How To Hit More Market Bullseyes

Hand full of article submissions almost hits the markA short story:

Pretend you have a paintgun loaded with a handful of paint pellets… Perhaps 7-10 pellets total. If you’ve never shot a paintgun before, your target practice might look something like this graphic to the left.

But, what if your paintgun magazine was loaded with dozens or hundreds of paint pellets?

Then no matter how bad of a shooter you are on your first day of target practice, your target practice might look more like this graphic:Dozens or hundreds of article submissions always hits the mark and a few bullseyes along the way

My point:

Writing & submitting a handful of unique and original articles is a lot like having only a handful of paint pellets VS. writing & submitting dozens, hundreds or thousands of unique and original articles.

You just NEVER know which article of yours is going to hit the home run in terms of attracting tens or hundreds of thousands of visitors back to your website… but if you don’t throw more paint pellets, I mean, quality original articles at your target market… you’ll never know the potential of your unique ability and expertise to attract more visitors back to your website.

It is possible to write & submit hundreds of high quality, unique and original articles without compromising your own standards of quality…and by doing so, you’ll find traffic attraction success in less time and in a greater volume than if you just threw a few darts at a target.

Bill Johnson writes:

I’ve got several articles written and written for submission. But I’m not allowed to submit them. Just how long DOES it take to get upgraded from Basic Membership, anyhow?

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Don Fourtner writes:

I am always getting new ideas for articles. The problem I have is rushing through a first draft in a spare moment and submitting the article before it is ready. I would suggest, perhaps to myself also, that one write first drafts as soon as they get an idea and then polish it smooth over the next few days before submitting.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 3:54 PM

adJingo writes:

Agreed – nice article.

You increase your probability by having more related content out there about your products and services. In some respects, like the old saying goes, it’s a numbers game.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 3:57 PM

i love getting your emails..i agree with you on this one, but it seems to take forever for me to get to platinum, so i can start loading more..i’m not complaining, i”m just waiting, look forward to receiving more of your informative info!

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Sophie writes:

Great tips! I suppose that goes for selecting keywords too, and having different on on many pages. You never know which ones will get the most hits.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Chris has delivered this same message consistently for the last 3 plus years that I know. Of the 116,674 less than .1% have over 1,000 articles. What surprised me is that even though Chris continues to encourage authors to write more, a recent posting by him revealed that the average monthly submission is 4 articles. Article writing is truly a habit and sometimes due to work schedules, one cannot write an article a day. However, this is the best marketing strategy bare none because it is targeted, is affordable and provides almost immediate feedback as to the success of the marketing effort. My thanks to Chris and his staff.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Mark Franklin writes:

Very timely newsletter as I am building a new web site around the very concept you are writing about.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Marc writes:

Yep. Even I could get something to stick if I threw enough spaghetti at the wall.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 5:59 PM

annie writes:

@Marc, thanks for humour. I would throw in the meat too!Look forward to reading your spaghetti threads.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 6:03 PM

You noticed eh? :)

What I do know is that more new members today are writing more per month than a year ago… and I think there are two clear camps: Those who dabble vs. those who dominate; perhaps it may always be that way?

Four (4) articles a month and in no time you’ll have a target that looks like this:
EzineArticles Expert Author who Dominates

Welcome to Platinum Unlimited status… Check your email. :)

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Thank you for getting my lazy *ss moving. It’s September for heavens sake and I’ve got ideas galore but have been sitting on them.
I will get to it because you said it, “you never know when or which one” will get you into the spotlight or get you the next JV partner etc.
Great stuff Chris.
Gregory Anne

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Henry writes:

That was a motivating post.
Thanks for that Chris.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Donna Kim-Brand writes:

insightful as ever. Reminds me of the ‘ready, fire, aim’ approach, with the caveat that we still must remember to AIM!
With that in mind, I could use some clarification of Sophie’s comments on Key Words. Seems like there are the ‘other two’ camps here- narrow niche vs. related but eclectic niche approach. Any thoughts?

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 7:46 PM

James writes:

Thanks Chris. I bet it was fun making that target graphic. Splodge!

