Localized Niche Articles

Two years ago I wrote an article encouraging authors to write articles that were localized. Example: If you were a beach travel expert, you might write articles about each beach you’ve been to and why they are great, tips of what to bring along or how to enjoy each beach, etc.

Two months ago, I pulled that article because I saw that folks were abusing the concept by including local keywords in their article title, but then the article body didn’t offer any delivery on the promise made by the locale offered in the article title.

Effective immediately, we’re going to reject articles that mention a locale in the article title, but fail to deliver on something unique about the locale in their article body. Enough of this nonsense!

Yes. Interesting synchronicity too. Joined the presidential campaign this morning and posited the possibility for a revolution in food in the title if world citizens were able to run and win the current US campaign.

Got that I couldn’t leave it there so added pics to add visual edge to the fun… It doesn’t take much to add that local bit of info to make offerings relevant and fairly satisfying…

I’ve seen a set of articles here on EzineArticles that followed a template but filled the body with a variety of specifics about each locale.

Comment provided July 11, 2008 at 11:31 AM

I agree with this, unless for instance someone has the worlds “Holy Toledo” or something like that in the title? You see, the reason I concur on this, is because, if you trick the reader, you are hurting the credibility factor here with the articles.

Comment provided July 12, 2008 at 4:57 PM

magic taxi writes:

“Key point: Whether you’re writing about a locale or anything, you must deliver in the article body on the promises made in the article title.”
I agree.

Comment provided July 14, 2008 at 3:25 AM

Alyice writes:

Good for you! But here’s a question. Any tips on stopping this: I’ve been noticing a trend lately with people picking up articles from article directories and then inserting keywords that totally mess up the flow of the article, and thus making it “spam”. Some have even gone so far as to change the entire content and emailing them or even leaving a comment on their blogs when there is no contact information isn’t helping. I’m afraid it may be hurting our businesses as I just got a notice from comcast that a website I just recently started using in my articles has been “spammed”. And I don’t spam.

Comment provided July 14, 2008 at 9:32 AM

This happens to me too, about 5 articles a day now, it’s really upsetting me.

Comment provided July 14, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Alyice writes:

Lance, what have you been doing about it? Maybe if we all ban together we can nip this in the butt. I just hate to look poorly to my potential clients because of someone’s spam issues.

Comment provided July 14, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Alyice,

I have tried to contact the folks, they put up a new domain name everyday. They take my articles and use some computer to modify them and keep my name on it, as if I wrote that garabage? They have no way to contact them and they cloak themselves at the domain name registar. What makes me most angry is people think I am doing it, because they are my articles, or modified from my articles and they leave my name on it and a link to me. The whole thing is fraudulent, theft content and plagiarism.

I do not know where to turn them in, and if I do, it probably makes me look like the bad guy? It’s just Bullsh_t and I am very upset, I think death is a fair way to deal with this, I vote for capital punishment of these folks.

Comment provided July 14, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Alyice writes:

Lance, I hear you. It’s quite frustrating. I keep running across so-called “guru” sites that tote all these spam-like article marketing tactics–even to the point of saying it’s okay to pay someone $1 to $10 for a ghostwritten article and that they should pay no more. They aren’t gurus. They aren’t legit in my books. They’re just glorified spammers.

Comment provided July 14, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Sandy Shaw writes:

Alyce – Lance – This is so interesting to read. Over the past 4 to 6 weeks I have come across articles I am ‘supposed’ to have submitted – and when I read the pieces – it is not even English.

I have posted on two sites in the comment section – ‘Please Remove – I did not write this’ – but nothing has happened. Thank you for mentioning this. I was unaware that this was happening to others.

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Alyice writes:

Sandy, it’s becoming a huge epidemic right now.

Scrapper sites are stealing content by posting 2/3 of the content and then linking back to the article directories instead of giving proper credit to the authors, too.

I’ve also seen scrapper sites steal the first paragraph or a paragraph within the article that they believe will generate the best google adsense ads, giving the credit to the originating author, but no bio, and forgoing the rest of the article.

