Traps and How To Escape Them – Article Template

Here’s an article writing template idea for you to use: The “Traps & How To Escape Them” article template!

We’ve all been trapped from time to time on almost every plane of possibility ranging from physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, financially, etc… and you get to save the day with your expertise by delivering the “escape plan” followed with a Resource Box where they can learn how to further escape from the trap.

Here’s how the “Traps & How To Escape Them” article template works:

1. Make a list of every trap you know someone in your ideal target market has fallen into on purpose or by accident.
  2. Important: Only list (1) trap per article but you can list a single or multiple ways to escape it in each article.
  3. First paragraph clearly defines the “TRAP” along with why it’s bad to be in that type of trap.
    • Example: Overtraining for your next triathlon event might be the trap and it’s bad because overtraining can lead to burnout and decreased performance.
  4. Optional: Stir the pain up by selling them on the ideas as to why being caught in the trap won’t help them achieve their goals.
  5. Optional: Sympathize with the reader as to why they are not alone and that many before them have fallen into this trap for the following 2-7 reasons.
  6. Next, setup a sub-head to clearly show them you are now going to help them “ESCAPE” from the trap they have found themselves into.
    • Important: Make it extremely obvious where in your article the reader can quickly scan to grasp your escape route ideas. Don’t hide this from them deep inside your article body or mislead the reader to think they have to visit your website to find the escape plan.
  7. Give the reader a clear path from their current ‘locked up’ position of being in a trap to how to escape the trap via your unique ideas, strategies, tips, suggestions & secrets.
  8. Optional: After you’ve helped them to escape the trap, show them how to never get caught again in the trap.
  9. Conclude with a quick summary of the trap as you defined it; the most common ways to escape it and how the reader will benefit by following your advice.

So, get started with step #1, brainstorming all of the different traps your ideal target reader may find themselves in as it relates to your niche and expertise. You’ll be amazed how fast the rest of this article will seemingly almost write itself once you do the hard part of identifying the most common traps & your specific advice for how to escape.

Geoff Cummings writes:

I like it! Some practical suggestions there on the `problems and solutions` theme. Get my thinking cap on.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Debbie Deane writes:

Awesome information, but this site always provides useful ideas and concepts that can be used now!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Angela Wiggan-Bainton writes:

Good sensible points that allows an individual to work their way through to goals and outcomes. Thank you!

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 1:31 PM

michael Gallion writes:

Very helpful and to the point. Writing for the web requires a different approach: efficiency is the key. This information demonstrates how to achieve efficiency.
Nice job!

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Kim Wulfert writes:

The topic is right on for the trapped economic times we are in. Good thinking! Thanks for laying out the steps to make it super easy to share.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Henrietta Hakes writes:

Keeping it simple, just the way I like it. Thanks for the great tips. I look forward to more.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Bob Burns writes:

Sounds good. I will try it.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Brunhild Stuerckow writes:

Excellent ideas, this is what we all need today

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Nice! I also like this idea … Do you make these common _________ mistakes? Can be easily applied like the one you suggested.

Actually, I got that one from Brian Clark of Copyblogger.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Kathy writes:

I love this article template, especially in the face of what people worldwide are facing economically. I am a career coach, and with job layoffs, this gives me a perfect way to approach the job search strategy topic in a way that prevents job seekers from falling into the same traps that got them into jobs with no future.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Luke Hawthorne writes:

Excellent Christopher. Thanks ever so much. I often sit in front of my computer for an hour before I get an idea of what to write about that day.

This will definitely get my imagination into gear. It’ll make me much more efficient and probably a better writer.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Lynne Lee writes:

This is a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration, yet another inspiring article template.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Nigel Collin writes:

This is really good stuff.

I teach media and television presenting and we call this ‘the pit’ but I like the step by step approach.

I will be using this.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Jeff Herring writes:

Hi Chris!

This is a good explanation of the template. I especially like these words:

…”by delivering the ‚¬“escape plan‚¬ followed with a Resource Box where they can learn how to further escape from the trap.”

because it teaches the importance of the resource box flowing out of the article.

Another variation on this one is to ask in your title “Are You Falling Into the Most Common Trap in _________”

Have a good ThanksGiving,

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Marc writes:

First rate post! Thanks. Can’t wait to try this out.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Audrey writes:

Great suggestion Chris. I’m going to go back through my old articles and see if any of them can fit into this how to fix something mold.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Man Singh writes:

Priorties have to be fixed for point to point go ahead. It prevents our mind from diversion unattended and uncalled for actions. Many agencies trap our attention and mind where degree of involvement increases that leads ut to trouble. So the article is useful if applied in our daily routine. The diversion our mind to unplanned schedule put us in well of unescapable trap.

Comment provided November 25, 2008 at 11:20 PM

your really good, thanks for the good explanations, I wonder where you get your insights about things, I envy you for that.. hope that I can make quality articles too in the future

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 2:31 AM

I like this because it is indeed, a sub-genre of the Problem/solution Template. It makes sense and the article author that uses it, will find that they are speaking to the direct needs and emotional concerns of their readers. Good call on this template idea.

I think many of us have used this template without even realizing it. But please do not fall into the TRAP of: complacency in your article writing. If you do you will find that you will bore your loyal readers and they will click out literally to your articles. Rather, you need to take this New Template and refine it so that it:

1.) Fits your style
2.) Speaks to your reader
3.) Solves their problems
4.) Captures their interest
5.) Compels them to act (clicking your link).

It’s time you added this template to your arsenal of article authoring techniques, so please think on it.

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 3:52 AM

Paul Palmer writes:

I like the idea of using a template to write an article. I’m just starting out here as a newbie and I will give it a go. REgistered a while back but never have got to publishing yet so this is going to give me the structure I need to post for myself. thank you

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 5:25 AM

Lisa Granger writes:

Good idea! I believe I may have some articles like this already, I’ll just have to reorganize them according to the template.

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Linda Slasberg writes:

This template is an excellent one. It can deal with life in all its stages.

I will work on it

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Jeff Jones writes:

For all of us who can struggle with content from time to time it’s helpful to have a method for generating articles or posts that are tailored towards solving a problem.

Keeps the purpose of writing honest.

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Soren Breiting writes:

Thanks Chris for this useful template.

Fellow writers just be aware of that people aren’t searching for traps or problems but solutions, so the title should include this.

A classic is the style
‘Getting Out of Dept without falling for fake offers’.

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for another great template! I reviewed most of them just over the weekend and will gladly add this one. I especially like the two optional items for variation.

Thanks for the example title, Soren.

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM

PlantBuddy writes:

Things often seem easier than they seem and I have found myself falling for it and then find I’m in a trap. Great article. Will try to use this approach in my writing. Drop by if you admire plants and flowers.

Comment provided November 26, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Ronald Franks writes:

Super idea and gift to us ezine contributors and I agree that once trap and way out is identified the article will likely write itself.

Ronald Franks

Comment provided November 27, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Olwen Anderson writes:

Thanks! A really unique perspective on an article. Of course we read them to solve a problem, but its a great clue for copywriting text too.

Comment provided November 29, 2008 at 3:43 AM

Charles T writes:

Love the idea. I’m implementing it ASAP!.

Comment provided November 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Ord Wilson writes:

What I like about this idea is it’s broad enough
and flexible enough to cover any niche market.
I am new to article marketing and this is a great idea
I plan on using, that has shown me the power of simple, efficient and effective article marketing.

Comment provided November 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Marcia Robinson writes:

This is a good template. I still get writer’s block sometimes regardless of the tried and true formulas out there.

Comment provided December 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Reva Kussmaul writes:

This is a really good idea. Thank you. I like addressing the pain someone has around what each of us does and then bringing the solution to them via our article.

Reva Kussmaul, Remodeling Coach
Eye for Detail, Inc. #811341

Comment provided December 2, 2008 at 11:23 AM

For an experiment, I tried writing the “Trap-Escape” template as an experiment for a series of articles that I just completed. Turns out that these articles are very valuable to print magazines. That means they are very much desired by online media and to Ezine Publishers too!

My articles were based on the Franchising Industry. But, I immediately became away that ANYONE who is a consultant should be writing no less than 1:5 ration of all the articles they write using this format.

Why? It seems to be that the “problem-solution” template which is very similar is something that works for experts of industry and consultants, because this is how people (readers) think, when they are combing thru articles to read on the internet. You really should be thinking here. My experiment has proven that this is some “bitchen” advice! Whoops? Maybe I am not allowed to say that?

Comment provided December 6, 2008 at 9:33 PM

opungregar writes:

Thanks! A really unique perspective on an article. Love the idea, and i’am very intresting and hope writer’s to my website sometimes.

Comment provided January 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM

More great tips from EzineArticles. I’m inspired to crank out a few new articles again thanks to this and the other “templates” ideas suggested in your email.

Comment provided May 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Michael Lennon writes:

Nice way to build content and unique way to try and get new ideas flowing… really never thought of it as problem solving exercise… I just need to think outside of the box to get some great stories going.

Comment provided May 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Coach Horn writes:

Great comments, good tools here for the tool box. selecting the right tool for the right job is so important

Comment provided May 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM

This template idea is awesome! I could see it saving me a lot of time.

Comment provided May 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Dermaroller writes:

Love stuff which makes the whole process a bit more idiot proof. This collection of ideas is spot on! Nice one

Comment provided May 11, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I love this approach. We use it a lot for “10 Thing You Gotta Know About …. “. Personally, I prefer the number 7, but then I’ve always been a bit superstitious!

Comment provided May 11, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Deb Younkin writes:

Great info and inspiration. This template seems especially helpful for at different approach creating unique and inviting articles! Thanks.

Comment provided May 11, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Louis writes:

I learned a lot from both the article and follow up comments. That leads me to believe that this style in fact gets the audience involved which is what we all are looking to do. Great Template.

Comment provided May 12, 2009 at 5:16 AM

Electrolux writes:

Great advice. By singling out only one trap per article you can easily create numerous articles with all the traps listed.

Comment provided May 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Maiya Rose writes:

Thank you for this series of Article templates. They really get the ideas flowing. I do find it easier to write with a framework in mind, especially when I have many ideas for a particular very-tight, niche topic.

Excellent support guys! Thank you.
Maiya Rose

Comment provided May 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Tom Cosgrove writes:

Another good post; I especially liked Lance’s comments that a good headline using the “trap” method can get your article published in the print media also. Now that’s leverage: maximum results with minimum output.

– Tom Cosgrove