CAPTCHA Branding

We use CAPTCHA’s in various sections of EzineArticles in order to prevent non-humans from doing various activities within the site.

Rather than show random useless numbers, words or phrases… we decided to integrate components of the EzineArticles article writing & marketing brands into the various words and phrases that will now show up.

[Example of it in use here.]
EzineArticles using branding in CAPTCHA

You can click on the CAPTCHA scroll thing on the upper left of the CAPTCHA to check out the various words and phrases we dreamed up that relate to EzineArticles in some way.

How’d we do it? Our developers just hacked our existing CAPTCHA code to rotate our list of words & phrases in…instead of a random generator.

Factoid: CAPTCHA stands for Complete Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.

What the heck is a “Turing test” you ask? It’s a test of a machine or computers ability to demonstrate intelligence.

Anyway, not a major innovation, but each small improvement adds to the whole experience.

Lastly, sorry… we won’t be sharing the extensive list of words & phrases being used in order to prevent abuse.

Ryan writes:

I like it. Most sites make it so difficult that even I can’t read the letter/number combinations. This makes it easier for a human to read.

Comment provided August 18, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Hi Chris!

Even though I’m still reading the revision of the third ebook I wrote lately (I wrote four and I’m writing the fifth, but gradually, as I translate the dreams of several contributors), and I’m still receiving dreams for translation, I need to rest for a while and care for my hobby, for example!

I’ll try to come here and help you organize our site, because this place belongs to us the authors, too!

To tell you the truth the big graphic with my most viewed articles in the beginning of my page is not something I’m appreciating!

And I really miss a search box in order to find an article quickly, because I use my articles very much to teach my students, subscribers, patients, etc.. My articles are real lessons. So, many times I want to give an article’s link to someone and I have to look for it.

I solved this problem using my blogs, since I post my articles there. However, there times that I just want to see something in an article! Why shouldn’t I have a search box and simply type there a few words of the article’s title in order to find it immediately? This is an indispensable tool for us, the authors!

Now, about your captcha, I agree with Ryan. There are captchas that really make me want to give up! Like on Digg, for example. They use upper case with lower case and numbers together, and everything is also somehow mixed up in a way that we can hardly identify each number or letter separately! I feel lucky when I discover the right captcha from the beginning! And if I don’t, they offend me! saying things like ‚¬“Rats!‚¬ ‚¬“The captcha is wrong!‚¬ I feel like an idiot!

Besides this irrelevant detail, Digg is a great site. And you can change the captcha or listen to it! I never tried this option. It must be funny!

Comment provided August 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Edward Weiss writes:

Very cool. EzineArticles should win an entrepreneur’s award for new innovations.

Comment provided August 18, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Christina,

I’m not liking our big graphical charts in the article reports either… We’re flexing our on-the-fly chart making abilities. Later this week or month, we’ll be looking for input as to how this should evolve as I know we don’t have it quite right yet.

We do provide you with a search box in your membership area when you know ARTICLE ID but don’t know the rest. I can see how a search engine just for your own articles might be helpful. I’ll put your request on our to do list for consideration. Thanks.

Comment provided August 18, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Thank you for your attention!

The graphic with our most viewed articles is something we may desire to see only once in a while, like our author rankings. Besides that, the most viewed don’t change so often!

Comment provided August 18, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Gamini K. writes:

Innovative I must say. why is that I find it difficult to read the characters in yellow? Is some thing wrong with my eye sight.? Or is it intentional so that only the members who are obviously familiar with the words can pick it up?

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Gamini,

You asked if we can get rid of the color YELLOW?

DONE.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn’t like it either. :)

-Chris

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Richard Muir writes:

Good to see a bit of innovation.

Rich

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 12:23 AM

I think it is a very good idea. I hate these capture where you cannot read anything and you just keep trying but you will not get it right.

The worst is when you also loose all the boxes that you previously fill up. So I would like to show my support to this great idea. Thanks

Comment provided September 2, 2008 at 4:58 AM

Shafir Ahmad writes:

Pretty interesting. However, some of these phrases are really long!

Such as “member galleries” & “editiorial guidelines” – see, i cant even spell that right

Comment provided September 26, 2008 at 4:00 AM