Scrapper sites are also, as said above, taking our content and rewriting it to fill in crappy keywords and making the article make absolutely no sense at all.

And sadly, all the sites that do illegal things are sites that use Google Adsense. It would be wonderful if Google would do a better job of monitoring who signs up for their program. It would save the rest of us a lot of headaches and a lot of misrepresentation.

I’ve contacted companies until I’m blue in the face, it’s getting to the point that I am only going to stick to a select few (five) e-zine directories for awhile to see if it can be controlled. The thing is, that the linking aspect is never from EzineArticles, but from places like articledashboard and smaller companies that aren’t very hands on when it comes to article promotion.

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM

The biggest issue for me is that I work very very hard to write articles, spend hours each day. I really believe in what I am doing. I am retired, I do not write to make money, just ot give information, insight and ideas to the world. And these sites are destroying all I am trying to do by junking up the Internet and trashing my name.

Here is an example:

And mind you this one is not as bad as most of them that really botch my articles they steal. And look at the name of the site: “Feiwrigadi.blogspot” all of them are like this. It’s like a computer randomly picks names, and these sites are destroying our credibility. And like I said this is a mild one, compared to the ones I’ve seen. Google your name alert, and see for yourself. They are creating 5-new blogs per day for just my articles and stealing them, ruining them, modifying them until they make no sense at all, just Adsense for them! I am very upset, it’s killing my motivation to write. Scum of the Earth is one label which comes to mind.

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Alyice writes:

Lance, I think signing up with Google Alerts was a smart move! I use them too. I have alerts for my name, web address and website name. You can even set up for titles of articles.

I have to give Google a little kudos. If you address your complaint to their Copyright Claims Office, they work diligently to help you remove spam blogger sites. The other sites can be fought, too, with a little more work and diligence.

I cannot remember the URL but here’s what I have copy and pasted in my Word files and use every time I come across an infringement of my copyright.

Google, Inc.
Attn: User Support, DMCA Complaints
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

Dear Google Adsense Team,

I just discovered that ____________________

I’ve searched high and low to find contact information but came up empty. I’ve left a message, in the comment box, in hopes to get some resolution to the matter. I have not received a reply and the content is still present.

This copyright infringement is also against Google’s policy.

The copyright issues I have with this site are: _____

I have good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials as described above is not authorized by the copyright owner‚¬€ME, or the law. And I swear under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner and am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.‚¬

Signed: __________________________________________

Date: _____

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Before you put the burden on Google, be sure to go through the process of contacting the offending person. If they don’t respond, bring your issue to their web host. If they don’t respond, bring your issue to the webhosts’ ISP. This strategy is a no fail, but does take some work.

In addition, if the splog is hosted by Google (Blogger/Blogspot), before you DMCA it, always use this tool to report it:

I’ve seen splogs taken down in 1 day to 6 weeks, but I am aware that they eventually do take action.

Keep in mind that DMCA records can become PUBLIC record without your permission. My recommendation is to try and handle the issue before it has to come to a DMCA complaint process.

I’ll defend Google’s AdSense policy team here because I have seen them take action on splogs who use AdSense. It’s become rare when I’ve seen a splog that is monetized with AdSense. There is always word to be done to improve it, but it’s not like the wild west it once was (and thankfully so!).

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Thanks for all this information, but can’t we just shoot em’

I mean isn’t that how they use to do it in the old West?

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Alyice writes:

LOL. I’d rather not spend the rest of my waking moments in a jail for murder, thank you. But I hear what you’re saying.

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Alyice writes:

Chris, I agree. I only use Google’s team when it refers to a blogger site.

When it’s a site that Google doesn’t own. I do try to find contact information and the web host for assistance.

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Alyice writes:

By the way, Chris…THANKS FOR THAT SPAM REPORTING LINK!!!! I am going to use it before the letter first as I didn’t know this link existed until today. KUDOS for posting it!!