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Thanks Chris. I get busy and forget that I need to write articles to help drive traffic to my site. I tell my members that they need to be the authority in their niche, and we all know that writing articles is a sure fire way to get there. Thanks for the motivation.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 8:50 PM

I’m betting on it, Chris.
For the first time in my over three years online, I’m finally ready to start offering my Soul alignment and inducing consciousness live group coaching.
Once the offer is up, I’ll be writing and submitting articles targetted to those I feel I’ll be able to serve.
Thank you for continuing to inspire and prod.

Comment provided September 3, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

So true. I wrote an article about haiku a while back and I think it now has over 50,000 views.

Who knew?

Of course, you can circumvent some of the guess work by identifying keywords in the long tail and writing articles geared towards them.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Jeanne May writes:

Yeah it was a reminder for me as well. I know article writing is essential for marketing your business, yet it is something I don’t make a commitment to do. I’ve got to swing the pendulum to writing articles rather than finding something else to do instead. For me it is a matter of developing the habit of writing articles!

Enough said!

Thanks for the encouragement Chris!

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 5:07 AM

Sun Refinance writes:

I 100% agreed with that. But that only effect if you are expert in writing fresh and new topic. What if you are low experienced?

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 6:45 AM

Feng Shui Sheri writes:

Very good point. There are so many Feng Shui Consultants that I need to constantly be submitting quality, unique articles to my target market to help me stand out from the rest.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 6:51 AM

Hi Chris!

Interesting comparison. This is a true image of what happens when you submit articles regularly!

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 6:58 AM

Sun Refinance asked about being low experience? Exactly what does that mean? Low experience in writing? Low work experience?

With the financial industry in disarray, there are incredible opportunities for writing. What this all boils down to is what Chris said earlier: “Are you a dabbler or a dominator?” The answer to that question might be within your strategic plan specific to your values and your marketing goals. How committed are you to growing your business? (Values) What daily measurable actions are you taking? (Goals)

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Get this:

Why is it easier to blow $5000 on a PPC campaign than it is to blow $5000 of your time writing & submitting articles?

I think the answer comes down to the immediacy of the spend. With PPC, you win or lose instantly and there is NEVER a residual traffic from the spend.

With article writing & marketing, you get a traffic payback that lasts YEARS.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 10:09 AM

“With article writing & marketing, you get a traffic payback that lasts YEARS.”

Exactly! When I shared this in a forum where most spent hours marketing via traffic exchanges, I got the feeling that writing seemed more overwhelming.

It’s the long term, residual marketing ‘payment’ received from the investment in article marketing that makes it a natural number one method. But it may require more personal ‘out on a limb’ confidence than PPC, TE or other less personal internet marketing choices.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Besides what Chris said, the visitor that goes to your site after reading your article is a person interested on what you have to offer.

They looked for your article trying to find the answers that you can give, so the value of their visit is immense, while the visitors from traffic exchanges are simply passing though your site and taking a look ‚¬€ if they ever care about it.

If you notice at Google Analytics, most visitors that come from traffic exchanges usually don’t spend any time at your site, they don’t read anything!

Their presence is good only for your ranking, because the number of visits counts, but they are very far from being potential costumers.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Of course Chris! I agreed with you, article writing is the lifeblood of driving good traffic to websites…

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Alejandro Guevara Onofre writes:

A lot of experts don’t have many articles (there are also few words: 250-300). This is a HUGE SURPRISE for me! Perhaps a strategy…
Greetings from Lima, Peru

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 3:50 PM

The experts with fewer articles had clearly identified their target market. As an expert author, I did not have such early clarity and wrote in a variety of topics making me look like dabbler instead of dominator. Lesson learned.

Comment provided September 4, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

To Bill,

I worried all week that EzineArticles may never allow me to submit another article when I hit that 10 article plateau. I was one happy camper when I read my email and saw I had become a platinum member of EzineArticles.

Thanks to EzineArticles I get to continue writing for a quality publishing company and that means the world to me.

I consistently come across articles in my searches that were written quite some time ago and they are still in a good position for searchers to click on. It makes me feel confident and proud that I am writing for the right publishing company.

Thanks Chris for your dream of perfection.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Dear Chris, I am dying to get to platinum. I can’t submit anymore , i’m up to the 35 mark, yet 6 more articles are pending..i’ve been waiting over a week this normal or are you back logged because of the long weekend..

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Linda Robison writes:

Hi All,

I’m fairly new here — have submitted only 6 articles over the last two months or so.

I just noticed that 3 of my articles were picked-up or published. How can I find out where these articles are published.

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM

You know, using this analogy, I can no longer even see the target! It’s covered and my articles have covered the subject matter. New Targets Please!

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Hi Lance!

What a coincidence! I had just sent a message to my webmaster because my reviser just sent me my last e-book finally, when I saw your message coming.

You hit the center! Congratulations!

By the way, I’m going to surpass you for sure, when I’ll have time to write more. I’m already writing 2 or 3 articles per day, without having any time for them.

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I believe someone will some day surpass me, could 2009 be the year? Maybe it will be you? It will be someone. Indeed, I am using my voice software very rarely these days, so I am sure someone with that technology, someone who is driven and has an abundance of knowledge, experience, observation and wisdom will have enough material in their brains to blow by me like I am sitting still! I hope it will be someone like you!

Comment provided September 9, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Thank you! I only need time!

Comment provided September 9, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Carolyn Mabbitt writes:

Very helpful information I have several clients whom I write articles and blogs for and it has greatly increased their business.

Comment provided September 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Leon Noone writes:

‘day Chris
I’m a convert to your paint pellet approach….from Down Under. I sent my first 5 EzineArticles to you in April this year. At the time, I couldn”t imagine getting even 20 together.

I was wrong.So far you’ve published 45 of my ezines. I’ll submit 5 more this month and have plans for lots more.

Your newsletter and other material are very helpful and informative.Your tips work. I’ve been getting a good response to my offer of a free Special Report in “About The Author” too.

I’ve also had to learn to edit my work severely to make it more “ezineable.” That’s good discipline for a garrulous Aussie!
Many Thanks

Comment provided September 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM

thank you so much Chris for getting me into platinum! this is exciting, now I just have to learn how to crank them out! I’m used to cranking out paintings but not articles…practice, practice, practice….

Comment provided September 9, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Sharon writes:

Hi Chris,

Yes, I agree! Success with article marketing come with consistent effort–4 articles every month will really add up over time and increase your exposure!

Comment provided September 11, 2008 at 2:01 PM

This target should have three dimensions, because our articles have many applications.

We not only promote our business, building our sites and blogs with them:

– we give lessons,
– we have ready material to give to everyone for consultancy,
– we can show to the public that we are very active in the internet, producing new content every day,
– we see the public reaction with our work
– we test our keywords, finding out if the titles we choose for our e-books are demanded, based on our article’s titles, and many things more!

I discovered that recently with the title of one of my new ebooks.

When I saw that the article with the title I intended to give to my ebook was not being red, while another article with similar title was one of my best ones, I simply changed the ebook’s title, giving it the old article’s title, since it had excellent results.

Keywords are very important! Through our articles we can test all our keywords and discover which the best ones are, not only for our next articles but for everything else that we want to do in the internet.

Comment provided September 12, 2008 at 7:10 AM

So quantity over quality is the way to go?

I believe the Nigerian email scammers use a same technique. Send out one million attempts in the hope of get a handful of hits.

Comment provided September 12, 2008 at 6:40 PM

James Broadfoot writes:

Great visuals. This is a great reminder. Content is king but it is easy to forget how important it is to keep putting it out there.

Comment provided September 13, 2008 at 5:47 AM

Melbourne Aussie,

Sorry, you’ve got it wrong. :)

Quality Without Quantity won’t bring you to the traffic finish line.

Quantity Without Quality is a recipe for account termination.

Quality With Quantity is the perfect strategy.

Consistency is key.

Comment provided September 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM

James Broadfoot writes:

I’ll take quality over quantity any day. Still, a good reminder for a writer to be more prolific. Consistency is definitely key.

Comment provided September 13, 2008 at 10:39 AM

A better definition:

You must write articles of excellent quality and regularly if you want to be considered an ideal author.

The quality of your article is more important than anything else, because if it is poor, it won’t be accepted and it won’t help your readers in any way.

However, you don’t have to be a perfectionist from the beginning. Write as much as you can doing your best, but if your articles are not so excellent, never mind, submit them and keep writing. With time you’ll improve your writing.

This means that quality is always basic, but quantity counts too. Don’t spend a week writing only one or two articles! Be objective.

On the other hand, give good always good content to your readers: help them learn something after reading your article. If you won’t satisfy them, they will never care about your site and your products or services.

In summary, be balanced: respect your readers, and keep writing, because you’ll only be noticed if you have many articles everywhere, with so much competition in all fields!

Comment provided September 13, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Borus writes:

This is not always true. Many, lets make that thousands of writers here at EzineArticles do basic rewrites or post some sort of worthless or badly written junk. These articles are destined for the back of search (Google minus 950 area or similar) or the Google supplemental index altogether. Crappy content almost always gets crappy results.

This is why some of the most prolific writers here have lately been finding their conversions, traffic, etc… are dropping like flies. Matt Cutts and other Google bigwigs have publicly stated if you have nothing original to say in your content and it is not of high quality it WILL be headed for the back of search sooner rather than later.

If you write 100 crappy articles that are plagiaristic rewrites of others works (which, unfortunately many articles here at EzineArticles are) then you will not have the level of success of someone that takes the time to write quality, fresh, useful content. The better the quality, the better you will do – its as simple as that.

There is also one more problem that Google has hinted at – the devaluing of article links. All one has to do is look up their links (backlinks that is) from Google, Yahoo and MSN. Have you noticed that Google rarely counts any of the ones from article marketing efforts? As Google themselves have stated on their blog and discussion board – article marketing efforts can be seen as spammy and they do not count the vast majority of these links at all.

Now that doesn’t mean you won’t get any traffic, but it does mean you won’t get the PR (pagerank) juice that you once used to on Google. Basically article links are akin to using a no follow tag with Google – Matt Cutts and others at Google have stated they specifically do not give any relevance to article links – especially ones that look spammy. You will still get what is esentially advertising traffic, but that is it.

And being that Google now controls over 70% of the internet you may want to find additional avenues for traffic generation than just relying on article marketing. Besides if you just rely on article marketing, which it does see as spammy behavior, it WILL eventually hurt your trust and ranking in the serps (Google, etc…)

Bottomline – its not worth your efforts to churn out useless rewrites and low quality articles. It will hurt your trust level or ranking with the biggest search engines and these articles/links will live forever on the serps and will hurt your website for many, many years. Instead use article marketing and other avenues wisely. Don’t spam, use rewrites, or post poor quality, spammy stuff. Strive to publish quality. Make yourself really appear as an expert. Provide something of value that the reader can’t get anywhere else. Strive to better yourself. If you do this you will do fine. If you don’t you will be one of the countless writers that is always complaining and wondering why your results tend to dwindle and what used to work gets you less and less results. Don’t churn out mass spam and crap – Google will attach a permanent stigma to you, your name, your website, your address, etc… It’s part of what they are doing to rid the internet of useless trash and spam content.

Comment provided September 14, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Great information, Borus!

When I say that you must keep writing without sticking if your article is not so perfect is that you don’t need to exaggerate trying to write a super article and never submit your article if you never reach the level you desire. Don’t be so perfectionist from the beginning!

If you respect your readers giving them good information, it doesn’t matter if you are not the best writer of this world. Keep writing and with time you’ll improve your style.

Never copy anyone and be always honest, of course! This is obvious! You will never succeed if you provoke problems to the others and even if you succeed this way, your success won’t last for long.

Submit many articles, because you need volume to face all the competition, even if your articles are not so super and if they won’t be in the first pages of Google, because at least you get known. Besides, you never know which article will be preferred by many publishers that my use your material in their sites, promoting your work, even if your articles are not preferred by the search engines.

However, respect your readers! Give them good content: make them feel happy for reading your articles and learning what you have to say.

If you cannot write good articles even though you’ve tried hard to, there are ghostwriters and editors that can help you!

Comment provided September 14, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Bill Johnson writes:

On a very-closely-related topic, I’m wondering whether there is an advantage (or disadvantage) to posting articles on multiple sites? I am currently posting articles only on and Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not it would be advisable to post articles on other sites? If so, how many others? Recommendations as to which other ones?

Comment provided September 14, 2008 at 3:05 PM

I don’t have time to submit my articles to other places. I only submit them to EzineArticles and to my blogs now. In the past I submitted them to a few other sites.

You can create your own blog in seconds using Blogger, WordPress, etc. This way you can post all your articles there and have a good ranking, because the search engines like blogs very much, since they are regularly updated with new content.

Whenever I have time, I submit my articles also to and to because they are popular and they have many links, staying at the top of the search engines’ pages. Another great article directory is – I see a lot of traffic coming from this site when I have time to submit my articles there.

There are many others; you can find a list with the best article directories if you look for it. Even if you don’t have time to submit your articles to many places, if they are good, many publishers will use them in their sites, spreading your word.

You have many advantages if your articles are submitted to many places but if you overdo it and the same article is in too many places, this will be problematic.

Write many articles and submit many different ones to many places!

Comment provided September 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM

I only submit to EzineArticles except for my very specially niched articles and those go to online trade journals or very very specific websites that cater to only a specific niche clientele. I’d advise all Article Authors to stick with EzineArticles because of its great reputation.

I had a discussion about this recently, with another article author here who I happened to meet by chance while traveling at a Starbucks, I bought them the last Frappachino on my Starbucks card and we talked for an hour on this subject, I wished I had video taped it. We went thru all the issues and debate, in the end we came to the conclusion, don’t waste your time stick with EzineArticles.

Comment provided September 14, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Borus, would you please uncloak yourself and use your true identity? Your comments sound decent, but if you are hiding your identity, it looks bad and thus makes it hard to trust what you are saying. And mind you it’s not that I disagree with you, because I actually get upset at some of the articles I have read that are obviously SEO gone wild.

Comment provided September 14, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Borus’ information was too professional, really. But he is right.

Comment provided September 14, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Christina, yes it is my contention that there is just too many folks writing gobs of articles posting them all over the Internet, totally laden with key-words and abusive SEO tactics only to send people to websites that are for Adsense. If I were google, I would perhaps modify the algorithms to reduce the ranking of such articles and their links.

Worse, I sometimes worry when folks steam my articles and post them on for AdSense websites and blogs, knowing that my articles are helping perpetuate these problems, thus, I am worried about being penalized for doing nothing wrong.

My question is; is Borus real? My inclination is no, is Borus a competitor in the online article submission directory site venue? Perhaps? Is Borus in the know? Did he add in a few of his own opinions to that post? Was it copied and pasted; if so where from?

I have read an interesting article in MIT News about this issue, but it said nothing about online article sites, it was addressing SEO content and the petition for the Justice Department to revue Google’s policies claiming anti-trust violations for reducing ranking of a website that was a competing directory in a way and was also an adsense customer that was forced to bid higher for key word ads.

But the article I read was more about the issues of quality and the Google Spokesman was the same as the one Borus indicated, I believe that article was in the Washington Post the other day and did bring up a good argument, in that if Google is trying to better the experience for the Internet User then they are going to have to make judgment calls on the rankings of some websites.

Although, the article indicated that if you compete against Google, there is a an advantage for them to lower your ranking status.

I have not seen my click rates through drop, I have been watching them increase almost to the point that I am considering no links in my resource box to slow down the onslaught of traffic, its just too much for me when I really need to concentrate on my writing and getting the information out to the world. See that point? Anyway, like you Christina, I do agree with Borus’ comments, still, I’d like more information and even to talk with gentleman or woman off line whoever they really are.

Comment provided September 14, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Ewan Kennedy writes:

Ultimately, one has to hope and work on the assumption that good quality will triumph over rubbish, just like good over evil. All content on the internet has an audit trail, so those who work against the interests of the majority are bound to find it harder and harder, as Google’s grip gets tighter.

Comment provided September 17, 2008 at 5:36 AM

This proposed idea is so true and using the paint ball analogy allows the reader to draw an easy mental picture. Job well done!

I have found that article writing is not only a great way to get traffic, but after you have written several articles, you can re-purpose them. What I mean is you can gather them together into an ebook that you can either give away or sell!

Either way, you are informing people and getting traffic… a great way to go!

Comment provided September 25, 2008 at 5:39 AM

Surrey Builders writes:

This is seriously invaluable advice which is still relevant 5 years later.

Comment provided April 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM