Smile and Say Cheese!

Don’t forget your author photo!

Yesterday’s blog post talked about the many benefits of filling in the blanks on your Expert Author Bio. One thing that wasn’t mentioned, however, was the importance of uploading an Expert Author photo (like the one to the right) as well. As a matter of fact, you must have both your author photo and bio uploaded in your profile in order to have a public Extended Expert Author Bio URL.

Follow these steps to upload your author photo:

1. Log into your EzineArticles Expert Author Account
  2. From the Author’s Area, click on the “Profile Manager” drop-down menu
  3. Select “Edit Author Photo”
  4. Click on the “Browse…” button and select your picture file
  5. Click the “Upload Photo” button

• Photo must be actual photo of YOU or have YOU in the photo
  • We will accept renderings, drawings or non-photo images if they are of YOU
  • We will not accept company and/or personal logos, symbols, crests, avatar images, violent, sexually-explicit or offensive material, or copyrighted images
  • Photo must be .jpg or .jpeg file
  • File size must be Less than 100k
  • Your uploaded photo will automatically be scaled to approximately 160×200 image size (size will vary depending on aspect ratio)
  • To update a photo simply select a new photo and select upload photo. This will replace your previous photo if one exists

Need some expert advice for getting a great photo? Joan Stewart, the Publicity Hound, has written a special article for authors on tips for improving your author photo. Read it here: “Why a Good-Quality Photo Should Accompany Your Articles”

Bottom Line: Having an author photo not only adds credibility to you as an author, it’s also a requirement if you’d like to have your extended author bio show up on EzineArticles. So find a nice photo of you, or take a new one, and get it uploaded today.

Mark Hainsworth writes:

Great for establishing and maintaining your online presence. Personal branding are buzz words at the moment and this can only help.
Many thanks

Comment provided March 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Susan writes:

If we use pen names, and have a few, what do you suggest we do about the photo issue?

Comment provided March 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Lynn Rader writes:

Thank you for the reminder. I’ve been meaning to add my photo to my profile for some time now. Say cheese!

Comment provided March 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Marc writes:

A good question, but I’m not sure there’s really an issue.

Multiple pen names serve the purpose of connecting one name with one niche – so that the reader doesn’t wonder why, for example, their favorite author for organic gardening also writes about finding the best deals on junk food.

Since articles can’t be searched by the author’s photo, there’s little chance that somebody searching for articles on organic gardening will stumble across the same author picture in the junk food niche. And if they do, will they even notice?

Finally, for the sake of credibility, there should always be a real person with a real face behind every article. In the case of multiple pen names, the “real person” doesn’t change, hence the picture shouldn’t either, no matter what name they use.

Comment provided March 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Susan writes:

Thanks Marc.

Comment provided March 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I agree with Marc and I’ve seen some members with multiple pen names or variations of their name do this:

They take different professional photos for each niche they are in… Example: Fitness niche vs. Business niche might have a Fitness photo of themselves in fitness gear vs. Professional business photo head shot.

Comment provided March 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM

watzabatza writes:

But still there are users or members won’t upload there photo. Or they don’t like to be seen by the others. I don’t know why..

Comment provided March 26, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Imran writes:

Thats a good reminder :-)

Comment provided March 29, 2009 at 2:33 AM

I can’t believe how easy it is to set up multiple pen names on EzineArticles. I’ve been wrestling with what do since I’m in the Internet Marketing/Web Design industry and also interested in Renewable Energy. Now I can have pen names for both!

My issue is that on sites like twitter I use my photo with my company logo next to my headshot.

After reading the TOS it says that logos are not allowed as a profile pic.

Mine is not a logo, its me and my logo. So would that be ok to use.

You can see the one I have on Twitter. Its the same one I’d like to use here on

Please let me know and thanks
Eric Bonnici

Comment provided July 6, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Eric Bonnici,

This photo cannot be displayed as your primary photo however, it can be added to be part of your professional photo gallery. Your main photo can only be a picture of you or have you in it and it cannot include logos.

Comment provided July 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Teri writes:

I do research in a few different niches and have created pen names for each. For one particular niche, the pen name is male — Can I use a picture of my husband or son to go with this particular pen name? (<– With their permission of course.)

Comment provided June 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Teri –

When uploading an author photo, you are associating that image with the brand created by your articles. We would advise against using photos of another person (like your husband or son), because their image could be associated with the brand long-term, and this may not be favorable for them in the future.

If you must use a male pen name for your niche, you may want to leave the photo blank. However, the best option – and the one that appears most credible to your readers – is to always represent your own brand. This would mean updating the pen name to be a version of your own name, and using a photo of yourself.

Alternate authors are great way to keep your niches and brands separate and organized, but still ‘own’ each niche. For each alternate author, you could use a version of your own name (for example: Teri H. Cooper, Teri Cooper, or something gender-neutral like T.H. Cooper), and a different photo of yourself.

– Marc

Teri writes:

Guess I don’t understand the branding plan you’re suggesting. My own photo for female pen names is fine of course, but when it makes sense to use a male pen name (and I know for a fact that other article marketers sometimes publish under opposite-gender pen names), I guess I’ll just leave the photo blank.

Thanks very much for the feedback.