Comment provided July 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM

James Hussher writes:

Yes, I had an issue awhile back where EzineArticles thought I had plagiarized one of my own articles because it was “partially” integrated into an article on some site that was weirdly based on my own last name consonants, like a computer-generated thing, but I did not own or had ever heard of! Luckily I had already had the article up for a couple of years on my own site as well. But at first glance the QC person saw my new submission and assumed I was the plagiarist rather than this other site. The site had not lifted my article intact but abridged it and changed it some. No resource box for me, naturally. I have just learned to shrug and move on, most of these sites don’t last long anyway.

Comment provided July 22, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

This is the first time I have viewed this blog. I know what Alyice and Lance are talking about. When searching for keywords related to gift baskets I come across these types of sites and articles. My reaction is YUCK!

I hope that would be the reaction for the well intentioned public as well. These articles make no sense at all.

I’ve also added my name, site and blog to Google Alerts. Thanks Lance and Alyice for that tip. I guess no one ever knows what can go wrong. Nipping it in the bud from the beginning is best.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided September 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Steve writes:

Well,

Writing an article about Nashville jobs, and mentioning a system that could greatly help the job seekers in a dying economy gets me only a cold shoulder from the EzineArticles gang.

This is serious stuff, since families are losing their
houses and everything from losing so many jobs
here in the Nashville area.

But…EzineArticles has a rule that you can no
longer write on local topics ?

That’s quite a negative thing for those
who really need to hear about this.

Comment provided October 24, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Steve,

EzineArticles has no such rule.

I’ve reviewed your account and the article in question; Please contact our member support team privately for assistance.

Comment provided October 24, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Steve writes:

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the speedy reply !

Here is a cut and paste from your statement above :

[start]

we’re going to reject articles that mention a locale in the article title

[end]

My articles mentioned the word “Nashville” in the
title and of course in the body, since it is about
a new system for job seekers to find a “Nashville
Job”.

Nashville is “locale” is it not ?

How would I mention a “locale” (Nashville ) in my
article if I am not supposed to mention a “locale”
in my article ?

Thanks.

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Steve writes:

I have written to the address that send me my
notices that my article does not pass your
rules.

They have not answered in nearly a week,
but a person named Kirk did try to help me.

Please send me a good email addy, and
I will use it.

Thanks for your help and understanding
in this situation.

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Steve,

There are many issues and in the spirit of wanting to help you, here are some thoughts:

1) No keyword or keyphrase should be repeated more than once per 100 words. This rule can be violated, but not in your article because of the combination of issues:

2) Articles shouldn’t be posted nearly anonymously. Members who are not trying to build credibility for their name lose trust points with us.

3) Resource box should include your name. It’s not that you have to, but failure to include it counts against you. It’s a clear pattern to us that thin content or SEO only written content usually fails to include the authors name in the resource box. We believe expert authors who are proud of their work should ‘claim’ their works by restating their name at the start of the resource box.

4) The article body is the GIVE. Articles that set up several pitches or benefits for your web site gets the reader all excited, but leaves them dry UNLESS they visit your website.

ie: If we can’t find any real unique value delivered in the article body without the reader surfing your website to get ‘the value’… this loses trust points.

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

First of all, Steve, this has nothing to do with your comments, but it does have to with reader trust, even on a blog.

I fail to value comments on these blogs from people who won’t use their first and last names. Some of them must not have websites at all, because they have no link to click on to see what they represent, or if they are telling the truth about what they are so eager to brag about.

I can see the value in having your name on your articles more than ever now. I once left my name off my resource box, but did type in my website name. I know better than to do that again. Chris, thanks for the info on that. I was trying out something different when I did it and did not realize it was’ ‘not’ a good thing to do.

Steve, it’s easy to see Chris’ point about author’s names in the resource box, even though I know you are very serious. Building honest trust takes effort and if what you have to say is worth it, then be proud of it. Maybe you’ll be like Joe the Plumber and Tennessee will want to run for a state office. It sounds like you want to help people.

Chris, thanks once again for the info. I certainly had a ‘heads up’ experience from it.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Steve writes:

For Chris:

1) I can work on this one.

2) Having a last name known online is not more important than knowing it offline is it ? Do you have one “trust guage” for
people offline and a second standard for those online ? Case it point : You probably dont know the last name of your butcher, car salesman, or the person who sells you the veggies you eat every week. If you were to live in New York, and bought
the hotdogs from the hotdog stand and said; ” I wont buy your hotdogs unless you tell me your last name.” The salesperson
would probably give you a few choice words… My point, if you dont require it offline but do require it online, you are living
by a double-standard. That, of course, should not be happening. The internet does not make the world a worse place. Why? Because
the sites that people think are “unsavory” online just might be owned by your next door neighbor.

I am not “nearly anonymous” anyways. My *name* is Steve. This particular point is for Shirley also. My trust from others come from interaction with them, not from what their last name may be. Let it be known, I do not trust anyone any *more* (or any less ) just because I know their last name.

3) Same as #2, but I can put my name in there. Just as I have here and in my profile. I am not being “secretive”, just safe. Nothing to hide, but neither do I want people tracking my every move.

5) ( five ? ) I can include a part from the bls.gov site that states the unemployment rate in Tennessee is high for any state in the USA. That would perhaps give it more “meat” for you guys ?

6) ! By making up rules that exclude sites like mine, you are hindering the job situation in Nashville, just because of some “bad apples” before. Sorry, I do understand, but the value of my site is such that you should reconsider. The economic and working situation is only going to get worse. Have a heart and let people know that they can bypass job services, make more money, and find jobs easier using my system. It is online, yes, but again, that is how technology is. It has to be online to work.

7) This is bigger than me, bigger than us here on the blog, and bigger than EzineArticles in general. I dont know how to say it any clearer; ” People are losing JOBS. “. The job service as it has been is a “money sucker” and my system gets rid of them, as it truly ought to be. Mine is the only way it can happen. It is about Tennesseans finding a job, and not about what you guys think about my last name and your “rules”. This can directly affect people’s lives in a positive way. I should hope you folks there at EzineArticles would want to be a part of that, especially at this time of economic hardship of most every Americans, especially those in my neighborhood.

Thanks,
Steve

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Steve writes:

Short P.S.

If you really want my last name, just call me, my phone number is on the web site. But you will have no permission to put it online.

Thanks again,
Steve

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Shirley Bass writes:

Steve, I want you to know: I truly admire your passion and concern for people and realize this is the point you are making.

There are people on these blogs that use a first name only and have no link to their site. I don’t value their opinion, and I quickly move to the next comment.

I have changed my Twitter name for privacy reasons and understand that I am hiding. I blocked someone and did not want any hassles. So, I am guilty too…

I have an online business and do not deal offline. It is important that those who read my articles find me trustworthy. They can look me up in Whois and find out what they need to know about me.

Branding is a very important part of being a business owner on or offline. In fact, how we brand ourselves, follows us throughout our lives.

Getting ready to start ‘rambling on’ now… Just had a beef I needed to get off my shoulders. Seemed like a good place to do it. Will stay out of this conversation…

Shirley Bass

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Steve writes:

Thanks Shirley,

I appreciate that. I want everyone to have their say.

I see what is happening in my country and the little guy is getting set up for big fall. In a town of about 20,000 near here, (Shelbyville) they are shutting down a plastics plant and the 260+ workers are going to be “out there”. That is a lot for that small of a town.

My system could truly help them, and that is what it is designed to do; *help*.

I never even knew this blog existed till a couple of days ago.

It is nice for Chris to provide this for feedback…so…
thanks Chris.

I realized today I have written way more here on this blog than on the article I am trying to get approved…

Thanks,
Steve

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Steve,

I haven’t seen your article for obvious reasons, but I did look at your homepage. You do have something to write about and tell all of Tennessee!

