Your Article Reports

The EzineArticles Developer team asked me to ask you for some feedback so that we can figure out which direction to take your article reports in terms of improvement.

Right now, we’re displaying Article ID, Article Title, View Counts, EzinePublisher Counts, URL’s Clicked, Emailed (how many times your article is forwarded to a friend), # of Comments, Votes, Rating and the Published Date. Seems like an incredible amount of data is being displayed that may be too much for most members.

If you’d like to have a hand in the direction we improve your article reports, we’d like you to reply to blog entry with 3 things:

1. What is your monitor size and screen resolution?
    (Example: 17″ monitor / 1024×1280 resolution)
  2. If you could only change one thing about your EzineArticles “My Article Reports” to make them more immediately valuable to you, what would you want changed specifically?
  3. The top 3 statistics ranked in order of importance to you for each of your articles is? (ie: View Count, URL Clicks, etc…)

Optionally, you could tell us if the charts and graphics we’re auto-generating on the fly are of any value? Example: The top most viewed articles or the pie chart that identifies your total article count by which author produced the content? (This only shows up if you have more than one alt-author setup with live published articles)

Jennifer writes:

1. 17 inches… 1024×768

2. Ah… I can’t give you 1 thing. I’d say get rid of article id#, emailed, ratings, comments, and votes… in that order.

3. Views, url clicks, ezinepublisher, pub date. Of course article title as well. :)

Everything else I hope disappears and “1 big new thing” replaces their space. What that new thing is, I don’t know. But you and your team are coming up with a lot of new things.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Private replies received: (this entry will expand as I receive additional replies off-blog)

14.1″ monitor / 1280×800
Recommended putting a TITLE tag when you hover over the Article Title to show the article summary to help remind the author what they wrote.

17″ monitor

13″ monitor – Leave COMMENTS feedback on the list. – Like it as is.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Just wanted to talk about the wonderful ‚¬“traffic search terms‚¬ now that I used it on a hurry, because I stopped writing articles to finally finish writing my ebook, and I had to write at least an article today! (before reading the entire ebook now that it’s ready and sending it to my editor, etc!)

So, today on a hurry, I looked for one of my last articles’ traffic search terms (about depression, my moral obligation ‚¬€ I can’t abandon my readers) and then I looked at an older one’s terms, and then I quickly made a combination, discovering a super title! I love it! This feature is very practical, especially when you are on a hurry!

But now that I decided to post my comment (on a hurry) in the old thread about this matter, I saw your new article. I really don’t have time to care about today’s topic, forgive me!

But I can simply tell you that I like my articles’ report. I have no suggestions to give you anyway! For me everything is fine, and thank you for everything you show us there!

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 1:33 PM

19″ wide screen – 1440 x 900 resolution

I don’t need article ID. Make them more valuable? I dunno… maybe to email me once per week with the report or to remind me to go look at them since I tend to forget they are there.

1. Article Views – 2. URL Clicks -3. Profile Views

my thoughts: I don’t think ezinepublisher is accurate, since many folks take it just a copy and paste without ever clicking that link (can’t you deactivate c&p so they have to click the link?) I personally don’t care too much how many times it’s been emailed, but that’s probably just me.

I don’t much care about comments or votes either. I got notified when someone leaves a comment, so I really don’t need to see how many I have total.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Beverly writes:

Hello, there is a couple of things that comes to mind.
When displaying my articles, I would like to not see all the other adds next to my article.
Another thing is I am with a pet food company and I have a domain name and that is where a possible customer are just someone who wants to find out more and what I have to say about nutrition.
And on my article page there is the company I am with but with another rep .
I would like to see that part left out.
We as reps have our own domain name, and mine is 40062574 # if you go onto my article and not see the pet company name ad and look at the bottom of that website it is not my no: and this is on the same page as my article.
This person is benifiting from my page

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Beverly writes:

Hello, I just want to thank all of the editors for their expertise in making sure that all of us are treated equally.
To give us all the great opportunity to be able to see our articles out there in cyber space, for all who just want to get information they probably won’t find too many places.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 1:50 PM

So perhaps we could create a simplified report for the masses, and then an OCD type report for the rest who are data obsessed (I might be in that category).

For this thread, we’re only focused on the Article Reports within your membership authors area. There are zero ads in your members area.

The reason I asked for monitor size and resolution is so that we can simulate what you experience when you view your article reports.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Joel Kontinen writes:

1. 15.4″ monitor /1280 x 800

2. Is the article ID really necessary?

2. Article views, URL clicks, profile views.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Ok, 3 folks said:

*Article ID is not necessary*

Anyone want to make an argument that it’s necessary?

I can see how a member might copy and paste the article ID into their clipboard for the purposes of editing that article for whatever reason.

If no one makes a “pro-keep the article ID argument,” we’ll seriously consider removing it.

Updated: All of these arguments are largely about SCREEN REAL ESTATE. If you have less screen, everything becomes amplified whereas members with 24-30″ monitors have a completely different experience than the person with 14-17″.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 3:08 PM

1. 12.1 1024×768 (I would like a standing O, i’m a luddite and I could find this out. so there…)
2. i’m obsessive about checking, but don’t know that i’m getting enough traffic for any of it to be useful… but i find it fascinating… after all, it is about me!
3. views, clicktrhoughs and publishing… don’t know what profile view does for me, i might think it was important if i knew… i have had a couple of votes and i have to say it felt swell to know that people found it important! I haven’t used comments, but i’ve heard it’s a great way to increase your views?… but it allows me the chance to get in touch with other pros in the field and to let readers know what i’m thinking, so, i think that’s not a bad idea…

I think this is a great way to build a body of knowledge and expertise. as always, Chris and the rest of you fabu EAers, thanks.
celebrating life is what i do, and i’m celebrating yours!

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Concept: We’d never include PROFILE VIEWS as a line item under an articles’ stats as it’s unrelated data.

One is a measure how popular an article is vs. how popular your profile is.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I’m having a pause, after reading so much! and I saw many messages coming in the outlook from this blog!

I think that we should keep the article’s identity number. Why not? It may help us somehow, for reference, when we are talking with EA’s editors.

If we have problems with many articles submitted exactly the same day, we may prefer to simply give them their ID numbers, instead of copying all their titles!

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Terry Weber writes:

I like the information you supply as it is now.
Please leave as is.
(1) My (Mac) Monitor is 13″ wide. Res. ?
(2) Maybe add feedback or comments by readers
(3) URL is #1, View count is #2, Rating is #3

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 3:32 PM

My screen :

14.1‚¬ monitor – 1280€”800

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Jennifer writes:

As I understand it, the article Id won’t be going anywhere… that’ll still be part of the url pointing to your articles.

It’s just that it’s not needed in the author area.

How many members do you think have 24-30” screens? I’d guess 5-10%.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM

George Chernikov writes:

(1) 22 inch, 1680×1050 native resolution

(2) If there was one thing I could change, it would be to add a CTR column. As it stands, I have to export the values into Excel and re-calculate them every now and again. This would allow me to monitor better- and worse-performing articles to identify areas for continuous improvement

(3) View Count, URL Clicks, Ezine Publisher (though to be honest, I almost never look at the latter and focus mostly on the first two.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Jennifer writes:

Great suggestion with the CTR column, George! I like that idea.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Yes Jennifer, I didn’t think about that. The article’s ID is not really necessary in our page.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Hi all,

1. 1024 X 768 12″ PowerBook

2. Make it more visual, more like Google Analytics, currently very text heavy and too much meaningless data. For me, colour and charts are far easy to view. Extending the Google Analytics idea more, display calculated stats, not just those that are “counters” like article views. For example, URL clicks per view, maybe also have these compared to averages for each category across all your articles, and across all articles on EzineArticles in the same categories as yours. So we could see at a glance which of our articles were performing best in each category, and how they were performing relative to all other articles on EzineArticles in those categories.

3. Title, Views, URL Clicks.

ArticleID, Emailed, Votes and Rating are all pretty redundant for me.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM

If you eliminate the ID number, will that make it harder for you to find a problem article when an author contacts you?
If so, you could add alphabetical order in the selections links on top left. It would be easier for both of you.
Hope this makes sense.
The rest is fine. You guys just keep getting better and better. Thanks.

Comment provided October 15, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Mark Thompson writes:

19 inch 1280X1024

I’d love to be able to guage the performance of my articles against a niche median figure. So stats like my CTR, niche average CTR, Average views per article in the past 30/60/90 days . Really the more quantifiable the stats the better.

Views/Url clickthroughs/published

The graphical charts are useful it’s good being to able to check results at a glance…

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 3:50 AM

Marcia Hays writes:

I may be in the minority, but I have a 14″ monitor and a 12″ screen on my “old” laptop.

I am fairly new to EzineArticles, so I’m not really qualified to suggest any changes. But, the charts help me visualize at a glance how my articles are doing.

I do agree with Beverly about all of the ads next to the articles. It makes the screen page too busy. When I first got on EzineArticles it was a little confusing trying to navigate around on the page.

Other than that, I really appreciate having EzineArticles to get the “me” made available to so many and helping put me in a leadership role. THANKS!!

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 5:58 AM

Well, just found out why article ID is important. Received a notice that an article had been republished via Google Alerts but my stats do not reflect a change… my republished stats have not budged in days… anyone else seeing this? But i could send a message to support and include the ID which will make it easy for them to research.

keep article ID!

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Anthony writes:

1. 24″ – 1920-by-1200 (iMac)
2. Adding a Referring URL column so that we know where the traffic came from be helpful.
3. View Count, URL Clicks & CTR

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 8:31 AM

We purposely do not deliver the CTR data because our members already obsess on this stat with way too much energy when they should obsess on the ARTICLE COUNT stat (meaning, writing more articles). Obviously this opinion goes against giving ‘what the market wants’ which is a bit of a departure for our normal decision making process.

In addition, what is good for you as a member (high CTR) may be bad for our readership because it encourages you to NOT DELIVER VALUE in your article or TEASE instead of DELIVER.

There is a significant increase in articles being rejected for failing to deliver in the article body based on the promise made in the article title… and the primary driving motivational force is the author is trying to increase CTR at all costs.

If anything reporting wise, I think we’d like to help our members drive higher article VIEW COUNTS as it’s the primary stat where we both win at the highest level.

You want Referring URL? How specifically will this data be helpful for you? What specifically will you do with this data?

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 8:40 AM

I think that we have no reason to remove it. And we won’t need to open an article if we want see the article ID in the url.

Besides that, it’s not occupying too much space in our page!

On the other hand, if we could have other things more important and useful in our page and the article ID is taking their place, we should simply remove it, because it’s not indispensable.

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 8:51 AM

I didn’t give my opinion about our article report. Yesterday I didn’t have time to care about this matter.

Here is my suggestion:

Article ID / Article Title / Views / URL Clicks / Rating /

Emailed / Comments / Ezine Publisher / Pub. Date

(Vote? I don’t what it could possibly mean. I never had a vote.)

Comments at EzineArticles are more than rare, while rating is common, because it’s something easy and fast and you do it without revealing your identity.

I saw that a few people emailed my articles to their friends. This is an excellent free promotion, but it is quite rare.

I think we should encourage somehow our readers to send our articles to their friends! make this possibility better, easier, attractive, intelligent! I don’t know how.

Now, I don’t have time to read in details what everyone else said before, so I don’t know if I’m repeating what somebody else already said, but I would like to see in my page also

• How many of my articles are in the list of the most viewed ones,
  • !And how many are in the list of the most published ones (in each category).
Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 12:11 PM

To answer your question, if the Article ID is not in your article reports list has no bearing on whether it’s harder or easier for us to support you as a member.

We have an extensive set of internal tools designed to help us do member support.

We’ve moved the URL Clicks to the right of View Counts because it’s clear to us that after viewcounts, you care about URL clicks.

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Thank you, Chris! It is much better now!

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 2:47 PM

17″ moniter 1280×800 res

I would chage time it takes for approval

Clicks, views, profile views

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Allen Graves writes:

Any way to get follow up comments emailed without making a comment?

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM

We need the article ID, because if you find a mistake in an article you want to correct it. And I would like a click on the article ID that takes that number and places it into the “Edit this article” box from the article reports.

I am at 17″ on my laptop and full resolution. So, for me, I do not need to shrink the screen to fit all the stuff in, it displays nice for me.

However, I have considered the OLPC project and realize that folks from all over the world may have smaller “started computers” and it would be more inclusive to make things easy for them to read, but if they are at 12.1″ then it might be somewhat problematic to cut out the features or data points for everyone else. But you could do two-lines per article. i.e. Title and ID number under it. That would allow more horizontal space for viewing.

I would like to state that I am very happy with the way things are now. Not that I am resistent to change, but I am use to it and it works. I suppose it’s best to do what is best for everyone.

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

17 inchers – 4 of them – on my desk.

One of the things I’d like to be able to search and have a listing of is specific links within my articles. It would be awesome if I could pull up a list of all the articles that have a specific link inside them (for updating purposes) when I change a link or no longer carry a specific site for some reason or other.

Comment provided October 16, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Thank you, Lance, for your wise observation about the article ID!

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM

We added to our ‘to do’ list to give you the ability to subscribe via email to any articles comments or any comments here on the blog without becoming part of the conversation. Give us a bit and we’ll see what we can get done here.

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Allen Graves writes:

Thanks Chris. There are a lot of lurkers in the world. LOL

This will help us out a great deal, especially if you can do it with your articles as well.

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Shafir Ahmad writes:

1) 12.1″ 1024×768 (mostly)

2) 15.4″ 1280×800 (rarer)

3) 7″ 640×400 (rarest)

4) I would like to see the “article category” included in the author reports list

5) and remove – Article ID, Comments, Votes

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Here is a thought. For the columns:

Change these to:

This narrows the column to put more on the page for those with smaller screens.

Or you could put the titles of the categories going vertical and leave 5-6 spaces below in the horizontal data areas? That would narrow everything to fit? Just thinking out loud, I often have this problem myself when making spread sheets for business plans, this is why proformas are usually fold outs to turn the page side-ways. Unfortunately, computers cannot do fold outs.

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Jennifer writes:

Just to be clear on this. I have a 17” monitor and I see all the categories/columns fine.

I made my suggestions based on the thought that some of the things are irrelevant imo (comments, votes, ratings, etc)… not based on screen size and not being able to see all the columns.

Those irrelevant things can be stored elsewhere.

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Monitor 12″

I like it the way it is and there is nothing I would change. I do like Lance’s idea of shortening the tags.

View Count