Top Authors List Enhanced

The “Top Authors” by article volume template has been updated to include author photos, short author bio’s and links so that our users/your readership can dig deeper into any expert author that catches their fancy.
[See an example here from our Ski-Resorts niche]

When we made this change, we realized that only about 40% of our top authors by article volume had their author photo uploaded. We consider the author photo of critical importance in establishing credibility with your articles, but we also understand that many members have many reasons why they don’t want to include an author photo with their articles.

Rather than require every member to upload an author photo (something we wished we could do but won’t be doing to keep the peace), we raised the bar by only including members with an author photo and extended bio in the top authors by quantity list. This may be unfair to members who write high quality content without posting an author photo, but we determined that the upside to delivering a positive user-experience by only showing top authors with a photo was too strong to pass up.

Yes, this means there was a massive site reshuffling in terms of who’s in the top 10 in each of the 569 niche markets we serve today together.

If you were one of the members who didn’t have an author photo or extended bio uploaded in your account profile, now is the time to do it to reclaim your place in the top authors list.

What do you think of this change?

Thaddeus Ferguson writes:

Glad I decided to put up my picture last week.
I must admit that the changes that are going on here at ezine or forcing me to get out of the habit of doing what I have been doing and at the same time I recognize that if that means better quality articles as a whole throughout then the changes are well worth it

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Judy H. Wright writes:

Hurrah:
It is like FaceBook. I like to see the face of someone I am dealing with.

Chris, how do we become an expert in one or two fields if we submit articles about a number of different things?

for instance, I write about family relationships, but that can take a hundred different directions. Can I choose where I want an article to go?

Judy H. Wright
ArtichokePress.com
AskAuntieArtichoke.com

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Judy,

I wrote an article about that:

Suzanne Jo Parker
Suzanne J. Parker
Suzanne J.P.
Suzanne Jo P.
Suzanne P.
Suzi P.
Suzi Jo.
Suzi Jo. P.
Suzi J. P.
S. Jo. Parker
S. J. Parker
S. Jo. Parker
SJ Parker
S. Parker

The idea is trapping each area of your expertise under various different versions of your name.

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Alejandro Guevara Onofre writes:

Christopher.
I like your idea. It is genial! (made in EzineArticles). But I would like to see the flag of the COUNTRY( STATES OF THE U.S.) of author…In my case, my country PER. ..Will be a promotion for our countries. I have the “Gold Medal” in the category of Olympic Games…
Greetings
Alejandro

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Allen L. Taylor writes:

Obviously, I like this move because I have my photo uploaded. I’ve noticed that my ranking is a little higher for some categories. :-)

Judy, you can create a pen name under your account and use a different pen name for all of your niche interests. For instance, I write about Internet marketing topics and poetry. I submit all of my Internet marketing articles under one name and submit all of my poetry articles under the other name. It can something as simple as adding a middle initial or using a middle name versus not using one. It’s also a more efficient way of keeping track of your articles.

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Jennifer writes:

Wow, that was a great reply to Judy.

Not sure why, but I had in my mind that I would need to use a fake pen name if I wanted to write about different subjects… to differentiate. Wasn’t really comfortable with that.

I use my maiden name as it is… but at least I’m comfortable adding a version of my name (D’oh) to my account if I ever want to step out of my main categories.

About the pictures – top authors… I love the idea!!!

I always try to think of ways to improve EzineArticles because I have a vested interest in you guys doing well, but I would’ve never thought of that idea.

I like seeing authors rewarded for doing what’s best for their readers, themselves, and EzineArticles.

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 11:31 AM

I saw this yesterday! I LOVE it! I am always checking “Top EzineArticles Authors in the Arts-and-Entertainment:Poetry Category” to see just how far away I am from catching up authors Dennis Siluk (511 poems) and Paul Davis (395 poems). I am third so I also look at who is catching up and just how hard I have to work to keep my #3 position. Joanne Hale and Edward Weiss are my closest competitors. It is so much more fun now to check out this page and view them. ONWARD I think.. don’t let ’em catch you, move to the top! Yet 511 and 395? Ooof! I better get to it!

I LOVE it!

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Roy MacNaughton writes:

Chris:

I think you said you now have more than 560 different niche topics that folks write about.

Where in the site can one go to see what these different niches are; and how can one access an individual niche to read some of the work there; and see the authors and photos you have mentioned in this post?

Is there a search engine, or a listing of the 560+ different niches to choose from?

Thanks,

Roy
p.s. I know it is likely right under my nose; but…..

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Roy,

Go to the home page. Click near the top right where it says EXPAND ALL and you’ll see all 569 niche markets.

Search engine? 2 of them. See the Google search on top of every page of this site and in the left nav is a direct database search.

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

AH! I’m #2 in Branding!!! YAY!!!

Okay, I really did have an important comment to make, but it got lost in that venue of thrills and excitement!

I’m doing the happy dance in front of the computer. (Do you know how hard it is to type and dance?)

Nothing else is even remotely close, that I’m aware of, but I’ll be checking for those photo-uploads!

Sheesh! I haven’t been this excited since I became a Grandma!!! YAH!

Comment provided July 23, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Chris and awesome EzineArticles Team,

In one word?

EXCELLENT!

I noticed the new pic-style top ten yesterday or day before (who can tell when time folds in so quickly?) and checked quickly to see if you had blogged about it here yet.

This is, again, another excellent way to brand your authors and reward authors who use article marketing in a tight, niche-focused manner.

Blessings and Thank You.

Angela.

PS I noticed yesterday and double checked earlier that you’ve added our blog comments to our author feeds. I had added my EzineArticles feed to a social networking site and noticed my EzineArticles blog comment in that site’s widget thingy on my blog…

Thanks because, once again, you’re helping authors to link their different social networking communication tid bits together. This assists us with branding and building author-as-person intimacy and trust with our ‘publics’… ;-) Blessings and Thanks.

Comment provided July 24, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Judy H. Wright writes:

Hello everyone:

Jan, I can so clearly see you doing the dance.
That is how I look at abundance.

When I can get my buns to dance around, I must be pretty darn happy with life.

Judy H. Wright aka Auntie Artichoke, family relationship coach and author.

PS. Please accept my gift of an eBook on verbal and nonverbal communication. You can get it by clicking on http://www.UseEncouragingWords.com

Comment provided July 24, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Chris,

Just re-read the multiple branding article. Could you give a quick example of what you speak about in the second paragraph of the following?

“Rather than separating your author brands by topic, you can also separate by writing styles or perhaps even a fiction vs. not-fiction basis.

Some authors even use a unique signature line at the end of each article that ties them all together in subtle ways that does not disturb their desire to present a united message of expertise in whatever their chosen topic.”

Comment provided July 24, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Re my ps above, I realised it wasn’t the comment on this blog that I saw in the widget. It was a link to a post on this blog that I’d made at one of my social media sites to let people there know about it.

So my posting of link to EzineArticles Blog post on SM site 1 = pick-up in feed of SM site 2 with automatic 2nd re-posting on that second site to completely different, second audience + 3rd link to EzineArticles blog post via widget for 2nd SM site on my blog.

One short mini-post automatically shared on two other sites…. multi-stream posting? ;-)

Despite the mix up in the source of the comment, the Point remains the same: interlinking tid bits of communication spreads the love and builds branding and author-as-person intimacy and trust…. ;-)

Comment provided July 24, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Hi Judy!

It’s nice to see a familiar face (pun intended) on this Author enhanced site…

I’m loving this Author Enhanced Top listings thingie! I’ve found myself on a couple of listings, and I realized in the process how effective this idea is.

(I keep being accused of supporting EzineArticles too much, but … um…. you guys are GOOD!)

***Judy, thanks for the gift. I was printing it off and my son thinks it’s pretty awesome too!

Comment provided July 24, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Audrey writes:

This is going to force me to update my photo which has been on the back burner for at least a year now.

Comment provided July 24, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Emma Martin writes:

Chris, I thought we couldn’t use initials for the first or last name?

So, if I decided to upload my photo and created additional author names, such as Emma G. Martin or E G Martin or Emma Gage-Martin, it would be fine to upload the same author photo to each of these profiles?

Comment provided July 24, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Emma,

You can use initials for the first or last name, but not both.

Example of an invalid author name, per our guidelines:

C.J.
D.J.
A.M.
E.M.

In your case, you could have:

E. Martin
Emma M.

and other variations of your name, nickname or middle initials.

Comment provided July 25, 2008 at 8:05 AM

Emma Martin writes:

Thanks for clarifying, Chris. I think I will start doing that. Now to see if I have a picture I’m willing to share publicly :)

Comment provided July 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Ann writes:

I don’t have a problem with the photos or the name variations. My question is, if you are using multiple author names, should you have a different photo (and bio) for each name?

Comment provided July 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Ann,

I’d recommend a different color of clothing for each author photo you use.

I haven’t done a photo shoot in 2 years, so I’m planning on a new photo shoot in mid September and I’ll be bringing 4-5 changes of clothes… traditional black, red something, blue something & white something…

Comment provided July 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Ha, you guys! You are having fun. Can’t wait until I am one of you.

I don’t even know how to become one of you. lol

Congratulation,

Shirley Bass

Comment provided July 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Shirley,

It’s easy to join this herd of article writting ninnies! Just write lots of articles and post them on EzineArticles, then come post comments here, Chris answers them (fixes them when we screw up – lol) and you’re one of the masses.

It’s an awesome group.

Comment provided July 31, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Jan, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have to agree. This is an awesome group of people!

EA has made it very comfortable and welcoming to visit these blogs and submit articles. I truly feel a great deal of appreciation for EzineArticles and the authors.

Will do my best to get those articles rolling in, so I can be one of you (as fast as I can). lol

Shirley Bass

Comment provided August 1, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Wow, I guess, I better change my picture now?

Comment provided August 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM