QUESTION: Should I include a URL tracking link in my Resource Box?
ANSWER: No, you should not include a tracking link in your resource box.
Here are 8 arguments against using tracking links in articles that you intend to put into distribution/syndication on EzineArticles.com:
- It’s human nature to not want to be tracked. Most readers of your articles hover over your link and if they think they are being tracked or they can’t predict where your tracking URL is taking them, they may not click.
- Your link may be mis-interpreted by your readership as being a “phishing link” and thus they won’t trust you.
- If your tracking link is not the same brand URL as your business URL, you’ll lose a branding opportunity.
- You lose search engine love by passing URL’s with tracking parameters.
- Are you really going to track CTR for years, decades and beyond? What happens to the links in your articles if you discontinue in 2 years tracking CTR? If you think long-term, you’ll realize that tracking URL’s are not smart when it comes to article marketing.
- Assuming you know that you should include a valid http:// URL in your resource box (instead of just an anchored text link), a URL without a tracking parameter included would keep the URL shorter and easier to present in TEXT based newsletters and other short column width reprints of your article. Often times tracking link URL’s are very long…too long.
- Ezine Publishers/Webmasters may overlook or reject your article as being not as good as one without a tracking URL… ie: They’re concerned about their users trusting your link as being valid.
- Your article may be wrongly rejected due to newbie Editors of ours who can’t quickly discern a tracking URL from an affiliate URL. They often look the same. This adds unnecessary delay into your article review & acceptance process.
In conclusion, it’s best to only include your regular http://Your-Company-Name.com/ in your Resource Box and/or a simple anchored text link. Don’t be like “Bob” in the cartoon and leave the tracking links out of your articles. :)
Agree/Disagree? Your thoughts?