the track.

All The Best,

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM

gene writes:

What is today’s date? (-:

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Larry Miller writes:

Considering the high dollar investment in NASCAR racing, and the fact that this was released on April 1, I’m sure you will forgive me if I await the race to begin getting excited. ;-)

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:24 AM

ian writes:

This is great news – and oddly enough, I had suggested months ago on this blog that EzineArticles was uniquely positioned to become a dominant force in either competitive stock car racing or deep sea fishing, and I’m glad to be proven right.

I’m also thrilled that you have also announced all premium members will be flown in for the inaugural race, and the special club box seating and dinner we’re getting sounds super exciting too! ( another reason I recommend people join at the premium level!)

Thanks, EzineArticles for all your great work – it’s announcements like this that keeps us motivated to churn out great content – and see you trackside in a few days!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Dave writes:

Ok, this HAS to be an April Fool’s gag, right? But if you are going to keep the identity of the driver a secret, shouldn’t you be dressing him up like the Stig from Top Gear? It certainly does seem your familiar with the show…….

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:37 AM

we love the day of fishes and the new outfits! we always love new outfits!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM

YuanYu writes:

Oh, my God, it is a very inconceivable news, Congratulations too!

I believe EzineArticles will up and up, come on!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Marc writes:

You’re being modest. Your suggestion was one of the main reasons we continued pursuing this sponsorship. It seemed to make sense no matter how we looked at it. Thank you for that. =)

You’re welcome for the tickets – though we hadn’t made that fact public knowledge. One of the reasons we didn’t announce this special perk to Premium Members is for fear people would purchase premium membership simply to come to the race.

On that note, I’d like to point out to everybody that the special invitation was only sent to SELECT PREMIUM MEMBERS who have met certain criteria. Premium Members who have received this gift have already been notified.

See you trackside, Ian!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Geoff writes:

Hmm, what`s the date today?

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Kellie Frazier writes:

Wow Chris….Congratulations on this leap of faith! It will certainly help you dominate the article world as most of your followers will be behind you. What a great day it is when you can reveal something you’ve been working on that you know…really know…is right.

I’m rooting for Vince, and you, all the way!!

Kellie Frazier

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Alex Newell writes:

Wonderful post – I do hope that next year you can sponsor the Space Shuttle – you can boldly go where April Fools have not gone before.

A predictable outcome of your driving ambition Chris!

Way to go!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Hendry Lee writes:

And coincidentally the date of the post is….

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Suzi writes:

Wasn’t it PT Barnum who said a sucker was born every minute?

C’mon authors…what’s a 404 Error? Page not found! Guess what else won’t be found at the race track this weekend?

Nice work CMK. ;)

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Willy writes:

Neat- Mr. Knight-Rider!

What a promo! What a zinger!! Any truth to the rumor that V. Valence’s grandmother is the fast-paced and flashy Pinky Tuscadero (a pseudonym) of Racine, Wisconsin?

See ya at the races! (Ill be the one in the white, pit crew hat.)

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Karen writes:

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Tim ONeill writes:

This is the bomb! I have been a part of the racing community for years. I have wondered why more dotcom companies havent leveraged this side of traditional marketing. The numbers are phenomenal, the ROI the highest I have ever seen. This means I better get off my behind and become more involved so I can watch this from a marketing perspective. Awesome job.

Tim ONeill

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Jay Koch writes:

I would think that instead of 404 for the car number, you should lobby for 401 in honor of the day you released this fabulous news.

Shoot, I might just become a NASCAR fan when I watch your first race.

I am so excited!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 10:02 AM

ian writes:

Marc –

Thank you for the nice words – I’m humbled if my suggestions played any part in the evolution of this idea from merely a dream – into something that we can all get behind and root for together as a team.

Other than Chris’s stubborn insistence on making Vince write 10 articles to qualify, I think this has truly been a smashing successful foray into the wild and woolly world of professional sports, and I for one am excited for the ride. ( no pun intended)

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 10:05 AM

You guys should see my iPhone… It’s ringing off the hook with friends and family members trying to get me to hook them up with NASCAR VIP season pass tickets.

Sorry, they didn’t give me any tickets or pit passes to use beyond our current racing team members.

I’m in Vegas this week and will be at the Las Vegas Motors Speedway to get our team ready for the upcoming time trials.

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Howard Young writes:

I can’t believe that you guys are so gullible … April Fools!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Peg Kelley writes:

I’m curious. Is there any data suggesting that this form of marketing is effective – that is, creates new business? Is there a success ratio (dollars out leading to dollars in)?

I’m not a fan of car racing so have no idea. But I’m always interested in marketing tools.

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Terry writes:

This is Great Chris!

At first I thought this was an April Fools joke.
Had to go back and re-read a few more times. Sharp looking car. Can’t wait to see it in the winner’s circle.

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM

cynthia mcneill writes:

Congratulations!!! This is fantastic news and I can’t wait to hear more about car #404 and the EzineArticles Racing Team. I love being part of EzineArticles!!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Ray Squirrell writes:

Big Canadian Nascar Fan – This is exciting news –
Will root for 404 this weekend – Go get em !

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Darlene Norris writes:

What a hoot! I can’t believe you’re doing this. My hubby always watches the Nascar races on TV and roots for Jeff Gordon. Now I can root for EzineArticles!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Edward writes:

This is an April Fool’s thing right?

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Mel Inglima writes:

Thanks Chris! Front row seats! Gosh, at first I was reluctant to thank you for the tickets. After all, I’m only a lowly Basic Plus contributor. But, I must extend my appreciation … sincerely.

I just hope that I get a whiff of Penelope’s perfume and I promise to pay a bit of attention to Pops … whether or not he’s wearing his pork chops. (Going to stay away from that sweaty sailor, however.)

Tell Vince that we’ll all support his future endeavor with his chain of Valance’s Valances. What a dream!!

Down with GoDaddy! Up with EzineArticles!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Marc writes:

Chris freely admits that this is a leap of faith monetarily. It could be a great opportunity for us or it could go terribly awry.

My gut says we won’t really lose any money, but we’re probably not going to get rich either.

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Jay Koch writes:

There is a rumor going around that Vince Valence is Liberty’s grandson.

Can this possibly be true?

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Peg Kelley writes:

If he is Liberty’s grandson, then perhaps all the men will step aside and the womenfolk will hide.

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Jeanie Adkins writes:

This is too cool! I am from NC and love racing. I have some articles with you and I want you guys to win and bring a lot of awareness to your business! Good luck and we look forward to watching you in the races to come! Race to win and win to race!! You rock!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Marc writes:

Jay and Peg,

Thanks for the input of humor. Vince assures me that his grandfather’s name is Chet and he’s still alive and well.

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Steve Boyce writes:

Nascar is a great way to market a business. The more attention or traffic EzineArticles gets the better for all of us who post articles here. This is great news, smart move Ezine. I’m also a big nascar fan, I’ll be rooting for the Ezine car.

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Vitaly writes:

I think Nascar has jumped the shark. Although you may be getting a killer deal on your sponsorship because of it.

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 6:48 PM

James Steiner writes:

What a great secret! Absolutely magical guys and may the force be with you! I wish the entire team a season (late start though it may be) of safety, success and lots of lead laps!

I’ll say an extra prayer for “Double V” asking that he can keep it off the wall and keep the candles lit at all times of course LOL. All the best and may God Bless All Of You Always! Jim

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM

stacie mckinney writes:

As the wife as a local racer and a Nascar fanatic,I’ve always known that the racing community is ripe with material especially comedy!
I love this!

Comment provided April 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM

David writes:

April fools jokes are fun, but NEVER email me one again (this was also emailed to those on Ezine’s email list). You just wasted 10 min of my valuable time by sending me something I didn’t ask for. Read “Permission Marketing” by Seth Godin, and respect the permission I gave you when I joined your list.

Comment provided April 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Geoff writes:

Wow David, you should lighten up, life`s too short…

Comment provided April 3, 2009 at 2:16 AM

You could actually win some races if you hired me to drive. I like to win.

Comment provided April 5, 2009 at 4:17 PM

henry writes:

pls. just put me incharge of driving traffic.

Comment provided April 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM

prativad.com writes:

Congratulations! This is fantastic news…

Comment provided April 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM

God opened up the heavens, reached through the blinding light, and gaves us 404. :)

Comment provided January 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM