Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Today we recognize Saint Patrick (circa AD 385-461), one of the patron saints of Ireland. Although this is the national holiday of Ireland, the festivities are not confined to the Emerald Isle. This particular holiday has taken on a life of its own and is celebrated throughout the world with parades, festivals and a lot of eating and drinking.

In the U.S. we seem to have an obsession with turning things green to celebrate St. Paddy’s Day. Sure, we do the traditional green beer, green eggs with ham and Lucky Charms with green milk, but we also go green on a much larger scale. For example:

• Chicago, IL dyes its river green.
  • Savannah, GA dyes its downtown city fountains green.
  • Rolla, MO paints (12) city blocks green with mops for the annual parade.
  • Indianapolis, IN dyes its main canal green.
  • Jamestown, NY the Chadakoin River is dyed green.

Speaking of green, there’s still time to participate in our St. Patrick’s Day promotion to qualify for (1) of only (17) limited-edition EzineArticles Leprecaun mugs. Check out yesterday’s blog entry to learn more.

I will be gunning for one of those mugs, got some writing to do!

Incidentally, speaking of “green” I notice that you have an energy efficiency category that seems to get quite a lot of views. Need to start writing….. :)

Chris
ProductCreationGlory.com

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Elaine Berry writes:

I really fail to understand this obsession with St Patrick’s Day. I am English and our patron saint is St George, whose “day” is April 23rd, but when do you get people wishing each other “Happy St George’s Day”? The US has at least as much connection with England as with Ireland, so why is St Patrick’s Day so important?

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM

John Higgins writes:

I’m heading to Chicago for the System Seminar on the 27th March. Will the river still be green then?
John in sunny Ennis Ireland on St. Patrick’s day.

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 8:34 AM

John Higgins writes:

Maybe it’s because there are 44 million people of Irish decent in the US including Barak O’Bama. Anyway we like to party so Cheers!

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Geoff writes:

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Jayanta Jana writes:

It is very fine day due to a “Great Saint’s Birth-Day. Specially have to remember the “Invation of Irish-People and his Moral-march of Parables” to the Irish-People.
As a Saint, served to the mankind forgood till death,had no conservity/superstition of religions.
In this respect, He is Immortal and respected person all over the world.
This day is better to remember him togetherly and his moral teaching also to march better in life and carry out our family, society & nation.

Jayanta Jana

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 9:09 AM

watzabatza writes:

There are more Irish in the USA than there are in the whole of Ireland. In England few really bother with St George Day. —-> yes Geoff.. they loved to be abroad than in their nation…

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Nupur Das writes:

I will be looking for that mug some day.It will be a dream coming true for me.Congrats in advance for those who will be getting those mugs.

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Elaine Berry writes:

O’Bama??? Oh, Per-lease!!!
I know few people in England bother with St George’s Day. In fact more people in ENGLAND celebrate St Patrick’s Day! What puzzles me is why? (I suspect American influence!)

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM

When I was a kid, my mom made pretty green oatmeal for us on St. Patrick’s Day. My mom was lots of fun. On April Fool’s Day she set the clocks ahead (before Daylight Savings Time), put salt in the sugar bowl, wathced as we dashed out the door to run for the school bus we thought we be there any minute, then laughed and called us back for a nice leisurely she had waiting for us. We fell for that several times. It was great.

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Nupur Das writes:

I forgot to say “Happy St Patrick’s Day” to everybody.

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 9:21 AM

John Higgins writes:

Well Obama’s great grandfather was from Offaly.Anyway what’s a keystroke amongst friends….lol

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Happy St. Patrick’s day! Like many people here, I absolutely LOVE to write. It’s cathartic in so many ways and not to mention the obvious benefits of organic search marketing and more. Keep writing folks and kudos to the winners (aren’t we all winners anyway)!

Kelley Rao, President
Webeze, LLC

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Karen Cummins writes:

As an Irish person I just want to let you know that it is St. Paddy’s Day for short NOT St. Patty’s Day.

I first saw St. Patty’s Day mentioned on facebook and then came across is on a couple of American sites.

So now you know that St. Patrick’s Day is shortened to St. Paddy’s Day. Paddy is short for Patrick.

Happy St. Patrick’d Day everyone!

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM

John Higgins writes:

Are we talking conspiracy theories here ie- is there a dastardly plot afoot by the Americans to take over the world by promoting St. Patrick’s day? I think not. It’s more because of the diaspora celebrating their heritage.
The celebrations are not judt confined to Ireland and the USA. All over the world Irish people and people of Irish descent celebrate on the Irish national holiday.I must do some research on what percentage of the worlds population can claim Irish ancestory.

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Marc writes:

Karen,

I stand corrected – as does the blog entry. ;-)

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM

We do not celebrate St Patrick’s Day in S Africa where I was raised – in fact up until last year nor was Halloween celebrated except by our family being English. My grandfather was Irish, my son is Irish – well his father is, now living in the USA – and I visit there at least twice a year.

I LOVE St Patrick’s Day, I love the mythology, the legends, the little things, the green, the joyfulness and excitement of it all – I also love March being Irish Heritage Month because it reminds me of the triumphs over the tragedies that the Great Irish Nation overcame…

My websites and blogs are absolutely loaded with St Patrick’s Day goodies, as well as Irish Literature and information – the highlight of my homeschooling educational year!!! My Irish-related published books are well received by online publishers and purchasers worldwide… indicative of a popular holiday and celebration all over the globe :)

My sixpence worth on a very personal level :)

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Riki writes:

I don’t how many people of Irish decent living in Canada but my sister-in-law is part Irish and she live in the US. Happy St Patrick’s Day to all those celebrate it.

Comment provided March 17, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Michelle Cubas writes:

Hi, Chris,

Even the White House got in the act this year making the lawn fountain green!

The Irish have an instinct for fun and joy.

Comment provided March 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM

George writes:

I am late to the party here but I love St. Pattys day and just had a great one.

Comment provided March 26, 2009 at 8:34 AM

James Marshall writes:

I know this is an old thread, but as it’s an annual Saints Day I figure it’ll soon be valid again.

Anyhow, a little known fact is that St Patrick was in all probability Welsh, not Irish. He did however spend about 30 years on a mission to Ireland, during which time he purportedly drove all the snakes from the country!

Comment provided January 25, 2010 at 3:55 AM