Good luck,

Shirley Bass

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Hmm, well I had an article kicked back on Friday, yes, I have about 1-2 per hundred articles kicked back for something, usually breaking rules in the title or something of that nature.

But on Friday, I had one kicked back that had way too many repeats of a key word; “mobile oil change” and you know when I wrote it, it looked okay, I didn’t really think about, but then I used the Google Tool Bar, high-lighter and noticed that I used that word like 12 times in 333 word article. Obviously, that was out of control. Whoops!

You know it’s easy to do, so folks you need to pay attention to this, because a reader might notice and feel you are SEO’ing them, and that might upset them a tad bit.

Comment provided October 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Steve,

“4) My article is not about pitching, it is about explaining the features of my site, which is a very unique site. If you have read my article that does not pass the rules, I state plainly that it will never benefit someone if they do not use it. My article was informative, and explains the superiority of it over the current way of doing things in the Nashville Job Market.”

That is one of the primary issues. Imagine if everyone wrote an article talking about how their website was superior or just listed the benefits. It would be informative I’m sure, but in our eyes, it’s a blatant sales pitch.

Restating one of our primary tenets:

Article Body Is The Give;
Resource Box Is The Take.

The article body must have ZERO pitch, ZERO ‘take’ for the author. It’s your turn to “TAKE” in the Resource Box only.

Your comment point #7: Your article topic and your website is NOT the issue here at all. It had ZERO impact on our inability to accept this particular article.

I recommend that you consider re-framing the article so that you give specific unique tips & don’t mention your website or any setup for your website pitch in the article body.

Comment provided October 26, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Steve writes:

Hello Chris:

Your mentioning this :

“Imagine if everyone wrote an article talking about how their website was superior or just listed the benefits. It would be informative I’m sure, but in our eyes, it’s a blatant sales pitch.”

Is EXACTLY why my site is unique. There is nothing else like it for Nashville, or for the whole state of Tennessee for that
matter. It literally *is* a superior system.

I have tried to calculate how much just my city would make if we could get rid of the job/temporary services here in my area.

It came out to about $8000 dollars a DAY that I could save just my town. Now multiply that
by about 100 or so towns across the state of Tennessee and you see why what I have to offer is not only superior but is direly in need of some promotion. My system is unique enough that I copyrighted it. I suppose
I should patent it, lest the job services get wind of it and ruin the whole idea of saving money, eh ?

I could care less if “everyone” talks about how superior their site or system is. Its up to the reader to decide.
Have you read my site ? You decide if my system is superior or not, instead of mentioning how others
*say* theirs is better. Mine is better AND copyrighted AND the state of Tennessee needs it. Period.

Will you help your fellow American in the coming days of economic hardship ?

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. I will reiterate a bit on the “last name”
thing. I do think people who include their
last name in their work online are for the most
part trying to show that they are being honest
online. I appreciate that.

Comment provided October 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Steve,

We’re not disputing whether your site is a superior site or not.

That’s not what we keyed in on.

We are paying attention that your article body is self promoting your website and was written very efficiently for the search engines (super efficiency is a red flag).

We don’t have to look at your website because we didn’t even get that far in the review of your article. Looking at your URL is the last step before an article gets approved.

You want to promote your Nashville jobs site? Write articles that gives VERY specific unique bullet points or numbered lists of ideas and suggestions for how people can find jobs in Nashville WITHOUT mentioning your URL in the article body. You could also mention which strategies don’t work to get jobs in Nashville unlike other areas around the country. Talk about the specific business culture in Nashville. Compare & contrast.

Comment provided October 26, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Steve writes:

I did not mention my URL in the body of the article. I mentioned the name of the system. I specifically did not include any URLS at all in the body of the article.

Please acknowledge and clarify that if you answer this post. I don’t want to seem to have been a “rule-breaker”. I try to keep rules whenever possible. My URL is NOT mentioned in the article body.

