Building Your Fan Base Update

Two months ago we launched a feature that allows your readers to subscribe via email to be alerted whenever you have a new article accepted.

While this feature hasn’t taken off like a rocket ship, we are now managing 2,957 permission-based email subscribers (86% growth over October 2008) on behalf of 2,273 unique expert authors.

The top member has 32 subscribers, the 2nd and 3rd have 20 subscribers each and so forth.

Obviously no one is going to fall over in their chair and be blown away with this feature today; But a year from now I believe the organic growth alone will make this feature become important enough that you’ll notice it… Especially older members – will be more rewarded than newer members due to having “face time” to attract more email subscribers.

Ideally, I’d like us to be able to attract 7,000-12,000 double opt-in email subscribers for EVERY single EzineArticles expert author, but know this dream won’t happen overnight.

Shirley Bass writes:

I would like to see that too,Chis! It is a goal for each of us to work on. I will do my best to help it materialize.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Deborah Mann writes:

Great idea Chris. I’ll do my best with this too. It’s great to be a part of Ezines and the more people who enjoy what we offer as authors the better, so I will do my best for sure!

Deborah Mann

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 12:20 PM

This is a number I check and feel like i’m making progress whenever it slooowly eaks up. I’m happy to have it added to the mix of things to pay attention to. And I find the more of this kind of information I get, the more I can orient myself in the ezine world. If playing little games with my brain gets me writing more articles and better ones, so much the better. I subscribe to some of my competition and I will now start following some of you. I also look around more when you Chris, write something like this and I can see who else is responding. so here’s chris and crowd and here’s to us! ann

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 12:54 PM

My current gut feeling is that those who have the most subscribers are in two groups:

1) Those with A LOT of articles because they capture the most attention.

2) Those who used their house-list or client list to promote their expert author URL and gave them specific instructions to subscribe to their EzineArticles expert author email alerts.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Gail Barsky writes:

I believe the best way for this new tool to gain popularity is for each author to announce it on their blog or website as a new feature.

Perhaps a button could be created or embeded code like the ezine expert status so authors could put it on their websites as an alternative to an opt in box.

It definitely has potential and the subscriber needs to be assured privacy policies will not be violated.

I noticed it as a new feature on EzineArticles and thought it was a good benefit. Good job to the team at EzineArticles. Gail Barsky

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Gail, that is a productive and creative idea. Cheers to you!

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Creating a button or chicklet for EzineArticles subscribers is a great idea!

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Parth writes:

Hmm..this is actually a very interesting idea. I do hope it takes off!

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Jim writes:

Not sure that all the effort to seek subscribers is worth it. Possibly might be worth it if you are just writing on one or two subject keyword bases for single URL. But if you are supporting 160 sites it would be hard to establish a fan base.
ie:
If you are only writing about weddings then it makes sense. but if you are writing about everything from competitive shooting to gardening and everything in between I am not sure it would pay off.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Thirty-Two? Wow that is twice as many as I have, I only have 16 and I think one of them is me!

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Linda Slack writes:

Receiving notifications is a great idea, some of us are still making friends and building our presence on the web through writing and social networking.

Comment provided December 3, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Bob Crawford writes:

This is a great feature, because the number of people who do subscribe will increase over time. More and more people use rss feeds to manage their info stream.

Jim, it is true that if you write for several widely different niches under the same name that the benefits of this feature will be diluted. But if you are doing that you probably aren’t too worried about building a ‘fan base’.

Comment provided December 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Awesome feature! I think you’re right. It will have organic growth over time. Now I have to go log in and maybe DO something, huh?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Comment provided December 4, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Lance, good idea..’me’. Hadn’t thought about that, but I am real fan of myself, so I am off to subscribe to me.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Thanks Shirley, I didn’t even consider myself my best fan, although now that I think of it, I guess I am. Rather, I was just trying to keep pace with another author here so I subcribed to his and mine to compare them each day. Later, I found out he outsources a writing team from India, so I was keeping pace with several writers at once? That’s too crazy.

Comment provided December 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Geoff writes:

I think the idea itself is a great one. If our articles are of the right quality I`m sure there will be those who`d like to be updated when we add new ones.

Comment provided December 10, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I haven’t checked my subscriber list recently (I’ll go check after I post) but I think it’s a great way for people on my other lists to know what’s going on with my articles, what I’m posting, and to learn about the new things I’m promoting. The best part is, they can join each of the names on my list or just one. YES! I can determine what goes where, niche specific targeting still works.

Jan