Search Your Own Articles

If you have just a few articles, this new feature may not mean much to you…

But, if you have lots of articles in your EzineArticles inventory, you’ll no doubt be frustrated from time to time when trying to find something you’ve written in the past. Thanks to many member suggestions, we’re rolling out our 1st version of search services dedicated to helping you search only your own articles.

You can find this service in the upper right corner of your EzineArticles Membership Interface:
New EzineArticles Search Services

What do you think? Like it?

Jennifer writes:

That should come in handy for me. Thanks!!

Jen

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Dan writes:

This is a great feature, thanks!

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Chris,

I’ve often used the main search box on the EzineArticles home page to find my articles, so this should be a great help.

Having just tried it though, I’m not sure it’s that effective, or that I’m using it correctly?

I typed the phrase “creative ideas” (without quotes) then selected to just search in Article Titles and it seems to give me all titles with the words “creative” or “ideas” in. So I tried the phrase “creative ideas” including the quotes, and “creative + ideas” and all returned the same no of results. How can we use this search feature to find exact matches of a specific phrase?

Thanks!

Dan Goodwin

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Dang! This is VERY cool!

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Bless you Chris Knight and EZ Team!

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 12:57 PM

And I’m on the way to my blog to make sure my community knows about this – Jeff

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Kathi Calahan writes:

please change the font style as that upper corner is unreadable. thank you

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Kathi Calahan writes:

PS What does ENTER SEARCH TERM HERE mean? What am I supposed to type in?

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Angela Booth writes:

Excellent! Very useful – I used to rely on Google. This is much better.

Thank you.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Thank you very much, Chris!

I’m one of the many members that asked for this tool!

I’m so happy! You can’t imagine how much I needed it!

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Ramon Greenwood writes:

Chris…

This an excellent feature. As they say, it’s the best invention since sliced bread.

I Just ask you folks the other day for something like this.

Ramon

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Wow. Another great feature. I’ve been using your Google search with quote marks around the search term to find certain articles of mine.

Now I don’t have to.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 8:50 PM

One nice thing about this feature vs. the Google search box is that the Google search box only includes articles that are indexed by Google whereas our internal search is based live on the database… Meaning, it’s extremely accurate.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Dan,

Wanted you to know our developers are looking into how we can return exact match search results…

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 6:46 AM

There is really no comparison! This feature is wonderful!

I keep indicating to everyone one or the other article, because my articles are lessons. I remember all of them, but many times I cannot find them based on their date…

I was using Blogger and WordPress to find each article in their search box when I wanted to give a link to someone, but my articles are separated in each blog depending on their subject, while at EzineArticles.com I have my entire article collection!

Many times I relate my articles, telling my readers to consult previous ones, which are on another category and about a different subject, but that give them important information related to the article I’m actually writing.

When the old article I want to mention in the new one was recently written, I have no problem on finding it, but many times I want to suggest a consult to one of my first articles, what is quite problematic for me, because I have to find it and give to the reader its exact title.

Many times I don’t remember if I started the article’s title with ‚¬“Dream Interpretation‚¬, ‚¬“Dream Analysis‚¬, ‚¬“Mental Health‚¬, or another introduction, if I posted it to my blog about Dreams, to my blog about Depresson and Neurosis Cure or to any other of my 8 blogs, since many of my articles fit on many categories! therefore Blogger and WordPress were not so helpful.

I needed the search box at EzineArticles indispensably!

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Chris, Thanks, greater precision would be helpful. I often want to recommend a few past articles to someone on a specific topc that I think I’ve probably written a few articles on but I can’t remember when or what the title was!

I remember Jeff Herring saying a long time, when someone asked how he backs up his articles and how he organises and archives them on his computer – “EzineArticles IS my archive!”

Dan

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 7:42 AM

Alyssa Johnson writes:

Hi Chris,

The theory is a great one, but I just tried it with little success. This may be due to the “exact search match” you mentioned above.

I was trying to find a specific article using the search by title feature. I know the title because I have a printed copy of it in front of me. The search feature couldn’t find it though.

I know this is a new feature and there will be bugs in anything new.

I love the idea behind it though.

Alyssa

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Ramalingam writes:

Another great and innovative features.But I am yet to test and verify it.Thank you for for the feature.Ramalingam

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Very Cool, I am constantly trying to find old articles I wrote to answer questions or fielding incoming email inquiries. So, often someone will email or contact me regarding a certain issue and I will have already answered that question in an article. It’s much easier to refer them to the article than to spend the time to answer the same question over and over again.

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Hey, I have been using this search feature and it really works good indeed. Super Excellent!

Comment provided September 6, 2008 at 2:36 AM

And you lived without it for so many years!

Yes, a writer like me had to appear here and ask for this indispensable feature!

I should have asked for it a long time ago! I was suffering one entire year without it!

But to tell you the truth, I even delayed to discover the search box of Blogger and WordPress.

With time we open our eyes and we see what we didn’t care about before.

Then, we find the solutions we need.

When we look back we feel that we could have made these discoveries a long time ago! But everything only happens when we open our eyes, and we are too busy and too sleepy all the time.

Comment provided September 6, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Dan,

“EXACT MATCH” searching capabilities has been enabled.

Just put whatever you want in “” quotes and it’ll return any article of yours that matches that query.

Comment provided September 7, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Dan Goodwin writes:

Excellent, it works great now Chris!

I like that you’ve also now added the bold highlighting of the search term in the results just like in Google too, makes it much easier to scan the results.

Essentially it’s now like a Google search but only within our own articles, and with the added benefit of being able to narrow the search to within a specific part of the articles (title, summary, body, keywords, all) and search within different author names and article statuses.

Another great author’s tool from EzineArticles, and another example of you guys being open to your users’ feedback and needs.

Thanks!

Dan

Comment provided September 7, 2008 at 7:45 AM

I organized a few of my email lists’ messages because now my summer offer of free dream translation is at the end and I had to remove all the messages about it! And by the way I improved a few other messages, verifying really how helpful this search box is!

I wanted to find an old article because it was not well in the html message but I couldn’t find it at my Word file. I typed it in the search box at my author page and I found it immediately!

I copied it and finish with my message.

Wonderful!

Comment provided September 7, 2008 at 1:36 PM

GREAT BUT I THINK I’M small.

Comment provided September 8, 2008 at 12:23 AM

UPDATE: The “Search My Articles” function has been integrated into the upper right side header of your Authors Area to make it quicker to find what you’re looking for.

You can still do an advanced search of your own articles.

Comment provided September 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Cool, I noticed this change, it looks cool up there, works real fine, lasts a long time.

Comment provided September 10, 2008 at 2:59 PM

It is really better for us if we can type directly the title we are looking for instead of clicking ‚¬“search‚¬ and then typing it.

Wish delicious would understand that too. Now their page is totally different from what it was before and we have to click three times until we find what we are looking for. I preferred it the way it was before, with all the keywords beginning with the same letter grouped together. We only had to find the desired keyword and click it once, then click again after finding the page it was connected to.

Now we have also to half-type the keyword we are looking for in their search-box! Too much complication.

I understand they did it thinking it would be better for the users, but the old style was easier and faster, since we knew where exactly to find our keywords, and we needed only two clicks to arrive where we wanted to.

Conclusion: too many clicks are a big waste of time!

Comment provided September 10, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Christina,

I agree. Too many clicks are a waste of time.

We’ve fixed it by adding a link directly to the Advanced search of your own articles:

Comment provided September 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Yes, I noticed it. I was just saying that this improvement was quite smart.

Now our search box is perfect!

Comment provided September 12, 2008 at 2:29 PM