Comment provided October 27, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Steve,

You’re kind of putting me in a hard place here because we don’t do public member support especially when it requires talking about your data that is not public.

This has become a slippery slope that in order for me to give you more clarity, I need to disclose data that is not public.

I recommend that if you’d like further assistance, that you kindly contact our support team directly.

You are correct that you did not include your URL in the article body. That wasn’t the issue. I’ll email you privately what the issue was.

Comment provided October 27, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Steve writes:

Thanks for clarifying that I did not put any URLS in the body of my article.

Okay, no more discussion about my article.

I just learned from Jacob that the bold tag is
allowed, but just in headers. I also learned that
simply because I mentioned that my system
works in other cities in Tennessee besides Nashville, that Nashville can not be mentioned.

I’m outa here.

I have used up ten times more of my
time writing on this blog than on
my own promotion of a system that
is everything my original article claims.
It was a simple proclaiming of facts
that unfortunately is not allowed.

Thanks and a good day to everyone,
Steve

Comment provided October 27, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Asheesh Jain writes:

Hi Chris!
I am a content provider who has been facing lot of flak form my clients because of this rule. First of, I am totally ‚¬“for‚¬ this rule and I have nothing against it. Honestly, this rule should have been implemented much before.

The reason why I am writing to you is the arbitrary nature in which your editors are implementing this rule. I have several examples where mediocre articles with no specific local information have been published and at the same time, several articles with authentic locale specific information being rejected. Since, I am obliged to hide my client’s identities I am not quoting examples.

But when I say this, I have strong reasons to say so. I am sure you must be providing guidelines to your editors. But it will be great if you can offer them specific training/clear cut guidelines to deal with this rule. Discriminatory and arbitrary actions by your editors definitely leave a bad taste in the mouth of your loyal members.

Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes
Asheesh

Comment provided February 20, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Garth Meaney writes:

Can this be fair? I wrote an article about keywords under the title Home Based Businesses and the Third Reich. The Third Reich was a humorous comment about the keyword “feathers” in that I wrote The Third Reich and the Featherland. Presumably my article was rejected because it wasn’t about Nazi Germany?

Comment provided March 11, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Garth,

I’ve looked into this issue and the issue is more that you mentioned a promise in the article title that didn’t get delivered in the article body.

Articles don’t lend themselves to humor or inferred meaning sometimes…and I think this just may have been one of those times. Sorry.

Comment provided March 12, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Andre writes:

Christopher,

I suggest that EzineArticles clarify this local article policy a little further and give some specifics. Having one sentence of guidance “we’re going to reject articles that mention a locale in the article title, but fail to deliver on something unique about the locale in their article body” is pretty vague.

I realize the importance of dealing with the type of abuse you are talking about having to go back and forth over article specifics is a waste of time for everyone involved – your staff and the authors. If you give us some more specifics those who want to play by the rules will try out best to satisfy them.

Regards,
Andre’

Comment provided March 13, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Andre,

It’s like when you mention a very specific locale in the article title and then the article body could easily be used for any locale.

Do you see the article title promise violation that the above scenario creates?

It would be different if the article title had a specific locale mentioned and then the article body gave numerous very specific tips and information relating to the specific locale mentioned.

That’s the rule to play by.

The short cut that too many members are doing is that they mention a very specific locale and then proceed to give no specifics in the article body that could apply to the specific locale mentioned in their title.

Comment provided March 13, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Ben Pate writes:

Maybe we could be provided with several examples of articles that mention a locale in the title that adhere to the guidelines.

I have also had some locale articles rejected and after careful examination of the guidelines and making sure the title delivered on the promise made in the title, we added a paragraph that was specific to that location. The article was still rejected.

Obviously, like others here we dont want to waste our time or ezinearticle’s time.

Comment provided April 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Ben,

What an incredible idea. In fact, it would be nice to have links on the “RULES” section of this site. “See Examples” link button at the top, where this would go to another page with the rules, but after each rule would be an article that is right and one that is wrong. “Right” and “Wrong” links. After each line of every rule. It might take a little work to do this, but it would be so very beneficial to the authors and in the end would save countless hours by editors while uplifting the quality of articles for this website? What are your thoughts on this?

Comment provided April 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM

rob writes:

Quote: “Your articles have been placed in problem status because they contain specific locations (UK, etc.) in the Titles and Article Bodies, but the content of the article is not specific to these locations.”

My title is: “Alli Pills UK – Powerful U.S Slimming Pills Now Sold Over the Counter in the UK ”

Aside from informing people searching on weight loss that this pill is now sold in the UK – Do I really need to give bog geographical details about the United Kingdom?

If so should I state this:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK, or Britain)is a country and constitutional monarchy located off the northwestern coast of continental Europe. It is an island country, spanning an archipelago including Great Britain, the northeastern part of Ireland, and many small islands. Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK with a land border, sharing it with the Republic of Ireland.

Is that the sort of detail you require – could you please clarify as I feel each article should be analyzed on it’s specific titles intent.

Thanks.

Comment provided May 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Rob,

No, that’s not the kind of LOCALIZED data we’re seeking. What you included is vague and looks copied from someplace (even if it wasn’t).

We’d reject the title because it’s clearly an SEO-only focused title. “Alli Pills UK” makes zero sense to us. A better title might be:

“Powerful U.S Slimming Alli Pills Now Sold Over the Counter in the UK”

Based on your title, we’d expect to see some kind of informative / educational overview on the who, what, where, when, why, and how those pills are being sold in the UK.

What are the market expectations for this pill in terms of the sales it’ll enjoy in the UK compared to the USA?

Who in the UK specifically is selling these pills? Why? How might people in the UK react differently to these pills vs. their US counterparts?

…and so forth.

KEY POINT:

Essentially, we’re trying to take all of the incentive away to write for localized search if you’re not a true expert from the locale being promised a benefit about in the article title.

Comment provided May 5, 2009 at 1:08 AM

rob writes:

Brilliant – Thanks Chris,

That great clarification.

Much appreciated.

Comment provided May 5, 2009 at 1:29 AM

rob writes:

“” A better title might be:

‚¬“Powerful U.S Slimming Alli Pills Now Sold Over the Counter in the UK‚¬ “”

Unfortunately even following your advise using the title above my articles are still rejected.

I think each article title should be judged in context.

Just because “powerfull” Alli slimming pills are now sold in the UK – if i was reading this article, I would be interested in finding out what Alli slimming pills are, what they do and so forth.

I would be less concerned about demographic statistics.

You mentioned:

“who, what, where, when, why, and how those pills are being sold in the UK”

Who? Who are Alli made by – Glaxo Smith Kline – Answered.

I did.

What? What are they? Fat blocking pills – Answered in detail.

Where? Where are they sold? In Boots chemists – Answered.

Why? Why are they sold in uk? To corner new market perhaps – Answered.

How? How are they being sold? Through Boots again – Answered.

Result – All three still rejected – Same reason.

Just because a country is mentioned in the title it should not mean it is mandatory to go into exhausting demographic detail.

Like I said, I believe each title should be judged on Merit – not just scanned and ignored time and time again.

If the title was: “How Alli sales compare from U.S to UK” – then the subject of the title requires specific geographic statistics to be answered.

Like you mentioned:

‚¬“Powerful U.S Slimming Alli Pills Now Sold Over the Counter in the UK‚¬

…Doesn’t.

Comment provided May 20, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Rob,

I believe what Chris was saying when he offered you this title was this if you are going to include UK in the title, then it only makes sense to add the importance of that locale to the discussion in the article. He offered you this feedback: “some kind of informative / educational overview on the who, what, where, when, why, and how those pills are being sold in the UK.”

I have read your article and without being overly specific so as not to comment on private information, I am using your examples to clarify. Your examples are not specific to the UK but the article is specific to the product. Using UK in the title adds no extra value to your reader as the information is geared to the product. Removing the mentions of UK in the article and title does not change the value of the article.

