Traffic Search Terms

Traffic Search TermsYou can now see which keywords and keyphrases were used to help find your EzineArticles!

This was not a project that happened over night: In fact, it’s taken us several months, several programmers, several new dedicated servers, and many many many terabytes of data in order to provide you with this critically important data that can immediately help you improve the quality of your articles…not to mention ROI (Return on Investment).

Here’s how it works:

• About 50% of our site visitors use a major search engine to find your articles.
  • When they do, they use a keyword or a keyphrase to find your content.
  • We database those referring keywords & keyphrases (starting with June Aug 2008 data forward).
  • All EzineArticles Members get FREE access to the top (5) referring keywords.
  • Premium Members get access up to the top (30) referring keywords.

What can you do with this keyword intelligence?

• By becoming aware how your target market finds your existing content, you can tailor new content to reinforce areas where you received market traction in frequency of interest.
  • Why write only what you want the market to know; Instead, write what the market tells you they want to know.
  • Increase your ability to get a higher return from articles you write in the future by being more targeted.

Some words of caution:

• We recommend that you LEAVE all of your existing articles exactly the way they are and that you use this information to help improve future new quality original articles.
  • You can’t begin to know all of the factors that lead to the keywords being used to search for your articles and therefore changing the past may hurt future traffic attraction power for your articles.
  • Just because the market mis-spells your content doesn’t mean we’ll allow you to use mis-spellings to attract that traffic. This is black and white for us that we do not allow mis-spellings in the article or article title.

Here is what Premium members will have access to:
(click on the image to see a higher-resolution version)
Traffic Search Terms Premium Members Get

You can also download a CSV (spreadsheet) access to the data for easier manipulation and swipe file to help build your future article writing topic priorities.

How to get access to this feature?

1. Log in to your EzineArticles membership account.
  2. Click on AUTHOR TOOLS.
  3. Click on VIEW MY ARTICLE REPORTS.
  4. If you have multiple authors in your account, select one to work with.
  5. Under the “Views” tab will be the number of total views life-to-date that each article of yours received. Click on any of those numbers. You can also click on the “VIEWS” link to sort the list by most viewed first.
  6. Click on TRAFFIC SEARCH TERMS.
  7. Because we can’t easily display 30 days of data horizontally, the data is broke up by the first 16 days on the first row and the remaining data in a bottom row.

What do you think of this new membership benefit?

Jennifer writes:

WOW!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 3:04 PM

brian ostrowiak writes:

Very cool new tool… Ive been wondering what searches were being used to find my articles and this tool anwers all of my questions.. great job!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 3:35 PM

W. Galen Gentry writes:

This is a great tool. I am sure that it took a lot of work. This will be very helpful. Thanks for doing it.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Gary Huynh writes:

Having access to these top search terms for my articles will dramatically increase my success with article marketing. I can now use this data to guide me in my future article topic selection. No more guess work!

Thank you EzineArticles!

– Gary

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Ohhh my gosh! THIS IS THE BEST!! Oh!

THANK YOU EzineArticles!!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM

John Watson writes:

Brilliant idea and very useful

Thanks

John Watson

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Elaine Woosey writes:

This sounds great but I’ve just checked my stats for my most popular article and its showing keyword searches for:

hair styles for women in their 50’s
hairstyles for women in their 50’s
hair styles for over 50
short hairstyles for women in their 50’s
over 50 hair styles
hair styles for women in their 50’s
hairstyles for women in their 50’s
hair styles for over 50
short hairstyles for women in their 50’s
over 50 hair styles

Only problem is my article is nothing to do with hairstyles!

Very confusing.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Dear Chris and EzineArticles! This is so cool and awesome. What a fantastic tool, cause I’m always wondering what those “out there” really want to read about.
Thank you, thank you , thank you!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Jack Krohn writes:

Great stuff Chris. Should be an eye opener and a big help.

Jack

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Mark Thompson writes:

Chris,

excellent new feature..

thanks

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Way cool! This is great information to be learning, can’t wait to see the data!

Thanks, Chris, for your creative foresight on this!
Terri Z

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Marcia Ming writes:

This is a really great tool. Thanks for spending the money to help us improve the keywords we use and how we target our readers. I can’t wait to write new articles.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Thomas Mehiar writes:

H Chris
Yeah excellent stuff great work
Wild success for All
Thomas Mehiar
Google-Way.com Manage & Owner

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Tony writes:

This new tool is powerful!

It is similar to using your web host statistics to view how people reached your website.

We can now give the readers what they want by writing articles to satisfy their needs and, in return, drive more traffic to our target website.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Kim Washetas writes:

What a fantastic new tool! Thanks for constantly seeking new ways to make things better for everyone.

Regards,

Kim Washetas
scoutforsuccess.com

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Hans writes:

Indeed a great feature! requires some work to access. Possible next step: aggregate this for all one’s articles…

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:38 PM

This is great followup information for how well my key words are working and how people are finding my articles. Thanks, Colleen

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Beyond WOW, adding value is the one of the critical competitive advantages in the global marketplace.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Gregory Burrus writes:

I absolutely love it. This gives great insight and direction to my future articles.

As the Cup says – I love my EzineArticles and this just makes this service even better.

Gregory Burrus

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Sherry Harris writes:

It is clear why EzineArticles.com is the crme de la crme of article directories. FREE, cool new features always puts a smile on my face. Thank you!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Rafael Montilla writes:

This is an excelent news.

Thank you for your good service.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Tom Grimshaw writes:

Sounds like a very useful resource. If I cannot see the term TRAFFIC SEARCH TERMS on my author page, how do I access the data?

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Excellent feature Chris, again you’re so far ahead of any competition.

I’m off to look at my top articles and brainstorm some new titles!

Dan

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Jennifer writes:

I already wrote 2 articles using this feature. :)

Tonight I’ll look through a bunch more of my articles. I plan on keeping a close eye on all the articles I write using this feature… comparing them to my other articles.

I bet most of the articles I write this month will be based off this.

I have no doubt this will help guide me in writing 100-200 articles that wouldn’t have been written.

Alex, I’ll have “Outclassed AGAIN and AGAIN” for $800 please. Question… What is Buzzle! :)

First I get 2 mugs and now this… Chris you must love me. You’re the best!! Thank you.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Mallory writes:

Great Idea! Someone over there is really thinking. Love it!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM

David Schaefer writes:

The new View My Article Report provides clear and useful data. At first glance I picked up details that will result in changes to future article submissions. Your efforts in creating this report will pay great dividends for all authors who use it. Outstanding!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:44 PM

rickey gold writes:

Great tool….even though none of my articles have any data!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:49 PM

This is a phenomenal addition that goes above any of my expectations. Definitely a tool that gives back to authors.

Thank you!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Darek writes:

Sounds great, haven’t look at it yet, but I’ll definitely will before my next article … which is now. Thank you for help Ezine!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM

diane writes:

Love it…really helps to see how many times articles have been read broken down by month. Love the keyword aspect

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Thank you very much! Excellent feature!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Lalitha Brahma writes:

Great tool! This speaks of your true intention to help the authors like us and inspires me to model in providing service over and beyond what is expected. Thanks Chris.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Don writes:

Great. Really handy and a big help on what to write next. Thanks

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Alvyn Khoo writes:

This the best articles site that understand the needs of the author. Future articles will be more accurately targeted to the actual searches. Keep it up Chris!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Michelle writes:

Good stuff! Can’t wait to check it out on my next article post.

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Dan Walter writes:

Very good idea. Much appreciated. :O)

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Wow, that is a great feature and huge help! You never cease to surprise us!
Thanks,
Bettina

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Interesting…but not sure how to interpret the data! My most popular article got 14K+ hits, but there were only 4 search terms displayed, with only a very tiny, probably insignificant number of people using those search terms on any given day. Something more than chance needs to be happening to get that many hits, but I don’t think this data tells me what that is!

Comment provided October 8, 2008 at 11:21 PM

PotPieGirl writes:

This is a GREAT addition to our author stats! Having just a little bit of feedback via keywords used can be very helpful in making our articles more powerful and effective.

Thank you!

Jennifer
~PotPieGirl

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM

PotPieGirl writes:

Oh wait, quick question….

You posted –

“Premium Members get access up to the top (30) referring keywords.”

Does this mean if I sign up today as a Premium Member that I get the stats and 30 keywords since August, or only stats from today forward on my current articles?

Thanks again!

Jennifer
~PotPieGirl

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Jack Viljoen writes:

Great. This is going to be a tremendous help.

Thanks.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Susan writes:

Great feature, Chris. Is there any chance that Premium members could be given access to top search terms across the network (not just for one’s own articles)?

It would be really useful to know the top keywords being used to find other articles in my category, not just my own articles.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 1:32 AM

donald writes:

great job! this feature is of great value to us! thanks for making EzineArticles better!

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 1:35 AM

abdelkader writes:

Hi there,

all i can say “GREAT WORK”,
It’s really a big help on what to write next,
thank you very much for your helpful service

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 2:49 AM

Ahmad writes:

Nice Job

I like this tool

I am programmer and i know how this is hard to build like this tools.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Trick or Treat writes:

Hey you guys gals members one n all … its easy to see why EzineArticles are the leaders in the article marketing arena boldly goes where no others knows
… I just hope every one realizes how big this new tool is … through many many many terabytes of data in order to provide us with this critically important data that can immediately help us all improve the quality of all our articles!not to mention ROI (Return on Investment) now those last few words ad a nice ring to the sentence. thanks you guys excellent update

All my best to you and your keywords and key phrases
Phillip Skinner

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 3:04 AM

Allison Piearce writes:

Thank you for such a great feature. It must have taken some heavy duty programming to facilitate this tool. Very useful for helping to target articles at the right people. Great :)

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 3:27 AM

Louise O'Conor writes:

This is a really great tool. Look forward to using it. Thanks

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 4:22 AM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Chris, seems everyone loves the idea of this new tool. It’s like a baby GoogleAnalytics : )

Any chance of a guide or article on how best to make use of the data to write more effective articles?

I’m sure many of us are wowed by the info and the concept but aren’t quite sure how to interpret and use it in a systematic way to write better articles and article titles.

I think it will take a few months to get really informative data, just browsing some of mine, there are some very random keywords phrases linked to some articles!

Thanks for continuing to lead the way!

Dan

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 7:25 AM

This is very cool indeed.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Ricardo Gonzales writes:

Great Idea! I’ve been doing this with other software but since it’s in one location. Great!

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Thank you, Chris!

I’m glad because you decided to really give us this information!

And by the way, the new captcha is also great! I saw it in practice this week when I left a comment in an article…

EArticles is really superior!

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Sunil Rattu writes:

Very cool idea, this should help loads

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Willfred writes:

Great stuff!

I have always wanted to know what keywords people were using to get to my website.

EzineArticles is it!

Cheerio

Willfred

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Kim Lucas writes:

Great help – thank you!

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Jennifer writes:

Just going through 3 of my articles gave me 28 keywords to base new articles around. :)

The only problem I see with this tool is that if you’re not careful, these newer articles you create may rob your older articles of views. Easy to get around though.

Time to get writing. Ciao.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Lisa Angelettie writes:

Hi Chris.
This was an absolutely fantastic benefit you have offered writers. I use to be only to track what visitors found my site(s) through specific articles at your site via google or yahoo etc. — which I thought was great. I would just write more of “those” articles.

But now I can take it a step further and find out what keywords led them to those specific articles, and can really tailor a campaign specifically for those keywords.

Another reason for me to recommend your site to my clients! (As if I needed anything else:-)

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Only now I had time to see how it works! Nice! Very nice!

This is different from what we had discussed in another thread, but it is very helpful too!

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Bruce writes:

Great information. Thank you for your efforts on our behalf.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Absolutely Terrific! Anyone trying to really “get it right” knows the true value of this kind of research. Article Marketing just took a great leap forward.

You’ve outdone yourself again Chris!

Well done, Cheers,

Mike

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Alejandro Guervara Onofre writes:

Congratulations to Christopher ( EzineArticles team).
Alejandro

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Finally checked out HOW it works.. YAY! What is so cool about it is that I can see exactly how people found me other than the single keywords and long tail keywords I actually used. This is so good because NOW I can see just what my follow-up articles and articles within the same niches need to refer to. It gives me ideas and incentive to do those follow up articles as well.
I just did a study on one of three of my articles that are within the same niche and am actually kind of surprised to see that they did not find me through the specific keywords I posted. Wow, this opens the BIGGEST window!

In regards to ‘others’ seeing my keywords. whoever mentioned that, I don’t really want that. When that was posted before I noticed that I had far more problems with people using my articles as well as my keywords and taking credit for them. So I am not in favor of posting that info. (I know that they can do a resource check, but they are not as likely to if the info is not there right in front of them)

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Jennifer,

Glad you were able to use this new feature to help guide new articles being produced! That’s the primary reason we gave everyone FREE access to the first (5).

Rickey & any others who have no traffic keyword data:

This feature really takes power and value when your articles are more than 2 months old with us and have more than 200+ views. Anything under that and your articles just don’t have the market time it takes to collect this info. Have patience… it’ll come. :)

All,

Thanks! This would not have been possible without the excellent behind-the-scenes developer team who worked hard on this project for months!

Dr. Stephanie,

I looked at your specific case and saw that your article had thousands of monthly visitors that ended in June and our data only goes back to August but we’re working on getting July data imported… so check again in late October and I bet you’ll find better data.

Over time, just like good wine, this data gets better.

PotPieGirl,

When you become a Premium member, you get up to the top 30 keywords for every article *you* have with us from August 1st 2008 forward.

If you meant, do I get to see the keyword stats of everyone else’s articles? Sorry, no.

Susan,

Sorry, not this year.

Our focus for at least the rest of this year is to help our members use this data to improve the quality of their articles writing & marketing activities.

I do know that we will never release this data from one member to another… but will study the aggregate data like any responsible data-decision driven person would do.

Dan G.,

Expect more from us on this over the next year.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Shannon writes:

Just got around to checking this out. Oh my gosh is it awesome! What a gold nugget of info you are giving us. Seeing all those keywords (actually searched) gives me lots more article ideas and allowed me to see what the reader is actually really looking for (which I probably wouldn’t have known otherwise – other than guessing). THANK YOU! Shannon

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Ken S. writes:

AWESOME!!!! This is the best tool ever!

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Now that I’m using this fantastic tool I realize that it gives us many ideas for next articles, besides saving us time and efforts.

We don’t have to look for the best keywords before writing another article about the same subject of one of our previous articles! And many times we observe that what attracts our readers are other keywords or phrases, and not the ones we had imagined that would work better.

This tool is a real revelation!

PS. Now that I was writing this comment, I received a message from one of your editors. Do I have the permission to talk about a problem related to our articles, even though it is somehow out of topic?

[moderator removed portion of this comment that was off topic.]

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Let’s keep this thread on topic please.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Wow, this is great! I looked it over yesterday and thought once again how nice it is to be an author at EzineArticles. Awesome is right.

Thanks again for all you do here at EzineArticles everyone involved.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Kathryn Merrow writes:

Absolutely a wonderful feature! Thank you for thinking of this and making it happen.

Kathryn Merrow
The Pain Relief Coach

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 7:31 PM

‚¬“Thank you!…‚¬

I believe that you have to prepare a box and put it somewhere in your blog with the title: ‚¬“Your suggestions for future discussions‚¬.

