Article Marketing Cafe

Jeff Herring interviews Chris Knight on Article Writing/MarketingEzineArticles Expert Author Jeff Herring interviewed me this past week for an hour on questions his clients asked about Article Writing & Marketing.

At the end of the event, I went back and listened to the entire live event and took (7) pages of personal notes that I thought distilled the key points of the discussion Jeff & I had. Rather than sell this or use it as a bonus product, I want you to have it for free.

You can listen to it here:

Jeff & I had fun recording this. Lots of updated thoughts on various issues & elements involved in article writing & marketing strategies. Let us know what you think of it with a comment below.

Cathy Perkins writes:

Heard this interview live in the Article Marketing Cafe. It was GREAT! I hope you continue to do them once a month.

Thanks for the PDF too. Very useful!

Cathy Perkins

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Audrey Okaneko writes:

Great interview. I just read your notes. I really struggle with just one thought to an article but then keeping it high in words. Some thoughts I just can’t come up with 50 or 100 more words, leaving my articles at 300 words, not your suggested 400 words :(

That section is what stood out most for me in your notes.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Janis Miller writes:

Jeff Herring really knows his subject. Thank you for this great resource, Chris. I appreciate your leadership in article marketing. It is a great help to many.

Live joyfully!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Try forgetting focusing on word count and instead focus on providing immense value for your ideal reader;

Tell them How to do it; Why doing it is important; Tips of things to avoid or make sure they do; bullet points & lists are great ways to add more value.

If you’re writing about recipe’s, then write about how to choose the right quality of ingredients or time saving tips while making a particular recipe… or acceptable substitutes if the reader doesn’t have all of the perfect ingredients available.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Carter Boylston writes:

I think you and Jeff are an incredible team and an inspiration for me. Since I’ve started reading this blog, I realize that there’s some great passion and excitement behind EzineArticles. Plus Jeff offers some incredible value to the Internet Marketing community.

You guys are giving me great clarity of where I want to take my marketing efforts in the future. I appreciate all of this.

– Carter

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 9:56 AM

PowerHunters writes:

We listened to the audio and it was amazing. Glad you put together the PDF as well for everyone. Its a great help.

What everyone should focus on, is the content and ensure that its interesting to read and not worry about how short or how long it is.

Look forward to more tips from you.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Tom Raef writes:

Awesome information! I have been restructuring my article writing strategy and the tips and insight provided during this audio was exactly what I needed.

Thank you.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I just Plurked, Stumbled and Twitted this, or is it tweeted? My goodness it is all becoming so complicated! LOL Anyway I am listening to the audio as I move along…even now. EXCELLENT! ~Kathy

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Andrew Poletto writes:

Chris, awesome interview! Loved it! Thanks for the pdf as well!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Tracey Lawton writes:

Great notes! I enjoyed reading them, and especially getting an ‘inside look’ into EzineArticles as to what you’re looking for in an author and the quality of articles.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 12:44 PM

TEN MILLION monthly visitors! Are you joking!

Ohh my gosh! I gotta get on the stick and write my brains out! Man! I must re-do my website! Opportunities missed if I don’t right? gads!

Listening to this, everything starts with an idea. We are ALL capable of our ideas becoming something that did not exist before, just like a painting.

I woke up feeling kind of bummed really, but feel the ‘opportunity’ eluded to. One step at a time, one article at a time.. ONWARD!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Nope, not joking.

…and those are uniques; not just repeat visitors.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Intereting little interview you have put together here.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Phillip writes:

Thanks Chris Jeff … excellent information excellent timing for me I’m about to publish a batch of articles Ive been working on … only just realized article marketing is not going away …

Even though I enjoy the whole procedure when researching an article to promote … now suddenly through the ongoing email series of excellent information we EzineArticles members enjoy … AT Last once and for all I get it!! The value of submitting well written articles can be very rewarding.

All my best to you and your rewards,
Phillip Skinner

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Lalitha Brahma writes:

I read the PDF material. Excellent interview. Thanks.
I have very little idea about keywords and write my article on the basis of what I do in my business and how I do it. I also notice my articles published in some websites. I see that in some of my articles published in these websites, sometimes the URL/links in the Resource box is changed. Chris, can you comment as to Why this is happening and how we can prevent this from happening?

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Chris, thank you for the great content. And the PDF was the perfect bonus!

I vote for you doing a monthly “TIPS” thing together. You are an awesome team!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Hi Chris!

Only now I could listen to your interview!

It is very good for beginners.

Perhaps you could say something different next time. You could talk about advanced article marketing, show us new writing techniques, smart ways to find the right keywords without wasting time!

I don’t know what! just something different and helpful that wouldn’t be a repetition of what you have already said many times before, and that would not be only for beginners.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Christina, you cutie! You just never believe me.. Waaa!

It IS about keywords. Said poem I mentioned above, has had over 5000 reads just this month and over 28,261 reads thus far. I published it last November. It is because of the niche and keywords I used.

I have other poems in another niche that have had great results because of keywords too, giving me 15,000 – 5,000 reads, that continues on. I know it continues because of the new “Most Viewed” addition in stats that EzineArticles just added.

It isn’t wasting time to find good keywords.

You think I am a dumb blond maybe.. LOL, but honey I ain’t!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Hi Kathy!

I’m grateful for your lessons about keywords, but I don’t have time for that. In the beginning I tried to, and I saw that it worked but I have to waste at least half an hour for each article with this matter!

I prefer to write more articles without caring for the keywords than writing fewer articles, but full of strong keywords.

Perhaps I’m wrong though! My most viewed article since last August has only 10.512 views. Of course I didn’t care about the keywords when I wrote it! I almost never do.

Only for the article’s title I try to use the keywords that I already know from previous researches that are the most demanded ones. This is why I begin my article’s titles with standard keywords like ‚¬“Depression and Suicide‚¬, ‚¬“Mental Health for Life‚¬, etc. and I really describe what the article is about in the subtitle.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Hey beautiful Christina.

My oh my! If you have an article with 10,512 views then YOU KNOW what you are doing! Yay for you Christina!

We all use the road that works best for us I guess.

Hugs to ya darlin’ with tons of brilliant dreams.

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Thank you! The same for you!

Comment provided August 22, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Harvesh Modh writes:

Hello, Chris

Thanks a lot for PDF. It is really useful. i just love it. I learn a lot. It was Great..
Thanks again.

Harvesh Modh

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 5:32 AM

Don Aronson writes:

Hi Chris,

What a wonderful presentation you and Jeff made! You’ve definitely been a great help to me and I just want you to know how much I appreciate all you’ve done. By the way, I’m very proud of my mug on my desk…Thanks!

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Chris, could you tell me something: shall an author look for the right keywords, wasting the time that could be used to write another article, or shall he/she better ignore the keywords and keep writing more articles?

A combination of both would be ideal ‚¬€ thank you! But we are talking about daily life and many things to do at the same time! What should an author prefer?

1- Write only one article after keyword research with strong keywords in the title and the in the article’s body?

2- Or: write two or three articles about different subjects during the same amount of time, having the chance to have more readers because of the number of articles and the existence of natural keywords?

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Poorly researched keyword articles IN VOLUME will usually beat highly optimized keyword smart articles in small volume of articles…

Meaning, once you nail the quality of article strategy you’re after, you must do volume in order to make an impact.

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I hope so, because I cannot waste my time looking for the right keywords! I prefer to simply write another article.

However, Kathy said something very interesting that I heard before: too many visitors thanks to only one article!

This means that an article full of strong keywords can bring you let’s say 5.000 visitors in three months, while a simple article written without keyword research will bring you only 100 ‚¬€ 200 visitors in the same period of time.

Even if you have 10 articles that will bring you 200 visitors in three months, the clicks in the optimized article surpass them.

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Lance-Winslow writes:

Chris writes; “Poorly researched keyword articles IN VOLUME will usually beat highly optimized keyword smart articles in small volume of articles!”

This is absolutely true. Of course, with that said one should get use to properly key-wording articles and think in terms of the long-tail theory when choosing them. Once you get the volume up there and create a habit of making use of good key-wording, you will see a dramatic increase in the number of viewers. My belief is that properly key wording, with matching titles is paramount. But what would I know about that?

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Very wise guys… you and Chris, Lance. The fact is, ‘what do I know?!!’ Like DA Kathy, Nadda!

Hey Lance, I thought we were getting married Mr. Zillion Article Man! Oh wait, I already am married. Humm well that presents a problem. LOL Well I know there are many standing in line anyway, and I’d get lost in the crowd.

I listened to this interview again.. yup it is so good.

Thank you Jeff Herring. More please!

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Brilliant, Chris.
I love the integrity with which you operate. I can see why EzineArticles has such staying power. I got a lot from this interview, Cafe-style. Please continue them.

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Hi Lance!

In the Internet you cannot be abstract. You have to be specific and use words that have no ambiguous meanings and that people use when they are looking for something.

For example, the word ‚¬“psychotherapy‚¬ describes much better what you receive when you translate your dreams according to the scientific method, but most people look for the word ‚¬“treatment‚¬. If you don’t know this detail, you may write many excellent articles with the wrong keyword, that no-one will read, while a silly article with the right one will have many visitors.

On the other hand, I noticed that many times I never repeat a keyword but my articles are at the top, because their meaning is very good. I concluded that it must happen because I use many synonyms, what is favorable for the search engines.

There are times that I believe that there is a human being deciding which articles must be at the top though, when I see one of my very abstract articles at the top. The meaning is always excellent because my articles are lessons, but how can the search engines understand that if there are no keywords or their synonyms in the entire article?

I’m a real writer, so when I write I avoid repeating the same word. I almost never repeat a word more than twice in a 250 words document. Many times I don’t even use synonyms. But if the article’s meaning is very good, if it really teaches and helps the readers, it is at the top, in the first page.

However, at the top are also many sites and blogs that should be banned because they use stolen content, but they have many links!

The search engines have many methods to evaluate everything.

This is why each one follows his or her own method and in the end the results are the same.

If you are a marketer, you are going to use links and keywords and copy articles from others using ‚¬“your own words‚¬, rewrite many times the same article changing only a few things, because you need volume: many articles in the entire internet.

If you are a doctor you are going to write without caring for keywords or numbers, but only for the quality and the accuracy of the information you are providing. Your articles will give real and precious information to your readers and this is why you’ll be at the top, near the marketer who arrived there following a totally different road.

Comment provided August 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Lorrie Craven writes:

Chris, Thank you, Thank you!
I’m a newbie at EzineArticles and this one of the best learning hours I’ve experienced. Thanks also for taking the time to create the PDF it is so helpful.
You and Jeff make a wonderful team.

Comment provided August 24, 2008 at 3:50 AM

Lance-Winslow writes:

Christina, as a real writer myself, that is to say a non-article marketer or over the top SEO bandit, I am not so concerned with SEO strategies, in fact, I am more into the information than the search engine ranking. and yet, I am careful to work to make good titles.

Comment provided August 24, 2008 at 4:47 AM

Great work, fellas! Jeff Herring’s success formula of starting with a 7-tip article is just what many people need. Everyone has “intellectual property” that is worth money on the open market. Getting organized is the key. Leveraging a great article distribution system like EzineArticles is also critical. -Michael Angelo Caruso,

Comment provided August 24, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Chris, your personal notes from the interview are very helpful. Everyone should download this .pdf now! Thx for providing this great service. -Michael Angelo Caruso

Comment provided August 24, 2008 at 8:06 AM

The title is really basic!

Comment provided August 24, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Emma Martin writes:

Chris, thanks for putting together the notes! I don’t usually have patience for video, but I always have time to read :)

Christina, I find the best way to use keyword tools is to use them to figure out what kind of information my audience is trying to find. Why are they using those particular keywords? What do they need to know?

I always do keyword research for my articles and I keep some index cards with lists of the ones I think will be most fruitful for articles, but once I start writing I try not to worry about the key words too much. I’ll make sure the main ones are in my title, but the article body takes care of itself. If I’m answering the question that the searcher was looking for in the first place, then they should find my article.

Sometimes I bomb out, but most of the time it works very well.

Comment provided August 25, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Sydney Rose writes:

I want to download the interview to listen on my ipod but I can’t. The link to download it just launches Quicktime with no download the mp3 option. Can you help?

Comment provided September 2, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Right click on the download link and SAVE it to your Hard drive… perhaps put it in your MY MUSIC/ iTunes sub-directory. Then, find it on your hard drive, right click on it, select OPEN WITH … iTunes. From here, you can then add it to a playlist or sync it up with your iPod/iPhone, etc.

Comment provided September 2, 2008 at 11:58 AM

I was just reading your notes. It suggests setting up the Twitter ‘module‘ within your Ezine Article account. I hunted and hunted and finally found it in “Author Bio Public Display” -just in case anyone else would like to know. Smile.

Comment provided September 2, 2008 at 12:03 PM

A question about your notes: You say to never abuse social media to spam your new articles. Can you clarify that a little? I notice on MySpace you have not posted one blog, is that why? I think I might be guilty of spamming my own articles! Waa! Out to ignorance I promise. Should I only post on ezines, not any of my blogs or any of my social sites? The reason I have posted on some like MySpace is because I get feedback. Ohh! I am nervous now… and confused.

Comment provided September 2, 2008 at 12:19 PM

What we’re trying to prevent is overzealous authors posting URLs splatted all over the place… leading some sites to think we are spammers, when in fact, we are not.

When in doubt, go conservative or only promote to your client or permission-based membership.

Right now we’re unable to get relevant EzineArticles posted on Digg because of overzealous members who spammed them in the past. :(

Comment provided September 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM

I thought you liked to see us posting also links with our articles everywhere. This is promotional. When I can, I do that, and even on my blogs. I always post also my EzineArticles-expert-author’s link.

Comment provided September 2, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Bobby Keating writes:

I just wanted to say ‘thanks!’ I have not only enjoyed reading all of the great stuff that you write but also the increase in recognition that I have gotten through the power of Article writing and is a blessing.

Comment provided September 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM