5 Minute Lunch-N-Learn Articles

Discover a unique approach to writing clear, concise articles aimed at your ideal audience.

Prepare to go on a little journey into the imagination…

Imagine if you will a banquet or meeting room full of your ideal readers. They’re all sitting at round, white linen covered tables having just finished a fine lunch and are enjoying light conversation with the other people at their table. The servers have just finished clearing the dishes. Coffee has been poured.

You step up to the microphone at the front of the room and politely get the room’s attention. All eyes turn to you in rapt attention – after all, this is why they’re here. The people in the room are expecting to walk away having discovered some nugget of valuable information on the topic promised in the Lunch-N-Learn title.

You now have 5 minutes to convey the message you’ve been invited to deliver.

Go!

This little mental exercise can provide a wealth of insight into what your readers are expecting from you. That insight can lead to better, clearer and more effective articles.

Let’s distill the scenario above into its component parts and discover how these things can contribute to the success of your articles:

• “… a room full of your ideal readers…” – When you write, first imagine who your ideal reader is for this particular article. Write specifically to them.
  • “…enjoying light conversation with the other people at their table…” – People are busy with their lives. If you’re going to take them away from what they’re doing, you need to provide something of greater perceived value than what they’re currently doing.
  • “…get the room’s attention.” – As an Expert Author, you need to do the same. Entice them with a title that draws them into reading your article.
  • “…this is why they’re here.” – Understand what your reader is hoping to gain from your article, and then give it to them!
  • “…topic promised in the Lunch-N-Learn title.” – Your title makes a promise to the reader. Deliver on that promise!
  • “…you now have 5 minutes…” – The amount of information in your article should be about equal to what would be delivered in a 5 minute presentation. Keep it short, sweet and concise.
  • “Go!” – All your planning amounts to nothing if you don’t execute. So put this new-found knowledge to good use and write some articles!

Do you have a favorite method for getting yourself into the proper “article writing groove?” If so, tell us about it in the comments section!

This is good, Chris. It helps keep us on track and keep it concise.

Thanks!

Comment provided April 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Edward writes:

Sounds like the “Twilight Zone” of article marketing narrated by Rod Serling. Good idea!

Comment provided April 14, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Can we talk about the important things in life like Portugues Water Dogs and Hope? Does the speaker get to use a teleprompter or do we actually have to know what we are talking about?

Comment provided April 14, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

My Article Writing Groove

I begin by researching keywords, before writing an article.

I let the words roll around in my mind for a day or two.

And, when I get excited about those words, I begin writing.

If I need to research further, that’s what I do.

When setting the mood in this manner, my articles sound natural and fun for my niche.

It’s these articles, that I enjoy the most.

Comment provided April 15, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Michael writes:

I really do use creative visualization when drafting anything I write – just as you say.
Keeping the interest perspective of the audience top of mind (WIIFM) has helped me keep my writing on track and relevant.
The simple AIDA formula for structure has also been helpful at times –
A – Attention
I – Interest
D – Desire
A – Action
but that depends of the style and purpose of the writing.
Finally, thanks to Shirley Bass for her comments. You have reminded me of the importance of keywords.
Michael

Comment provided April 15, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Lance,

As always, your keyword visualization is right on target and dedicated to the cause. Freedom is the issue. Liberty is the solution. Keep writing it.

As for getting into the mood of writing… I have an easy solution. I get on the jumper first thing in the morning and shock my brain back into action, then I find myself in front of the monitor with a waiting audience. I’ve written for so long, that I actually see faces when I write. My editor sits just to the left and a little in front of my screen (usually shaking his head), and my publisher is standing in the back of the room (distracted again by would-be competitors), my readers are lined along the walls in various comfy positions, my book open on their laps reading the words as I create them. One raises her hand to ask a question (just as she sees the left parenthesis for an explanation) and others roll and tumble in laughter as I let another one liner fly into their grasp.

As soon as my secretary brings my breve, I’ll be ready to move on to the next phase. My first 2500 words will be complete and I’ll be writing articles. In which case Jeff Herring will be pointing his finger at me, suggesting I use more “step articles” so they multiply easier, and Chris Knight will be the one just a little to left of my monitor running full speed ahead, and shaking his head in the wind trying to ward off the cobwebs that come from reading the same tired words over and over again. (Sorry, Chris, I couldn’t resist!)

Lance Wilson, of course, will be at the next desk, too busy writing his own articles to pay any attention to mine. LOL

Happy writing everyone!

Comment provided April 15, 2009 at 8:28 AM

hey that’s a creative way to look at things. thanks for the positive thoughts. see you in on the “inside”.

Comment provided April 15, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Katty Wayar writes:

Great article, concise yet effective. Thanks for putting this together for us

Comment provided April 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Lance Winslow — I hate it when I get my fingers all tied up in a knot with my brain and can’t write. Sorry about the name. I knew who I meant! ;)

Comment provided April 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM

No problem Jan, I’ve been Called;

Lance Winslet
Lance Winthrop
Lance Winston
Lance Winsloe
Lance Wynn
Lance Wynslaw
Lance Wilson
Lance the SOB

And I don’t even mind four letter distinctions these days. Unless they are compounded four-letter words and both derogatory! Of course, I cannot repeat them here.

Comment provided April 15, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I figure, you’re probably like me. I don’t care what you call me, just keep reading and visiting my website!

The reality is one of my best friends is married to Lance Wilson. Not sure if I was really thinking about him, or just typed the wrong name.

It’s strange when you know a lot of people and the names start overlapping. Then you get old and forgetful and embarrass yourself, because you KNOW (even though the next guy just did the same thing) that you’re the only person who EVER made that mistake!

It’s kind of like misspelling simple words in an article. You can beat yourself up ten thousand times, and there are some places you just can’t FIX a spelling error.

Which reminds me…

This is the perfect place to share with other article marketers. If you’re posting an article, glance one last time at the title. Make absolutely certain you’ve spelled everything the way you want it spelled.

My most embarrassing moment ever was an article I posted about education and politics, and I misspelled politics (poitics). The post had been up several months, I’d actually reposted it a time or two myself, and several others had reposted the article, before I caught the misspelling. That particular article was reposted in a political review in a newspaper, in printed press, with the same misspelled headline. I can’t tell you how many people have written me and commented on that article, many of them well known and public figures.

It amazes me that nobody noticed or commented on the misspelled word! Just goes to show you, perfection isn’t required.

Comment provided April 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Michael, Thanks. It always helps me to be reminded of the things I sometimes forget to do.

Jan, I truly enjoyed the read, your site and your blog. I bookmarked them for future use.

Fun!

Comment provided April 16, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Justin writes:

I loved reading this as an example of how to prepare for writing my next article. Maybe I’ll have to start with a joke.

Comment provided April 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I’m new to article marketing, having been advised that it is the best way to publicize my practice.

These article tips are quite good at building my confidence and getting me past my reluctance to write.

With your help I’ll be posting in no time!

Cheers!

Grant

Comment provided June 22, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Val writes:

It’s quite difficult for those new to article writing to figure out just where to start. I think the first article to write will be the hardest. But all these tips are really helpful and should get me going!

Comment provided July 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM