Zero to 250 High Quality Articles in 6 Months

Ann Keeler Evans Interview with Host Chris KnightThe secret to making article writing & marketing work the best is nailing *BOTH* quality and quantity…and it’s rare when I see it happen even with 130,000+ expert authors participating in the EzineArticles system.

What happens is that most experts who get the QUALITY aspect of article writing often fail to create enough quantity of articles to get the traffic & exposure return that is possible based on the quality of their articles.

Unfortunately, many of our members who master the QUANTITY aspect, fail to reach a quality factor that makes us proud to promote this type of author as ‘ideal.’

Then along came EzineArticles Expert Author, Ann Keeler Evans… who wrote and submitted more than 250 high quality articles in her first 6 months of being a member. I just knew that Ann had some rituals and secrets that many of our members could benefit from, so I called her up and received permission to interview her on what, why and how she does what she did.

Learn more about Ann Keeler Evans here.

Helen Hoefele writes:

This was a great interview! Thanks, Ann and Chris, so much for doing it. You covered so many bases. It’s like a mini-coaching/training session by itself. Great to hear from real people on both sides of the process breaking down all the components. You’ve made the goal much less intimidating. Thanks!

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Veronica Hay writes:

Hi Chris

I really loved your interview with Ann Keeler Evans. Very inspiring and informative!

Ann has given me a lesson on being more disciplined, provided me with the incentive to write more and motivated me to get clear on my own purpose.

Thank you so much for offering this wonderful service and for sharing this information with the world. (Found out about it on Twitter, by the way.)

Take care and enjoy your day.

Veronica Hay

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I was happy to hear that Anne, like so many of us, did not start out as an expert in online marketing/web stuff in general. And I’m happy for the reminder to get into a routine to get the writing done. Actually there are lots of great reminders in here, mostly it’s to just keep writing and posting articles, keep them short and informative, and give the reader something at the end.

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Lesia Gregory writes:

Thanks so very much Chris and Ann for this interview. I have read countless articles and listened to even more audios on Internet Marketing and I think this is one of the best (although this isn’t the sole purpose of this interview). I have a degree in Librarianship, have written ebooks but to write 250 articles in 6 months is absolutely amazing. Ann, you have really inspired me to take my writing to a whole new level. I think my problem is that I focus too much on quality with very long articles as opposed to shorter quality articles. I have now decided to write 100 quality articles on Marriage and Relationships by Christmas. Hope I can do it . Thanks again.

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Jordan Pearce writes:

Excellent Chris! It is very nice that you interviewed an article expert from your site. Readers always want to know what the experts are up to. Very nice to meet you Ann. :)

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Mel Menzies writes:

Thanks Chris. After what Ann said you’d pointed out to her about why she wasn’t getting any conversions, I’ve been inspired to change my resource box, particularly emphasising the calls to action and putting what I can do for my readers before the fact that I’m a bestselling author. Great! Thanks again.

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM

This was so fun to do, and I can’t tell you how much Chris taught me while he was interviewing me. What’s also so fun about this is finding the recognition for the work we’re doing. I don’t know about you, but i live in a little town. people think it’s weird enough that i perform weddings outside a church, but that i’m writing about it on the internet is absurd to folk. and here we are, (because you’re me,) and chris is telling me i’ve got the goods and here you are, saying go ann! we all need people clapping for tinkerbelle. And we can all use one another to spur ourselves along. If Lesia can write 100 articles this month, can we? At the very least we can applaud, and then say ooh, ooh, ooh, i can do that too! so, if i can do something this month to make you better, i look forward to learning from you! Thanks Chris!

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Jim writes:

You need to do this again possibly once a month. I am sure that there are a lot of great writers like Ann that could provide us with new approaches that are effective. Looking toward the next one.

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Evelyn Vincent writes:

This was a terrific interview! I set up an eZine Article account months ago and have not made time to get articles written and posted, this post has got me thinking and motivated.

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Ntathu Allen writes:

Excellent interview – thanks for reminding me of the value of honoring the process and the best way to grow my business is to consistently write articles… lots of useful learning points – thank you

Comment provided November 28, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Yes, you are right! I like it when you highlight these great authors. She has some incredible articles, very impressive and fun to read, but it might take me a while to get thru them all. They are quite good.

Comment provided November 29, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Marah Marlette writes:

Hi Chris!
I AM A “NEWBIE”–there! I admitted it! Now I can get on with my life and just submit the dang ten articles sittin’ here in my computer! I love that Ann has conquered any fear in getting her work out there–I really appreciate how candid she is about not “knowing what we know” until we’re doing it. Thank You, Ann! I look forward to checking out your site!

Comment provided November 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Dene writes:

I downloaded the Mp3 twice and it is only 10 seconds long.

What is wrong with it?

Did anyone else experince this?

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Lon Cassino writes:

I have signed up to write, because I know I am a good communicator and am gifted in that regard, but find myself stuck.

It is like I need a push off the starting block. My wife is very supportive and a successful writer, publisher but has not found the spark that I need, which is embarrassing to say the least.

It is like my mind is blank…..any spark you can share?

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Ronna Sather writes:

Chris and Ann,
Thank you both so much for the interview! I really enjoyed the depth of the questions and the honesty with which the answers were given. I think many of us begin an internet business with the hope that it will fall into place more easily than it does, but I am beginning to see more traffic even after only 6 articles. It is inspiring to hear about Ann’s stick-to-it-tiveness and how her business has steadily grown. Ann, I am proud of you. You go, girl! And, Chris, I would love to have more of these interviews; they are wonderful learning experiences.

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Chris writes:

I would like to know if there is a significant difference in how long the traffic lasts if writing quality.

As things stand, because there is no shared Adsense revenue, I reserve my best articles for my own websites and my lesser (but still good) articles for EzineArticles.

If you consider some sort of shared revenue model or can show that traffic will not peak early and then die very quickly then I’d be tempted to reserve my best work for EzineArticles.

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Thank you Ann and Chris for the great interview!

It truly helped me realize that we must write our way in knowing. I can see this very plainly.

I was also happy to hear that a ‘writing rhythm’ begin at about the 100 mark. It was inspiring and I am looking forward to the day I have 100 articles written and submitted to EzineArticles. I know it get easier with each article.

Nice job Ann!

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Catherine Posch writes:

Im new to all this internet/web stuff and have had an account for a couple of weeks now but have been daunted by the enormity of it all. Thanks to both of you for showing me how to approach my writing. Inspiring, informative and useful. Now that I know I dont have to write a best selling block buster for my first article – what a relief. I can now get on with enjoying the process.

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Darren Johnson writes:

Great interview Chris.

This a topic I’m very interested in as I struggle to write a quantity of quality articles. Ann, you’re inspirational. Great job!

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 8:22 PM

john writes:

She has inspired me to do more. Thanks for the MP3. I’m happy for her success.

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Jodi writes:

Wow, this really inspired me to write more EzineArticles. I got burnt out trying to write content in a lot of different places and keep it all unique and GOOD.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Great article and Ann is great! Chris thanks for creating this place, I didn’t really understand the TRUE value and quality of until i tried a few other sites and saw that by far you guys are the leader… and quality interviews like this further solidify that fact… thanks

Tyron – The Owner Builder Guy

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

You know, I’ve had difficulty trying to be perfect. I just cannot seem to do it. I am going to start having fun writing my aritcles and I bet I get more written, in less time.

Once again, Congrats Ann! You did us all a world of good.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 3:39 AM

It sounds like the MP3 became corrupt as it was being downloaded to you and then your browser cached the corrupt file. To fix this, hold the SHIFT key down and reload the MP3 file: (this will dump your cache).

Alternatively, try loading the above MP3 URL in another browser (FireFox, IE, Safari, Chrome, etc) that hasn’t cached the failed downloaded file attempt.

You need a spark to get you started?

Find your “WHY” and the “HOW” will figure itself out.

ie: Some good WHY’s include: To build traffic to your website, expand your market exposure & credibility, to find new customers, build your personal brand, and attract high profile media interviews to name just a few.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 4:08 AM

skinCare writes:

Thanks for the interview. It really
inspired me to write more articles.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 7:09 AM

Jordan Cheng writes:

Thanks so very much Chris and Ann for the generous sharing!
There are more useful and powerful ideas in the short 3-page interview than many other thick ebook.

Kudos to you guys!

Jordan Cheng

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Lesia Gregory writes:

This is my second post relating to this interview because I have learnt so much from it. Furthermore, I am learning alot from the varied comments and 5 page reflection that Chris wrote.

Also, in an attempt to reach my goal of 100 articles by Christamas, I wrote 5 shorter quality articles yesterday, averaging 500 words. For me this is a great accomplishment because in the past I found it difficult to write anything beneficial in under 900 words. However, I now know that it can be done.

After listening to the interview I realized the key is breaking up these long articles into several parts (unique articles) with the help of bullet points.

Hoping to write 3 – 4 more articles today.

Thanks again Chris and Ann.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Joi writes:

Chris and Ann – Thank you both so much for the encouragement and motivation.

You just lit a fire under me!

I opened up my EzineArticles text editor as soon as I finished reading the interview.

Since I work from home, there’s just no excuse for me not to be writing more articles. I’m on fire, now, I have a Starbucks within minutes from my house and I’m flat out about to get busy!

Thanks for all the work you do, Chris. You’re a great help to all of us.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Lalitha Brahma writes:

Hi Chris and Ann

Thanks for helping us by providing a transcript and audio.

“After you listen to the interview or read the notes, what key point(s) did you take out of this as it applies to your unique situation?”

Key points that I took:
1. Develop a habit and and bring article writing in your schedule.
2. I too am passionate about expressing myself, but I get stuck when I want to convey by way of simple steps, tips etc. Doing both these is like pressing gas and break in a car at the same time. I learned from Ann that it is OK to write passionately in the beginning, just keep writing, reviewing the author report, key words. Then use the statistics to create simple quality, easy to grasp articles.
3. I am now inspired to let go off writer’s block and write more articles.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 12:51 PM

James C. Hardy writes:

I’m happy to have read the pdf and listened to the mp3. I now have a real dedication to getting over the 50-article milestone enroute to the 250+ article mark. This also gave me a re-dedication to defining my marketing methods. Thank you.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Shawn Drewry writes:

In order to be this successful like Ann, you have to look at your job as not being work and actually love what you do..:-)

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Elizabeth L. writes:

Thank you for sending me the interview. I will take several points and learning to use them. I appreciate the reminder about the importance of keywords and the bullets being reader friendly. I will read it again and again.

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about as another benefit of writing a large number of articles. You make a lot fewer mistakes and missteps in the composition. I finally got rid of smart quotes (whew, that was learning curve since i’m the contraction queen!). I notice now if i use dashes or elipses and because i’m writing so often i’m typing better and misspelling things less frequently. (although i just had to correct misspelling!) so, everything gets easier, not just the mental process. and that’s a bonus, because correcting from my previews in the beginning was quite a frustrating experience! thanks for all the dialogue, it’s really helpful.

Comment provided December 3, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Gisele Perez writes:

I loved this interview. Ann, you’ve inspired me, and so glad to “meet your acquaintance”.

Comment provided December 3, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Zahzel writes:

Newbie here
Now I see I should set a goal to write a minimum of 50 ezines a month – like 2 a day….
Thank You.

Comment provided December 4, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Well, I just want to remind everyone that 250 articles in six months is about 42 articles per day. So for those that completed the 30 articles in 30 days challenge, you should be able to do this by slightly increasing your volume and committing yourself to Bonsai Run of 42 articles per month for 6-months straight. That is very impressive.

Comment provided December 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Robert writes:

Uh, Lance, isn’t 250 articles in six months 42 articles a month, not 42 articles a day? But to anyone out there, what is the maximum quality articles you’ve written in a day? Thanks.

Comment provided December 9, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Whoops Typo!

Good catch, sorry about that Robert, it’s just with 15K articles now; it’s hard to re-adjust my math. Ha ha ha. But in all seriousness, there are many folks that write eBooks that are between 50 and 200 pages in 2-3 days. And I believe someone who really knows their stuff can write anywhere from 10,000 to 18,000 words a day using voice software and really getting serious – then spending some 3-hours editing. I know that is possible, and there are classes you can take that teach you how, I had to learn the hard way.

Also Robert one has to ask if the quality you seek is grammar or information. As I’ve seen tons of articles in the main stream media that are quite readable and grammatically correct, but they did not tell you a darn thing? What are they worth? Well, I’d submit to you NOTHING>

Last night I sat down and write 5-quality articles 550 – 890 words each in about three hours, having no distractions. One issue I take is with SEO writers that bang out junk of no value, or for AdSense only sites that place information tidbits that you can find on WikiPedia, when WikiPedia is more in-depth. What is the value of those articles? To the world Zero, to the writer; oh some little trickle payment of $ .04 per day on click-ad revenue, serving absolutely no purpose.

Quality is an interesting subject. And I find many folks attempt to “trash me” out of jealousy, I know because they’ll go an rate my articles “one star” and do 10-20 in 5 minutes. Fact is they cannot read them that fast, so they click on an article in a mean-spirited huff. It’s just nonsense and vindictive petty folks sitting on their Quality Toadstool “ribbitting” away. I feel bad for them and their miserable and pitiful lives of desperation, but really, I’ve earned everything in my life from hard work, so I don’t give it another thought other than an empathetic sorrow, you know?

One record setting month I wrote 1,234 articles in 30-days. I used voice and how was the quality that month? I’d say it was in the 80%. Which is not good enough for me or for you, Robert, but for many it would be nearly their best efforts. I can say this, one’s writing improves over time, so everyone is in a different place in there writing, quality and ability to depart information.

A super knowledgeable person in their field should be able to write 10-articles per day, spending a normal day of 10-14 hours (which is how much the average small business person works). Of course, at that rate they will run out of knowledge in approximately 20-30 days, unless they are absolutely in the top tier of their industry.

I recently noted one high-output author here, who hires writers out of India for $3.00 per article. I know because they were late paying him once and they contacted me to see if I would hire them to write my articles. No, I write my own, thank you, but that does prove 2-things. (1) The World really is flat and (2) some day in 2009 someone is going to pass my number of articles.

*Note; This comment was 546 words and took 10-minutes. Minor editing and it could easily be made into an article.

Comment provided December 10, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Robert writes:

Oh, so you really might write 42 articles a day.

I’m a professional writer myself. I’ve had publishing commitments requiring me to turn out a steady 6,000 carefully considered words a day for months on end (although I was going ga-ga about month number eight). I’m picky about spelling and grammar, but I’m an author, not an editor.

I’m with you on the issue of originality. I have no desire to put my name on someone else’s work. And while there probably is a purpose for someone ]buying up articles from India at $3 each, although off hand I can’t imagine what it is, I write from my passion, from my own experience, from what’s unique to me that might be of value to someone else out there, somewhere.

Oddly enough, I’ve found it easier to get readership through print channels. Thanks to some highly creative publishers I have up to 600,000 readers for some of my books, while EzineArticles, well, nothing remotely approaching that, not even 2,000 readers. The thing is, my biggest print market now is India, and I haven’t got a clue how faithful the Hindi translation is to my intentions. (I’d hate to go to India and find out I’m a well-known author of racy romantic novels.) I know online is the direction I have to go, but I don’t know where I’m going. And as for monetization, my earnings online are in the thousands but that’s literally about 0.1% of what I’ve earned in print. Monetization eludes me yet. I love writing, but I like the things money can buy, too.

Comment provided December 10, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Yes very true about the print VS. online. For instance, I know the circulation of my articles in the Trade Journals ranges from 20,000 to 180,000 and not everyone is going to read every article, but I’d say 85% of the folks scan thru the magazines and read a good portion of the articles, it’s my job to make a good article, so they come back and read the next one, and I hope to heaven that the person who writes the title, picks a good one, they do not always follow my suggestions in my submissions.

Now with regards to readership. Here at EzineArticles Online I have 7 million article views and 15,000 articles, and that is only 466 average article views, I’d say out of those 65% actually read the article, the rest click out, do not finish it, but hopefully some click to my website. But, we cannot stop the stats there, because I also have 250,000 article pick-ups and that means I might have 200-400 articles views at each of those too, so, we have to figure in that as well. Plus the link-backs, I have lots of those as well (est. 500,000 plus).

So, if we take your 2,000 article views here and multiply that times 20 re-prints of that article and say 200 articles views on each on 100 articles, all of a sudden the number is no longer 2,000 it is 400,000 you see. We must not forget about that either.

Yes, I am laughing because I read a spy novel where the translator kept changing the endings of the novels and made some guy famous in exactly the same way you mention it.

Robert, I went to your Blog, great information on natural health, I book marked it of course, excellent!!!! Very good writing style, numbered lists and good information as well. I see why you are bothered by quality issues and time constraints VS other types of writing gigs, I cannot blame you. I think this online article venue is a good bit about attaining targeted traffic. Then it’s up to you to turn the traffic or viewer into a customer of some type?

Comment provided December 10, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Matthew Loop writes:

Very solid interview with good content, Chris and Ann! I believe I still have some work to do. I think I have around 65 active articles but I’d like to crank-out at least triple that amount next year. My goal is one a day at the moment but I think I could do two. I’d like to also make them high-quality with large use value associated.

I’m not crazy about getting them outsourced to India and not have the quality be there. That would hurt your credibility, I would imagine.

Thanks again:)

Comment provided December 10, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Lesia Gregory writes:

Good Day All,

I have been following the comments on this post since it was uploaded and have commented on the value of the interview in earlier posts.

Recently, I noticed that come persons have been talking about outsourcing article writing. Well, as a Librarian, writing is one of my first loves and I always try to make my articles as unique as possible.

Today I saw something that was a bit troubling. A few months ago I wrote a 4 part article that was very lengthy, unique and filled with a lot of valuable information.

While on the internet I discovered that someone actually took my articles and revamped them. They replaced some words and changed up some paragraphs causing the articles to sound like garbage. Although there is a link leading to my website at the end of the articles I am displeased with what they did, especially because I did not give them permission and persons reading the articles may be turned off by its poor grammar etc.

Has this ever happened to anyone else, and if yes, how did you handle it? I would really appreciate some suggestions.

I recently got 9 articles approved by EzineArticles and I have 17 awaiting approval. I wouldn’t like to know that the same thing will happen to these articles. Especially after spending so much time researching, writing and editing.

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Gisele Perez writes:

The very first article I submitted to EzineArticles was lifted whole and put on someone else’s blog w/o crediting me. Fortunately, I was getting Goggle alerts on my name and company name ( the company name was in the article so I caught it). I worte to the person and let them know Ezine’s guidelines and asked them to please remove the article, which they did. IF they will not, you can contact the hosting company and let them know what has happened. EzineArticles can offer you some help in this area.

I;d like to know how you have 17 articles pending, When I submitted my 11th article Ezine sent back a response saying I would have to wait until my 10th one was approved to submit anymore as my status would be changing. IT didn’t make me happy since my 11th article in son DEcember celebrations and Ezine sometimes takes quite a while to approve articles.

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Lesia Gregory writes:

Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions, I may have to look into taking that approach if I want to protect my image. Hopefully I can locate the company name.

To answer your question – I also encountered that problem when I had the basic status, but now that I got an upgrade I am allowed to submit more than 10 articles.

Thanks again

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 6:03 PM

I too have had this problem with the dirty content bandits! They are pirates in the sea of article authors hijacking our work and holding for ransom and AdSense change. Unfortunately, they leave our names on and ruin the article by placing in their “key word links” and that makes us look stupid and horrified. Plus it makes us look like we are the ones doing it. I do not blame you for being upset at all.

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Gisele Perez writes:

This is a good reminder to everyone out there to get Google Alerts. I get several now on my name, my business name and a few keyword topics on which I write.

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Robert writes:

I’ve had this issue, too, although it seems to be episodic. For a while, a blogger in China who pretty obviously could not understand any of the articles he was ripping off very well was just adding enough words, he apparently thought, to make articles his “own.” For instance, my article on “Do Diabetics Need Statin Drugs” became “American Say Diabetic Needing Of Satan Drugs!” Worse, his ripoff of my article ranked higher on Google than either my ezinearticle or related articles on my site.

I’m afraid this comes with the territory. We can eventually outlast those who would plagiarize from us.

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Robert is correct, you can outlast the content thieves. Focus, on what you are good at. Focus hard, understand the road ahead is not always going to be easy. And in reality if it was too easy everyone would be doing it.

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Lesia Gregory writes:

Based on all that was said I realize that this really comes with the online territory and that I have to press on.

Starting tomorrow we will definitely set up Google alerts.

It is also good to have a place like this where we can help each other along the way.

Thanks for all the great input.

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

This too has happened to me. The keywords were changed, but the resource box remained the same. It is article vomit to me, as Chris may call keyword stuffing of articles.

I was notified through Google Alerts about this article. I didn’t know what to do about it and have done nothing. I started to confront him on his blog, but thought it would be a no win situation.

I bookmarked sili kaghyi’s blog and see that now he has ruined someone else’s work with dirty language.

It is extremely upsetting.

Shirley Bass

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Well, it certainly has been helpful tracking everyone here. I’ve had people rip my stuff off, but i’m going to follow Lance & Robert and keep writing. The Satan blooper is a good one, and of course that would get higher ratings! i guess i could work satan in if i “misspelled” satin… and the bride wore satan… (is that a perfume?)

but i must say i think of this as popular writing. the more articles i have the less precious the individual articles are and the more important the message becomes behind what i’m trying to say in new ways about why a wedding ceremony can facilitate a good marriage. i don’t like it when i show up on a dubious massage site, but i’m not sure if the people reading those sites are likely to use my stuff or bruit my name about! (i have had some interesting people sign up to follow my twitter account, however!) sometimes i challenge it, sometimes i don’t. i remember reading my first google alerts very excitedly when i first started writing. wow! someone picked up my article meaningful, meaningful, smut, meaningful smut meaningful. aiii!

every time somebody comments here, i go and look at your stuff. people are doing amazing work. and it’s great to see Lance’s comments up next to people just starting out. i like knowing you’re out there plugging along in a community of writers.

Comment provided December 11, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Gisele Perez writes:

Shirley, I would confront the creep on his blog. Maybe you’ll embarrass him into changing his ways- but then, I tend to be confrontative about these kind of things.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Maybe that is the way to attack this problem.

I didn’t want him to rip off all my articles and abuse them, after I had my say. I also didn’t want my name to appear on Google Alerts as being a jerk and unreliable.

I too will take Robert’s and Lance’s advice and keep writing, ignoring the bad, unless it involves my name personally.

Thanks for the advice. I wonder if there is a Google complaint center for undesirables?

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 7:05 AM

I’ve studied this extensively and I can tell you without doubt that Google is not where your complaint should be heard. They are already very efficient at making sure content thieves don’t rise to traffic power over the long haul (and that is their job in terms of this issue).

Best way is via direct contact with the content thief followed by an email, phone call or legal demand letter to the web host. A lot of content thieves are just incompetent rather than malicious.

If the splog is hosted by Google, here is a link to the “report a spam blog” tool.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 7:09 AM

Robert writes:

It’s a matter of where you want to put your energies. When I first started blogging, I used copyscape to track down the content thieves. I confronted them. They all eventually either provided me with a link or took down the “Satanic” content.

Now I’m not so sure it’s worth the effort. In the time it takes to deal with one content thief, I can write at least two articles. Not that I mean to compare myself with Stephen King, but do you suppose anyone can really rip off Stephen King?(Mr. King, if you’re out there, you of course could enlighten us.) Establish your brand, and nobody is going to be able to rip it off. That probably takes more than 250 articles in six months, though

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Thanks Chris!

Yes, it is blogger that this person is using. I will take care of it now. You gave me some sense of hope.

He completely destroyed the author’s work today with trashy words.

Okay, on to better things now. Thanks again for the help.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Robert writes:

I have to admit I was a little skeptical when I read the original post, but I had lots and lots of “material” that wasn’t used in the edits of my various books, so I decided to convert it to EzineArticles.

I’ve gone from 75 to 150 EzineArticles in about a week (counting today’s submissions). My site traffic has doubled, but my Adsense revenue has tripled. 250, here we come.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Robert is correct, indeed, this has been my conclusion. It takes time to chase these rats around the Internet. They put up new sites constantly. Each day my Google Alert for my name yields 5-10 uses of my articles somewhere. Whether it be print, website, report, patent, cite, blog or AdSense baloney.

Sometimes the sites are taken down by GoogleBlog in a few days, sometimes the culprits are black-balled by the search engines. Sometimes they just stay up until the domain name expires on a temporary VISA; where you get to enjoy a domain name for 90-days. Then they fall off.

Often the sites stay up, but lose search engine rankings over time and the content thief gets bored, does not renew the domain or blog. There must be terabytes of crap out there.

Yes, there are the diehard content thieves that go on and on and on, eventually you are going to have to do something about them. It’s aggravating no doubt, but with all that said Robert is correct. You can spend your life pissed off at these scounrels or you can spend your time on more productive endeavors like producing quality content.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Robert writes:

Here’s a question I never thought I’d have cause to ask, but here goes:

Is it possible to submit too many articles too fast?

I’m getting a nice boost in traffic from the 70+ articles I’ve sent to EzineArticles this week, but I’m not getting very many published. Is is possible 10 a day is too much, too soon? Thanks for all your inputs.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM

my republishing numbers are down, although my readership is up. (i’m still awed by Lance’s 466/article!) i’m not sure whether that’s because there are simply more people writing in my field (it’s gone up 1,000 since i started tracking my ranking – from 2,000-3000), or whether i’m suddenly writing non-republishable articles, even though i circle around the same topics… But I remember Chris’s saying that you got more of a boost from submitting a bunch at once, whether that was only reads or also republishing… Chris?

and robert, thanks for the manuscript idea. i’ll see whether i can stand to open it up again! and congrats on moving ahead like that.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Robert, actually, I have an opinion about this, as over time I have been watching the article pickup counts and the viewer counts. Here is my conclusion. If you are posting to one specific category, I would not post more than 6 per week and 3-days apart. So, let’s say 3 on Monday and 3 on thursday.

If you are posting in several categories, like I often do then you can post 3 at a time in each category and 3 more in each category 3-days later. I have noticed that if I write lots of articles on Franchising, which is normally a very high traffic category, because AdSense pays more in that category, due to the fact franchisors are willing to pay a lot for potential leads and traffic; my findings are if I post 15 in one day, they are not likely to be picked up by other websites as often as if I post them slower.

You see, I want other sites to pick up my articles thru syndication, this drives back-links and massive traffic from all different places. And generally all targeted traffic. The article views on this website although I am at 7 million now, are only a drop in the bucket of the total article views or even traffic that I have generated from all the locations of all my articles across the internet.

Now with that said, eventually a “franchising website” will stumble upon my articles in the “Franchising Category” and they will start up loading them, post them at the rate of 3-6 articles a week. Thus the 6 articles a week seems to be the magic number and the rate at which the sites that collect these syndicated articles want them.

Plus most EZINES that collect articles here and there are OH MY GOD a ton of them, generally send out once per week. So, if you post 3-6 they will pick the best that fits their needs or focus of that newletter that week, so you have given them options, which means they are more likely to pick yours than someone else here in that category. Some of these Ezine Newletters have insane followings and 10s of 1000s of subscribers you see. What’s that worth? A Lot!

Another good reason for you to continue to write your quality articles at a smart pace. See that point? Now mind you, I normally do not go around sharing my findings with everyone, but after writing 15,000 articles this is what I have discovered. And therefore a strategy I use.

Sometimes I get lazy and write 15-20 articles on a single subject and post them all at once. This bulks me up in a given category and eventually these articles will find a home (s) but, it’s best to write in 3’s or 6’s or 12’s and then post them at a pace that those needing the content want them. In my opinion.

Now, Chris has discussed the bulk submissions with your current content, suggesting that you just upload it all in one swoop. Yes, you can do this and those articles will eventually find themselves in the search engine and many will find homes. Still, I advise to do 3-6 per week in your category if you want to totally dominate and have awsome traffic consistently over a long period of time.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM

One thing that we do not talk a lot about here at EzineArticles is the fact that over-time your articles cook. When they have time to cook they are getting traffic and that adds up. And you must understand I started posting here in 2005 and posted some 1500 articles of previous works that were modified into articles. Then in 2006 and 2007 I went nuts and wrote a mega-amount of articles. It seems all the articles that I originally wrote are all well over 1500 article views. All the articles in 2006 are in the 500-600 range.

Yes, Anne you are competing against others in your field. I have written 1,000s of articles on news and politics and remember we just came off an election year, so that helped. And I have mega articles on innovation, future concepts, science innovation, aerospace invention ideas. Those are esoteric, literally “NO” competition.

Same with Humanities and Philosophy, hardly any, and I write on Business Topics, which has lots of competition, but mega interest and traffic. How to articles for business are picking up due to the economic conditions and small businesses scrambling to make money. I’ve seen huge traffic in careers, human resources, colleges, etc. due to job unemployment rates creeping up here in the bottom of the recession.

The concept of submitting a bunch at once is one that Sean Mize seems to be up to, literally owning the category and putting up so much content that it would be hard for anyone to not get drowned out. Still, his strategy is to “Dump” submit, three times per week. I imagine he owns that category now, thanks to his team of writers from India?

Still, one should note that for someone like Robert to write such excellent and informative articles, he’ll surely get the eyes of the EzinePublishers that include his articles in their newsletters as well. One good article picked up with an Ezine with a huge subscriber base is worth a lot of traffic. Just like getting your company featured in a Wall Street Journal Article.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Robert writes:

Lance, this is very helpful. I have at least 1,000 articles from a book that’s been righted back to me, so I’ll just experiment with various combinations of content submission and see what happens. This process gets kind of addictive, isn’t it?

Shirley Bass, for years and years and years I never got less than 5 stars on Amazon, and then apparently I ticked someone off. He wrote a review listing all of the things my book “should have said,” quoted verbatim from my book! I think there must be a point that you just get enough exposure you meet some bad actors. And I can tell you that if you publish enough books, you’ll have stories about publishers, good and bad. But we all have to deal with the sabotage and plagiarism issues from where we are, not where we’re not. Hope you have so much success with EzineArticles soon you don’t care about the plagiarists.

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Robert, if you join the Premium Feature you can post all the articles now and have them post on the date you choose, it’s a killer feature and highly worth it for your exact use here.

“Spare the Enemy!”

Comment provided December 12, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Doing the “BIG DUMP” of articles at once rather than spacing over time nets you more traffic because you have more articles attracting traffic over more days than if you spread the article submissions out over time.

I believe both strategies have value though… meaning, if you’re sitting on a bunch of content, do the BIG DUMP and then also do the submission over time consistency thing if you want the best shot at success.

Comment provided December 13, 2008 at 6:59 AM

Chris, I agree as I have watched my articles enjoy the equivalent of the Time/Value of money and compounded interest. The longer the articles have to cook in the directory, the more value you get over time. I also know that providing content over time at a certain pace really helps your articles and those who run Ezines or online newsletters too. So, we agree that the best strategy is to do both.

Comment provided December 13, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Robert, There will always be the 10% who thrives on turning something good into ugly. We can’t all be of the same opinion. Some are just mean spirited. Some are as Chris explained, incompetent rather than malicious.

I’ve had a few articles in the top 10 on Google, so exposure is more important to me, rather than the content thieves.

Thanks for the wishes of success!

Shirley Bass

Comment provided December 13, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Actually, and while I don’t have evidence to support this claim… it’s my gut feeling that the content thieves being discussed here reflect about .1% of the market place; not anywhere close to 10%.

Can you imagine if 1 in every 10 Publishers was a content thief? 1 out of 1000 perhaps is closer to reality and most likely higher than reality (ie: I think it is probably less than .1%).

As far as percentage of Publisher people who are incompetent; well, that’s certainly past 10%! ;-)

Comment provided December 13, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Jill Koenig writes:

How in the heck did I miss this great interview until now?? Thank you for the great actionable tips. Took tons of notes and reassessing a few things…

Thanks Again Chris and Ann!

Jill Koenig

Comment provided July 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Mike writes:

I want to be like Ann. In order to be successful you need to love your work! :)

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 4:32 AM