A good note to keep in mind: A good niche article should be locale specific throughout. If your article loses its value with the loss of the locale, then your article was niche/locale specific.

Comment provided May 20, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Steve Kellaway writes:

I am having trouble with this rule as I see that a lot of people are. I can clearly see the reason for it however in my case I think it is misguided.

I am a Mortgage Broker in Australia and I run a company teaching people how to become a Mortgage Broker in Australia.

I wrote an article specifically showing people in detail ‘how to become a Mortgage Broker “in Australia”‘ and yet I am forced by this rule to remove the “in Australia” part of the title. Now my article is supposed to be more relevant to people!?? What the!! I am sure someone reading the article in the future in say Lithuania might not agree! Surely adding the “in Australia” gives people a clue that the article is related only to people wanting to get into the Mortgage Broking industry IN AUSTRALIA!!!!

A bit (*^%&^ed off here!

Steve

Comment provided October 6, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Steve,

Blame it on the “local search” spammers who have ruined it for us all.

I have not reviewed your case specifically, but I’m guessing the issue was that your article body could stand by itself and contained nothing about the locale of Australia?

In fact, I did find your account but I don’t see any articles rejected for this issue. It appears your last article was published in April 2009. Do you have more than one account with us?

Steve Kellaway writes:

Thanks for the reply Christopher, the article has now been approved after two rejections. Sorry for venting. I do appreciate the issue.

Steve

Randy Gillespie writes:

Like many others I too am strugggling with the location in the title. I specialize in Illinois and missouri health insurance. Getting started with Illinois I have Illinois in my title as well as the body of the article. Even I have given specific information about how things are different in Illinois compared to other states the articles are still being rejected. Since I’m not licensed to sell in other states at the moment what value would I get from taking Illinois out of my title? I’m doing my best to figure this out but it is frustrating. Does anyone have any good ideas other than sell in the entire US?

Comment provided November 3, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Randy,

Your expertise does not only lie with Illinois. It is specific to insurance and this is what you should deliver. Think of Illinois as bonus information to your article and only use it in your article body if need be.

I have seen many great articles deliver locales in the article by offering very specific information to the language that made it unique to the article. And it was omitted from the title all-together.

Randy Gillespie writes:

Penny
While I understand where your coming from, my questions would be: I’m trying to help consumers in Illinois with their health insurance needs. Where I am a specialist. If I take Illinois out of the title and the body of the article they wouldn’t be able to find it when they do a key word search like “Illinois health insurance” would they? Also heaven forbid, if I write a great article with excellent content, but it’s incorrect or wrong for consumer say in California, who does that help? It’s like we are being forced to compete nationwide and that’s not my market. Although I know insurance in Il & MO extremely well, I also know it’s different in other states. That’s my dilemma. I don’t want to write something that someone takes my advice on and it turn out to be incorrect.
I appreciate your response.
P.S. Just trying to get a handle on how I can help the people I’d like to help and giving good quality content that can be found on the internet at the same time.

Randy,

A question to ask yourself:

What could you write about that would help Illinois consumers with their health insurance needs that is highly specific to Illinois… so specific, that it wouldn’t apply to almost any other state or country?

If you don’t or can’t find a way to do the above, your article gets put in the same class as what we call “local search spam” where it’s clear that the author only cared about targeting local searchers and that their article body failed to deliver any unique value that was promised in the title.

Your article TITLE is a PROMISE and your article BODY must deliver on that promise. If you put Illinois in the article title, your article body must absolutely deliver specifically on that title.

If we don’t hold this line in the sand that has been drawn, we end up delivering a poor user experience because the article body doesn’t deliver on the promise in the title.

Ben Pate writes:

If you want to do articles this way. What you need to do is write the article for the city or location as if you were doing it for tourism or something. Talk about land marks that are specific to that location.

Take a look at this for an example.

Hope this helps everyone here.

Comment provided November 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM