Your Own EzineArticles Followers or Fans

Need your help with a decision:

Soon you’ll be able to allow your EzineArticles readership to subscribe via email to receive email updates whenever you have a new article accepted/published on our site. Essentially, we’ll be helping you create a following or fan base using our traffic to become loyal fans of you and your article content.

We’ve already determined it would not be in real-time but rather a daily summary email would be compiled for each member. If you had 4 or 40 articles accepted in the last 24 hours, (1) single email summary of them would be created and sent to your EzineArticles fan base via email sometime early in the morning the next day.

Think for a moment about the user experience (and not what you’d want as an author). Should we:

1. Combine all of the new article alerts for every author that a single email subscriber has requested (ex: A user subscribes to 7 authors he or she wants to track their newest articles – We’d auto-compile all of those 7 authors worth of new article updates in the last 24 hours and present them with a summary of them in one email) or
  2. Send one daily email summary for each author the member subscribed to? (If a user subscribed to 100 authors to track, they would get 100 emails if all 100 authors had 1 or more new articles published in the last 24 hours)

We’re trying to think ahead on this issue as the structure needs to be designed today for how this feature will work for a few years.

It’s hard to imagine if an email subscriber was a fan of 100 authors, that all 100 would have new articles posted in the last 24 hours as that probably just wouldn’t happen… but given our growth trajectory, I would be surprised if it would be a problem a year from now.

Your thoughts?

Harry Hoover writes:

Chris, the solution seems clear to me: the fewer emails the better. If I had 10 favorite authors I wanted to follow, I would like to have the ability to get all that information in a single message, not 10.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Audrey writes:

I would want only one email, BUT I’d want that email sorted either by category or by author.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Deb Gallardo writes:

I know I would NOT want to get 100 emails from anyone, let alone from someone I like, even if it were my own fault for following 100 authors. LOL

Would you be able to do the same thing that Yahoo Groups does when it send out daily summaries? Could you cap the number of entries per email at, say, 25 or so? That way, they might get a handful of emails on a “good” day, instead of 100.

Make sense?

Not sure if you could automate this (unless you’ve got a crackerjack programmer), so I’m sure you don’t want to have to do it manually.

We should all have such a problem with projected growth. *grin*

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I personally would prefer to get just one email max per day, but as a previous commenter suggested, listings by category or author would be nice.

My personal preference would be sort by author, since I have certain writers whose style really appeals to me and I would read anything they wrote.

Thanks for asking our opinion!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Kat McCarthy writes:

Definitely one email.

Sorted by author would be best in my perfect world.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

This is a good idea, and on this email should be a link to “suggest an article” to this author as well.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 2:18 PM

GREAT idea!! I would definitely want only 1 email and as others suggested have it sorted by author. Thanks!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM

So far, looks like ONE SINGLE email with a daily summary is what everyone thinks is best. We agree.

I also liked Lance’s suggestion… will think on how to integrate that as it’s currently an AJAX function that we’d have to create into a non-AJAX thing to make work; but possible.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Finally, a new incentive for me to write more articles. Great idea!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Hi Chris!

I agree with everyone. The readers wouldn’t open all the messages if they were too many.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Yes Ed… that’s what we’re hoping for.

In fact, the real power of this tool will be felt in mid 2009 when a years worth of list building has helped our strongest authors to get a large personal following of fans who hinge on wanting to be emailed every time their fav author has a new article.

…and authors with smaller footprints (less than 100 articles) will still benefit from highly targeted readership that will be alerted upon each article submission accepted.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Naturally just one email.

What is funny to me though is the idea that I might have ‘fans’. Too funny, I can’t help it.

I gotta confess though that on a couple of my articles? I don’t really want to know they are following me. I know that sounds goofy, but ohh, I just might want to be left in the dark on them, cause of the ‘why’. Lol.

Fans.. hummm, I like the sound of that!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Chris writes:

Option #1, please.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Amy K. Jones writes:

I love the idea, but I too would only want to get one email alert.

Comment provided August 24, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I’d want one email sorted by author. My preference would be an email that identified the authors I follow by topic.

I too like Lance’s idea. Interesting that he comes up with great ideas, he must have an idea cooker somewhere?

Comment provided August 25, 2008 at 2:46 PM

ken long writes:

maximize user choice for delivery:
1 email option
1 email per selected author
option to select author with certain keywords only (ie i want smith’s article on culture but nothing else)

should have a master criteria sheet where i can make all my selections on a single page for up to 10 auhors for free or more for a fee, which could be waived for prolific authors

Comment provided August 26, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Stan Dubin writes:

Definitely one email as a digest.

Comment provided August 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Bill Guerra writes:

No I would not shoot out 100 emails daily but one email every 24 hours. Within these emails separate each author by say a red bar or something.

Comment provided August 29, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Until your blog comment, I was thinking of only sending them out in PLAIN ASCII TEXT.

Hadn’t even considered HTML, but will consider it.

Comment provided August 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Bill Guerra writes:

Hi Chris,
separated topic’s by a red bar. The reason i suggested that is your branding is of course red!

Comment provided September 2, 2008 at 12:38 AM

John writes:

Maybe a stupid question, but is there a provision for what people can do to stop receiving email notices about individual authors they no longer wish to follow? If a single email is used, can readers opt out of part or all the authors on their list, and authors find out when fans are no longer loyal followers?

Comment provided September 10, 2008 at 12:29 AM

For our new service that has not been released yet, of course you will be able to never receive notices of any individual author you don’t wish to follow.

For clarification, this new service has nothing to do with our current email alerts that are available for all 569 niche markets we serve.

Comment provided September 10, 2008 at 1:34 PM