Many times we want to discuss many problems here with you and other members, but we don’t have the chance because we are ‚¬“out of topic‚¬.

So, please give us the chance to choose the topic of our discussions here, sometimes at least!

And, if you would give me the chance, I could relate my problem to today’s topic.

Everything is related, because I was accused for ‚¬“article promotion‚¬, perhaps because your editor considered the reference to previous articles as an attempt to use the keywords of previous articles to attract readers to my new articles!

As a matter of fact, this works very well, as I noticed by chance on Google, even though I never mention another article because I want to attract more visitors using the previous successful keywords of another article’s title, but because I give real lessons to my readers, so that those that don’t have serious problems may find health and happiness without facing depression.

However, it is very nice when I see that an old article’s title puts my new article at Google’s first page when I mention it. This is a Great idea, discovered by chance.

I don’t understand which the problem could be if we mention previous articles in the new ones: this is only an advantage for our readers, for us, and for EzineArticles!

Christina

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Reyn Aria writes:

Amazing!

I’ve been using Google Keyword Tool to find keywords with the highest search volume, but I can’t tell if they were effective. Now I know exactly from which keyword my visitors are coming from. This is truly the missing piece! Thanks a million.

Reyn Aria

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Veronica writes:

All my wishes came true. This tool is great to improve our quality of content. Thanks.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Thanks to the EzineArticles Team for this excellent new feature. It provides deeper insight on what readers want that will help authors to meet their needs.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Zyzyrgy writes:

Fantastic tool! Love it!!

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Bravo! You’ve gone that extra mile for article writers worldwide. Knowing the exact keywords that consumers search for is the foundation for crafting more articles that specifically tell your audience the *exact* information they want to know.

Thank you so much for adding this valuable benefit. This is a total *score* for writer and reader alike.

Comment provided October 9, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Rakhi writes:

Sounds good!!! But I have not tried yet, rest depends on final results which I will obtain for my website open-source-development.

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 4:35 AM

erick N. writes:

wow..thank you very much. Sounds like a really cool and great feature.

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 5:43 AM

Nick Earl writes:

Man Ezine rocks, and it just keeps getting better!

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 6:53 AM

Chris,

This is great information to have.
Thank you for the extra work and effort to provide writers with this tool.

Rosanne Rust

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Jessica Dale writes:

Can somebody say..this tool will revolutionize your online business. =) This is by far the most amazing tool I have ever seen…If you are serious about your business I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to buy this…and that’s why I bought it right away! Thanks Chris and EzineArticles.com

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Robby writes:

This was a totally needed feature. I don’t see why it’s Premium though when other Directories already offer it for free.

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 2:57 PM

UPDATE: It’s Bonus data Friday!

Today we added an extra month of SEARCH TERM DATA going back to July 1st, 2008. That means if your articles were live on our site since July 1st, 2008 forward, we’ve added that data into your search term data reports.

Robby,

This feature is *FREE* for every member to get the top (5) keywords and/or keyphrases for every article in your account. You get the head of the tail of data for free and Premium members get the long tail top (30) keywords.

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I said it before and I’ll say it again!

CHRIS KNIGHT FOR PREZ!

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Jennifer writes:

If we could bump off McCain and put Chris on that ticket with Palin, I’d give them my vote.

This is AWESOME because most of my high article views had tons of searches in July and I couldn’t see that data. Now I can.

More data = more articles. HAPPY FACE :)

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM

No fair to bring up political stuff unless it is in PURE jest! Ooof! It is awfully difficult for me to restrain myself on that one! Ewwe!

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Yeah: I’m going to restrain myself also and I’d encourage everyone to leave Election politics out of this blog please.

Thanks!

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

This is too neat and tidy. Thank you for adding July to the Search and Term Data!

EA certainly has a nice way of keeping people happy.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Thank you, Chris!

I’m so busy lately that I couldn’t use this new feature yet, but I’m sure it will be my favorite as soon as I finish the last ebook derived from my summer offer of free translation.

I even think I wasted a lot of time with the blog discussions, while I have so much to do! But I like your blog very much! It’s the only place where I like to discuss whatever! even when my suggestions and ideas are not accepted.

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

I have to ask, because I do not understand this. What is the difference is between ‘head of the tail’ and ‘long tail’?

Maybe ‘5’ is the keyword here, and ’30’ is the keyword for long tail. Hum… I just don’t understand it.

Nonetheless, I really like knowing what keywords people entered on to read my articles. It is very significant to the success of our businesses and am appreciative.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Chris,

Having the extra month of data very useful. Looking forward to seeing the resulting article views of new article titles generated from this info.

Christina,

Could I be so bold as to say that you seem to be prolific and leave multiple comments on nearly blog post here at EzineArticles, yet you’re always saying you’re so busy and never have time to check anything out? : )

Dan

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Jennifer writes:

Just to let you know Chris, I submitted a total of 29 articles today and yesterday. About 26 of the articles were based off using the traffic search terms from my other articles.

Saved time = way more output. Geez, I’m exhausted now.

Will you have some weekend editors coming in tomorrow and Sunday… or is that top secret information?

Just to let you know, I only write articles late Friday-Sunday when I see or expect that my articles are being reviewed over the weekend.

If no weekend editors, then I don’t write any articles from 4:30pm Friday until Monday morning.

That’s just my perspective. You can get an extra 8-12 articles out of me each week due to your weekend editors coming in. Maybe other people are the same.

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Yes, Dan! This blog is like vacations for me. In other sites I only talk about serious problems and impossible solutions because this is my field, while here the discussions are about one of my favorite subjects: article writing.

I’m usually discussing here and doing many other things at the same time in the intervals; this is why I said that I don’t have time for the blog conversations.

But I like them, and this is why I come here everyday!

I only stopped coming here during my summer offer of free dream translation because it was really more than impossible to find time for the discussions too, while translating so many dreams for everyone!

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Jennifer! WOW!! TWENTY NINE! YOU are amazing!! You and Christina and of course guys like Lance. And Dan! wow, you are quite the writer my friend, as I have commented lately on some of your outstanding art articles.

Hats off! I have a lot of catching up to do!

Thank goodness we have this new tool… I am just so excited about it. I had complained before about not finding keywords and long tail keywords, yadda, yadda and I fell into a real slump!

I been kissed by a frog! RrrrRiBit!

I doubt that I will ever measure up to the likes of some of you guys regarding the number of articles I write, but I can do more now with confidence! So Yay!

Happy day!

PS I know this is ‘completely off the subject but! I sold my house! Yesterday! In THIS economy! So it is just a bit of happy stuff! Cause good things are in fact all around us! HUGE SMILE!

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Olwen Anderson writes:

THANK YOU EzineArticles! This is so very useful. A thousand blessings on your business!

Comment provided October 10, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Judy Lausch writes:

Great tool. Very helpful. Thanks.

Comment provided October 11, 2008 at 5:37 AM

Kathy,

Congrats on your home sale! :)

Shirley,

Read up on the concept of the Long tail:

Jennifer,

Isn’t it a great feeling to know that the content you just produced will most likely find a higher chance at traffic attraction than had you not had the information about how the market was finding your existing content!

As for weekend article reviewing, we do not have formal weekend article review hours at this time. That said, you do see us frequently reviewing & accepting articles on the weekend, especially when we’re not meeting our article review response targets for Basic & Platinum members.

Comment provided October 11, 2008 at 9:22 AM

barbara writes:

Brilliant! I’m almost tempted to go Premium just for this!….However, most all of my “traffic search terms” result in this message:
Sorry, no traffic statistics are currently available for this article for the date period specified.”
Can anyone comment on the status of this…?
thanks!

Comment provided October 11, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Hi Barbara!

Are your articles too recent? The statistics start working after two months at least, so if you haven’t written articles two months ago, there are no statistics, if I remember well what Chris said about it. (I’m on a hurry now, but I saw your message!)

Be patient and the statistics will appear – and keep writing!

Comment provided October 11, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Jessica Dale writes:

I have been subscribed to this tool for the past few days…and I am having the best time ever. It has revealed so many new Long Tail KW’s for me that I would not have be able to on my own! This tool really helps you dominate the Search Engines. = )

Comment provided October 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Right on Jessica!

You are using this tool exactly correctly and you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

I was thinking the exact same thing today when playing around and looking thru various articles and the key words folks were searching.

This is a Triple Win for everyone. EzineArticles gets more traffic, you get more targeted traffic reading your articles to contact you and WE as Internet users WIN because this improves the online experience, as people find what they are looking for. It’s all good!

Comment provided October 11, 2008 at 9:28 PM

sofan afandi writes:

Outstanding feature…nice to become EzineArticles writer

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 5:17 AM

JaMina writes:

This is really a nice cool feature I’m with Barbara, as I was reading Chris’s article I was thinking wow this just might make me turn Premium.

Of course I just have one article at the moment, but Jennifer has put a fire under me.

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Hi Everyone!

I’m reading sometimes your messages, while answering to other messages in the intervals, because I’m still writing my ebook with many dreams and translations, and I want to include all dreams! this is taking too much time!

I’m jealous of you who are using this fantastic feature while I cannot even care about verifying which keywords let my readers to my articles! I only took a look briefly on Friday. Imagine! I have such wonderful tool at my disposition but I cannot use it yet because I’m too busy giving explanations about the dreams I translated and other lessons!

But I’m thinking while writing and reading quickly your messages, and making theoretical conclusions. This feature is more than fantastic and much better than the previous idea Chris had mentioned.

Of course we prefer to know how our readers found our articles and use the same keywords in our next titles than to have the knowledge about where the traffic came from: Google, Yahoo, blogs, etc.?

I have many ideas about how to use this feature! When I’ll have time I will show you my conclusions.

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Thanks Chris for the info regarding Chris Anderson’s book on “The Longtail”. Sounds interesting and informative. Appreciate the good info.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Interesting…

I just did a study using EzineArticles new tool with an article I wrote, that had three parts. I wrote my initial article and then 2 progress reports. At first I thought, why even look at the keywords or long tail keywords used for the two progress reports, wouldn’t they be the same?

Good thing I checked though, because readers did not come to those follow up articles for the same reasons, not specifically anyway.

WOW! This is just the most amazing tool!

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM

A couple other revelations about my study:

Top keywords actually changed from one month to the other. It is as if peoples moods shifted or something. Humm not sure what that means in general but it does mean that I need to check each month! It also means that there is HUGE VALUE in Premium Membership with EzineArticles. Seems like I am schmoozing but the truth is the truth!

and

A lot of times the keywords I ‘thought’ had brought me traffic were not the keywords that did at all! Before I figured they had, so I used those keywords that I ‘thought’ had worked, again. I was often confused because they did not work for me. DA!! It is because it was not those keywords that really worked in the first place!

Sheeze Louise! I am just kind of humming from all of this.

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Interesting observation, Kathy! And quite logic if we think about it: different people use different keywords. So, from time to time, depending on the terms that the different users prefer, the keywords through which they find an article change too.

This is why synonyms must always be used, especially in the article’s body.

I’m finishing with my ebook, but the end is the longer part. In the end I present full psychotherapies, what means: a big collection of dreams from the same dreamer! and all my translations and my explanations about how I could discover the accurate translation for each dream!

In a while I’ll be able to give you my advice about how to use this feature too.

Now I’m thinking about smart ways to use synonyms in the article’s title! while still giving explanations for my e-book’s readers! I can’t wait to start using this feature! But I have to finish my best product, first of all!

Then I’ll write many articles promoting it!

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Christina…

Synonyms?

That is a keyword guessing game. You assume that people are going to use a different phrase or word that means the same thing… that may not be the case. Say I was referring to fairies and for a synonym used winged creature or tiny person with wings. Maybe someone would find me though those terms.. but not bloody likely.

Yet.. I see that you have plans to get to the EzineArticles tool as soon as you are done with your project.. so I don’t know WHY I feel like I need to comment on this… I just do! Call me… ahh whatever. lol

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Peter writes:

Excellent work Chris. I can tailor my articles so much better now. Thanks

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 7:29 PM

You are a very active person. I see all your comments at Twitter! You are always in contact with many people.

I comment here for recreation, in the meanwhile, while writing my ebook for example, because I write about problems and solutions, while here the atmosphere is lighter.

It’s nice to think about article writing and change subject for a while! I like to find solutions for EA’s and the author’s problems too. This is very easy comparing to the kind of problems I have to solve in my field!

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Jamie Boyle writes:

One word sums this up “THANKS!”

Your hard work will definitely help people increase their website traffic through article marketing.

The information you will provide to members of EzineArticles is really a gold mine. Knowing how people search for things on the internet is the best way to improve and write about what people want to know more about. I like many others will defintely enjoy this new service. Your hard work will not only help us improve our articles but will also help promote the #1 Article Marketing website!

Amazing job! Look forward to seeing more great stuff from EzineArticles.

Sincerely,

Jamie Boyle
Internet Marketer

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 8:03 PM

No intention of offending.. I find this fun as well.

My activity on Twitter is of a political vein till after the election.. yup I AM totally obsessed these days! LOL.

I also update my 75 Squidoo’s and continually feed info about my website, blogs and other sites of mine on Twitter though…. sooo, yup I confess I am indeed shameless as far as promoting my art and myself.

Interesting about Twitter use, I have noticed a nice spike in people who sign up for my newsletter.

Speaking of keywords, I make sure I have some good ones in my profile too. Seeing what brought people to me with the new EzineArticles tool is being considered and might possibly be added to my profile.

Very excited to see your new E-Book Christina! Good for you!!

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 8:07 PM

I’m always condemned for forgetting the topic, now that I remember this detail! So, I would like to finish my comment saying: of course synonyms are the way other people may find our articles.

For example, one person looks for the word ‚¬“treatment‚¬, another one looks for ‚¬“psychotherapy‚¬ ‚¬€ they are synonyms.
I was thinking about a smart way to put both in the article’s title, but in a beautiful way! This would be the ideal solution! This way both will be there, for all users, depending on their preference.

How could we use strong synonyms near strong keywords in our article’s titles?

We could write something like:

‚¬“Depression Treatment ‚¬€ The Best Psychotherapy for You‚¬

But it is not easy to make such combination! because the title has to define the article in only a few words. If we waste words with synonyms our titles will be too long – this is not the ideal solution.

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Yes indeed I agree that is a creative way of expanding on the subject and makes for wonderful writing, which of course is your talent extraordinarie!

My point is that coming up with a beautiful or even great synonym does not mean you automatically have a good ‘keyword’.

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Fantastic, Chris. The keyword metrics is an excellent value add for the authors. Kudos to the ezine article tech team to come up with proactive solutions and exceeding customer expectations.

Comment provided October 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Joseph Bolin writes:

I am very glad that this service is now available. It was something I liked with Scribd, use on my own website, and find very helpful.

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Kathy,

We’ve noticed a sharp increase in new Premium memberships solely because of this new tool and those who have been signing up are doing so with the quarterly or yearly instead of monthly plan (tells us there is more confidence in the value proposition).

Barbara,

If there is no data yet for your articles, it’s because you’re too new yet or because your articles didn’t get enough traction yet or because your viewcount is too low yet to attract SE traffic.

Go into your account, into your article reports, sort by view count, and then look at the Aug stats for your article, “Wealth Building Strategies You Won’t Hear From Your Financial Planner” and you’ll find traffic search terms for AUG 2008 that may be meaningful to you. :)

It takes at least 250 views to an article before the traffic search terms stats start to become meaningful.

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 7:01 AM

I noticed today, examining the keywords through which my readers found only one of my articles (no time for studies!) that most of them found it by chance! Only the fifth one used the keywords I had in mind when giving the article’s title.

It’s quite disappointing when you see that most readers found your article by chance, while they were looking for something else!

I hope that the new feature will help us choose the keywords that will really define our article, because if the reader wants something else but finds our article by chance, chances are that he or she will simply look for what they want! Our article’s title should be more specific.

This was a lesson!

Now, back to my ebook!

I’m writing now about a very interesting case. Someone had constant nightmares for years and sent me a message asking for help! Too many dreams! I have to organize them.

In the next interval I may analyze the keywords through which my readers found another article. Interesting!… I like the traffic search terms very, very much! I saw another article’s keywords now! couldn’t resist. This time only one reader found my article by chance. This was one of my best titles! Given by chance, because I was on a hurry! like now!

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Christina, I know I am belaboring this, but what do you mean when you say they found you, ‘by chance’. I don’t understand. Are there ‘no’ keywords found in your article search?

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Carla writes:

Doing the appropriate keyword research prior to writing your articles is essential. You have to know what people are looking for/searching for – then provide it in the way of meaningful, helpful articles.

Great work Chris – and team.

~Carla

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Carla,

I thought your advice was very sound.

I went to your website and wanted to let you know that your words inspired me tremendously. Actually, they are just what I needed to hear!

Thanks,

Shirley Bass

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Mark Thompson writes:

Christina,

People won’t find your article “by chance” It’s not the way that google works. the page with your article on will have been found because google adjudged your article to be a good match for their search.

So for example if your article was about Steam trains and you mentioned in it “the optimum length of train” and then someone was researching wedding dresses and searched for “optimum length of train” then your aticle would show up.

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Hi Kathy! How are you today?

When I say ‚¬“by chance‚¬ I mean that the information they were looking for was different, but they found my article because they used the same keywords I did, but with another intention.

Now I can’t find the article I saw before! Let me find another one then, to give you an example!

I found one that is not such a good example like the previous one, but never mind!

Article:

‚¬“The Importance of Accurate Dream Interpretation With The Scientific Method‚¬

Traffic Search Terms:

the importance of dream analysis

dream analysis importance

dream of being abandoned in dangerous area

citation the importance of accurate

importance of dream analysis

Only three readers found what they were looking for. The readers who typed:

dream of being abandoned in dangerous area

citation the importance of accurate

!found my article by chance. They were looking for something else, not for the information I’m giving in this article.

Fortunately most readers found it because they cared about the information I’m giving in the article.

What I said before is that if you see that many people find an article while they were looking for something else and not for what you talk about in your article, this means that your title is not as specific as it should be!

My title in this case was good, but in the previous one I saw that it had multiple meanings, and this is why people that were looking for something totally different found it by chance.

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM

OK Beautiful Christina, that is what I thought. So NOW you can see that you have some glorious NEW information as to what people are actually looking for. Do you see what I mean? THIS is the amazing value of this new tool. What you have now is unique keywords to write NEW articles about. See? Isn’t that the coolest thing?

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Yes Mark, I know how Google works, but what I meant with the words ‚¬“by chance‚¬ had a metaphorical meaning.

My readers were looking for something different and only because they typed the same keywords I used in my title, they found it, even though they were giving another meaning to the same words when using them.

If your title is too ambiguous, it may bring you many visitors who are not interested in the information you are giving. This is negative, because they will leave without feeling satisfied.

……………………………………………..

Yes Kathy! This tool is fantastic! We can see exactly how we must write our next titles in order to attract the maximum number of visitors!

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Carla writes:

There are a lot of ways to research the keywords, too. Google Adwords keyword tool is great as is the Wordtracker tool.

I’m spoiled because I use SiteBuildIt to create my sites and they have a brainstorming tool integrated into their program, so I can search for a keyword (or keyphrase) such as job search and get back hundreds of phrases as well as how much they are searched for and how much they are being supplied (by content sites).

As for the unusual searches that people use and land on your site… you never know when someone will see your site and say, “You know, this isn’t where I was headed, but I’m glad I’m here now.” ;)

~Carla

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 3:05 PM

You are right, Carla. Even though most people don’t want to waste time reading other things when they are looking for certain information, many times they read something else that they found by chance, and this way you may acquire a new visitor, who may even will feel very glad for discovering your site.

However, this is not what usually happens, and this is why we better be careful with our article’s titles, describing there exactly what we are talking about in the article.

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM

All,

Great News: We’re done importing several hundred gigs of data that means we’ve been able to add June 2008 to your TRAFFIC SEARCH TERMS data!

This is as far back as we’re able to go and shows you how long ago we started this project.

So, enjoy the bonus data on your articles that were live since June 1st 2008 (or older) and forward!

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Ever see “Where the Hell is Matt?’ YouTubes? That’s the celebration here.. doing that HAPPY DANCE!

THANKS TO ALL AT EzineArticles!

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Thanks Chris, this is amazing. Another reason why EzineArticles.com continues to be the leading article directory on the web.

Comment provided October 13, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Jennifer writes:

Yesterday I wrote an article on something with a keyword phrase I got from a previous article I wrote… using this new traffic search term feature.

Today, there is a news story on that very keyword phrase on the front page of YAHOO. What Luck!!!

OMG… I’m getting hits like CRAZY. Now my previous article and yesterday’s article are 2 of the top 3 in Google.

I would’ve never wrote that 2nd article without the traffic search.

:) :) :) :) :)

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Jennifer writes:

Just an update:

Between those 2 articles, I got over 7,000 article views in about 5 hours.

The new article dropped out of the top 3, but the old 1 is still up there.

USE THE TRAFFIC SEARCH TERMS in previous high view articles! This allows you to “double up” on google’s 1st page often.

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Jennifer!! OMG!! That is astounding!

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Jennifer, amazing results, well done!

Chris, I’ve visited a few different articles of mine and the stats only go up to Oct 7th. Today is the 17th. Will there always be this timelapse in the results?

Long term it doesn’t matter, but I’m just keen to get the info as soon as possible to be able to generate more articles with the best keywords!

Thanks,

Dan

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Congratulations, Jennifer! This result was really fantastic!

I couldn’t see any result because I only submitted two articles using the traffic search terms after finishing my ebook (which I’m still reading!) and they were not approved yet.

(By the way, Chris, the old ‚¬“two days‚¬ for approval are not being respected even if we are Platinum members. I noticed that my articles super-delayed to be approved last week. I would even complain if I was not so busy with my ebook! I hope that this is not a consequence of the priority you are giving to the Premium members!)

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Jennifer writes:

Thanks guys.

Here is some more “inspiration”.

I have over 30,000 article views for the past 5 days. :)

I’m writing a ton of articles. More than normal because I don’t have to bother too much with keyword searches at google.

I just check my article search terms in my highest and most published articles and find the ones that pop out. Then I do a quick google check and off I write.

Lets see…
PREMIUM + TRAFFIC SEARCH TERMS = :) :)

This traffic search terms thing is way better than I initially thought. I thought it’d be good, but not THIS GOOD! It’s helped me out a lot.

I’m getting in “Lance territory” in my daily article writing output. KIDDING… kinda.

OFF TOPIC (I apologize ahead of time but I’m kinda giddy still from that yahoo thing)…

Lance, it looks like 15,000 articles by Dec 31, 2008 will be no problem for you. How about my anonymous challenge of getting 16,000 articles by then? 11 weeks and about 1500 articles to go. Can he do it… hmm.

Comment provided October 17, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Dan,

About the lag in traffic search terms data:

We made this feature live before we had enough servers online to deliver the service; so our team has been manually parsing the data with our development servers and uploading it.

The data is being collected, but not displayed without human intervention.

This will change by the end of the month as the additional servers ordered to drive these stats are online now and working the backlog.

Comment provided October 20, 2008 at 9:06 AM

steve writes:

Chris, this is the most smart thing ezine could have done in a long time. My guess is that ezine is authority on certain key phrases and once we know that, we can focus on those, and get a lot of traffic for you and us. Nice job!

Comment provided March 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Atlas writes:

This is a great tool, traffic is king….but highly targeted traffic is gold….do we even need google adwords any more….hahaha

Comment provided November 16, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Mithi Chinoy writes:

Dear Christopher,

Please explain the following:

What do you mean by “multiple authors in your account”?
Also please explain point no. 5 as given below:

“Under the “Views” tab will be the number of total views life-to-date that each article of yours received. Click on any of those numbers. You can also click on the “VIEWS” link to sort the list by most viewed first.”

Thanks,
Mithi Chinoy

Comment provided November 16, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Mithi,

You can have multiple pen-names within your account. If you only have your author name in your account, when you go to your article reports, you’ll only see the stats for your articles. If you have 2 or more author names within your account (example: I have Christopher Knight and Chris Knight within my account) you’ll see a list of your author names to choose from before proceeding to the article stats on each author name.

We decided last night to create a camtasia/screenflow video that will show you how to access Traffic Search Terms… Should be out in less than a few weeks.

Jane Thomas writes:

Thank you so much for this great new tool. EzineArticles just gets better and better!

Comment provided November 17, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Mike writes:

Chris,

This is a great benefit to anyone wanting traffic to their sites via search engines. Your site is one of the most powerful ones out there.

Mike

Comment provided November 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Gert Hough writes:

I think I discovered this about the same time the email went out :-) This is a great addition to the pro membership but it is a little steep for the average online article marketer. Different level of paid membership may prove a financially healthy idea/concept.

Comment provided November 27, 2009 at 5:35 AM

I love the statistics you can pull through the EzineArticles tools provided.

Comment provided January 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Frankie Cooper writes:

This is a tool that I need to start using more often to help me write better articles to acquire targeted traffic.

Comment provided October 26, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Phillip Skinner writes:

Well thanks very much for this update Chris – your timing as usual is perfect – I’m just about to upload a few “How to Have a Happy and Healthy Dog” articles to my EzineArticles account – again thanks a bundle good buddy

Comment provided October 26, 2010 at 7:47 AM